Game feels like its punishing me for levelling up

fishjie

This game has so many exploits, nerd pole is the least worry.

More concerning with nerd poling is that you can continue jumping when stamina is at 0. So while I am all for nerd polling, I would like to see its use slowed by the logical step of not allowing jumps when stamina = 0 or at least the jump is not a full block high.

There is actually 0 real reasons to build your own base in this game because of exploits:

1. For "home base", simply take over one of the large apartment buildings or a hotel POI's. Build on the top floor or roof. Make sure to put down claim block at ground floor. Zombies will not spawn and will not agro your heat sources up top any more(because so many meters off the ground)

2. Horde night - Drive around in minibike or higher vehicle all night. For horde nights before you can build a minibike(should only be 7 day horde), simply take over a brick structure POI, knock out stairs, be on roof.

To me, these are the bigger concerns than being able to nerd pole.

More concerning with nerd poling is that you can continue jumping when stamina is at 0. So while I am all for nerd polling, I would like to see its use slowed by the logical step of not allowing jumps when stamina = 0 or at least the jump is not a full block high.

There is actually 0 real reasons to build your own base in this game because of exploits:

1. For "home base", simply take over one of the large apartment buildings or a hotel POI's. Build on the top floor or roof. Make sure to put down claim block at ground floor. Zombies will not spawn and will not agro your heat sources up top any more(because so many meters off the ground)

2. Horde night - Drive around in minibike or higher vehicle all night. For horde nights before you can build a minibike(should only be 7 day horde), simply take over a brick structure POI, knock out stairs, be on roof.

To me, these are the bigger concerns than being able to nerd pole.

Just mentioned it because I kept seeing it in every post where people were talking about exploring POIs - it's like doors have become obsolete.

But you are absolutely correct. Both about jumping and about other obvious exploits/workarounds that seem to counteract the game's intended design. Some are shortcomings of in-development features like the AI and are more understandable and hopefully will be ironed out, but others are seemingly because of simple tweaks TFP chose not to make and that worries me.

That no zombies spawn when a landclaim block is active is one of its functions and therefore desired by the developer. However, if it becomes inactive you will suddenly have zombies everywhere. So it is wiser to build your own base.

You should talk to Gazz from the developers. As far as I know he sees both as a valid survival strategy and not as an exploit.

I'm gonna tell you a good reason why you should build your own base and horde base. It's fun and you can be creative.

And that's a much better reason than forcing people to do it by cutting off all other possibilities.

It’s funny how you guys are battling about “exploits” in a single player game.

If somebody wants to “spoil his fun” using “exploits”, so go ahead. Drive around on horde night with the mini bike? Do it. Who cares? Other people like to fight them. That’s also ok.

It’s all about choice. And with every so called “exploit” being removed, the game is less fun.

Multiplayer is another story but PVP isn’t working well anyway so again: who cares.

If somebody wants to “spoil his fun” using “exploits”, so go ahead. Drive around on horde night with the mini bike? Do it. Who cares? Other people like to fight them. That’s also ok.

It’s all about choice. And with every so called “exploit” being removed, the game is less fun.

Multiplayer is another story but PVP isn’t working well anyway so again: who cares.

I couldn't have said it better.

That no zombies spawn when a landclaim block is active is one of its functions and therefore desired by the developer.

And fragtzack never said otherwise. He just described a situation that can be resolved in a manner of ways that don't involve changing the function of the block. Why must the obvious be explained?

However, if it becomes inactive you will suddenly have zombies everywhere. So it is wiser to build your own base.

How can it become inactive? (Legit don't know, never use them)

You should talk to Gazz from the developers. As far as I know he sees both as a valid survival strategy and not as an exploit.

That is sad to hear, didn't know he saw it like that. I would consider it a valid strategy as well, if vehicles and gasoline were rare and valuable.

I'm gonna tell you a good reason why you should build your own base and horde base. It's fun and you can be creative.

The word "fun" can have a myriad different meanings for each one, so it really doesn't say anything in terms of substance. Creativity is and should be part of the game but if you think it is the only part that should be involved in the game's normal mode, you have normal and creative mode confused and, no offense, but creative might suit you better.

