A17 " Stable " ... My experience

Wigbert

When I first started the game it would crash on RWG creation.

I deleted all my old saves from the steam folder and from the 7DTD appdata folder.

Now I can create a map.

Started the game. World gen was real slow, but after shutting down my computer a few times it finally worked itself out.

Started the new awesome map (seed: Buzzardfood ). Started my beginner quest. Round about making a bow and 2 arrows I was attacked by birds and die because being day 1 and 4 minutes into the game I have no way to defend myself except with a club and 2 arrows. I restart, and then noticed all the signs and vending machines and bird nests and mangled cars have no Hi-res textures. For the most part all the hi-res textures were missing and everything was pretty blurry. I correctly assumed I would have to reset the graphics. So I set all graphics to default. Shut down the game. Started again and set the setting to Max everything again. Restart and yes .. everything looks normal now. So I start to play a little. But wait... now my beginner quest has frozen and is stuck after making 2 arrows and is no longer progressing or showing the next quest step. I shut down the game in frustration. Some hours later I start it up again and the quest is now working but has entirely skipped building wood frames and upgrading and is now ready for me to make a campfire. Campfire complete ..next trader... Trader 2.5K away... ugh... ok .. so I slap down a bedroll and start to run for it. Chased the entire way by birds I made it 2.3K when the birds did me in. Oops no bedroll .. so I will be starting back from square 1. I spawn on my bed. Boom. I am bleeding but no enemy in sight. So all bloody I start to run toward the trader. The bleeding stopped before I died and was replace with..I am sick... whatever. I keep running. Soon being sick is exchanged for the Infection Icon.... whatever... I keep running picking up fiber along the way. I am now near my pack. Which has to zombies dancing on top of it. I slap down a bedroll and I kite them away. Bending down to get my pack and RAW RAW RAW!! there is a bird on my back and I die. I respawn and go to my pack ... STILL WITH THE BIRDS TFP???? ..... I run around in circles and manage to pick up my pack. I make a bee line for the Trader. Woo I made it past the zombie jogging track that encircles the post and close the door behind me. Talk to the trader. decide to look around the outpost. Sweet.. a working forge! ..... I go outside and spy a munitions box in one of the towers. I climb up and start to open the box. RAW REEE RAWWW!!! ... Birds? Really?... I die inside the trading post.

Stable? you tell me.

Birds...... Birds...... TFP.... Are you insane? At least give me the chance to make some arrows and defend myself.

You went a little overboard on the Birds in my opinion. ( perhaps using the seed Buzzardfood was not a wise choice)

It is a work in progress and hardly stable. There is no shame in keeping it experimental.

It's stable so people can play without fearing a wipe for a bit. It's not stable because it's finished. RWG will be reworked after New year. In the meantime, i suggest you play on Navezgane since it's been completely reworked anyway.

As for birds, the ones found randomly in the wilderness don't attack if you have more than certain percentage of health. Stay full hp and you'll be fine. As for the birds you "wake up" in locations.... Just stay on your guard. You'll find these mostly in wilderness camping sites or on roofs. One or two club hits too kill.

One thing to keep in mind is you don't HAVE to go to the trader on day 1. If he's 2.5KM from start...I'd just work towards that direction for your first night..but don't have to go all the way. You do not get a skill point for doing so. You usually will not have enough things to sell at this point and you won't be able to afford most things anyway. You could spend that time making ammo and the things you need and do it the next day.

My experience so far is what I'd describe as stable. It's unfortunate that you've had a bad time with it.

Not a bad time. Just difficult. I plan to keep playing this one. I will be fine when I have enough arrows. Birds are easy to kill with arrows.

- - - Updated - - -

It's stable so people can play without fearing a wipe for a bit. It's not stable because it's finished. RWG will be reworked after New year. In the meantime, i suggest you play on Navezgane since it's been completely reworked anyway.

As for birds, the ones found randomly in the wilderness don't attack if you have more than certain percentage of health. Stay full hp and you'll be fine. As for the birds you "wake up" in locations.... Just stay on your guard. You'll find these mostly in wilderness camping sites or on roofs. One or two club hits too kill.

I did have to wipe everything in order to play though. Thanks for the bird info.. that will be helpful.

Multi player can make melee a pain pill fest for the remote players, get hit constantly by zombies that are in stunned animations and or already dead. I had a buzzard take me from 80 health to 14 while I had a health kit running. The thing was just sitting on my head and wouldn't die.

