8 FPS

TRMerc

I have been a long time player of 7D2D. I started when it was still a cube based building system like Minecraft when the only map was a crossroads. Though I took a short break after alpha 16 came out, and didn't get back until a couple days ago, and I found my game was running horribly. Almost to the point of being unplayable. I tried lowering the graphics, but I still could only get 8 FPS. I can not figure out what is wrong.

I have not had any trouble with anything except 7D2D with this low of frame rate.

I think it's interesting that you've been playing the game for all these years and never once thought of creating an account here until just now... but in response to your post; Alpha 17 was a really big update, and because of that, new junk code and issues have showed up. The devs are still working on it and the game should improve in performance soon enough.

8fps does sound way worse than what most players are getting though. Mind telling us what your system specs are? Might be more to this than just game optimizations.

I think it's interesting that you've been playing the game for all these years and never once thought of creating an account here until just now... but in response to your post; Alpha 17 was a really big update, and because of that, new junk code and issues have showed up. The devs are still working on it and the game should improve in performance soon enough.

8fps does sound way worse than what most players are getting though. Mind telling us what your system specs are? Might be more to this than just game optimizations.

Never really had a reason to create an account. Never had any issues playing the game, any suggestions, or any complaints until the 8 FPS.

i7 3.4 ghz Quad Core processor. 16 GB Ram. AMD Radeon R7 200 8 GB. My ram was at 10 GB out of 16 while running the game and my CPU was at 14%

open game launcher -> tools -> delete all folder u can find and uninstall the game and download it again. If it doesnt help try to lower some graphic options

I already have it on the lowest settings, but I'll delete all the folders and try re-installing.

open game launcher -> tools -> delete all folder u can find and uninstall the game and download it again.

I've always hated that suggestion... "verifying integrity of game files" usually has the exact same results without having to waste so much time and bandwidth in re-downloading it.

i7 3.4 ghz Quad Core processor. 16 GB Ram. AMD Radeon R7 200 8 GB. My ram was at 10 GB out of 16 while running the game and my CPU was at 14%

Your graphics card is very weak / and outdated and is likely holding you back a lot in game performance. That graphics might of been pretty good back in Alpha 10.4, but with the new game engine came new system requirements. Also, i7 3.4GHz means nothing unless I know which model or generation. If it's a first gen i7, then that could also be a reason for terrible performance.

I've always hated that suggestion... "verifying integrity of game files" usually has the exact same results without having to waste so much time and bandwidth in re-downloading it.

nope sorry.. i had micro stuttering and tried with verifying files it didnt helped. i reinstalled and it didnt helped. The only thing that solved my problem was what i wrote. I dont care what you hate or love but this instruction helped alot ppl.

Your graphics card is very weak / and outdated and is likely holding you back a lot in game performance. That graphics might of been pretty good back in Alpha 10.4, but with the new game engine came new system requirements. Also, i7 3.4GHz means nothing unless I know which model or generation. If it's a first gen i7, then that could also be a reason for terrible performance.

It might be old, but it can handle newer games on higher graphics settings. I have no problems with games like Fallout (4 and 76), Arkham series, Sniper Eliet 4, No Man's Sky, and other games. Playing on the lowest graphics settings reminds me of how games looked in 1998 with sometimes popping into what I remember from A16.

No his graphic card is not very weak or outdated. it should be enough to play on lowest settings

No his graphic card is not very weak or outdated. it should be enough to play on lowest settings

Lets play a game.

Which R7 200 series.

Is it one from 2013/2014? if so.. its old. is it a newer one, then its not, but until we know which exact model, you cant say it is or isnt anything.

EDIT, went looking cause I havent used AMD forever.

I would use those for a HTPC and nothing else.

Upgrade.

radeon r200 ist not a graphic card. its a driver-name for a whole series of cards ranging from r7 220 (worst) to r9 295 (best). anything under a r7 250 is would consider as very bad for gaming purposes. these are ~50 € cards for bureau computers.

i would guess the graphic card is the root of your problem. in the newest version of the game features which have previously had to be calculated by your processor and the use of the computers ram-memory seem to have been switched to use graphic-card power and its memory. with this change low end graphics cards have more or less trouble of keeping up.

if your card is a r7 265 or higher it should work fine, but i doubt you have smtng like that.

It might be old, but it can handle newer games on higher graphics settings. I have no problems with games like Fallout (4 and 76), Arkham series, Sniper Eliet 4, No Man's Sky, and other games. Playing on the lowest graphics settings reminds me of how games looked in 1998 with sometimes popping into what I remember from A16.

7D2D is a very different category of game type compared to any of the games you mentioned. This game is like the Crysis of it's time (aka a bit ahead of it's time). With all the constant structural integrity calculations, weather / temperature system, thousands of HD entity / block textures appearing on screen at any given time (unlike static worlds where it's basically just a single image stretched out like a canvas with large simple entities on top), AI spawn system, hundreds of entity animations like grass, vehicles and other entity behaviors, etc. The reason most games, especially AAA titles can be played on even the oldest / worst gaming PCs is because it's much easier to adjust game settings to work on old / crappy hardware since there's so little calculations and stuff within the game. It's basically all just fancy textures that make it demanding on hardware which is easy to adjust. In a game like this, you can't just remove structural integrity or any of the other above mentioned features (at least not for the most part). Also, I can't believe you play Fallout 76 and No Man's Sky... terrible games.