And that's a much better reason than forcing people to do it by cutting off all other possibilities.

All other possibilities need not be cut - that's a very one-dimensional way of thinking. What the people you argue with want, are choices of substance in place of exploits aka choices with no substance.

I couldn't have said it better.

You either just don't get it or you don't care enough to get it. I'd wager the latter. I won't explain for the 100th time how games are consisted by rules and how every statistic, mechanic, number like health is a rule from which the game consists of because it isn't a pure sandbox. I won't explain how a solid framework of rules without a world filled with exploits actually creates more playstyle freedom by creating meaningful choices with weighted options for the player. Either look at my post history, or please, even if it doesn't concern your way of playing, try to think about it yourselves a little if you want to comment on it.

@Roland - once again, notice some characteristics here. Most debates/complaints seem to have a common element - a more "laid-back", creative approach that often clashes with exploit fixing or even the slightest of restrictions (the "my playstyle _insert_"). A "demiurgic" mode might have some merit (seriously, don't call it like that).

I thought the only way for them to become inactive is if you place another land claim block somewhere else?

If it does so otherwise, that's a glitch and should be reported.

That is how it's "suppose" to work. It's an already known issue and has been reported multiple times to the best of my knowledge.

The thing is I don't consider nerd poling harmful to the game when it comes to building. Convenience is great. I only consider it harmful when it comes to exploring/gameplay because it is a cheap way to avoid dangers as demonstrated above and a cheap way to almost instantly reach skyscraper roofs (which is silly by all accounts and akin to vertical flight).

I just land on them in the Gyro...

Anyway making people ladder up to the roof instead of nerd-poling is just petty. They will still do it you're just making it slightly more annoying. Why would anyone want to do that? Annoy the players I mean. And why would anyone care about how other players go about hitting POIs? If some people find it more fun to nerd pole up and face the loot room enemies, more power to them. Mind boggles.

Also, MANY of the huge tier 5 POIs do not have their main loot rooms on the roof at all. You gonna remove block destruction from the game as well because I know where to enter through the wall and hit the final room?

Removing nerd polling from the game would be the last straw for me as doing so would be the most petty, mean-spirited change I can think of.

Anyway making people ladder up to the roof instead of nerd-poling is just petty. They will still do it you're just making it slightly more annoying. Why would anyone want to do that? Annoy the players I mean. And why would anyone care about how other players go about hitting POIs? If some people find it more fun to nerd pole up and face the loot room enemies, more power to them. Mind boggles.

Also, MANY of the huge tier 5 POIs do not have their main loot rooms on the roof at all. You gonna remove block destruction from the game as well because I know where to enter through the wall and hit the final room?

Removing nerd polling from the game would be the last straw for me as doing so would be the most petty, mean-spirited change I can think of.

Seriously.. I am just imagining trying to do some my large builds without nerd-poling. It would be insanely frustrating placing and then destroying ladders x50+ multiple times just to work on building a pit or tower. This is another horrible idea that will push players away from playing the game.

Another not thought out change that only solves 1 "problem" and creates more.

Annoying? It sounds like an interesting challenge to me. Do you consider being forced to fight zombies as annoying? What about the hunger and stamina system? Being forced to mine resources for hours on end to get a large-sized base. How is making scaffolding more difficult any different than the other survival elements of the game?

More elegant solution would be to randomize the location of the loot room so you don't know where to break the walls ahead of time.

All irrelevant discussion anyway, since nerd poling is not going anywhere.

I brought up nerdpoling to the devs some time ago. They were against removing it outright. However, Gazz came up with an alternative. Gazz’s Solution was to give frame blocks the ladder ability so that zeds can follow you on up.

I quite like the idea and it would make them even more useful for building.

This was just idle chatter so not a promise of the future. Gossip.

Seems it could be an interesting mod if nothing else.

Mind boggles at how can you keep asking the same questions when the exact answers to your "whys" have been answered in the previous posts.

