How to fly the Gyrocopter

Melthe

I just built the Gyrocopter. I checked the options menu, controls menu looking for a explaintion of the keys/buttons to control the Gyrocopter and I didn't find any buttons for going up or down. I gave it a try and I seem to think the "C" and "Z" buttons have something to do with that. So my question is how do you fly the Gyrocopter?

to clarify ripclaw, that's spacebar and C to TILT up and down....as in, to point the nose of the vehicle upwards or downwards. There is no vertical ascend or descend functionality with the gyro, and it generally needs to move straight along the ground a distance to pick up speed to take off (like a runway)

The easiest way to fly is just DONT. It is fun for about 1 minute. If you can get it to take off at all :)

I'm going to politely disagree with this. I can not only take off (from a short run way on my roof) I can land on the bugger, too.

With practice you can virtually hover downwards onto a small area, circle in a decline, etc etc.

When it dawned on me that you have to keep forward momentum (W) to fly, and that feathering W enables you to finely control flight elevation, and that [space] and [c] are usedin controlled bursts (and not to tilt too sharply one way or the other) the entire experience became fun as hell.

With a little practice, I can do just about anything I want with this thing. I can make perfect vertical landings anywhere, including rooftops. It's nice being able to land wherever you want, grab the best loot from inside ceilings or exposed rooftop caches, and take back off again without worrying about dealing with zombies.

Just remember that pitching up slows you down because Space is also a brake, and you can also pitch up to lessen or stop forward momentum. I usually bring my nose up when landing to halt forward movement, then level out right before I land.

Another thing that is important is to click the mouse button so that you mouse controls your camera, and not your gyro, as opposed to the motorcycle.

The easiest way to fly is just DONT. It is fun for about 1 minute. If you can get it to take off at all :)

Flying is pretty easy after you get the hang of it. It is not a helicopter so don't try and fly it like one. Just realize it flies more like a fixed wing aircraft than a helo.

There is no faster way to get around.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I just built the Gyrocopter. I checked the options menu, controls menu looking for a explaintion of the keys/buttons to control the Gyrocopter and I didn't find any buttons for going up or down. I gave it a try and I seem to think the "C" and "Z" buttons have something to do with that. So my question is how do you fly the Gyrocopter?

this was answered already in this topic.. but i thought i'd add some advice. DONT hit the E key while your flying.. you will fall to your death.. and your gyrocopter will stay stuck in the sky.. not to worry tho.. if you jump place a block(under your feet) jump place a block etc you can ride your blocks up to your gyrocopter.

I too thought it was almost impossible to fly.. but like someone said the space is tilt up.. c is tilt down.. w is power.. so you can decline like a plane flying.. then nose up and use power to brake you.. in your fall. i freefall (or fly down faster but harder) then use w to counter gravity a bit then just take my finger off w for the last few feet. don't practice around spikes or deep water.

this was answered already in this topic.. but i thought i'd add some advice. DONT hit the E key while your flying.. you will fall to your death.. and your gyrocopter will stay stuck in the sky.. not to worry tho.. if you jump place a block(under your feet) jump place a block etc you can ride your blocks up to your gyrocopter.

I too thought it was almost impossible to fly.. but like someone said the space is tilt up.. c is tilt down.. w is power.. so you can decline like a plane flying.. then nose up and use power to brake you.. in your fall. i freefall (or fly down faster but harder) then use w to counter gravity a bit then just take my finger off w for the last few feet. don't practice around spikes or deep water.

But..if you hold down the E button you shoot the hidden rockets in the copter...:crushed:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived