so A17 Maps can be huge again?

bloom_meister

Short answer? Yes.

You'll have to edit a variable in the xml to do it as far as I know.

But why tho? why not just add these things in the GUI? otherwise people hosting servers may not even realize you can now host bigger worlds.

Just add a "world limit: 10km" number that you can change and add some disclaimer like "the bigger the more resources it takes" whatever.

Let's say one has a lot of money and wants to host a massive world, but he fails to realize he is able to do it, then the rest of the players will not enjoy what could have been an epic PVP server. Just make it all clear on the GUI for server hosters.

But why tho? why not just add these things in the GUI? otherwise people hosting servers may not even realize you can now host bigger worlds.

Just add a "world limit: 10km" number that you can change and add some disclaimer like "the bigger the more resources it takes" whatever.

Let's say one has a lot of money and wants to host a massive world, but he fails to realize he is able to do it, then the rest of the players will not enjoy what could have been an epic PVP server. Just make it all clear on the GUI for server hosters.

Follow this: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?86081-A17-How-Long-Would-You-Wait-For-A-Pre-Generated-Map-to-Build&p=834360&viewfull=1#post834360

It sounds like it'll be a option in the settings not a xml edit you'll need to do.

Follow this: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?86081-A17-How-Long-Would-You-Wait-For-A-Pre-Generated-Map-to-Build&p=834360&viewfull=1#post834360

It sounds like it'll be a option in the settings not a xml edit you'll need to do.

Well spotted, a pity though.

I was going to see how far I could push it by incrementing the map size until it breaks. I'd have been prepared to leave a computer churning away for a week to generate a map.

I was going to see how far I could push it by incrementing the map size until it breaks. I'd have been prepared to leave a computer churning away for a week to generate a map.

Yeah, we still may have more things on the xml side to push it more though to override :indecisiveness::D

ok...

Thanks all for response, I read the linked thread but admit to not being totally clear as to whether a server admin (or solo player) can adjust the map to be as big as they wanted. For example lets say I have this supercomputer sat in the corner and fancy a 50kx50k world, can i do it?

Thanks in advance

So I tried it out last night. Took about 10 minutes to generate an 8k x 8k map. It is really simple to do. You just go to the map generator and now it creates the world instead of just a map preview. It was a little buggy. Once the map was generated I couldn't exit and had to close the game. But then I logged back on and my new world was listed next to Navezgane as an optional world to play in. Can't remember the random county name it was given. Kinyajuu has mentioned he is still doing final touches. I started a new game in that new world and it loaded up as fast as Navezgane does. Very nice. Now that it is created I can keep creating new saves in that world and it will load up quickly each time.

So I tried it out last night. Took about 10 minutes to generate an 8k x 8k map. It is really simple to do. You just go to the map generator and now it creates the world instead of just a map preview. It was a little buggy. Once the map was generated I couldn't exit and had to close the game. But then I logged back on and my new world was listed next to Navezgane as an optional world to play in. Can't remember the random county name it was given. Kinyajuu has mentioned he is still doing final touches. I started a new game in that new world and it loaded up as fast as Navezgane does. Very nice. Now that it is created I can keep creating new saves in that world and it will load up quickly each time.

My god. Quantum leap.

I still don't get it.

Say that you now host a server with this 8k x 8k map.

Do people need to wait 10 minutes too (or whatever it would take with their hardware) or they will join it with a tolerable load time as usual?

I still don't get it.

Say that you now host a server with this 8k x 8k map.

Do people need to wait 10 minutes too (or whatever it would take with their hardware) or they will join it with a tolerable load time as usual?

That's for the initial map load on the host client. After the map is generated it's instant. Anyone joining would be instant, just like it is now.

If you want to know how it exactly is then start a Navezgane map on your server and when people join ask them how long it took. It will be just like that. Once you cook the world in the map generator and it’s done, it behaves like an alternate Navezgane—but larger and unknown until you explore it.

ok...

Sorry Roland that still does not answer my question.

Will we be able to select a custom world size as well as those fixed world size options (for example 8x8) so that i could, if i wanted to, enter 50x50 or whatever I want in that size box/dropdown?

That's for the initial map load on the host client. After the map is generated it's instant. Anyone joining would be instant, just like it is now.

Will this sounds fantastic.

Someone with a powerful computer could generate an huge map. Now they just need to optimize the amount of players that can be at the same time in a server without lag etc, then we can have some proper at-scale post-apocaliptic PVP+PVE cluster♥♥♥♥.

I love the idea of traveling super far, spending like months without being seen by no players, then when you and your friends got a massive base with many resources you start exploring the map looking for problems.

The thrill of hiding from zombies+players that may have played for months and are super dangerous is what gives me that nice feel of uncertainty. Just fearing that there isn't a Negan-like mother♥♥♥♥er in the server that has played for a long time and goes arround terrorizing people in a truck.

Kinyajuu said they plan to have a drop down menu that will have different selectable sizes. That is not yet implemented so right now it is just 8k x 8k. Kinyajuu said it should be possible to go into the xmls and choose your own size. I haven't looked in the xmls to see if that seems easy enough for me to understand or if it will be difficult. When I checked them last week it was still the legacy 10k radius value.

But why force people to go to damn notepad to open an xml file? just let us do it through the GUI. Add presets, then add a "custom" option in the dropdown menu then you enter any values. Give a disclaimer that if the values are too big it will take a lot of time etc.

Archived