It's an experimental build of an alpha

Vomkat

it's a years worth of people's imaginations that can't quite admit that maybe they expected something different than what we got. Some people seem to expect a17 to be an A16 clone that's easier to cheese out of major challenges while also being a game that's so hard that every other player that isn't them or play exactly like them gets wrecked and their games deleted, hard drives wiped, and their existence purged from the internet when a zombie touches them (STILL TOO EASY!).

v208 fixed a lot of big balance issues with what was initially released, and isn't a bad version by any means. It's yet another major paradigm shift, and I hope TFP settle on a system and decide to stick with it at some point. Gamestage scaling seems off a bit if Nomad was meant for SP play, although it also appears meant to punish first-week xp 'rushing', which I can't say is a bad thing. Slowing it down by 10-20% should bring the gamestage in line with normal gameplay while still providing "additional challenge" to the "fast xp min/max' crowd that are probably hiding on rooftops or digging to bedrock anyway.

Yah, that's the issue, people want to cheese out of major challenges, and then pretend they are just "having fun and playing the way I want to play". Like, oh, it's just fun for me to dig and dig and make concrete and trade it for a rocket launcher. Sucks to get your exploit nerfed. Git gud!

Both the Kickstarter and the Steam store page say something very similar:

7 Days to Die is an open world, voxel-based, sandbox game that is a unique mash up of First Person Shooter, Survival Horror, Tower Defense and Role Playing Games combining combat, crafting, looting, mining, exploration, and character growth.

You cannot have survival without serious consequences for death and supplies like food and drink being valuable.

You cannot have tower defense if enemies pose no threat because they cannot reach you or your base to do any damage at all.

The game is finally starting to achieve those major milestone goals. You are welcome.

Oh, look its a staff person!

Alpha 17 looks like an improvement to me, so good job. The only issue I'm having is some graphics lag, but I assume that's an optimization issue that will be adjusted at some point... either that, or I just need a new computer.

Shame on you! Make your own game!

Shame on me for having opinions without being a game developer?

You know that the purpose of this forum is to give blessing, critique and suggestion.

And that I have done in multiple threads and also done a review post.

Shame on you for implying that you are not allowed to have opinions with us being a game developer. Lol

Yah, that's the issue, people want to cheese out of major challenges, and then pretend they are just having fun and playing the way I want to play". Like, oh, it's just fun for me to dig and dig and make concrete and trade it for a rocket launcher. Sucks to get your exploit nerfed. Git gud!

Yeah, It is so challenging to run around on my feet and collecting feathers every bloodmoon. Almost dark soul level challenge! /s

But seriously, no matter how much devs try, zeds would never be a real challenge. Their ai would be analysed and exploited. Every. Single. Time.

The only real threat in this game are other players. They are the ones who can trully exploit all your defences and present a real danger. Sadly, game isnt balanced around this game mode, and A17 made pvp experience worse. Not better.

So how about the fact that the crafting elements of the game are gated behind large ammounts of grind? (this is not fun, and makes 0 sense during a testing branch of the game)

Find a steel axe looting a container on day 1 vs crafting one after 50 or 60 hours of gameplay is not a fair balance between the two play styles and calling this a crafting game when basic tools that make the game less tedious are locked behind RNG or hours of grinding is a bit on the nose.

quit your crying already. Shame on you!

I AGREE.PEOPLE NEED TO QUIT CRYING. I've been playing 7d2d since pre-alpha v0.0, i'm ranked #1 in my server, and have been involved in numerous raids, and have over 300,000 confirmed kills in a17 alone. I play on hardcore mode only, with permadeath enabled, and blood moons every other night. I have loot percentages set to 25% and block durability set to 300% and a17 is still too easy. I use fists only and never build forges, minibikes, or electricity because that takes away from the realism. I welcome the new changes to building and mining, in fact i completely modded out digging and building because i'm not a fan of voxel games. Please stop your crying, do you have any idea what alpha even means? If this game gives you anything to cry about then you should go back to minecraft.

Negative feedback is the most valuable kind of feedback and something like "stop crying" will only add fuel to the fire.

Yes, some people can't tell a bug or an obvious balance problem from an intended game mechanic, which may not be their fault, however some others haven't read the game's description and instead of asking for a e.g. sandbox mode or sliders, they wonder why the normal game's mode is "punitive". Just link the game's description at this case, but many concerns about how some things were implemented do not belong in these categories.

I mean is it like 10 man company (that would explain all the delays) or is it like a big company that knows what is doing ?

This is a weird false dichotomy. Only large companies "know what they're doing"?

So how about the fact that the crafting elements of the game are gated behind large ammounts of grind? (this is not fun, and makes 0 sense during a testing branch of the game)

Go get your own thread! (Isn't that what you told SnowDog?)

