It's an experimental build of an alpha

Vomkat

...this OP has no actual feedback and is just hostile to other people on the forums, shame on the moderators for doing nothing about this.

Regardless of what the moderators should do, you brought in stuff from your own thread which was not at all related to this thread (its individual merits aside).

Have a good day, Pot.

No it does not. The game has sandbox elements (voxel) but is not a pure sandbox game. That much is obvious. Gazz's description is a mix of genres. A mix of genres is when those genres work together as different elements in a game.

For that reason, no, players shouldn't be trading, say, a block of concrete for a rocket and the economy MM is working on atm, for example, must make sense. Don't ignore the rest of the genres this game contains.

No, youre right, its not purely a sandbox game, but it does have sandbox elements. But my point was, you (and I'm using the general 'you' here as my post was directed at Vomkat) cant tell people how they should be having fun.

I keep seeing you posting, telling people their posts are nothing to do with the topic. Are you some sort of forum vigilante?

I do agree that non-constructive criticism/whatever this is needs to be stamped out though and this thread is a prime example of that.

I told exactly one person to make a new topic about a diffrent issue, i did so because his postion actually has some merit and i tottaly support his suggestion for gamestage to be an option, maybe a new game mode or jjust a toggle in options, either way it was a completely separate issue to the one i presented and having a place for that to be discussed on its own is much better.

No, youre right, its not purely a sandbox game, but it does have sandbox elements. But my point was, you cant tell people how they should be having fun.

Of course you can't - it needs to be expressed in a clear way, that it's not anything personal or has to do with individual player preferences - it's just what people should expect from the game's normal mode. That said, I am all for a sandbox mode (not for me, but because a decent amount of people seem to want that) with no locks, punitive consequences and absolute freedom.

Of course you can't - it needs to be expressed in a clear way, that it's not anything personal or has to do with individual player preferences - it's just what people should expect from the game's normal mode. That said, I am all for a sandbox mode (not for me, but because a decent amount of people seem to want that) with no locks, punitive consequences and absolute freedom.

The thing is, that complete freedom sandbox mode is basically creative mode. There should be some element of things being locked, but it should be relative to how you play the game.

For example, you wouldn't know how to create intricate arches/corner blocks straight away, but the more blocks you craft, the better you are at it, meaning at certain points you would 'learn' how to create those more complicated block types. Whether thats through a skill point system or XP based is up to TFP. Thats just a loose suggestion that might or might not work.

In relation to the concrete block example, maybe the more you sell to traders over time, the less they are worth. Supply and demand. That would stop people farming concrete for cash so much, while still allowing them to do so if they choose to. It would also encourage them to find other methods of playing that earn them dolla.

The thing is, that complete freedom sandbox mode is basically creative mode. There should be some element of things being locked, but it should be relative to how you play the game.

For example, you wouldn't know how to create intricate arches/corner blocks straight away, but the more blocks you craft, the better you are at it, meaning at certain points you would 'learn' how to create those more complicated block types. Whether thats through a skill point system or XP based is up to TFP. Thats just a loose suggestion that might or might not work.

In relation to the concrete block example, maybe the more you sell to traders over time, the less they are worth. Supply and demand. That would stop people farming concrete for cash so much, while still allowing them to do so if they choose to. It would also encourage them to find other methods of playing that earn them dolla.

Yes, that's a good idea for any virtual economy, hope MM sees it. I've never managed to make a good long-term virtual economy work in my Minecraft server, without having a single controlled income source (like only gold being sellable), no matter how many sinks I implemented - it would be a huge challenge to create a completely open economy even for an economologist.

Sandbox mode as in something between creative and survival - no creative menus etc (everthing would have to be crafted), just without locks, penalties and perhaps with minimal block damage, so that players can primarily build without much hinderance, while exploring, scavenging and fight zombies at their leisure.

Why does it bother you if people do this?

I just want to help you. I know you want to exploit the mechanics, and I'm dedicated to ensuring that you can't.

