Hmm guess it’s hurry up and wait for Alpha 17

crazy8s

I'm pretty sure no-one (TFP included) would count this Alphas development time as a positive or hope for it to be repeated, but I just think people should keep it in context of the totality of this games development progress. Sooner or later, one of the Alphas (at least) was bound to get held up in a major way for one reason or another.

True. But is A17 being held up at the moment due to something major? There's nothing which tells us this. Seems to me they are still adding minor stuff, and slowly starting to work on bug-fixing. Seems to me development is just taking extraordinary long.

True. But is A17 being held up at the moment due to something major? There's nothing which tells us this. Seems to me they are still adding minor stuff, and slowly starting to work on bug-fixing. Seems to me development is just taking extraordinary long.

You mean apart from the near total overhaul required by updating the game to the latest version of Unity?

You mean apart from the near total overhaul required by updating the game to the latest version of Unity?

Sure, that's causing a long development time. Pretty obvious of course. But is it causing a delay in the development? Since that was what you mentioned.

Go with this. They are making the game that they want (at the pace that they think is best), even as it is one which they believe that customers will enjoy. If they succumbed to customer input and wishes all of the time, then the game would be a mess and take even longer to put out.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you (and others like you) are not the center of their universe. Put a sock in your ignorant pie-hole, and get back to waiting in silence.

Got sources for this? because every other alpha game that updated constantly and used player input to make changes, is now finished and released as a full game. Ark, subnautica, the list goes on. [snip By OzHawkeye - keep the personal attacks out of it]

him and people like him, are the people who purchased this game in good faith it would be completed in a timely matter, there is zero warning that "devs may lolly gag at will, with zero communication" when you buy the game. Any reasonable person would expect a finished game in a normal time frame.

You litearlly act as if we were handed the game, instead of duped into a purchase with a promise of completion.

*and to note, most developers have no problem telling us WHY there are delays, because they have valid excuses. The only time you get shut mouth or "it's done when it's done" is when there is none. If our purchases were stock, the game would have been finished years ago.

I'm pretty sure no-one (TFP included) would count this Alphas development time as a positive or hope for it to be repeated, but I just think people should keep it in context of the totality of this games development progress. Sooner or later, one of the Alphas (at least) was bound to get held up in a major way for one reason or another.

To be correct, for the last almost what, 5 years, each alpha HAS been majorly delayed, it just keeps getting longer every time.

where is this "development time rule" that states "The Fun Pimps have to follow a set time to develop their game".

hint... it's not the wiki. :)

oh... explain this theory to Square Soft who took 10 yrs to fully develop FF XV and quite a few other large teams.

i am not looking to piss people off but i am sure some will be and attack me anyways, it always happens sorry.

where is this "development time rule" that states "The Fun Pimps have to follow a set time to develop their game".

oh... explain this theory to Square Soft who took 10 yrs to fully develop FF XV and quite a few other large teams.

None of these dev teams had paying customers waiting 10 years for the game, that's where the difference is. This is also a company with public stock, so they are held responsible by investors, ff xv, was a blockbuster game bringing im TONS of money for square, paying off. they weren't paid to do the project before it was finished. even 5 more years with this one, it won't even come close.

You don't need a wiki or a set rule book for consumer satisfactoin. we're customers, plain and clear. the only "development time rule" the fun pimps will see, is very little support for the next game they decide to drag out. Teh consumer makes the rules, not a wiki, not the dev. I love this game, but there is nothing wrong with being critical of the slow dev, or lack of communication to it's customer base.

show me where it says on the store page "warning, dev may do whatever they like, and never actually deliver on promises or even tell you whats going on" so it's reasonable people pick up this game with the expectation dev will move along with a reasonable pace (like every other complete, or almost complete alpha game that came out afer 7 days)

Imagine if talented businessmen like elon musk acted like this? his company would litearlly collapse overnight for saying "it's done when its done" and indeed, his customers paid for a product not finished yet as well.

Got sources for this?

Sources for...? The fact that "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth"? The fact that, in reading through the wildly divergent demands on this website, if TFP gave into all of them the game obviously would be a mess and take longer to put out? These things are simple logic.