My advice for not being attacked so soon would be to stay within your spawn area until you've completed your quest until you reach the locate trader, no hostiles will spawn until you leave the area or until 2pm. By the time you finish your quest you'll be more prepared, power attack the vultures with your wooden club for a 1 shot kill :)

My advice for not being attacked so soon would be to stay within your spawn area until you've completed your quest until you reach the locate trader, no hostiles will spawn until you leave the area or until 2pm. By the time you finish your quest you'll be more prepared, power attack the vultures with your wooden club for a 1 shot kill :)

I can't say how much I agree with this. I always stay in my zone gathering til at least 1 pm. If I leave there without at least 200 stone and wood and 50 wood frames then something is seriously wrong (I do play 120 minute days ever since I first found the game so have more freedom of time). This lets me spend the rest of my time looting trash on my way to the trader then finding the closest poi for the night. next day I start looking for an actual living location nearby the trader.

I can't say how much I agree with this. I always stay in my zone gathering til at least 1 pm. If I leave there without at least 200 stone and wood and 50 wood frames then something is seriously wrong (I do play 120 minute days ever since I first found the game so have more freedom of time). This lets me spend the rest of my time looting trash on my way to the trader then finding the closest poi for the night. next day I start looking for an actual living location nearby the trader.

I like 120 minute days. 60 minute days and less feels like I'm on a runaway Merry-go-round! :)

The endless, mindless killing of zombies does get old for me, but I'm hoping that some kind of real plot(s) will add some point to it.

An example of adding meaning would be: If you actually clear out an area, then the player could build a settlement, or add to a traders settlement in that cleared area.

Well, for me A17 it's unplayable, and it was supposed to be better in terms of performance than all previous alpha versions(just like TFP's said), but even with the lowest settings possible it runs like crap...and before telling me "Oh man, you must have a potato PC" you should note that I can run A16.4 and any other version just fine. A17 being better in terms of performance than previous versions? Yea, sure TFP... .

To be honest, until they deal with the stuttering and all the memory leak problems...this game (or at least A17 version) is pretty much "bye bye" for me.

And this is my experience with A17... You don't have to agree with me, I don't care if you do or don't, but I'm sure I'm not the only one having this problem.

Well, for me A17 it's unplayable, and it was supposed to be better in terms of performance than all previous alpha versions(just like TFP's said), but even with the lowest settings possible it runs like crap...and before telling me "Oh man, you must have a potato PC" you should note that I can run A16.4 and any other version just fine. A17 being better in terms of performance than previous versions? Yea, sure TFP... .

To be honest, until they deal with the stuttering and all the memory leak problems...this game (or at least A17 version) is pretty much "bye bye" for me.

And this is my experience with A17... You don't have to agree with me, I don't care if you do or don't, but I'm sure I'm not the only one having this problem.

Did you try this guys advice? It helped me alot.

Posted by Nugetti

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?97714-Freeze-Issue&p=891344#post891344

Looks like a DX11 renderer issue.

As a workaround, try using GLCore renderer from the launcher. Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your 1060.

EDIT: Also, if your Ryzen has an integrated GPU, disable that. Then you might not have to switch to GLCore. (This also applies to anyone having this issue and has CPU integrated graphics, be it Intel or AMD)

EDIT 2: I also found this online, you go to NVIDIA control panel, make a profile for 7daystodie .exe file in the "Manage 3D settings" -> "Program settings" and put in the following:

Ambient Occlussion - OFF

Power Management Mode - Prefer Maximum Performance (apparently this is the key player here)

Threaded Optimization - ON

Triple Buffering - OFF

Vertical Sync - OFF

The biggest thing to make it run better for me was to turn the resolution down a few notches. I can't explain WHY it's so much better, but it's the difference in 30fps, or 6fps. Changing the textures, etc didn't matter.

Enemies can find you now and don't waste a lot of time circle-dancing.

It takes a bit to get used to that.

A16 also had vultures but now their AI works. ;)

I do not know if AI works better but if I know that the balance of zombies does not work, yesterday I played for the last time at 17 before loading to 16.4 with valmod.

What decided me is that after the red moon 91 the last zombie radiated bike that was I gave him 67 arrows, get off the system of anti hordes, I climbed the 4x4 I rolled it 18 times, get off the 4 x 4 I gave him 45 shots with ak level 5 with 4 mods, 22 pistol shots with mods. The zombie was still alive, so I just said kill me and I finished the a-17 here.

I do not know if AI works better but if I know that the balance of zombies does not work, yesterday I played for the last time at 17 before loading to 16.4 with valmod.

What decided me is that after the red moon 91 the last zombie radiated bike that was I gave him 67 arrows, get off the system of anti hordes, I climbed the 4x4 I rolled it 18 times, get off the 4 x 4 I gave him 45 shots with ak level 5 with 4 mods, 22 pistol shots with mods. The zombie was still alive, so I just said kill me and I finished the a-17 here.

The best thing you can do might be to modify zombie's health values in entityclasses.xml file (if you know how to do it and if you have the patience).

Archived