Game Without Screamers

Bouzouki

Not sure this is a bug or not. Me and some friends started a game on a hosted server. We wanted to 'slow' down the game, so we decided to work on our own bases, then just meet up for stuff when we wanted to.

It's day 30, we're all over game stage 100, but we haven't seen a single Screamer. Which makes us sad.

It is an version 18 latest experimental game.

Has anyone encountered this kind of thing?

Thanks.

Screamers seem very rare in A18. We didn't start seeing them until one of us started using 2 fully upgraded Junk Turrets. That seems to get their attention. When Screamers show up they might not actually scream for you, and when they finally do they will probably only call two extra zombies in. They seem rather pointless currently. Which is sad because they used to be one of my favorite zombies.

In a couple of the earlier A18 builds there was an issue with heat that would get you constant screamers.

Since that was "fixed" I've not had a single screamer either.

I think the heat for most objects has been reduced, so a simple base (one of each crafting station) is now much less likely to attract them. In previous alphas you could only run one of those crafting stations at a time wuthout attracting them, but now it seems you can run two of maybe even three for short periods and your heat won't get high enough to attract a screamer.

Didn't I read somewhere of a knee-jerk fix to the recent complaint of too many Screamers that they made it so when your heat hits 100, instead of spawning a Screamer and resetting heat, it instead rolls a 60% chance of spawning one and resets anyway. Hence with RNG you could never see a Screamer perhaps for days, no matter how much heat you generate?

No, you didn't read the OP. The problem is is that they 'are' off. Or seemingly so.

We had the same problem in experimental. We didnt see a single screamer for the first 30 days or so. Then out of the blue they started showing up like clockwork. We guessed they were stuck in que or something.

We had the same problem in experimental. We didnt see a single screamer for the first 30 days or so. Then out of the blue they started showing up like clockwork. We guessed they were stuck in que or something.

Interesting. We'll keep playing and see what happens. Will report back if there is an outbreak of grey-clad chortlers.

Not sure this is a bug or not. Me and some friends started a game on a hosted server. We wanted to 'slow' down the game, so we decided to work on our own bases, then just meet up for stuff when we wanted to.

It's day 30, we're all over game stage 100, but we haven't seen a single Screamer. Which makes us sad.

It is an version 18 latest experimental game.

Has anyone encountered this kind of thing?

Thanks.

Screamers seem to be biomebound, my last save in latest experimental my friend had screamers all the time in the snowbiome.

We never saw any elsewhere. Good way to go to for farming exp. But man they messed this game up sigh.

We just wanted the constant screamer cycle for having a couple torches fixed, not this weird random no-spawn function. Nobody asked for that.

Has anybody simply tried asking madmole to increase the chance up some? Maybe to 80% chance once heat reaches 100 and see how that goes?

Can't really complain unless they come back and say no. As far as they know, probably, everything is fine with this feature they recently added.

I would love a screamer chance to increase if too MANY rollovers happen (once is like 30%, twice jumps up to 50%, 70% and then 90% as the cap)

The time frame could be within a day (24 in game hours) or maybe even just is that way until you reload the chunk (go looting for a day)

that way you have MORE of a chance the LONGER you push your luck (not just a flat yes/no chance)

I didnt think i would miss them but when they stopped showing up entirely for 2 real days I realized I was using them. I was working on a couple POI's to be horde bases and I would use the occasional screamer spawn to summon guinea pigs to test the new guantlet or traps. Last couple days...nothing. She's ditched me. So now I had to run out and hit neighboring buildings trying to find test subjects to chase me back through the bases. And since I gotta run all the way back, and sometimes I gotta go fetch again when they lose aggro, I gotta wait for them to catch up. Sometimes I cant find the right height and I gotta keep looking.

I miss delivery.

I didnt think i would miss them but when they stopped showing up entirely for 2 real days I realized I was using them. I was working on a couple POI's to be horde bases and I would use the occasional screamer spawn to summon guinea pigs to test the new guantlet or traps. Last couple days...nothing. She's ditched me. So now I had to run out and hit neighboring buildings trying to find test subjects to chase me back through the bases. And since I gotta run all the way back, and sometimes I gotta go fetch again when they lose aggro, I gotta wait for them to catch up. Sometimes I cant find the right height and I gotta keep looking.

