Even with perks, I think mining is too slow, inefficient, and gives too little xp.

jdifran

I realize that mining speed is melee speed, so there may be some balancing issues, but right now digging dirt or gravel and mining boulders or veins of ore is ... just ... painfully ... slow ... and ... boring. Maybe the benefits of "Flurry of Blows" needs to be jacked way up. Maybe the natural swing speed of picks, shovels, and axes needs to be increased but the damage to entities (zombies) needs to be reduced to balance it.

All I know is that even at level 5 with many of the mining perks, it's just painfully slow and unsatisfying.

I also think zombie xp needs to come way down and xp for other non-combat activities needs to go up. I should be able to (more or less) spend all day mining/harvesting and earn somewhat close to the same xp as if I ran around fighting zombies and looting POIs. Since POIs give both great loot and great xp, doing anything else just seems counterproductive. If the Pimps want us to be building and defending bases, they shouldn't make harvesting the materials to do so such a punishment.

I hope this continues to get some balancing attention in the next few experimental builds.

Chopping trees and destroying boulders isn't such a non-profit activity though. I once spent an entire day gathering wood and iron for the forge and got almost 2 levels (around day 11 i think). Surely i would get 2-3x more xp from zombies, but still it's not like 5-30 xp per some other activities.

I also think zombie xp needs to come way down and xp for other non-combat activities needs to go up. I should be able to (more or less) spend all day mining/harvesting and earn somewhat close to the same xp as if I ran around fighting zombies and looting POIs. Since POIs give both great loot and great xp, doing anything else just seems counterproductive. If the Pimps want us to be building and defending bases, they shouldn't make harvesting the materials to do so such a punishment.

I hope this continues to get some balancing attention in the next few experimental builds.

+1 This, a thousand times this.

It is still being balanced.

And? Not sure why some people need to post this in any thread talking about balancing. Can quote the part of the OP that said that he was assuming this was a final cut and no more balancing was being done?

And? Not sure why some people need to post this in any thread talking about balancing. Can quote the part of the OP that said that he was assuming this was a final cut and no more balancing was being done?

Saying "I hope" implies that he doesn't know.

Also, since you didn't ask....

No, it's not. If you want to level up at least 1lv per day, especially in early game, you only can do that properly by killing zeds. Harvesting end other activities give you little XP (not enough to gain 1level/day), but the easiest zed gives 700 XP per kill, so if you want to construct better things and obtain best gear you have to focus on killing first till you have enough level to made quality level goods.

That’s an inversion of logic! In the beginning we are weak, so killing zombies should not be the first/best option to level up.

Like I've said before. This is not done. We are still playing and doing a lot of balancing. Zombie xp is coming down and other xp up. I think.

Straight from the horse's mouth. So to speak. Posted one hour before this thread was started.

It is still being balanced.

Not taking any chances.

This is getting modded 100%.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

It's not that players want MORE when they mine, it's that they want the perception of doing something.

Candy Crush isn't successful because it's such an amazing game, it's that way because it plays on the brains tendency to give micro Dopamine bursts when something stimulates it.

Now we have SLOOOOOOOOOOOWER mining and less happens. You hit the same rock many times to get one little rush of "Hey I broke that".

See that's why players want one-hit mining. It's that little rush they are looking for. The feeling that they're doing something.

Slower mining is a step backwards in game play. Just like when they took the bonus away from trees in A16. That was a mistake. [Glad to see they put that back in, btw.]

I think mining has gotten worse.

It's just a little less fun now.

I get that there's balancing with the new system but it's costing a lot.

I really hope someone at TFP gives this some serious thought.

Maybe they aught to go play Candy Crush for an hour [with their credit card hidden away first] and maybe they'll understand.

I don’t know it exactly but “one-hit-stone-mining” could be coming back with full perk and modded steel pickaxe.

If not I’m going to change some numbers in .xml to get “one-hit-stone” working.

My mate on the server we’re playing need that ♥♥♥♥ :-)

I’m not a miner.

He meant tool attachment mods not xml edit modding. Right now there are not enough tool attachment mods to fill up the slots of a purple tool. If they change the balance to let you peak at mining without taking those future attachments into consideration then they won't be necessary. One-shotting stone blocks should be the pinnacle of bad-assery with combined perks and a fully upgraded steel pickaxe. You can't yet upgrade the pickaxe fully so the progression is incomplete.

Archived