KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

3 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

dm? and did not touch any of them

Here is another view

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.05.24 - 12.38.00.03.png

yeh see those pois are not how they look now you are using a old cp pois with the new list. 

here is what i suggest. Remove all your cp pois from your game folder. 

then re download the cp47 kinggen and grab the new pois and place them in the game folder. 

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

@gpcstargate in console type dm enter then escape then hit f3 then fly into or around a poi to get the name of it. However you are using outdated and old versions of the pois this is why your pois are badly spawned. so new maps wont fix that.  You need to update your prefabs in your prefabs folder because as of cp46 many pois went thru fixes and changes.

17 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

The list was created on 4/28/21 .. so there is a newer one .. correct.

not talking bout the list lol. the list you have is correct. your prefabs in your game prefab folder are old versions (possibly as far back as cp45 or before)

1 hour ago, stallionsden said:

@gpcstargate in console type dm enter then escape then hit f3 then fly into or around a poi to get the name of it. However you are using outdated and old versions of the pois this is why your pois are badly spawned. so new maps wont fix that.  You need to update your prefabs in your prefabs folder because as of cp46 many pois went thru fixes and changes.

not talking bout the list lol. the list you have is correct. your prefabs in your game prefab folder are old versions (possibly as far back as cp45 or before)

OK .. there could been some Old Files within game folder .. SO I JUST uninstalled 7d2d and reinstalled ALL New game files from Steam .. delete everything that was related to TFP even in the App files .. SO we we will be starting with a 100% fresh game and a new CP47 file. ( Might have been some old files from Nitrogen or War3zuk in the old stuff. ) 

WE Shall Build AGAIN ... Stable A19.4 b7

Thank You again ... The Old Gamer .. 😌

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

OK .. there could been some Old Files within game folder .. SO I JUST uninstalled 7d2d and reinstalled ALL New game files from Steam .. delete everything that was related to TFP even in the App files .. SO we we will be starting with a 100% fresh game and a new CP47 file. ( Might have been some old files from Nitrogen or War3zuk in the old stuff. ) 

WE Shall Build AGAIN ... Stable A19.4 b7

Thank You again ... The Old Gamer .. 😌

Awesome always good to clean game each release whether it be a mod a overhaul or even vanilla.  

Stallionsden 

Just found this map generator, and it is a true GEM!

According to my first observations after generated some maps with different sizes, im used with CP47 pack for Kinggen i can tell cities does not likely generated in snow biomes. Only smaller villages spawned there but no cities. Roads rarely go through bigger POIs (CP47?), at least on the preview screenshots and sometimes generating in a weird, sharp angles to connect cities next to each other.

Otherwise it is a very nice program, fast as hell, 8K maps took only 40-50 sec to be generated on my computer, 16K generation lasts like 5 min (including preview). Keep up the good work!

9 hours ago, magejosh said:

Yeah, that's what my plan is. I'm planning on just packaging it with, and one for nitrogen and rwg. But i'm really thinking I want to abandon support for everything except kinggen, it's the best maps i've played on by far. And I don't need any features added for it to be that, making the local generation list is easy thanks to kinggen. A20 rwg is gonna have to be mindboggling if it wants to compete with this tool in quality. 

Im in the same place really. King has been helping a lot to port a few needed features over. I use a mix of Gaia for Unity and Nitro to create my height maps, but Im hopeful to have all my generation over into King Gen by A20.

I agree about RWG having to be something out of this world to compete with what we are all working on. King and I and a few others are talking now about a community repository of height maps, so you guys will have more than enough to play with to probably never want or need anything else.

Its taken me a while, but I also think Ive found the right combination of map makers to start doing collaborative hand made maps, which Im hoping will cut down all of our map release times and make ultra unique worlds...