I miss delivery.

Why wouldn't you just add a ton of torches to make the cycle to 100% heat happen faster? and therefore many more chances of rolling a 6/10 per day?

Why wouldn't you just add a ton of torches to make the cycle to 100% heat happen faster? and therefore many more chances of rolling a 6/10 per day?

I actually have started using torches around the horde night bases, and even brazenly using loud power tools for every menial task. Nada so far. But I know if I start mining somewhere, one will pop up in no time.

They dialed them back a bit. Now maybe i am insane, but i do think the wandering heat hordes are back now. So the screamers may be gamestage related, or just rarer..

I like the new frequency, as when i start running all 9 of my forges at once and perch on my sniper's tower they never show up when i am looking for them. I am always mistaking distant bags of trash for screamers, and they never show up until i go downstairs for a snack. They are now dialed into the correct level of annoying/dangerous.

I actually have started using torches around the horde night bases, and even brazenly using loud power tools for every menial task. Nada so far. But I know if I start mining somewhere, one will pop up in no time.

I remember I tested again after the "fix"...

On one hour day length:

Candle = 0.27% every 1 minute real-time

Torch = 0.54% every 1 minute real-time

Forge = 6% approximately every 2:40 real-time

On half hour day length:

Candle = 0.54% every 1 minute real-time

Torch = 1.08% every 1 minute real-time

Forge = 6% approximately every 1:20 real-time

The error someone made in the XML that activated heat for POI things are all gone now.

I had to restart tests a couple times because the dev pistol gives heat again when fired, and I would sometimes forget and shoot something.

Heat dissipation is working well. I tested on 10 minute day length just to get fast results. I was able to run a forge and 8 torches without the heat ever going past 100% The heat fluctuates up and down as it grows and dissipates, but in general this still left about 20% free, enough for a decent amount of gun shooting.

So... basically 8 torches and a single forge running will NEVER make heat reach 100% due to dissipation. Screamers for most players are not even a thing until they get some real forging going on, or perhaps a consistent running of all the stations at the same time.

In a couple of the earlier A18 builds there was an issue with heat that would get you constant screamers.

Since that was "fixed" I've not had a single screamer either.

Exactly that. In Alpha 18.0 i had a screamer incoming every 5 minutes and it was annoying. Since 18.1 i never saw one.

Exactly that. In Alpha 18.0 i had a screamer incoming every 5 minutes and it was annoying. Since 18.1 i never saw one.

That was a bug in A18.0 that caused this about on screamers.

I have no problem getting screamers. Every time I'm in the iron mine I get a screamer every 5 minutes. Maybe because I have the day length of 120 minutes. The heat seems to be dissipating too slowly. I have also tried to work crouched but that doesn't help.

My day is also 120 minutes and my base is also my mine. Must be a different reason.

How deep is your mine? I dig from top to bottom so I am close to the surface. If you are close to the bedrock the screamers are not spawning.

That's the reason I build my forge room in A17 near bedrock to get get rid of the screamers.

Ok we TRIED to spawn them last night. 4 forges running. Workstation pumping out bullet boxes. Chem station spitting out gas and gunpowder. Fire pitt purifying water, 4 cement mixers mixing constantly. For over an hour. No Screamer. I went out and fired a unsilenced rifle at a few stray zeds. Brazenly. Screamer is on vacation still.

It's WEIRD. I'm tempted to start throwing explosives to see if she's deaf.

Is the poor thing stuck under the ground somewhere?

Ok we TRIED to spawn them last night. 4 forges running. Workstation pumping out bullet boxes. Chem station spitting out gas and gunpowder. Fire pitt purifying water, 4 cement mixers mixing constantly. For over an hour. No Screamer. I went out and fired a unsilenced rifle at a few stray zeds. Brazenly. Screamer is on vacation still.

Did you look into the console with F1? Sometimes the game can't spawn a screamer because there's a mountain where the screamer should spawn. With the debug mode you can also display the heat by hitting twice F8. When it reaches 100% a screamer will be spawned.

Archived