Do i need to upgrade JUST my RAM?

Rashnudamz

As the title suggests, i know i need to upgrade my graphics card [thats next month or so though] but to play 7D2D at a reasonable level with A18 do i need to upgrade the RAM urgently?

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor 3.60GHZ

Video - GeForce GT 1030

Ram - 8GB

I am a total tech noob so a bit of googling said that graphically the game should run fine [but not highest settings] but will lag most of the time unless i upgrade the ram since the game [and most] will use most/all of it?

Edit: Reason im asking this is because in A17 i was able to fix the FPS issue by reducing the resolution [and having a steady 40>60fps] but trying A18 resulted in snail pace.

As the title suggests, i know i need to upgrade my graphics card [thats next month or so though] but to play 7D2D at a reasonable level with A18 do i need to upgrade the RAM urgently?

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor 3.60GHZ

Video - GeForce GT 1030

Ram - 8GB

I am a total tech noob so a bit of googling said that graphically the game should run fine [but not highest settings] but will lag most of the time unless i upgrade the ram since the game [and most] will use most/all of it?

Edit: Reason im asking this is because in A17 i was able to fix the FPS issue by reducing the resolution [and having a steady 40>60fps] but trying A18 resulted in snail pace.

Currently; servers are running about 8.5GB ram under stress.

Client runs about 2.5gb

Your processor seems usable, gfx need an update for sure. If you purchase a ram upgrade, get a single 16gb stick.

Id prolly look for like a Intel 1050-1060(GT fine) for budget. Many are on sale for a good price if you shop.

I suggest intel for GFX even tho I also use AMD hardware.

PS:I gave you an idea of upgrades on a budget.

If you are looking for a total rehaul; id suggest looking at the new ryzen 8s cuz they are REALLY good.

MainBoard that has 2 ram slots, use 16gb stick or x2. Make sure it has about 6-8USB ports if yer gaming so you dont have to switch crud around all the time. It also needs 2 PCiE x16+ slots.

Hard Drive you want a Solid State Drive for your windows files (I use a dedicated for windows files.) and a 2ndary hard drive either HDD or SSD (HDD has longevity, SSD is by far the performance selection but doesnt last 25% of the time)

PSU i only look for wattage and surge protection. NEVER buy a PSU without surge protection; EVER. Period.

Client runs about 2.5gb

Your processor seems usable, gfx need an update for sure. If you purchase a ram upgrade, get a single 16gb stick.

Id prolly look for like a Intel 1050-1060(GT fine) for budget. Many are on sale for a good price if you shop.

If you are looking for a total rehaul; id suggest looking at the new ryzen 8s cuz they are REALLY good.

MainBoard that has 2 ram slots, use 16gb stick or x2. Make sure it has about 6-8USB ports if yer gaming so you dont have to switch crud around all the time. It also needs 2 PCiE x16+ slots.

Hard Drive you want a Solid State Drive for your windows files (I use a dedicated for windows files.) and a 2ndary hard drive either HDD or SSD (HDD has longevity, SSD is by far the performance selection but doesnt last 25% of the time)

PSU i only look for wattage and surge protection. NEVER buy a PSU without surge protection; EVER. Period.

For some reason 7d2d eats more then 2.5gb of my system ram. Perhaps these are memory leaks?

Client runs about 2.5gb

no, dont get a single 16 gig stick

if youve got 1 stick of 8 gig,MATCH that with another, with exact the same, so dual channel memory works

yoube probably got at least 4 slots for ram

so if you have 4 x 2 gig then youll need to replace the whole lot with 2 x 8 or better

Client runs about 2.5gb

There's so much wrong here, I can't even tell if it's a troll post or someone with no knowledge making guesses.

First off, the client side uses way more than 2.5GB of ram. Servers vary depending on how many players are playing. So you probably got those 2 mixed up. Single stick of ram is dumb. Dual channel provides a 5% boost in performance with no drawbacks. There's no such thing as Intel 1050-1060, and Nvidia GTX 1050 is a downgrade to what he already has, especially if it's a GT series. Ryzen 8 doesn't exist. Why does it matter how many USB ports a motherboard has? Not everyone uses more than 1 or 2. Why does a gaming machine need 2 PCI-e x16 slots? SLI is dead. SSD's have the same life expectancy as a hard drive now. Only difference is that you can better predict when it will die by how much it's been used where as a HDD can die any time whether it's used much or not. All PSU (as far as I know) have surge protection at least to some degree.

Overall, a terrible post.

• 3 weeks later...
So what i did was upgrade my ram to 24gb and upgraded the graphics card to GTX 1070, now the game seems to run perfectly fine at 60fps at the highest settings, also then had to upgrade my power supply so hope this £400+ upgrade is worth it :p

Sounds like you have a nice system now. Good luck.

This game benefits from a really good hard-drive before any other upgrade. If you haven't got an SSD, get that in there first. If you have got an SSD, get a really good one (eg NVMe). You will get much greater improvement from that than any other upgrade, given the engine here is Voxel.

Archived