Best and Worst of alpha 17?

chinothepony

In a few lines can you say your best and worst aspect of A17? Treat it like Twitter!

Best: The power attack. So incredibly combo-licious. I've done some many diff combos. Sometimes on the stairs I'll just hit them in the knees and then finish their face off with a power attack, watch them slide to the bottom.

Worst: Level gated attributes. This prevents players from a lot of individuality and hurts the replay.

Best: New combat, quests, books and clothing that give boosts, much more progressive skills(the RNG of finding books for progression was a less likeable feature), love the big new content like gun attachment and vehicles but never got the chance to test it.

Worst: Dying A LOT: feral sleepers, wolves and dog horde spawns should be linked to game-stage(which it isn't). First death was to a horde that spawned at dusk and tracked me down possibly through my noise or campfire. Second death was to 3 ferals in a basement. Third was an infection from a vulture causing extremely bad max stamina, got mauled by a passing wolf.(not a lucky man today)

RANT WARNING

Biggest issue is with soldier ferals: One spawned on the top floor in a barn as I was doing a quest to retrieve something: a dog horde also spawned, which I could shoot arrows at with the soldier which fell to the bottom floor since there was a narrow beam it had to walk across. I managed to dispatch the dogs and a few passing zeds but the soldier just wouldn't die. I got impatient and tried to spike him but his "smart zombie AI avoided the spikes and I ran out of stamina(by extension, out of life) trying to play ring-around-the-spikepit. This kind of enemy should have ZERO chance of being encountered before Day 14, let alone on Day 5.

Did some testing: they can take, separately or combined, more than 120 bullets, more than 80 arrows, tons of shotgun shells and slugs. 2 minutes or so of sledgehammer whacking and not go down. It appears to be protected HEAVILY by its military armour which protects it from physical damage but: it can go down in 2 explosive bolts, 3 to 4 pipe bombs and, VERY surprisingly, less than a minute of getting whacked by a TORCH.

Did some testing: they can take, separately or combined, more than 120 bullets, more than 80 arrows, tons of shotgun shells and slugs. 2 minutes or so of sledgehammer whacking and not go down. It appears to be protected HEAVILY by its military armour which protects it from physical damage but: it can go down in 2 explosive bolts, 3 to 4 pipe bombs and, VERY surprisingly, less than a minute of getting whacked by a TORCH.

A torch? Seriously?

That's good to know.

Best : The new POI designs and the new potential custom POIs have.

The new AI is amazing and combat has a new feel to it like never before in this game.

Worst : The performance issues some are having, doesn't feel very smooth even once you attain FPS.

The in-your-face level gating for crafting, which on one hand provides value to looting tools\weapons, on the other hand

many things about it make no sense. Forge at lvl 20. Bicycle at lvl 30. On top of the only decent way to gain XP

being killing zombies. Why should I have to combat 300+ zombies before I'm able to craft a forge? Shouldn't the challenge be in gathering the materials to craft said items?

Overall : Crackerjack job, good fellows!

Best: Graphics, Excellent POI's, AI, ability to reclaim arrows.

Worst: Does not scale # of zombies when playing solo, very unbalanced, way too many zombies in each POI, encountering 20+ zombies per POI is excessive and I don't need a FPS game, I want 7DTD and how it balanced better for both single players and multiplayers prior to a17.

Worst:

The Perk System as an overall

Max Health and Staminal drop for no reason.

Schematics that are consumed on use.

EVERY POI is a dungeon with tons of Creatures (not Zombies anymore).

No reason to Fight the Creatures because there is no loot.

The creatures sense you a long way off and can dig to get to you.

New graphics don't load correctly.

No FOV slider anymore.

Game randomly stutters and lags like ARK: Survival Evolved.

No safe place to build (that I have found).

More frustrating than A16 without being any harder.

Best:

Let you know when I find something.

Worst: Does not scale # of zombies when playing solo, very unbalanced, way too many zombies in each POI, encountering 20+ zombies per POI is excessive and I don't need a FPS game, I want 7DTD and how it balanced better for both single players and multiplayers prior to a17.

It oddly makes the game too easy! But the quest POI's are designed for MP, so as a SP, avoid them until you are much stronger.

Low level zombies are free experience once you get the melee range down. Max, three hits from a wood club melee spec'ed starter character.

Worst: The same people who complained that A16 was too easy now complaining A17 is too hard,

ties with RWG maps that are all the same and all crummy. Both suck equally!

A17 is to hard?? lmao it's the worlds biggest time sink. nothing hard about it. what's hard about walking slowly for 40 mins to the nearest town? nothing.

here is a better question. what's fun about slowly walking to the nearest town for 40 mins?

A17 is to hard?? lmao it's the worlds biggest time sink. nothing hard about it. what's hard about walking slowly for 40 mins to the nearest town? nothing.

here is a better question. what's fun about slowly walking to the nearest town for 40 mins?

Walking speed is faster than in A16, for your information :)

Best: better graphic; optimization

Worst: STUPID DELAY EVERYWHERE. Every single action takes so much longer not to mention today change that decreased speed of using fists and tools

+ also death penalty, "no stamina" and you must eat all the time also suck.

+ Much more survival challenge instead of owning any town in your first week.

+ Much stronger zombies wrecking, saw a wandering horde of bikers and strippers destroying a building I was just in.

+ Fear is back, having to calculate the risk of every engagement and every poi.

- respawning sleepers

- miss A16 gaining levels using an item or weapon. Locked perks is ok but A16 we had both and felt more progressive.

Edit

+ how could i forget weapon mods

I'd like to see your play through on insane always run.

Best (so far):

modlets are awesome!

power attacks

no more rng to make items (but see also cons)

no more spinning dogs of death (Not so far anyway)

no more zombie loot pinatas

Recoverable arrows and zombie pincushions

slightly more sane weather and wellness system (still needs tweaking)

Cons:

performance around structures

ridiculous level gating (you must be level 30 to ride a bike? What?)

constant eating and drinking (just needs some tweaks)

item durability is a touch too low (minor issue)

(...)

Worst: STUPID DELAY EVERYWHERE. Every single action takes so much longer not to mention today change that decreased speed of using fists and tools

(...).

This. So. Much. Waiting for the next build. REALLY hoping it's just a mistake and gets reverted.

Also hoping they add more speed to upgrading blocks. Put it all in the same perk. Make a new perk specifically for it. I don't care, but give that option to speed building up over time somehow, PLEASE. Which brings me to my "worst":

Building isn't fun anymore. It's sluggish and painful. Even with a nail gun.

Best: New random gen towns layouts. Combined with the various new POI, towns really have character now.

Sure hope they won't ship A17 stable with the sometimes broken POI placement... It's in the "known issues" list, which makes me fear that will happen, looking back at the way it was with the "known issues" list in A16...

Archived