If you think that pettiness and being mean is what drived me to discuss about this, or Roland to bring it up to the devs, or Gazz to propose a good alternative, how can you expect to be taken seriously... I understand that you really don't want to lose the convenience of nerd poling - it is established that it is a convenience in many situations that were mentioned in the previous posts - but also try to at least identify the real reasons other people may have a different opinion.

Seriously.. I am just imagining trying to do some my large builds without nerd-poling. It would be insanely frustrating placing and then destroying ladders x50+ multiple times just to work on building a pit or tower. This is another horrible idea that will push players away from playing the game.

Another not thought out change that only solves 1 "problem" and creates more.

Well shame on me for not keeping screenshots - I wonder what do you mean by "large".

Why would you ever, my dear man, build and destroy ladders x50 times? Plan your scaffolding, build one or max two vertical pathways and a few horizontal ones. You might find that doing this, compared to nerd poling x50 just to reach a confined space and pick it up again, could be even more practical.

All irrelevant discussion anyway, since nerd poling is not going anywhere.

Most likely. And as fragtzack said it's not that there aren't any higher priorities. Still like Gazz's idea though, hope it makes it in the game.

Annoying? It sounds like an interesting challenge to me. Do you consider being forced to fight zombies as annoying? What about the hunger and stamina system? Being forced to mine resources for hours on end to get a large-sized base. How is making scaffolding more difficult any different than the other survival elements of the game?

More elegant solution would be to randomize the location of the loot room so you don't know where to break the walls ahead of time.

Hallelujah on both points.

Mostly, because they have gotten used to them.

The randomization of the loot room is a must - there shouldn't be a loot room imo in the first place, at least not an identifiable one, but containers and random traps or pairs of both throughout the house. But that belongs to another discussion.

And fragtzack never said otherwise. He just described a situation that can be resolved in a manner of ways that don't involve changing the function of the block. Why must the obvious be explained?

Then explain how to solve what you call a problem without changing the function of the block ?

I don't call it a problem, by the way. There are also players who don't have a permanent base and are nomadic. That's their way of playing.

How can it become inactive? (Legit don't know, never use them)

I don't know if it's intentional or a bug but if I haven't played for a few days I have to reset my sleeping bag and set a new landclaim block.

And if you put a second landclaimblock in another place the first one will be inactive. The other function of the landclaim block is that you can pick up workstations or electric traps. When I build at a horde base it often happens that I change the wiring or try out different constructions. And when I look at some youtube videos I am not the only one who does that.

The word "fun" can have a myriad different meanings for each one, so it really doesn't say anything in terms of substance. Creativity is and should be part of the game but if you think it is the only part that should be involved in the game's normal mode, you have normal and creative mode confused and, no offense, but creative might suit you better.

What do you mean? Because I don't see things as deadly serious as you do?

The game offers many possibilities how to play it even in the normal game. Take a look at Youtube and Twitch. For example, take a look at the Z-Nation videos. Huge creative construction projects and still he fights every 7 days the horde. That is not mutually exclusive.

Then explain how to solve what you call a problem without changing the function of the block ?

I could say something like "increase positive y detection range/sound proliferation" or something like that. But in order to think of the best way to solve something, not only do you need careful consideration, but you really need to know the game's inner workings. In other words, it is not exactly my place to offer detailed solutions, just feedback or maybe a suggestion from time to time (which, for the reasons above, is very likely to be misguided).

I don't call it a problem, by the way. There are also players who don't have a permanent base and are nomadic. That's their way of playing.

But a nomadic playstyle is perfectly viable without exploiting the claim block by using it at the base of a skyscraper. A nomadic playthrough would also be perfectly viable if fuel was much rarer. A nomad could be harvesting enough fuel to even avoid the horde every week. At the moment, one could avoid it by running, making a bicycle, spending fuel for vehicles while having 5 bases with full electricity etc etc. It is not really about making the "nomadic playstyle" viable, when each player of any playstyle is able to avoid the horde at their leisure.

I don't know if it's intentional or a bug but if I haven't played for a few days I have to reset my sleeping bag and set a new landclaim block.

