Forge and Bike need to be much sooner

konrax

After a couple nights of playing I think the forge and the bike should be possible options much sooner in the game.

Using the stone axe constantly for all resource collection really drags out that part of the game which is the least fun thing to do in this game.

I think forge at level 5 and bike at 10 would help speed up early levels a bit while not giving people too much right away.

Otherwise I like a17 so far, has some rough edges but I like.

I think it would be better if they lowered the level requirement to build a forge. Level 20 seems a bit much. I would think level 10, or even level 15, would feel about right. Level 20 feels more "grindy" to me. Another thing I noticed...watching stuff get crafted to get XP? I thought they wanted to move away from that. Last I heard, the devs wanted to move away from spam-crafting, both in inventory and in workstations. With A17.exp, you can spam-craft stone axes or watch stuff being made in workstations to get XP again. What gives?

While it does seem very slow to begin, it's still possible to hit level 20 before the first horde and allow a small bit of time for farming and base building. As for how sluggish it seems getting around places, especially with quests added, I wouldn't mind a bike earlier on.

After a couple nights of playing I think the forge and the bike should be possible options much sooner in the game.

Using the stone axe constantly for all resource collection really drags out that part of the game which is the least fun thing to do in this game.

I think forge at level 5 and bike at 10 would help speed up early levels a bit while not giving people too much right away.

But doesn't it make loot-able tools that much more valuable?

And vendors important for anything more then most rare items?

Delaying tech actually makes for early game being more interesting instead of funneling yourself into a base camp asap and mining for next month.

Umm I often have iron or steel tools on day 1, I don't know what your doing wrong, check traders, and loot poi's I usually find at least some iron tools before day 2. p.s. u can repair iron/steel tools without knowing how to craft them, you just need forged iron/steel which you can find or buy off traders. Same for guns/anything that needs repair kits, you can repair them without being able to craft them. Its made like this on purpose. While its lv gated to make your own, if you happen to find it in the world, you can use it as if you crafted it yourself. That said I feel the iron pickaxe needs higher block dmg as a whole. Its power attack with 3 str, only does like 55 or so.

Honestly, my main few complaints are: the death penalty is too severe for how easy it is to die, the progression as a whole is broken, with some perk lv 1 cooking recipies being superior to perk level 2 ones. Don't get me started on how weak the guns feel, there is bascally 0 reason to use the pistol over a wooden bow with stone arrows. Zombies hearing is just way to damn good. Lastly the encombrance system needs to be toned down at least the debuff you get, so its not as severe.

In my opinion the way the skill tree is organised is okay (can be worked on for sure). Considering how i am almost ready to build a forge (got all the materials, but not level 20), i finally started looking at other skills and possibilities than simply making a forge.

People tend to get back to that thinking "iron and steel tools and weapons will be so great". No they won't. You won't gain anything if you can't hit things or don't have increases in skills (at least for stamina regen). If you don't have the stamina to hit things or enhanced hitting on the head, the difference will be minimal. Surely damage difference can change things, but when you can easier knock down zombies or hit tougher in the head, even the simplest tools/weapons benefit from that.

Considering my options i invested in some skills that should benefit my fighting (especially for the 7 day horde and they are level 1 skills), as i am unable to invest in the forge or some others i thought of. Now i don't seem to struggle as in the beginning.

In my opinion the way the skill tree is organised is okay (can be worked on for sure). Considering how i am almost ready to build a forge (got all the materials, but not level 20), i finally started looking at other skills and possibilities than simply making a forge.

People tend to get back to that thinking "iron and steel tools and weapons will be so great". No they won't. You won't gain anything if you can't hit things or don't have increases in skills (at least for stamina regen). If you don't have the stamina to hit things or enhanced hitting on the head, the difference will be minimal. Surely damage difference can change things, but when you can easier knock down zombies or hit tougher in the head, even the simplest tools/weapons benefit from that.

Considering my options i invested in some skills that should benefit my fighting (especially for the 7 day horde and they are level 1 skills), as i am unable to invest in the forge or some others i thought of. Now i don't seem to struggle as in the beginning.

You generally wanna get your chosen weapon type (melee or ranged) head shot damage multiplier asap. Its the biggest source of damage in the game pretty much. I generally go melee first, the iron or steel fireaxe just wrecks zombies.

