hotpoon

Who thinks we need world bosses?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who thinks we need world bosses?

If you've played any of the following, you will know what I'm talking about:

- Terraria

- Conan Exiles

- Ark Survival Evolved

There are probably many other games that have also successfully implemented world bosses as end game content, and I believe 7 Days to Die could really do with something similar.

The way I see it is there are 2 ways to do it:

- Either the bosses are located in more difficult areas (like as in Conan & Terraria), or

- they are spawnable using special ingredients (like as in Ark). If the latter, the special ingredients could drop during horde nights only.

More content is needed but adding more "special" zombies and "bosses" just keeps taking away the immersion.

We have already switched from survival/building/scavenging to shooter/rpg like/everything easy for new players. Its a cop out used by far too many other games and multiplayer is already seriously hurting.

Far too few zombies as it is and losing more for a "world boss" that will inevitably destroy frame rates is not the way. It works in mmos and the like, but unity seems to dislike great numbers.

The way I see it is there are 2 ways to do it:

- Either the bosses are located in more difficult areas (like as in Conan & Terraria), or

- they are spawnable using special ingredients (like as in Ark). If the latter, the special ingredients could drop during horde nights only.

The problem is the fun pimps have a different idea about bosses.

The demolisher is a boss zombie but instead of having to defeat him in some kind of arena you have several of them in the horde night. And if things go south they destroy your base.

World bosses are more MMO, less SP/MP survival

Do I wish there was some quests that told us of very dangerous enemies/group of enemies....yes...but that's a bounty essentially, not a boss

I wish they'd add bounty boards to the game (it'd be random zombies with a little description like "that a**hole ate my mate, beat his face in." go kill random zombie in a red hoodie, which would be in a building with no marker so no way to "nerdpole" to location and just pop the target {would add variations of outfits, like skater zombies could have new color hoodies to make em stand out if they are the target} )

but bosses just take away from survival, you'd spend all day prepping to kill 1 enemy, usually to discover that a horde is more enjoyable to survive against...

bosses are fun if you don't have to worry about every other thing in existence at the moment you fight them (coming from an avid fan of PWI and RuneScape before it got new owners) {im a guy in his late 20s}

You can already mod more zombies to the world and it doesn't add anything new to the game play. Certainly adds to the challenge early game but you're essentially repeating the same actions to take them down, especially later on when you're geared up.

A boss/bounty be it a special zombie or bandit can have it's own character or different set of challenges, be it hunting a radiated beast in a deep cave, or infiltrating a bandit boss in poi, etc.

Not sure why adding bosses = removing survival. Avoid these boss scenarios if you prefer a more survival approach.

More content is needed but adding more "special" zombies and "bosses" just keeps taking away the immersion.

We have already switched from survival/building/scavenging to shooter/rpg like/everything easy for new players. Its a cop out used by far too many other games and multiplayer is already seriously hurting.

Far too few zombies as it is and losing more for a "world boss" that will inevitably destroy frame rates is not the way. It works in mmos and the like, but unity seems to dislike great numbers.

I can understand where you are coming from here, but the game isn't just a straight up survival sim. It's described on Steam as "zombie survival sandbox RPG", so it's all those things you like as well as being an RPG. So if you're playing it as a sim, I can see how world bosses would hurt your immersion, bu then the fancier zombies like the demolishers and spiders must already spoil it for you?

We need 10 times more zombies. That we can agree on, but I question whether it is an engine limitation. I think the game ran just fine with lots of zombies and i don't have a top of the line machine. I don't know why they've chosen to make the world so quiet, except maybe making room for bandits.

I'd rather see more/bigger/more threatening random horde events as exploring POIs at some point is too easy and waiting for another blood moon can get tedious if you can't occupy yourself during that time.

If I had to choose between bigger hordes and world zombies, then I agree with you, I'd rather have bigger hordes, but I don't see them as either or.

World bosses are more MMO, less SP/MP survival

I don't know about that. Ark basically pioneered the survival genre and it has bosses. Conan Exiles, and Don't Starve are also survival games with world bosses.

When the Behemoth was first mentioned, I imagined that being something like that, a huge lumbering threat that randomly walked around the map and if you were unlucky to be in it's path you/your base were attacked. Nothing that zoomed in on you, your heat, your gamestage,or on bloodmoon nights. Just a totally random threat.

World bosses not so much. It doesn't really fit the lore or the theme to be honest. That being said end game content is a thing definitely needed; as much as the current content has been stretched out with A18, there needs to be something else to grind for other than being able to take on yet another, beefier horde.

I'm not sure how big world bosses would work in this game. I don't think world bosses like those three games have would work in 7DTD. They work in Ark due to you being teleported to an arena to fight in. In this arena you aren't able to build anything so you can't cheese the fight as easily. I like the idea of having a few really strong zombies that you can come across in your exploration. I don't know if they would have to be in random POIs or could spawn randomly but it would have to have some kind of randomness to it. Being able to tell where these bosses would spawn would take a lot of the crazy moments away and make them just like every other zombie. Plus there is the issue with what kind of reward you would get for beating them.

I don't know about "world bosses" but I love the idea of Grace for example. Having the possibility of a big dangerous zombie hidden in random poi's. It can't be in every POI because it has to be a "Oh F*CK" moment lol.

This is a great idea. I loved meeting up with Grace, she was bugged out so never even attempted to fight us sadly, but she was still awesome to find.

Archived