Door and Hatch Poll

Ramethzer0

Door and Hatch Poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Door and Hatch Poll

• Yes; there should be some sort of indicator on all hatch and door assets
    • No; Leave it as it is.
    • I have no opinion.

They told us we could do it, so I'm going for it.

So survivors, many of us have lost crafting materials that we wish we hadn't in 7 Days to Die. Snapping and placing of doors and hatches has at one point in time or another been something of a pain when you aren't quite sure which is facing you and not. For basic doors, this is less of an issue but it would help as a small quality of life addition. Hatches on the other hand, seem to be more problematic. Garage double doors are centered no matter what direction you snap it to. The powered garage sliding doors would also feel improved. Not all versions of doors and hatches have obvious indicators of where they swing from. Some of them have visible hinges, but not all of them. This can potentially create several problems, especially with people that run the game on low detail settings because they have to, or like me - have vision issues.

So here is a suggestion that I think would be a worthwhile addition: I would love to see TFP modify the current meshes of Hatch and Door assets to reflect an obvious pattern in which they operate. This means adding some sort of indicator across the board for every hatch and door asset at all stages in which said item may be placed. Handles have been suggested.

Now - I personally feel while this request might seem small in theory (I'm not a coder, but I understand such things tend to affect everything around it, and thus we get bugs and 'features' that weren't intended) but it could also have deeper implications for TFP. Doors and hatches in particular are known to be problematic in other ways as well which have been pointed out in other threads.

And if nothing else can be done about it right this moment, taking a pulse on the public for such a change could very well inspire future iterations of the game.

I can tell which direction it is facing looking at them now.

On the scrap iron hatch there is a tiny handle that sticks out that you can barely see. Or you can go by the pattern on it. Havent tested the steel hatch lately but I dont remember ever having a problem with it.

For doors, If I am putting one, I usually put two in the same space. I rotate them to be basically on top of each other so I never care which way they open.

At first this confused me a bit, but once I learned what to look for in regard to a hinge indicator it was a lot easier for me.

Maybe the simplest thing to do would be to place it down in it's opened state. That is really obvious and not to difficult to implement I imagine.

At first this confused me a bit, but once I learned what to look for in regard to a hinge indicator it was a lot easier for me.

Maybe the simplest thing to do would be to place it down in it's opened state. That is really obvious and not to difficult to implement I imagine.

This would honestly be the best option I think, they'd not need to edit the model then I don't think.

A stop gap is to just craft the wood one, put that down and upgrade it. Requires some more materials but then if its messed up you can just use an axe to kill it.

This is pretty much what I do to compensate for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm down for this. We get the best of it all, and is likely the easiest option to code in.

Could also be fixed by showing the rotation in the placement wireframe, the white/green/yellow box surrounding the block. Just slap a little virtual arrow at the "bottom of the box" pointing out of the frame. Would take a little getting used to and I'm not entirely sure if it would hide in the next block by default, but if drawn on top of the world, it should still be visible.. And a consistent aid through all blocks, not just the one they have bug reports about.

Archived