Do Bloodmoons need more?

Lycangel

Does anyone else feel like Bloodmoons could use a little more? The hoards are nice but they are very easy to ignore. Whenever I play with my friends, on bloodmoons they just hop on their bikes and ride in circles to avoid them. Its really more a nuisance than a challenge.

Don't hop on your bikes? Take their bikes before the blood moon starts and make them fight?

You all control how you fight your blood moon. When I'm playing with friends we build a simple structure or upgrade a demolished building until we can build our dedicated kill them all base, but when I'm playing solo I just turn them off. I know I can do it, and I get plenty of loot and exp looting the world. I don't need the game spawning bullet sponges for me to kill.

You complain about your own playstyle (or at least of your friends).

If you take the gameplay away, just because "you can" it's your own fault.

There are also ways to "glitch" super mario world to finish in a few minutes. If you do that, don't complain about the game can be finished in just some minutes.

If you don't want to it that way, just don't do it that way. Or is it something like being drug-addictive, use bugs/mistakes just because you can?

If you dislike bloodmoon, you can turn it off completely. Then you don't even have to jump on your minibikes just to run circles.

I can build a dedicated kill them all base by day 2 using nothing but wood blocks.

So by bloodmoon 1 I end up killing every zombie by 1 or 2 AM ... kind of anticlimactic.

I would like to see more zombies on bloodmoon. I would like to see 128 or more bloodmoon zombies.

I would not even care if 128 bloodmoon zombies were only half the XP or something.

But I kill 64 too quickly then spend the rest of my bloodmoon picking my nose.

I can build a dedicated kill them all base by day 2 using nothing but wood blocks.

So by bloodmoon 1 I end up killing every zombie by 1 or 2 AM ... kind of anticlimactic.

I would like to see more zombies on bloodmoon. I would like to see 128 or more bloodmoon zombies.

I would not even care if 128 bloodmoon zombies were only half the XP or something.

But I kill 64 too quickly then spend the rest of my bloodmoon picking my nose.

If your using a cheese strat maybe try a different strat for the challenge for now.

If your using a cheese strat maybe try a different strat for the challenge for now.

That is my problem with blood moons: In my opinion It should require multiple strategies. I am a tower person, i build a thick wall, stand on a thick tower, and shoot zombies all night. always works. Some people make corridors, but so far there seem to be two variants in strat: exploit AI, or shoot from high place. Now the vultures and the demolishers are spicing things up so it is a good start. Considering how much building generates xp; having zombies change their attack patterns and force new strats would be a very welcome change.

Been feeling that for a very long time.

But, every alpha they make changes that affect horde night.

Recent changes:

- digging zombies

- vultures attack vehicle riders

- area attack for zombies that can't get to you

- gas nerf

- zombie group block damage bonus

- Demolishers

They haven't quite gotten to the point where all the super easy avoidance tactics are taken care of, but they do actively work towards that goal. That's good enough for me... for now.

That is my problem with blood moons: In my opinion It should require multiple strategies. I am a tower person, i build a thick wall, stand on a thick tower, and shoot zombies all night. always works. Some people make corridors, but so far there seem to be two variants in strat: exploit AI, or shoot from high place. Now the vultures and the demolishers are spicing things up so it is a good start. Considering how much building generates xp; having zombies change their attack patterns and force new strats would be a very welcome change.

I recall faatal had some changes in mind too address loop bases. Hopefully the AI will keep on getting more robust.

I recall faatal had some changes in mind too address loop bases. Hopefully the AI will keep on getting more robust.

The problem is that if they make a general AI, people like Jawoodle will find a way to break the AI. They have a financial incentive to do so. I guess the best method to fix this would be random AI packages for horde night? sometimes the blood moon makes them want to break blocks, sometimes the blood moon makes them jumpy? Another issue with the loop bases is that climbing zombies are gone. Maybe climbing zombies need to come back?

AI programming is hard. The last games i can think of with amazing AI were fear and Max Pain. These zombies do a good job, but people are figuring out their weaknesses.

Bloodmoons seem rather entertaining if you decide to keep your feet at ground level. Yes, fat towers / POI roofs are boring and conga line ramp setups are terrible... effective, but no risk = no fun :)

I've ended up designing little boxes with doors to defend, three high with some form of overhangs or other stacking protections. The second block row is mostly horizontal poles to allow melee out (and in, sure), but also good line of sight. Just some full blocks to make it look not so floating.

Redundant boxes, so when you lose a door, you just take a step thru the next door and defend that. Makes for decent fun. Add a few outside choke points with barbed wire and penetrator perk for good damage per bullet. Add a friend with a shotty to slow them down at breach points (a demo took out a choke point, he held them back until they changed spawn direction, good times :) )

Explosives work through doors / blocks in general, apply generously.

As far as I know, he's already implemented them in A17. When the zombies fall damage, they go into destruction mode. In A18 the destruction mode has been extended by a couple of seconds so they do more damage to the base.

But there's a way around that, too. Let the zombies fall on a steep slope. Since the zombies slide down after landing, no fall damage is registered.

Or Z-Nation has built a base that rests on open wooden doors. The zombies don't attack the open wooden doors and they have nothing else to attack.

That is the result:

I saw a similar behavior when I tested a classic killtower. The zombies had destroyed a row of blocks from the base, but since the base of the tower was filled, it didn't have any effect. The zombies had nothing left to attack.

There will always be ways to exploit AI behavior. The term artificial intelligence is actually wrong. This has nothing to do with intelligence. It is a decision tree and if you understand the decisions you can use them to your own advantage.

Does anyone else feel like Bloodmoons could use a little more? The hoards are nice but they are very easy to ignore. Whenever I play with my friends, on bloodmoons they just hop on their bikes and ride in circles to avoid them. Its really more a nuisance than a challenge.

You would have more fun if you just turned off horde night instead of wasting all the time cheesing it.

The problem is that if they make a general AI, people like Jawoodle will find a way to break the AI. They have a financial incentive to do so. I guess the best method to fix this would be random AI packages for horde night? sometimes the blood moon makes them want to break blocks, sometimes the blood moon makes them jumpy? Another issue with the loop bases is that climbing zombies are gone. Maybe climbing zombies need to come back?

AI programming is hard. The last games i can think of with amazing AI were fear and Max Pain. These zombies do a good job, but people are figuring out their weaknesses.

There’s nothing wrong with figuring out the weaknesses. That is the goal against any enemy AI. When players like Jawoodle find some things that makes the AI too easily beaten, those findings are really helpful... those are the things that need to be fixed. The end goal for games is to make AI fun and challenging... not easily beaten with cheese and not impossible to beat.

Senpai Noticed Me!!!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist...😂😂😂

Archived