People like me exist to ensure that you don't get to play Monopoly any way that you want. We come up with rules, and then insist that you follow them. When you find a loophole, we change the rules and force you to accept the change. Deal with it. You will be much happier under new management.

Yes, that's a good idea for any virtual economy, hope MM sees it. I've never managed to make a good long-term virtual economy work in my Minecraft server, without having a single controlled income source (like only gold being sellable), no matter how many sinks I implemented - it would be a huge challenge to create a completely open economy even for an economologist.

Sandbox mode as in something between creative and survival - no creative menus etc (everthing would have to be crafted), just without locks, penalties and perhaps with minimal block damage, so that players can primarily build without much hinderance, while exploring, scavenging and fight zombies at their leisure.

Thank you. I mean its not perfect, but thats how real life economy works so it should transfer to a virtual one relatively well.

Oh I see what you mean, in that case, yes, agreed. That would work very well for those players who are focused on building and crafting.

There are ways to please everyone!

I just want to help you. I know you want to exploit the mechanics, and I'm dedicated to ensuring that you can't.

People like me exist to ensure that you don't get to play Monopoly any way that you want. We come up with rules, and then insist that you follow them. When you find a loophole, we change the rules and force you to accept the change. Deal with it.

I'm not exploiting mechanics, I just play the game mate. Don't assume my playstyle. I don't need you to 'help' me thank you. I'm quite fine on my own.

But to answer your post. Why does it bother you so much that others are doing this? And why have you assumed the role of the rule-maker? As far as I can see, you are not a TFP staff member, so you have no jurisdiction over rule making.

If you have a look at a previous post of mine on here, you will see I've made a loose suggestion on how this 'loophole' can be amended.

Also, in your Monopoly example, many people use house rules that don't follow the exact game rules, because it adds a bit of fun. As with many other board games and tabletop RPGs.

Remind me never to play a board game with you, it sounds like you would drain the life out of it.

Thank you. I mean its not perfect, but thats how real life economy works so it should transfer to a virtual one relatively well.

Oh I see what you mean, in that case, yes, agreed. That would work very well for those players who are focused on building and crafting.

There are ways to please everyone!

Creating a perfect economy is worse than coding a game in assembly. Hope MM does a good job on it.

There are, it's just that what I always argued about in these forums, is that these ways cannot happen via in-game mechanics in the base game's survival mode. They have to be menu options, because they change the game in a fundamental way which does not really match its description. I think that communicating that in a better way, *cough, cough* I'm looking at some moderating people right now, would solve a lot of community grievances.

Oh, don't worry, I'll help you anyways. :rapture:

As I said, don't need your help. Stop trying to push your beliefs on to me. For the record, I've not really disagreed with your thoughts on people farming concrete for money, so I'm not sure why accusing me of exploiting. My point was that you, as Vomkat, have no right to tell people how to have fun.

You seem very angry. So this is clearly an issue you feel strongly about.

How about making some suggestions on ways to improve these issues you feel so strongly about? All I've seen is confrontational, rude comments from you so far and not much in the way of brainstorming a viable solution to the problem.

How would you feel about it being based on a supply/demand mechanic?

Do you think the sell price should be reduced?

Come on bro, you cant just create a thread and not be willing to discuss ideas and suggestions!

Creating a perfect economy is worse than coding a game in assembly. Hope MM does a good job on it.

There are, it's just that what I always argued about in these forums, is that these ways cannot happen via in-game mechanics in the base game's survival mode. They have to be menu options, because they change the game in a fundamental way which does not really match its description. I think that communicating that in a better way, *cough, cough* I'm looking at some moderating people right now, would solve a lot of community grievances.

Couldn't agree more with this. Brilliant South Park moment as well hahaha.

Also, in your Monopoly example, many people use house rules that don't follow the exact game rules, because it adds a bit of fun. As with many other board games and tabletop RPGs.

Other people's house rules in Monopoly don't have the potential to make the designers change the game for everyone else who was playing by the published rules.

Optimisation is being worked on on several fronts but it's too early to tell what exactly that will amount to.

