Short Questions - Short Answers

Halz

Hello,

I just have a few short questions:

1.) Is the Player level limited?

2.) Are the skill points capped or am I able to learn every skill in the game?

3.) If the skill points are limited: Is it possible to reskill my character?

4.) What's the best way to farm iron?

5.) Do damaged cars, birds nest, etc. respawn?

Thanks in advance,

Halz

1. level 200

2. after level 200 you don't earn skill point, but you can do quests to earn more and eventually max everything. ... Just takes A LOT of quests.

3. no

4. Beat small boulders with a mining tool. They're everywhere. Scrap every excess low level gun, gun part and other junk for scrap metal.

5. no

1. level 200

2. after level 200 you don't earn skill point, but you can do quests to earn more and eventually max everything. ... Just takes A LOT of quests.

3. no

4. Beat small boulders with a mining tool. They're everywhere. Scrap every excess low level gun, gun part and other junk for scrap metal.

5. no

Some of the answers don't apply for Alpha 17 which is around the corner...

(even though the other side of the corner is so distant that it feels like one would need a space ship to get there in a reasonable time).

5. That depends if you mean "destroyed nests/cars reappear" or does the loot inside them respawn. If you mean the second thing, then that depends on your game settings.

I do not destroy nests, but i do destroy cars if i loot them with the wrench. So empty nests and cars are getting refilled and destroyed ones arent replaced by new ones? So there is a limit of small motors and other special loots in the game, or?

I do not destroy nests, but i do destroy cars if i loot them with the wrench. So empty nests and cars are getting refilled and destroyed ones arent replaced by new ones? So there is a limit of small motors and other special loots in the game, or?

Technically everything you can get from car loot you can also acquire from other sources, including traders and Zs. So no. engines and special loots aren't finite. They will just become very rare over time when cars get scrapped excessively. On multiplayer servers you'll often have a rat race phase, where people explore far and wide to get every last car out there, but in SP it's really not a problem.

Some more short questions:

1.) What skills are overrated/useless and can be skipped?

2.) Blunt or Blade Weapon?

3.) Most useful firearm in terms of its resource cost and lethality?

Thanks!

1. I don't spend points on any skill that I can learn by doing, like Athletics, scavenging...

2. Use what you prefer. Blades seem to take less stamina and you can butcher with them.

3. Sniper is great. Use less ammo than the AK and has a scope. I also like the pistol and SMG because they are the quietest. If you're sneaking in a building, use those or bow/crossbow so you don't wake everything up.

Auto-related shops will usually have Car Parts crate. Sometimes you can find engines in a Tool crate or looting a car. Lumberjacks also have engines rarely. Biker zombies can drop most minibike parts. Tool crate and lumberjacks because you need engines for the auger and chainsaw.

As for the empty nests and cars, a setting when you start your game determines how long they take to respawn. Some people set that so it never respawns.

Thanks!

These are based on my personal opinions:

1) Armor crafting (decent armor can be bought from traders), treasure hunting, and any skill that you can acquire by doing

2) Blade weapons - You can kill and you can harvest. With the right skills, it can outperform Blunt weapons too

3) Sniper Rifle & SMG - The sniper rifle has a scope and packs a punch. Great for picking off cop zombies at a distance too. The SMG i personally like because its quiet (has a built in silencer), it does decent damage, large magazine size, can go full auto, and the cost of materials for its ammo is the cheapest basically.

These are based on my personal opinions:

1) Armor crafting (decent armor can be bought from traders), treasure hunting, and any skill that you can acquire by doing

2) Blade weapons - You can kill and you can harvest. With the right skills, it can outperform Blunt weapons too

3) Sniper Rifle & SMG - The sniper rifle has a scope and packs a punch. Great for picking off cop zombies at a distance too. The SMG i personally like because its quiet (has a built in silencer), it does decent damage, large magazine size, can go full auto, and the cost of materials for its ammo is the cheapest basically.

I agree with all of these above. For same reasons. SMG does have a lower headshot mult than pistol though (its x4 while pistol is x6). Hunting rifle and sniper have simmlar damage numbers, however what the game doesn't show you is its headshot multiplier in A16, which is x6 for the hunting rifle and x9! for the Sniper.

In A17 this changes, as the base headshot mult for all weapons is 1.5x (increasable further with perk) This also means that unless you spec in the ranged weapon headshot mult or the melee one, all weapons have the same headshot damage bonus so its more about which hits harder, or which ya like. The good thing? this makes almost anything viable as a weapon, wanna use that shovel or Pickaxe to kill zombies? go for it, apparently the shovel is actually a fairly decent weapon now in a17.

In A17 this changes, as the base headshot mult for all weapons is 1.5x (increasable further with perk) This also means that unless you spec in the ranged weapon headshot mult or the melee one, all weapons have the same headshot damage bonus so its more about which hits harder, or which ya like.

We don't know whether mods or even the weapons themselves have headshot multipliers as well.

You can only combine items to 100 quality beyond what you can craft so I don't skip any crafting skills. Personal preference, I like to see those nice 600's across the board.

Hello,

I just have a few short questions:

1.) Is the Player level limited?

2.) Are the skill points capped or am I able to learn every skill in the game?

3.) If the skill points are limited: Is it possible to reskill my character?

4.) What's the best way to farm iron?

5.) Do damaged cars, birds nest, etc. respawn?