31 minutes ago, kexes said:

An option that forces the generated maps to contain at least 1 of every available POIs would be appreciated :)

Its not always entirely possible. There are a few things to consider. 1 -  Overpopulating maps over a certain point bleaches out the terrain and turns the map into a jumbled parking lot full of prefabs. 2 - Compo Pack, which is the default 'community' set has steadily grown, and is set to grow even larger from what Wolf tells me, is reaching a point where you have so much to choose from, that you wont be able to use the entire set in a coherent fashion. More choice is never ever a bad thing, I think it just underlines the fact that its in everyone's interest to learn how to make prefab lists that suit their individual needs.

King has some epic plans for customization, and I think once it gets to into the hands of the overhaul admins and more map makers hands, youll start to see really interesting combinations. The latest medieval style set released to CP by VitaminE is a great example. Ive made some EPIC medieval areas, but that said, i dont necessarily want to see those mixed into my modern towns and cities, so i set up accordingly. Compared to where we all used to be, this much variety is really a wonderful thing.

*Also, the best way to ensure you get everything, (if thats what you really want) is to use a flat map and just add lakes and rivers. I love making varied terrain maps, but its still possible to make decent flat maps if your mixer quality is good.

Edited by Cpt Krunch (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, kexes said:

An option that forces the generated maps to contain at least 1 of every available POIs would be appreciated :)

best bet is to create a bigger world 12k or such. 

having a flat world will not work as there are pois that have large bunkers underneath and require the mountains to spawn in properly. so you would have these pois sticking a mile in the air lol. 

the medievil stuff does not spawn in cities or towns either they spawn in rural areas as unfort at this stage custom towns are not possible in kinggen.

Do you really feel the need to follow up every single message I write that mentions Compo Pack?

Your mixer is not the only mixer used. And the way Nitro spawns things, they do show up close to modern buildings and look awful.

Also, did you even try to make these look realistic? Jeepers dude, looks like a 5th grader painted half of this.

Also, you can totally use a flat world, you just need to set the map level higher.

Edited by Crater Creator
off topic & personal attacks (see edit history)

11 hours ago, stallionsden said:

best bet is to create a bigger world 12k or such.

Yeah i think about generating a 12K or a 16K map, but i dont know how that will affect the memory usage of the game, which is already eats up the 16GB RAM in my system sometimes, and starts constantly writing to my SSD because of the pagefile 😕 I think i must lower the texture size to "Half" from "Full" to avoid this... Or is there any other method to reduce memory usage?

Edited by kexes (see edit history)

Good Day . KingSlayerGM

I have a Problem Now .. I totally uninstalled and Reinstalled 7D2D game to make sure I had a Clean Game and Now using KingGen with Your Combo-pack

I CAN NOT get any of the custom building to show on map .. they are all Vanilla building ... I tried _ 2 - 8k and 1 - 10k .. the maps look good, but no custom buildings ........ and using a Large Grid " Look a bit empty ", Lol ........... Here is a copy of the work page.

DO I also need to add the CP47 to the Vanilla prefab folder in the game folder ?? for it to generate properly. 

I did not at this time, because of the way your system works .. didn't think I had to.

Thank You again ... the Old Gamer .. 😌

EDIT: .. Ok .. After reading again .. I do need to put the CP47 .. Prefab list folder into game folder and replace the existing one and I will save the Vanilla one  untouched ........ if I read it correctly .. I give it a try and hope.

Desktop Screenshot 2021.05.25 - 08.43.55.07 (2).png

Edited by gpcstargate (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

EDIT: .. Ok .. After reading again .. I do need to put the CP47 .. Prefab list folder into game folder and replace the existing one and I will save the Vanilla one  untouched ........ if I read it correctly .. I give it a try and hope.

CP47 have seperated file names from vanilla, starting all with "xcostum_" so it does not overwrite anything in the vanilla prefab set. You just need to copy all of the CP47 prefab files to your game directory \7dtd\data\prefabs\

Edited by kexes (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, gpcstargate said:

Good Day . KingSlayerGM

One question .......... IS there anything that can be done about multi POI's in the same area ?? No Biggy _ Just wondering as in photo of New 10k Map.

Other than That, So Far everything looks good.

