Might be a stupid question, but...

Rizzano

Last time I checked (back in Alpha 10 or something), you just needed skylights and enough space for plants to grow. So, if you have the height and width and a skylight near it, theoretically, it might still grow. But of all things, why a tree underground?

Last time I checked (back in Alpha 10 or something), you just needed skylights and enough space for plants to grow. So, if you have the height and width and a skylight near it, theoretically, it might still grow. But of all things, why a tree underground?

As of 18.3, skylights still worked. A tunnel to the surface, which can still be covered up iron bars at the surface level (glass would probably also work), will provide light to the underground farm, directly on that square and radiating out around from that square for at least 3 more squares in all directions.

A seed block will not place if there is insufficient light or ground fertility so I doubt that this will be a problem. =)

Wait a minute, you're saying just light... did you change it again to allow torch / flood lights to work again?

If it's within reach of the skylight (an unbroken* line of empty space right to the surface) it'll grow just as it would at the surface. That line of reach is - I think! - 3 or more spaces, but you could test that.

* iron bars and glass won't break that line of sight to the surface

So, if the "sunlight" spread out over 2 tiles say, you could do this:

ooooo

ooooo

ooXoo

ooooo

ooooo

...where X is the vertical tunnel to the surface (which you could top with iron bars for example to stop zombies falling through).

Everything planted in that 5x5 grid, so 25 squares in total, would grow just as fast as it would at the surface.

You'll do well to test it while digging; the numbers and shapes given here don't seem to match to my experience, but I haven't done an underground farm in a while..

Try placing a farm plot to test with a seed

My gut instincts;

- the light will cover 7 blocks from the shaft but it forms a diamond shape. From the center 7 to the sides, and the ends of those are connected diagonally.

- trees will need plenty free height, but I don't think they need any space for branches - other than for looks of course, waving branches growing out of a rock look a lil silly...

- different plants need different free height, the taller the plant graphic.. I think corn requires 3

- also, while planning, remember you'll need to be installing the farm plots, that'll increase your height requirement by one. Not usually a huge deal but in case you're building the garden in layers out of concrete, you'll might end... yeah, did that once. Not a good day :)

So, if I plant the seed under the ceiling without straight lighting by the sunlight, would it grow slower?

────────── <<< ceiling

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ <<<plant

口口 口 口口 <<<farmland

As far as I know and have observed, there is only one growing speed. Growth is all or nothing.

Archived