Yes, some people can't tell a bug or an obvious balance problem from an intended game mechanic, which may not be their fault, however some others haven't read the game's description and instead of asking for a e.g. sandbox mode or sliders, they wonder why the normal game's mode is "punitive".

You speak truth.

I AGREE.PEOPLE NEED TO QUIT CRYING. I've been playing 7d2d since pre-alpha v0.0, i'm ranked #1 in my server, and have been involved in numerous raids, and have over 300,000 confirmed kills in a17 alone. I play on hardcore mode only, with permadeath enabled, and blood moons every other night. I have loot percentages set to 25% and block durability set to 300% and a17 is still too easy. I use fists only and never build forges, minibikes, or electricity because that takes away from the realism. I welcome the new changes to building and mining, in fact i completely modded out digging and building because i'm not a fan of voxel games. Please stop your crying, do you have any idea what alpha even means? If this game gives you anything to cry about then you should go back to minecraft.

To be fair i dont think TFP realize what an alpha is supposed to be about either, its supposed to be for adding core systems to the game, not adding core systems to the game and redesigning or coding large parts of it with excessive grinding, this an experimnrtal build for gods sake, if we are to expect wipes and issues... why does it take 500 hours to get to max level? Slowing down testing and bug reports during this phase is asinine, even stable branchs shouldnt have this kind of balancing, thats what betas are for but TFP seem to be planning to stright from A18 to release instead of following actual established and proven development methodologies.

How about we discuss and critique the game like adults rather than throwing childish insults around and flaming others?

I'm going to continue saying this and hopefully a staff member will see it and acknowledge it.

Easy should be easy.

Insane should be insane.

The difficulty scaling needs looking at, in addition to maybe providing a few extra advanced options so both casual and hardcore players can adjust these as necessary.

Just because you know how to capitalize your words, it doesn't mean you should get your way and your way only. The game can cater to everybody :)

This is a weird false dichotomy. Only large companies "know what they're doing"?

Go get your own thread! (Isn't that what you told SnowDog?)

That is not what i said at all, i told him to take his completely disconnected issue to a seperate thread. I suggested that to keep feedback in my own thread for devolving... this OP has no actual feedback and is just hostile to other people on the forums, shame on the moderators for doing nothing about this.

That is not what i said at all, i told him to take his completely disconnected issue to a seperate thread. I suggested that to keep feedback in my own thread for devolving... this OP has no actual feedback and is just hostile to other people on the forums, shame on the moderators for doing nothing about this.

I keep seeing you posting, telling people their posts are nothing to do with the topic. Are you some sort of forum vigilante?

I do agree that non-constructive criticism/whatever this is needs to be stamped out though and this thread is a prime example of that.

Yah, that's the issue, people want to cheese out of major challenges, and then pretend they are just "having fun and playing the way I want to play". Like, oh, it's just fun for me to dig and dig and make concrete and trade it for a rocket launcher. Sucks to get your exploit nerfed. Git gud!

Vomkat,

Why does it bother you if people do this? Would it personally affect you if I were to dig and trade concrete for a rocket launcher on my game?

Why do you assume they are pretending to have fun? Maybe they actually are?

Then you just end with "git gud" which is a prime example of the non intellectual toxicity this forum displays on a daily basis.

'Sandbox' is a word in the game description posted by Gazz of Fun Pimps Staff above. This means you have the freedom to play how you want. Much like Minecraft, GTA, Just Cause etc etc...

If I want to drive around obeying traffic laws on GTA, I can.

If I want to farm on Minecraft and never go to the End or the Nether, I can.

Why is 7DTD different?

Vomkat,

Why does it bother you if people do this? Would it personally affect you if I were to dig and trade concrete for a rocket launcher on my game?

Why do you assume they are pretending to have fun? Maybe they actually are?

Then you just end with "git gud" which is a prime example of the non intellectual toxicity this forum displays on a daily basis.

'Sandbox' is a word in the game description posted by Gazz of Fun Pimps Staff above. This means you have the freedom to play how you want. Much like Minecraft, GTA, Just Cause etc etc...

If I want to drive around obeying traffic laws on GTA, I can.

If I want to farm on Minecraft and never go to the End or the Nether, I can.

Why is 7DTD different?

No it does not. The game has sandbox elements (voxel) but is not a pure sandbox game. That much is obvious. Gazz's description is a mix of genres. A mix of genres is when those genres work together as different elements in a game.

For that reason, no, players shouldn't be trading, say, a block of concrete for a rocket and the economy MM is working on atm, for example, must make sense. Don't ignore the rest of the genres this game contains.

Archived