Disable the creative menu?

dan

I play solo or with my kids, and having the option to just type cm, then hit u and grab anything I need is too tempting sometimes.  I get into a situation where I can't seem to find a crucible or schematic for one, it's just too easy to grab one from the creative menu.  I want that to not be an option and to force me to work harder.  

I have no self control.  I need help.  Is there a hotline or something?  Maybe meetings I can attend?  A 12 step program?  Or easier, just changing something in the xml files.

We need a mod which adds 50 to gamestage every time a player takes an object from the creative menu. Oh, you really need that crucible, huh? And an auger? Enjoy your radiated horde on Day 14, pal.

Same for 'settime' to set the clock backwards, which is my weakness. The base just isn't ready yet!

41 minutes ago, dan said:

I play solo or with my kids, and having the option to just type cm, then hit u and grab anything I need is too tempting sometimes.  I get into a situation where I can't seem to find a crucible or schematic for one, it's just too easy to grab one from the creative menu.  I want that to not be an option and to force me to work harder.  

I have no self control.  I need help.  Is there a hotline or something?  Maybe meetings I can attend?  A 12 step program?  Or easier, just changing something in the xml files.

For me it's the "I've already built this base 50 times, using frames as scaffolding, "F it"  /types cm then closes the menu and hits "H"

31 minutes ago, Grolbu said:

In the Advanced Options tab when you load into a game the second to last option is 'Cheat Mode On/Off>.  The tooltip says "sets if creative mode and tools are allowed". That could be what you're after ?

Saddly, "cm" in console can bypass that option.

After forcing me to delete any save when i used cm, i learned to control myself. 

So there is no way to remove that temptation?  Can it be modded out in the xml files?  Or change the command from 'cm' to something horrible like 'CM&DSFBKE F4JHSDGYRIUB(*$BIUGRFUSRT*(" so that I'll never be able to use it?

2 hours ago, dan said:

So there is no way to remove that temptation?  Can it be modded out in the xml files?  Or change the command from 'cm' to something horrible like 'CM&DSFBKE F4JHSDGYRIUB(*$BIUGRFUSRT*(" so that I'll never be able to use it?

Break your C key on your keyboard and replace it with a nail....youll learn fast.....😅

11 hours ago, Darthjake said:

For me it's the "I've already built this base 50 times, using frames as scaffolding, "F it"  /types cm then closes the menu and hits "H"

For me, it was "I scoured half the map to build this 4x4 and I'll be damned if I'm losing it to some vulture @%$*#!.  Let me get a few repair kits." or "Huh.  My base didn't render properly and half of it collapsed on itself; well, let's just fix up what I should have had."

I did use it to cheat in a bunch of farm plots as well when vultures attacked my farm plot roof and destroyed it.

12 minutes ago, Dracula said:

For me, it was "I scoured half the map to build this 4x4 and I'll be damned if I'm losing it to some vulture @%$*#!.  Let me get a few repair kits." or "Huh.  My base didn't render properly and half of it collapsed on itself; well, let's just fix up what I should have had."

I did use it to cheat in a bunch of farm plots as well when vultures attacked my farm plot roof and destroyed it.

Wouldn't help me. On day 16, just finished my bedrock bunker. Transferred all my stuff, got 6 forges smelting. Go out to loot bit while they smelt. Come back, chunk error and no more base.

Just now, Dethar said:

Wouldn't help me. On day 16, just finished my bedrock bunker. Transferred all my stuff, got 6 forges smelting. Go out to loot bit while they smelt. Come back, chunk error and no more base.

Had that happen, too.  That's normally where I go; "OK, so that's how it's going to be, huh?" and proceed to build a base that completely blows realism out of the water.

Not trying to be a @%$*#! here but with you stating you have kids I need to get it out, I think you need to work on your self control more than you need any option to make it so you don't have a choice. Patience and self control are values you need to pass onto your children, and this only works by demonstration, not by words.

/rant

I thought I was bad by spawning in decorative items such as the iron walkways, the nice blue iron doors, plus a pool table for the rec room etc, back in A18... but I always 'gave back' the equivalent mats (ie taking the wooden walkway recipe mats, and destroying the equivalent amount of forged iron or steel)
I originally thought this was why, at gamestage 1000, I still never got the achievement, but turns out it was because I turned hordes off (it got to a stage where it was just an inconvenience and a boring chore to deal with them every 7 days 😄)

3 minutes ago, ROSSO_D said:

I thought I was bad by spawning in decorative items such as the iron walkways, the nice blue iron doors, plus a pool table for the rec room etc, back in A18... but I always 'gave back' the equivalent mats (ie taking the wooden walkway recipe mats, and destroying the equivalent amount of forged iron or steel)
I originally thought this was why, at gamestage 1000, I still never got the achievement, but turns out it was because I turned hordes off (it got to a stage where it was just an inconvenience and a boring chore to deal with them every 7 days 😄)

My wife does that all the time for decor items she can't buy and because she likes the fancy wooden doors for inside her base.

Just now, Darthjake said:

I had that happen once, I was like WTF?

That just kills me; otherwise, apart from fixing things that are glitched or adding decorative blocks, the main use I have for the cheat menu is whenever a new feature is implemented as a sort of testing to see how it functions and whether or not I want to bother with it.

Archived