[snip By OzHawkeye: edited out a quote of a comment I had to edit out]

You and the rest of us on here are not contractors nor are we a studio nor are we shareholders. This was exactly my point. That's maybe what you fail to understand. You paid for a game that you already have.

him and people like him, are the people who purchased this game in good faith it would be completed in a timely matter, there is zero warning that "devs may lolly gag at will, with zero communication" when you buy the game. Any reasonable person would expect a finished game in a normal time frame.

Hahahaha. You know that they are "lollygagging"? Got sources for that?

show me where it says on the store page "warning, dev may do whatever they like, and never actually deliver on promises or even tell you whats going on" so it's reasonable people pick up this game with the expectation dev will move along with a reasonable pace (like every other complete, or almost complete alpha game that came out afer 7 days)

Show me where it says on the store page "By buying this game you have the right to demand that the devs kowtow to your pissing, meeting your development timelines, implementing the features that you demand, and reporting to you at regular intervals because you are their boss."

Imagine if talented businessmen like elon musk acted like this? his company would litearlly collapse overnight for saying "it's done when its done" and indeed, his customers paid for a product not finished yet as well.

Surely you were using this example with full knowledge of what's going on with Tesla right now. They are far behind on Model 3 production, people have already paid for them, and his company has not collapsed overnight. Furthermore, he has suggested that he should take his company private because shareholders badgering for timelines is hurting the quality of the products that he wants to make. Pretty much the exact opposite of your points.

To be correct, for the last almost what, 5 years, each alpha HAS been majorly delayed, it just keeps getting longer every time.

And by some of the moaning and whining that goes on (especially on the Steam forums), you'd think that TFP had done it practically deliberately and that there was a real danger of the studio folding the very next day.

Have TFP missed some previously stated timelines for Alpha releases? Sure, that's a matter of fact and record. But against that is the massive improvements being made to each and every release of the game, and that absolute baselessness of any reasonable concerns about the game being finished.

All that's happened, literally all, is that it's taking longer than anyone would like.

Got sources for this? because every other alpha game that updated constantly and used player input to make changes, is now finished and released as a full game. Ark, subnautica, the list goes on.

This statement is just so full of wrong. From just MY OWN library:

Banished - never finished.

Castle Story - still in Alpha.

Empyrion - still in Alpha.

Factorio - still in Alpha.

The Forest - still in Alpha.

Fortresscraft Evolved - major development lag nearly sank the game at one point.

Medieval Engineers - still in Alpha.

Space Engineers - slapped a "it's Beta now" sticker on it, but without major content driving it beyond a pure sandbox experience.

Novus Inceptio - still in Alpha.

Rising World - still in Alpha and with a development speed that's glacial by comparison.

StarOne - at near standstill.

Stonehearth - another "it's 1.0!" sticker slapped on a clearly unfinished game.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, that's causing a long development time. Pretty obvious of course. But is it causing a delay in the development? Since that was what you mentioned.

Well, it is, insofar as it's forced TFP to go back and re-do a lot of what had already previously been done, which detracts from the time available to do new things.

Banished - never finished.

Castle Story - still in Alpha.

Factorio - still in Alpha.

The Forest - still in Alpha.

Fortresscraft Evolved - major development lag nearly sank the game at one point.

Medieval Engineers - still in Alpha.

Space Engineers - slapped a "it's Beta now" sticker on it, but without major content driving it beyond a pure sandbox experience.

Novus Inceptio - still in Alpha.

Rising World - still in Alpha and with a development speed that's glacial by comparison.

StarOne - at near standstill.

Stonehearth - another "it's Beta!" sticker slapped on a clearly unfinished game.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it is, insofar as it's forced TFP to go back and re-do a lot of what had already previously been done, which detracts from the time available to do new things.

Ah didn't know that they had to re-do a lot things. Sounds like my typical work-project :p

Ah, and as far as I know, The Forest has left the Alpha-stage. Subnautica, and Rimworld have left Alpha recently as well. Doesn't invalidate your list, of course.

Ah didn't know that they had to re-do a lot things. Sounds like my typical work-project :p

Ah, and as far as I know, The Forest has left the Alpha-stage. Subnautica, and Rimworld have left Alpha recently as well. Doesn't invalidate your list, of course.

Fair call, it did actually reach 1.0 in April.

I'd also like to make clear, if it weren't, many of the games I listed I really do enjoy, and the list was only of those in my "Favourites" category (since left for dead games like Timber and Stone aren't on the list). Even Space Engineers, which to me has the biggest "failure to meet potential" is still a game I load up every now and then.

