Intrestin'...

Morloc

While it is interesting, the title is a bit misleading. The leak didn't directly provide the number of players. It only made it easier for the number of players to be abstracted from achievement percentages.

Again, still interesting.

What I'd like to know is, why doesn't Steam just make those numbers publicly available anyway?

It's probably along the same lines as why they started to hide the server player counts when I played Everquest years ago. It had something to do with competitors being able to target their customer base and actively determine if moves they made were working. If your player base starts to shrink, there's also a bit of a snowball effect when people see the dwindling population each day.

-Morloc

That might be true in concurrent player counts, but that's not what these numbers are. These are if a steam account has at least opened the game. It's cumulative.

I would also be curious about total hours a game has accrued across all people who have played it, and an average.

That might be true in concurrent player counts, but that's not what these numbers are. These are if a steam account has at least opened the game. It's cumulative.

I would also be curious about total hours a game has accrued across all people who have played it, and an average.

Something else to consider....

The way this data is tracked, it's very likely counting not just purchased copies, but people playing using the family share option.

And I'd guess it's also not considering refunds.

That is very likely.

And probably not tracking people who played/purchased before this tracking achivement was recording data for 7 Days, and haven't played since.

Also, that's #75 on the list out of a total on 1,000 games.

Archived