Thanks in advance,

Halz

If you actually do not want long answers then please ignore <EG>

"Farm Iron" depends upon what type of iron your talking about. Because there's scrap iron (black iron), forged iron, raw iron... For Scrap iron there's tonnes of things where you can get it; rusted metal plates, scrap iron tables, etc. As for forged iron there are only a few ways to get it. Ammo boxes (Forged Iron, Forged Steel, mechanical parts) are one but you have to use a wrench and you have to weigh the possibility of getting future items from it... Generally I don't scrap/wrench on those. With Compo

Pack there are 'electrical station poi's' that have like rustic looking 8 'trees' made of blocks behind them. At the 'branches' that extend outwards is where you want to wrench but please note you can also get Forged Steel these too! In Vanilla you can also find these 'branches' at the rear of Pass & Gas stations and I seem to remember they're sometimes in junk yards (usually inside the building).

For black iron its everywhere. For Forged Iron its in very few places. Raw iron is in 'nodes' (hack at the small boulders), the ones in groups are 'better' in that there are bunched together and you spend much less time running around finding the 'single ones.' Too boot - you'll also get other resources. Or just dig for raw iron.

"damaged cars, birds nest" - depends again upon what you mean. If someone or an animal or a zed, etc. damage a car/birds nest then definitely no. For cars I believe there are like 4 stages of a car, and they can spawn into the world in any of these stages. A whole car, a minor damaged car, damaged car and a hulk (basically just a frame). But you can only loot 2 of these, the whole car and the 2nd stage which I call a minor damaged car. If you loot them and they do not get damaged, then the loot will respawn <G>

Thanks!

Generally for the skills - I agree with most everyone. But for me there are times when I"m only a few points in obtaining a skill I 'want'/'need' to get another skill - I'll spend those points to get that other skill. IE: Miner 69er... I'll spend some points on mining tools to get the next level of 69er!

Since I'm a "miner type" so I avoid most of what everyone else does until I get a tonne of skill points, and generally I play in a group of 9 of us... I prefer blade weapons myself so when I do go hunting it helps with getting meat lol Not to mention that the cycle time is much shorter. For me its the Bolt/Hunting rifle or sniper rifle AND a pistol. Mostly because I am a miner type so I'm not in the front lines. 9mm ammo is definitely the cheapest, but at some point you'll want to take a look at shotguns because they don't require brass. A few times we've virtually run out of brass! In single player I haven't found the brass limitation much of a concern yet. But if you start playing in a group or on a server with a bunch of people you definitely need to make that a consideration, unless you start running one of the mods such as War of the Walkers or Starvation (which I prefer) because they give other ways to obtain brass <EG>

You can only combine items to 100 quality beyond what you can craft so I don't skip any crafting skills. Personal preference, I like to see those nice 600's across the board.

Worth to note that if you find a high quality level item, you can always combine up to the exact quality of said item, no matter if the related crafting skill is at 1 or 10.

Example: Find a 546 military vest. After a while wearing it, it degraded. Find another one. Combine. Degradation is gone and quality is still 546. It's actually better than using military fiber where you'll lose some quality points on repair, only advantage of that way is that you don't need the workbench and can repair on the fly.

So if you lack in one of those skills you can just go the Fallout-y route and just repair your items with same type items.

As soon as I found that out, I rarely put more than 3 points into gun smith (for bullet crafting) and never any points into armor smith anymore as high tier/ high quality armor or guns will be found eventually *cough*traders*cough* and yeah - except for a nice looking number the 600er item won't noticeably outperform the 546er. As you say – Personal preference at that point.

But the guy seems to be asking questions that all revolve around efficient builds and metagaming the crap out of it, so there's the info:

Don't waste points in armor smith.

So much for "short answers" hehe

We don't know whether mods or even the weapons themselves have headshot multipliers as well.

They don't, base headshot mult is 1.5x like I said, a 50% dmg bonus, regardless of weapon type, its a global thing. However, their might be mods for weapons that up's stuff like headshot damage. Lets just say I seen Madmole playing some a17 on a halloween party stream, and he was kicking some serious ass with a fireaxe.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I'd consider gun smithing/armor smith a dump skill, when I have nothing else to put points in i'll eventually max them, but until like endgame they stay at 0 as they are pretty useless. Can find/buy better guns/armor than you can craft for most of the game.

Worth to note that if you find a high quality level item, you can always combine up to the exact quality of said item, no matter if the related crafting skill is at 1 or 10.

Example: Find a 546 military vest. After a while wearing it, it degraded. Find another one. Combine. Degradation is gone and quality is still 546. It's actually better than using military fiber where you'll lose some quality points on repair, only advantage of that way is that you don't need the workbench and can repair on the fly.

So if you lack in one of those skills you can just go the Fallout-y route and just repair your items with same type items.

As soon as I found that out, I rarely put more than 3 points into gun smith (for bullet crafting) and never any points into armor smith anymore as high tier/ high quality armor or guns will be found eventually *cough*traders*cough* and yeah - except for a nice looking number the 600er item won't noticeably outperform the 546er. As you say – Personal preference at that point.

But the guy seems to be asking questions that all revolve around efficient builds and metagaming the crap out of it, so there's the info:

Don't waste points in armor smith.

So much for "short answers" hehe

Yeah, I generally only repair with duplicate items in the workbench as to not lose quality on my items. Not always cheap on mats though like if your repairing ql 600 Iron armor with ql 25 iron armor your able to craft (it directly transfers the lower quality items durability) so you'd prob need 2-3 of the 25's for a 100% repair. I am hoping that in A17, they did away with the quality loss on repair, since its now tiers and tier determines how many mods on it, it'd suck for its tier to drop and a mod pops out.

Hey, thanks to all for the answers!

Some more new short questions:

1.) What attracts Zombies?

(I have almost the whole time screamers near my base. I am at Day 21, running my base with 2 forges, 1 camp fire, 1 workbench, a cement mixer and a lot of candles for the light)

2.) Whats better for defence: Wood spikes or Wood log spikes (upgraded)?

Thanks!

Archived