7 Days to Die Screenshot 2021.05.25 - 13.29.45.83.png

I think that poi is pretty small, so that's why it gets picked a lot. I could add a strict limit to the same poi in the same city. I have to experiment with that.

I tried it out on Linux and it works great!

Two questions:

Would it be possible to add custom radiation zones, like the heightmap or biomes?

Is there any reason why you have to generate a square map or would it be possible to do something like a 2048x4096 map?

Thanks, keep up the great work!

2 hours ago, Snackiz said:

Would it be possible to add custom radiation zones, like the heightmap or biomes?

There are different types of radiation, or levels of radiation, depends what you are trying to achieve.

2 hours ago, Snackiz said:

Is there any reason why you have to generate a square map or would it be possible to do something like a 2048x4096 map?

This used to be easier to do. The problem is getting the other files the biomes etc to line up. In general its no longer worth attempting. I know there is a modlet out there somewhere that allow for non standard sizes, but the same rules still apply. For stability if for no other reason, its usually not worth doing.

@gpcstargate and others interested:

I tried setting a strict rule of no poi repetition inside the same city, but the result is large empty lots with no pois, which is very ugly. For now the system will remain as it is. If you really want to avoid repetition I suggest small cities, small towns, small vllages, large grid size, and long poi list. These settings will reduce the chances of repetition.

Any expert programmer that has an idea for an algorithm, please share. Keep in mind that when picking a poi for a specific lot there are 5 requirements:
1) it must fit in the lot,

2) it must be a city poi if building a city, or a town poi if building a town,

3) it must be compatible with the zone(downtown,iindustrial...) of the city,

4) it must be compatible with the biome

5) it should avoid repetition

15 hours ago, Cpt Krunch said:

There are different types of radiation, or levels of radiation, depends what you are trying to achieve.

I would like to set up a perimeter for the map, so that the player does not wander off from a smaller area that is custom built. That area is not covering the entire map and is not square. KingGen seems to generate all maps as islands with water around them instead of radiation zones, which does not fit for the map I have in mind.

I was not aware that there were different types or levels of radiation. I would like to know more about this, but we might be getting off topic from the KingGen world generator.

7 minutes ago, Snackiz said:

I would like to set up a perimeter for the map, so that the player does not wander off from a smaller area that is custom built. That area is not covering the entire map and is not square. KingGen seems to generate all maps as islands with water around them instead of radiation zones, which does not fit for the map I have in mind.

I was not aware that there were different types or levels of radiation. I would like to know more about this, but we might be getting off topic from the KingGen world generator.

KingGen 8 will have customization for the world border.

Depending on the time I might also add support for custom radiation. But in the meantime you can just make your own radiation file and then swap it in the world's folder after the generation.

14 minutes ago, Snackiz said:

Easiest way to deal with this in the short term, is to create a vanilla RWG map the same size as the map youve made in KingGen. The file is called 'Radiation.png' Throw that file into your custom map folder and you are done.

2021-05-26_12h13_30.png

11 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

KingGen 8 will have customization for the world border.

Depending on the time I might also add support for custom radiation. But in the meantime you can just make your own radiation file and then swap it in the world's folder after the generation.

Cool! If it's that easy, then I'm perfectly happy with it. Thanks again for a great generator!

4 minutes ago, Cpt Krunch said:

Easiest way to deal with this in the short term, is to create a vanilla RWG map the same size as the map youve made in KingGen. The file is called 'Radiation.png' Throw that file into your custom map folder and you are done.

2021-05-26_12h13_30.png

Perfect, thanks!

Speaking of radiation, would it be possible to say, tag a POI in the list so that when it gets placed, it adds to the radiation.png automatically? I have some POIs in my mod that I want to be radiated no matter what and this would be nice for that. I'm currently just using entities, but this would be cleaner.

Linux Mint 19.3 here with Python 3.6 installed (the default, everything still fully supported).  While I could upgrade my Python to 3.8 is there any real reason to require the later version be installed?  Will it not work on older versions?