You're going to have to spend some money to make money.

Mephistopheles

I understand that the devs aren't focused on making sure that every item has accurate tooltip info and explanations in the in-game journal, or in depth info listed in the wiki pages. But the game is not intuitive at all, especially with all the new and changed mechanics. And if people aren't willingly taking their own time to update the wiki for you, I would contend that it's still very important for retaining new players and obtaining new customers who can read into the game and see how things work, and not have to rely on 5 year old information that hasn't been relevant since A15 or w/e....

Your tooltips and journal are bad. Your wiki is bad and nobody is fixing it for you for free. So pay some money and make your game make more sense and look more professional.

Also, the search feature of this site and how it spits out google search results doesn't help people find updated new info at all.

I dunno, I think it may be easier to search for info in an up to date wiki than watch an hour video that you don't even know if what you want to know is even in there. If you want to know how to make first aid kits someone streaming might not even do it during their stream...and might not mention how unless someone asks in chat. And even then they may not as they may be concentrating on what they are doing.

I know it’s just an example you were throwing out but by time someone can make first aid kits I think they will have gotten the hang of crafting from the more basic recipes.

I’m not against having a nice wiki but I can’t see them throwing money down the toilet to get a nice professional wiki for A18 only to then release A19 and now it’s outdated.

Look at all the wasted effort some well meaning volunteers made to create the current wiki in which none of the art matches any longer what’s in the game not to mention all the gameplay changes that would warrant all new descriptions and tutorials.

Meph’s scolding is just premature but I appreciate that he wants the game and company to come across as professional looking.

I wonder how critical an updated wiki is compared with the ability to watch YouTube videos and streamed gameplay that is up to date and current.

The trend of regarding videos as replacement for written documentation is surely a sign of the apocalypse. :bolt:

In all seriousness though, I don't think TFP should be held accountable for the state of the wiki. But I do think an official(ish) effort to keep it maintained might be a good thing to try, if it hasn't been done already.

I wonder how critical an updated wiki is compared with the ability to watch YouTube videos and streamed gameplay that is up to date and current.

While OP comes off as a bit hostile, I agree wholeheartedly with Gamida and Alphaniner on this one.

-Morloc

I know it’s just an example you were throwing out but by time someone can make first aid kits I think they will have gotten the hang of crafting from the more basic recipes.

I’m not against having a nice wiki but I can’t see them throwing money down the toilet to get a nice professional wiki for A18 only to then release A19 and now it’s outdated.

Look at all the wasted effort some well meaning volunteers made to create the current wiki in which none of the art matches any longer what’s in the game not to mention all the gameplay changes that would warrant all new descriptions and tutorials.

Meph’s scolding is just premature but I appreciate that he wants the game and company to come across as professional looking.

Who says anything about professional. Just accurate. It is not a ton of work to update the basics - a few days for one person at the extreme edge.

I wasn't even saying TFP needed to keep the wiki up-to-date. I was just pointing out that watching a youtube video or streamer might not be the best way to try to find out something specific about the game...unless that is what the video is about lol. There are some good instructional videos out there. I am heading onto my 7,200 hours in game and watching streamers I have probably seen things I wouldn't have thought of or didn't know about.

The trend of regarding videos as replacement for written documentation is surely a sign of the apocalypse. :bolt:

Truth.

If everybody who commented in these forums - including me - spent 10 minutes a week updating the wiki, it'd be cleaned up in no time. Roland's right that A19 will mean more updates, but probably not as significant as A15->A18 which is the current situation, yeah?

I'm gonna go put my monies where my mouf is. brb

I know this is a TIRED point to make, but guys it is in Alpha. It's like buying all the paint you need to cover your house before you have decided what every rooms color should be. It isn't a cost effective or time effective strategy until they reach Beta.

People tend to forget that less than half of a games user base typically play during early access. Most people avoid EA games entirely and wait for builds to come out that won't wipe old saves or break them. Of the 20 or so people I know with a steam account the majority of them never play EA games for the previously mentioned reason.

I dusted off my Twitch account and dove into the Wiki. IMO a) fixing that Wiki is not "a few days for one person"; it would require weeks for a skilled Wikipediatrician and b) there are a bunch of updates happening daily it seems. By people with "pro" next to their IDs. I'm not convinced I'm even qualified to go stirring that soup. I think the grammar and flow of many pages is bad, but I'm not going to rewrite stuff a "pro" put in there. I mean, SylenThunder is getting blasted in admin comments for removing stuff! I'm a nobody, ST is a long, loooooong-time player. I'd probably get banned.

Totally agree that TFP should not put any effort into the Wiki, they should focus on the game. Seems plenty of "pros" are out there making edits anyhow. Maybe if OP has complaints about specific pages, add it to the comments of that page.​

I'm going to see if I can find a tiny corner of a page that needs a correction and dip my toe in there. I can only barely say "where is the bathroom" in Wiki markup so apologies in advance if I bring the whole site down or something.

ETA: Alright, the "Unlocked Through" column of the craftable ammo page is all wrong. Not to mention it's missing a few ammo types. I'm going in, who's with me? Be the change you wish to see!

What the game would really need is a tutorial, a small map with a voiced npc ordering the player around and telling them how to do things. NPC with a menu that you can select different things from, like building, upgrading, weapons, electricity, etc.

Archived