I was just refuting skippy's "every other Alpha game" has left Alpha fantasy.

I see so many people in several locations like Skippy that buy EA games and then expect things their way and on their time. What they all seem to forget is the statement on the very page the game they order the game from...

This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more

This game has been very playable and mods abound. I have no problem waiting on the update. With 300 + games in my inventory if I get bored I’ll play something else but in all honesty this by far is the best EA title I’ve purchased to date. I really am tired of the crying and whining as if something is owed to these people. It’s not just this title for sure but it’s gotten ridiculous.

Fair call, it did actually reach 1.0 in April.

I'd also like to make clear, if it weren't, many of the games I listed I really do enjoy, and the list was only of those in my "Favourites" category (since left for dead games like Timber and Stone aren't on the list). Even Space Engineers, which to me has the biggest "failure to meet potential" is still a game I load up every now and then.

I was just refuting skippy's "every other Alpha game" has left Alpha fantasy.

Hehe yeah absolutely. I do own many Alpha games myself as well, and it's good to see many of them have active and involved developers. I haven't placed Space Engineers in a while though. Once I build this massive ship, which then completely bugged out on me. Bit of a rage-quit there.

Rising World also has a lot of potential IMHO. It's indeed updating at a snails pace (I've heard it only has a single guy working on it).

Oh, and here, just because no one reads the Steam EA FAQ....

What is the game like to play right now?

When you buy an Early Access game, you should consider what the game is like to play right now. Look at the screenshots and videos to see what the game looks like in its current state. There are a lot of ways a game can go as it develops over time, so if you aren't excited to play the game in its current state, then hold off and wait until the next update--it shouldn't be far off.

Also...

When will these games release?

Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state.

This is all part of the big FAQ that Steam practically forces you to read before purchasing the game.

i am not looking to piss people off but i am sure some will be and attack me anyways, it always happens sorry.

I think you'll find that FFXV is rather different in size and scope than 7DTD....

nothing wrong with Constructive Criticism. :)

Everyone needs to remember this then when someone calls the company out on not delivering when it was posted late July or early August (Granted it's still early August at the time of this post) Whatever happen to more updates during the year? It's been over a year since 16 came out.

Empyrion is one of the few rare titles that have been exceptional with their timetables and the amount of features they bring in each update.

Empyrion is one of the few rare titles that have been exceptional with their timetables and the amount of features they bring in each update.

not to go off topic, but what do you see in empyrion? i bought it because i was specifically because i was bored waiting for 7days (3 months ago) and i wanted to play a survival crafting game. i had zero fun. do not understand what people see in that game.

oh but to keep things on topic. um...kenshi released the same year as 7days and is quickly approaching 1.0 (likely before the stable alpha 17 is patched up).

so all of your arguments are invalid. because apples ARE oranges and the comparison is 100% proof that i am right and you are wrong.

also i love how people use the initial ea release date vs the release of a previous installment in a series as the date at which development started when comparing ea game development time to a major publisher development time. because no. that isn't when development started.

not to go off topic, but what do you see in empyrion? i bought it because i was specifically because i was bored waiting for 7days (3 months ago) and i wanted to play a survival crafting game. i had zero fun. do not understand what people see in that game.

oh but to keep things on topic. um...kenshi released the same year as 7days and is quickly approaching 1.0 (likely before the stable alpha 17 is patched up).

so all of your arguments are invalid. because apples ARE oranges and the comparison is 100% proof that i am right and you are wrong.

also i love how people use the initial ea release date vs the release of a previous installment in a series as the date at which development started when comparing ea game development time to a major publisher development time. because no. that isn't when development started.

The novelty of sci-fi is one for sure. There aren't many sci-fi survival games, especially if you want multiplayer. You also get to build vehicles and use them in combat. I think as far as sandbox goes Empyrion is good but the survival aspect is nearly non existent mainly because of vehicles. They are kind game breaking balance wise right now. Finding food and resources is a non issue when you can fly everywhere. Nothing the enemy has to offer can destroy them unless you're completely careless or just really bad at the game.

Yeah, big companies ♥♥♥♥ the bed sometimes like with FF14, 15, or even duke nukem forever. Doesn't excuse anything.

That said, when people start to think Microsoft comes out with operating systems more often than your mile-marker alpha updates, there's a development problem.

Archived