This was a game that used to have a lot of freedom in how you play. Now everything is gated. Meh. I do appreciate the forge beeing not available on day one tough. But not like that....

Nothing changed in regards to freedom.

What has changed however is, now you actually have to USE early game weaker materials instead of completely ignoring them and going straight for iron tools and concrete, which is great.

Stop with the "waaah, can't have everything unlocked by the day 2" approach, if you hate it so much, mod it yourself to remove all the improvements to gameplay pace.

I didn't ask for any tips, and saying I'm playing the game wrong is laughable.

I've been raiding building and have over 50 zombie kills and 0 deaths half way through day 2 with the hardest difficulty of zombies. I've been looting POI's and just hit level 7.

I really don't mind this stuff being gated, but having to play till level 20 before I can craft / repair a decent tool makes me just want to play another game as I've already had my fill of using stone arrows and caveman tools. I would like a bike to go see the trader 2km away from me. I was thinking of just running it but after a close call I had to jump off a roof to not get eaten by zombies and I am hobbling now thanks to a broken leg (which I splinted thanks I think I did it right).

I think about how my friends will react when they play this game with me and they find out they need to hit level 20 before they can do anything out of the stone age, and lvl 30 for a bike is just cringe worthy.

Bicycle should be locked for crafting behind 20 if there is a way to earn one from trader quests or find one randomly generated in the world for example in Diersville garages)

From my understanding the devs said there are no functionally generated bikes (or any other vehicles) available in random gen.

Yeah, currently the game is "out of breath simulator" for the first 10 hours. I don't need "everything" in the first few days, but I do need to have fun. Standing around waiting for stamina to recover isn't fun. Having to run/walk 2+ kilometers for every quest isn't fun.

Being held back and being challenged aren't the same thing. I don't have tons of time to play and feel like A17 punishes me for it.

Yeah, currently the game is "out of breath simulator" for the first 10 hours. I don't need "everything" in the first few days, but I do need to have fun. Standing around waiting for stamina to recover isn't fun. Having to run/walk 2+ kilometers for every quest isn't fun.

Being held back and being challenged aren't the same thing. I don't have tons of time to play and feel like A17 punishes me for it.

+1

+1

+1

Hope that was enough text

+1

+1

+1

Nothing changed in regards to freedom.

What has changed however is, now you actually have to USE early game weaker materials instead of completely ignoring them and going straight for iron tools and concrete, which is great.

Stop with the "waaah, can't have everything unlocked by the day 2" approach, if you hate it so much, mod it yourself to remove all the improvements to gameplay pace.

Not sure why people like you think others are crying when they voice a opinion, is it projection because in your life you are so emotional about things you get sad and cry when you say your opinions? Most people don't act like this and if you are seeing this as crying then might want to look in mirror and see what emotional problems you have that is causing you to see the world like this.

Someone on the server I play on found a working motorcycle while looting yesterday. Not sure what container it was in, or if it was just in the world. Admin didn't spawn it in. We're playing vanilla A17.exp, might be a bug.

Curious if this is true. Would be awesome and makes lvl gate acceptable.

Strange because I don't have the same experience - I rarely have to wait for my stamina to regen and recovering is a matter of a few seconds, since the regen is very fast - at level 1. Are you staying hydrated/well fed? And after getting the stamina perks, stamina feels kind of infinite.

Perhaps you had gotten used to never having to worry about stamina with the huge stamina pool of A16 and drinking water all the time? That's not how the game was supposed to be in the first place - the stamina bar was never meant to be mostly decorative.

Strange because I don't have the same experience - I rarely have to wait for my stamina to regen and recovering is a matter of a few seconds, since the regen is very fast - at level 1. Are you staying hydrated/well fed? And after getting the stamina perks, stamina feels kind of infinite.

Perhaps you had gotten used to never having to worry about stamina with the huge stamina pool of A16 and drinking water all the time? That's not how the game was supposed to be in the first place - the stamina bar was never meant to be mostly decorative.

Maybe you simply play different

When i look (very rarely) a You tube gameplay video i mostly get nervous when i see someone doing the same stuff i would need 20 minutes for in 5 Hours.

Archived