A18 """looks-not-does""""

akram22

So. far all the content been released about A18 is .......... new perk design which is yet to test thing and iam really about it as the current one is trash imo.

the other part was all about how the game looks ( lighting -texture - and loot containers that has 0 deference from the old blocks)

why... the right way to think for a wise company is , build the perfect skeleton for your game - cover this with some flesh >>( exciting content and insider systems that reacts to create the best experience) <<<

then you can skin it what ever it """looks""" best for it ..

now what i see is the reverse of that , you dress it first then you create the parts. then either you rework the looks> which has already happened and might happen again

or you just get bonded by the shape of the game all along .

what is your pov . and what is TFB thinking ???

If you assume that they are just doing one or the other, your posts makes sense.

They have a team that works on core content, and a separate team that works on graphics though. Improving graphics has almost zero impact on core feature development. This has been stated a few times in the past year.

Unless a game is done by a lone developer, this principle applies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_of_labour

And it's a common false assumption people make on the Steam forums, which tend to be much saltier than these ones (and that's not to say the OP is necessarily making this mistake or that they are salty... hehe).

I've lost count of the number of times on the Steam forums especially, I've seen someone complain about "time spent on art" or "time spent on code" (the complaints are often mutually exclusive), because they've failed to realise that the Art guy(s)/girl(s) can't just instantaneously re-skill and become coders and vica versa.

As Madmole recently said in the A18 dev diary, sometimes the Art personnel are way ahead, entire Alphas and more, sometimes a new mechanic comes in with placeholder art.

i am not complaining , A17 did take a ton of time , because of the unity update , they could simply ignore it until they finish the whole reworking they were working on meanwhile , the art team is working on a secret contents ( we dont know about ) so when time comes they can release it as a new alpha , like it was made in 1 night . i guess they cant work on each part separately . isnt it ?

but its about the company strategy , they can do whatever they can that wont affect peoples opinion about the progression like me

and personally iam like . more towards people with low-mid end rigs , iam one with mid end rig and actually if the games performance dosnt improve like was promised in A17 .. iam afraid the boundaries of the people which can actually play the game , will be pushed away .

iam sorry if i sound salty. iam not i just want to speak my mind and get some points clear . i really appreciate the hard work they do .

I know what you feel...

I also appreciate the work TFP has done for the game and still do, but it doesn't mean i wouldn't want all those great updates to already come, especially the features that would greatly enhance the game and has been promised some time ago. As patient as i am, just like everyone here, i would love to dive into all the new changes...

For comparison, almost a year ago in Terraria there were so many spoilers of the upcoming new 1.3.8 update that almost everyone wet their panties... The band wagon of "i can't wait" started even before, but i chose this time because everyone was like "OOOOHH! Will it be this year?" Answer was no and we're still waiting (Terraria players), getting more spoilers from time to time, sharpening out appetite.

Is it long? Sure is. Will it be worth it? Oh definitely yes. The same goes for 7DTD. We don't know exactly when things will come, but they will come.

i am not complaining , A17 did take a ton of time , because of the unity update , they could simply ignore it until they finish the whole reworking they were working on meanwhile , the art team is working on a secret contents ( we dont know about ) so when time comes they can release it as a new alpha , like it was made in 1 night . i guess they cant work on each part separately . isnt it ?

but its about the company strategy , they can do whatever they can that wont affect peoples opinion about the progression like me

and personally iam like . more towards people with low-mid end rigs , iam one with mid end rig and actually if the games performance dosnt improve like was promised in A17 .. iam afraid the boundaries of the people which can actually play the game , will be pushed away .

iam sorry if i sound salty. iam not i just want to speak my mind and get some points clear . i really appreciate the hard work they do .

That's ok akram22, there's nothing wrong with offering up some constructive criticisms every now and then. I think you'll find, if optimisations get major attention in A18, that all else being equal the game will be somewhat less taxing on your rig. I italicised "all else being equal", because it doesn't account for new content that might also arrive in A18 of course, but what's already there, should, if the plan goes from what they're saying, get a little easier to handle.

And it's a common false assumption people make on the Steam forums, which tend to be much saltier than these ones (and that's not to say the OP is necessarily making this mistake or that they are salty... hehe).

I've lost count of the number of times on the Steam forums especially, I've seen someone complain about "time spent on art" or "time spent on code" (the complaints are often mutually exclusive), because they've failed to realise that the Art guy(s)/girl(s) can't just instantaneously re-skill and become coders and vica versa.

As Madmole recently said in the A18 dev diary, sometimes the Art personnel are way ahead, entire Alphas and more, sometimes a new mechanic comes in with placeholder art.

Especially in large AAA dev tems, you have hyper-specialized people. Sometimes there is a specific sound guy just recording car sound all over the world, or an artist that just sculpts/textures clothes. (And all the backend regarding marketing, administration, office management, legal council, bouncer to keep fanboys out)

Even in coding, the role of a shader developer cant be simple take oven by a server-backend developer. A dedicated gameplay scripter cant just take over the physics simulation.

In 7DtD you see lots of nice new POIs, but they cant just throw those people at the RWG, balancing, character modelling or AI.

Wait ... we're trshing on A18 before it has even released now?

Oh, gotcha, gotcha.

*goes off to enjoy 17.3 and is excited for any and all future developments*

Its par for the course pretty much, it happened when a lot of the a17 stuff was unveiled as well. I take a "Wait until I play it" approach before I really judge it.

Try engineering... Then we'll talk...

Mileage may vary on that one...I can't think of a single engineer (maybe 20 of them?) where I work that was ever "stressed". They seem so copesthetic that I often wonder if they run on batteries. To be fair though, I suppose I'm comparing them to the rest of us (Manufacturing in New England). 24-7 operation. 12 hr shifts for many. Low pay, no unions (not complaining there), there's a guy who looks and dresses exactly like pyramid-head who roams the facility in search of those who are too slow....I think I'll go have a good cry now. :Cry:

-Morloc

Archived