I am kinda mad they nerfed the power attack damage on the sledgehammer. from 150 to 99. The sledge should have the highest power attack block damage as its not used for harvesting, just for busting into things.

To be fair i dont think TFP realize what an alpha is supposed to be about either, its supposed to be for adding core systems to the game, not adding core systems to the game and redesigning or coding large parts of it with excessive grinding, this an experimnrtal build for gods sake, if we are to expect wipes and issues... why does it take 500 hours to get to max level? Slowing down testing and bug reports during this phase is asinine, even stable branchs shouldnt have this kind of balancing, thats what betas are for but TFP seem to be planning to stright from A18 to release instead of following actual established and proven development methodologies.

I think it can definitely be argued that TFP's idea of what an alpha is supposed to be is far detached from normal software development cycles. What's ironic is how despite this seriously abnormal alpha which keeps reinventing itself over and over, it has a community hellbent on using the "DoN't yOu kNoW wHaT aLpHa iS??" argument. Yeah I do know what alpha is, and it's not this. This is something very different. It's an awesome game which perpetually reinvents itself without committing to a direction. Considering I can choose any version to install, its like having five different games in one. It's a game which is arguable one of the best voxel-based building games in the world, yet no longer cares, and now wants to become something else. I mean they could keep on doing this forever and maybe 20 years from now I'd just install the version I enjoyed the most.

Thread has been cleaned up some.

Keep the discussion civil.

If you don't have something constructive to say, just shut up and go somewhere else.

So you completely delete my last post where I'm trying to get some input from the OP? I actively asked him several questions about the inventory system. I was trying to get him to have a constructive input. So I will ask him again.

Vomkat,

Do you want the game to take a more realistic direction?

What about reducing the stack amounts for items in game?

How about a weight system?

Do you like the encumbrance system? Would you like that system extended?

Is there anything you can suggest that might change the system for the better?

Come on bro, you must have some ideas

But to answer your post. Why does it bother you so much that others are doing this? And why have you assumed the role of the rule-maker? As far as I can see, you are not a TFP staff member, so you have no jurisdiction over rule making.

I wish more people would actually remember this and not get so triggered by people who have absolutely no power to change the way they play their game.

Most of this thread consists of people telling other people to stop trying to tell them how to play. Guess what? They can’t. They aren’t developers who can do anything about it. So no need to feel threatened.

Thats pretty damn hostile for a moderator and not setting a great example for the rest of us to follow.

Let's go back to yesterday.

And you damn well better follow the instructions in the first post.

I don't understand it either.

Deleating my post (thankfukly its alreadly been quoted) isnt very nice, especialy when it was meant to point out that the moderators on this forum are rude and disrespectfull. Maybe its not a nice thing to point out but again: if we are ever going to see an end to the toxicity on the forums then the staff needs to be a setting a good example.

Edit- if you would like me to make a seperate thread discussing this issue and making suggestions for improvements im more than happy to do so.

To be fair, most of the moderators aren't rude and disrespectful.

Thats fair, dont mean to tar everone with the same brush. The fact that some staff members (developers and moderators) are disrespectfull at all is a big disappointment though, and makes me personnaly hesitate to point new players to the game.

I think it can definitely be argued that TFP's idea of what an alpha is supposed to be is far detached from normal software development cycles. What's ironic is how despite this seriously abnormal alpha which keeps reinventing itself over and over, it has a community hellbent on using the "DoN't yOu kNoW wHaT aLpHa iS??" argument. Yeah I do know what alpha is, and it's not this. This is something very different. It's an awesome game which perpetually reinvents itself without committing to a direction. Considering I can choose any version to install, its like having five different games in one. It's a game which is arguable one of the best voxel-based building games in the world, yet no longer cares, and now wants to become something else. I mean they could keep on doing this forever and maybe 20 years from now I'd just install the version I enjoyed the most.

+1

Thread has been cleaned up some.

Keep the discussion civil.

If you don't have something constructive to say, just shut up and go somewhere else.

I find this hilariously ironic considering that the original post provided nothing that can be considered constructive.

Archived