How to get enough food in A18?

xxx73

Are you using the vending machines? looting poi's? In my current game on warrior difficulty I am on day 15 and I have 4 stacks of raw meat in my storage and I never had to cook a single piece, found more than enough canned food for my needs, this is on default loot settings. What are you doing in game? There is more food out there than just bacon and egg's ya know. I even eat sham sandwhiches if I need to, never gotten food poisioning (yet) from it, so I may have had some lucky breaks.

TL:DR Advice is: Loot Poi's More, Check Trader and the vending machines there and around. Do quests for trader as well to give you some money, loot from clearing the poi and a bonus when you turn it in.

I've got over 3050 hours in 7dtd and been around since alpha 9 or 10, I've never once starved or dehydrated or even got close to it, I really don't get what people are doing that they end up dying due to that with all the abundant food/water sources there are if you just tap into them.

I'm in a burnt biome, so the only animals I've seen so far are zombie bears. Luckily, I'm on the edge of a town, with a lot of POIs that carry decent amounts of food. I think your best option might be to find a town as well, and stock up for when you can't hunt anything. Vending machines can help you out as well.

I haven't played around with hunting yet, but I did see there's a tracking skill that supposedly helps you find prey. Did you try anything with that yet? Maybe it's a magazine, I can't remember.

I'm in a burnt biome, so the only animals I've seen so far are zombie bears. Luckily, I'm on the edge of a town, with a lot of POIs that carry decent amounts of food. I think your best option might be to find a town as well, and stock up for when you can't hunt anything. Vending machines can help you out as well.

I haven't played around with hunting yet, but I did see there's a tracking skill that supposedly helps you find prey. Did you try anything with that yet? Maybe it's a magazine, I can't remember.

Its a perk under perception I think. But I'll be honest I find hunting to be one of the worst ways to get food in 7dtd. Its much better to go poi looting and just kill any animals on the way as you travel to it. Like I said in my comment above, I have literally 4 stacks of raw meat and nothing to use it for, as I got canned food up the ying yang from looting and buying it off vending machines (they restock daily just a fyi). Some poi's even have a vending machine in them like the modern fire dept, has one on the 2nd floor.

I play single player though so the entire world basically belongs to me, I could see having food issues in a MP game if you happen to spawn near where someone else has already been thru. But no one should ever die due to starvation or dehydration in 7dtd in single player mode.

Hi guys

I'm struggling big time with getting enough food and keep dying from hunger.

When going hunting there is days I cant find a single animal, and eggs is also a problem to find enough.

Any suggestions?

Do the buried supplies quests. You get food and a recipe during the quest and XP as well as money from the trader. With the money from the quest you can buy cans from the vending machine.

Thats not the worst problem dying in hunger, when you actually find something to eat and cook it. You body will suffer food poisoning resetting your food levels. And if you are lucky, you die. :D

I have played A18 with my friend, day 23 going. Constant struggle to get food (50% loot). And always when i finally get food, like find corn field, make nice patch of 20 corn bread, food poisoning every single time. It has only 4% chance.

Its like there is something wrong somewhere in the code, and that food poisoning meter is just accumulating the 4% and high enough it triggers.

And i have bad feeling that you need that hunting skill even able to find some animals in wild. I havent seen single boar or deer in wild. Only snakes and bunnies.

Do the buried supplies quests. You get food and a recipe during the quest and XP as well as money from the trader. With the money from the quest you can buy cans from the vending machine.

This - food, xp, dukes to buy more food, rewards like meds, etc.

Trader is the new OP trend in A18

If it's anything like A17 in order to get tones of food you need high levels of the looting perk. Iirc 3 levels gave me at least one item per looting entity and kitchens were filled with cans .

But what I do now is just find animals and harvest them with knives (DO NOT harvest them with axes they give less than 30% when using axes) and turn them into boiling meat. Add a vitamin before eating and you can eat the fat without side effects. Eat them without vitamins and you're risking of vomiting the food. It's really annoying to be honest.

We've been struggling with the food balance as well, not getting much loot worthy food, and not many animals about.

Real problem at low game is having to use food for healing, as we are getting dented by z'ds as they seem a lot tougher

at low level that before (or the weapons are weaker).

I've not tried any trader quests as my starting trader was in the wasteland, now found a new one and will do that.

We've been struggling with the food balance as well, not getting much loot worthy food, and not many animals about.

Real problem at low game is having to use food for healing, as we are getting dented by z'ds as they seem a lot tougher

at low level that before (or the weapons are weaker).

I've not tried any trader quests as my starting trader was in the wasteland, now found a new one and will do that.

Buried Treasure quests from the Trader usually result in a lot of canned food. The treasure radius seems smaller than before, so typically less digging than in previous versions.

Buried Treasure quests from the Trader usually result in a lot of canned food. The treasure radius seems smaller than before, so typically less digging than in previous versions.

I rarely dig more than a couple blocks for buried treasure. In the past i did make almost a mine to find the box, but learned better.

And yes, buried treasure usually gives lots of food.

The Buried treasure quest from trader seems to have a much smaller radius than the normal treasure hunt quests you can find in loot. Its about half the size of the map trasure quests.

Archived