So ya, saying your GPU can handle newer games is irrelevant. It'd be the same as me telling you my hot plate can cook almost anything, but it can't cook a pizza very well... because it lacks features, like an oven.

Your post contradicts itself. Playing a game only on lowest settings is the definition of weak hardware. Also, look up benchmarks before making assumptions that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I have everything set to the lowest setting. Changing the resolution to 1280x720 has made the game run smoothly, even though the FPS has not gotten above 11.

I'll experiment with lower resolution settings later, but for now it seems to be alright. Now if I can just get past the random zombies spawning behind you when you least expect them (like after clearing a building and doing 2 walkthroughs and walk into a dead end), the new building with pit traps that have a hoard of undead cheerleaders waiting for you, and the lack of Stamina in the early game. I can start to learn A17.

I have everything set to the lowest setting. Changing the resolution to 1280x720 has made the game run smoothly, even though the FPS has not gotten above 11.

I'll experiment with lower resolution settings later, but for now it seems to be alright. Now if I can just get past the random zombies spawning behind you when you least expect them (like after clearing a building and doing 2 walkthroughs and walk into a dead end), the new building with pit traps that have a hoard of undead cheerleaders waiting for you, and the lack of Stamina in the early game. I can start to learn A17.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that a lot of the code runs at 20hz. So you must have a minimum of 20fps to avoid issues such as the zombies spawning right on top of you.

Besides, 11 FPS on lowest possible settings (read as ugly as any game i've ever seen including all PS1 games) is simply not playable and i'd be afraid it would strain your eyes playing it like that. The 'lowest' settings on this game are a joke - they honestly shouldn't even exist - it doesn't represent how the game is supposed to look and it just a muddled mess that would have you squinting your eyes trying to make out what the various shapes in the distance are - couple that with running it at a low resolution and scaling it and then at 8-11 fps and you're gonna probably strain your eyes.

Don't play like that, man...just don't.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that a lot of the code runs at 20hz. So you must have a minimum of 20fps to avoid issues such as the zombies spawning right on top of you.

Besides, 11 FPS on lowest possible settings (read as ugly as any game i've ever seen including all PS1 games) is simply not playable and i'd be afraid it would strain your eyes playing it like that. The 'lowest' settings on this game are a joke - they honestly shouldn't even exist - it doesn't represent how the game is supposed to look and it just a muddled mess that would have you squinting your eyes trying to make out what the various shapes in the distance are - couple that with running it at a low resolution and scaling it and then at 8-11 fps and you're gonna probably strain your eyes.

Can confirm that Fataal said anything below 20fps will create (unspecified but certainly horrible :distrust:) issues.

@TRMerc: Also the 10 fps won't hold on horde night. Short term you have to lower the resolution. Long term you might hope for some improvements by TFP, but there won't be miracles.

Reflections, lighting, and resolution are major hits in fps - until they optimize more. Resolution is the main key, I run about 35-38 on my laptop using 800 resolution, ~20-25 on 1080. Anything higher and I go down to 5-8 FPS too lol

i wouldn't bet on them optimizing stuff anytime soon if ever really, reflections and shadows off forever for me.

I grew up on graphics like PS1, I'm use to it. I don't care about graphics as long as the game is fun to play

7D2D is a very different category of game type compared to any of the games you mentioned. This game is like the Crysis of it's time (aka a bit ahead of it's time). With all the constant structural integrity calculations, weather / temperature system, thousands of HD entity / block textures appearing on screen at any given time (unlike static worlds where it's basically just a single image stretched out like a canvas with large simple entities on top), AI spawn system, hundreds of entity animations like grass, vehicles and other entity behaviors, etc. The reason most games, especially AAA titles can be played on even the oldest / worst gaming PCs is because it's much easier to adjust game settings to work on old / crappy hardware since there's so little calculations and stuff within the game. It's basically all just fancy textures that make it demanding on hardware which is easy to adjust. In a game like this, you can't just remove structural integrity or any of the other above mentioned features (at least not for the most part). Also, I can't believe you play Fallout 76 and No Man's Sky... terrible games.

So ya, saying your GPU can handle newer games is irrelevant. It'd be the same as me telling you my hot plate can cook almost anything, but it can't cook a pizza very well... because it lacks features, like an oven.

Your post doesn't make much sense. Why would the graphics card be where they are making all of these calculations for blocks? If that was the case my CPU would be higher than 14% usage. If the FunPimps programmed the game to use the GPU to process mathmatical equations then they did a horrible job programming the game, but I do not believe the programmers would do that. If my CPU was over 80% usage I would agree that those background caluclations were slowing it down.

It may sound weird but have you tried raising some settings? I actually had worse fps with lod and a cpl others set low. Try playing with your setting more than just dropping all to the bottom. Shadows and reflections yes, leave off with low specs. Drop resolution one level and then experiment with the others. Your hardware alone is not the reason you're getting such extreme low fps. It can definitely do better than it is.

Archived