Should be a bug.

What do you mean? Because I don't see things as deadly serious as you do?

Everything has a cause (and effect). That fun you describe, stems from something. Describe that something instead of saying fun. That's why I don't like when people use fun to support their argument.

The game offers many possibilities how to play it even in the normal game. Take a look at Youtube and Twitch. For example, take a look at the Z-Nation videos. Huge creative construction projects and still he fights every 7 days the horde. That is not mutually exclusive.

Hey, would I be posting here if I didn't like the game? The game is great and I always believed that it has ginormous potential. And it can always keep improving. Now how each one of us believes it can improve, is another matter.

But a nomadic playstyle is perfectly viable without exploiting the claim block by using it at the base of a skyscraper. A nomadic playthrough would also be perfectly viable if fuel was much rarer. A nomad could be harvesting enough fuel to even avoid the horde every week. At the moment, one could avoid it by running, making a bicycle, spending fuel for vehicles while having 5 bases with full electricity etc etc. It is not really about the "nomadic playstyle" viable, when each player of any playstyle is able to avoid the horde at their leisure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, honestly, haven't TFP confirmed that they are literally going to put a toggle in to disable horde night? Wouldn't that make any discussion irrelevant about avoiding the horde?

After following the discussion here and starting a new player in Navezgane, I'm no longer running after zombies to kill, in order to not rush the gamestage. Leveling up is rewarding for the perks, but knowing that trouble comes, I'm taking my time.

This is another reason I miss learn by doing... you could level up mining and crafting etc without worrying about your "primary" levels too much.

I think there absolutely should be a huge advantage / incentive to not just bum rush every POI you see, in this case, the advantage is not bringing your gamestage up sky high while still getting most of the skills you want/need.

this would enable you to fortify your defenses BEFORE the green zombies come into play.

Before someone says "you can already loot POI's without killing zombies" that's true.... but mining and looting etc will still bring your gamestage up, and you're still level-gated from improving your mining and crafting skills, forcing you to level up, forcing you to increase gamestage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, honestly, haven't TFP confirmed that they are literally going to put a toggle in to disable horde night? Wouldn't that make any discussion irrelevant about avoiding the horde?

You are correct, they will. Pretty excited about that too, because I always wanted a random horde. Would also like some visual indications with it though.

But what does a menu option have to do with gameplay consistence? There are options for everything - one could play on creative, mod zombies out of the game, etc - one could do whatever one wants - like I said before I don't care how others play - you aren't doubting this... are you? :p

Why would I want gameplay to be consistent and elements not working against each other and being exploited by the game properly, whether it comes to my own singleplayer playthrough, my co-op playthrough, or a new player's playthrough who has read the game's description and has chosen to play on normal mode? As said before, not explaining it again, have done multiple times in the past, enough wall of texts for now...

like I said before I don't care how others play - you aren't doubting this... are you? :p

Lol, my point was that anyone, including me and you, discussing horde avoidance has been rendered irrelevant by TFP themselves. No underlying context to my statement.

Lol, my point was that anyone, including me and you, discussing horde avoidance has been rendered irrelevant by TFP themselves. No underlying context to my statement.

Yes, just messing around. But that's the thing - it hasn't been rendered irrelevant. Like I said above there is a day/night difference between choosing a ruleset via various menu options and gameplay consistency towards a ruleset you have already chosen. This is evident in any game ever. The most classic example is choosing a flat difficulty level in an action game - it (or its range, if it has one) doesn't fluctuate during gameplay, as that would just be asinine and would make the initial option meaningless.

I brought up nerdpoling to the devs some time ago. They were against removing it outright. However, Gazz came up with an alternative. Gazz’s Solution was to give frame blocks the ladder ability so that zeds can follow you on up.

I quite like the idea and it would make them even more useful for building. :)

This was just idle chatter so not a promise of the future. Gossip.

Seems it could be an interesting mod if nothing else.

Sounds good actually. Gonna mod this into my own game for all pickupable blocks. (Wood frames, scrap frames, Hay bales, etc)

Archived