Game Stages and Irradiated Cops in POIs

Mainsil

I’ve been playing A16.4 on Nomad with 2 hour days and have gotten to day 40 with no deaths so far, so my game stage is probably pretty high. Horde nights are challenging and fun, but exploring has now become a chore due to the prevalence of Irradiated Cops. They are ammo sponges, messy, and sometimes repeatedly res-pawn after killing in some POIs. This would be tolerable as an occasional nasty surprise, but they now seem to show up more often than not.

Is there a way to configure the game so that horde night calculations are unchanged but POIs don’t generate so many irradiated cops? Alternatively what is an efficient way to kill Irradiated Cops in POIs? I’ve taken to clubbing them and just run when they begin to tick. It’s messy but saves on ammo and is reasonably safe as long as there are no other Zs with them (and I have beer). I’ve tried head-shots, but rarely get more than 1 as they start running around like crazy after first hit and I just waste ammo (yes, my aim sucks).

To be clear, I like the idea of an occasional irradiated cop being in a POI, I just don't want it to be a constant issue.

Yeah, they need to be made a bit easier to kill, or limited in numbers, much like the bears+dogs packs.

I recently lost a game to a basement full of irradiated cops.

It was a good game up to level 100, then there just seemed to be countless cops.

I entered a basement, there were 2 cops still seperated from me by a wall and door, yet suddenly somehow I was suddenly surrounded by cops (I'd cleared the rest of the house, so they either spawned en mass around me, or clipped through from somewhere else (this was a basement with the weird large brown object sticking through the wall and half way into the room, which I assume is a bug).

I died. I was unable to move for all the cops around me.

Despite being on Dead Is Dead, I decided to send my re-spawned player back there to check it out. Again, the house was clear apart from 2 sleeping cops, still confined to a sealed room (visible through a single broken block). I went for the backpack, and boom. Once again I'm instantly surrounded by cops. And dead again.

I'm hoping the spawning is corrected in A17, and not the same routine carried through from A16.

I've had practically zero experience of spawn issues prior to this exmple.

As for killing them, I usually sledge them if I'm on the ground (can get them before they pop usually), or use exploding crossbow bolts to get rid of them during horde nights.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and learn to melee with a sledge. Played with it a few times but kept screwing up the timing. Exploding crossbow bolts are nice, but nearly as messy as an exploding cop.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and learn to melee with a sledge. Played with it a few times but kept screwing up the timing. Exploding crossbow bolts are nice, but nearly as messy as an exploding cop.

I just think the exploding cops shouldn't be able to spawn inside poi's period. They can soak way to much damage, and their explosion destroys bascally any lootable thing near them. You can't lead them out of the poi because it'll then glitch and respawn another one in its place when you kill the first one. You have to kill them pretty much in the room you find them in or else they respawn, or at least without them going outside of the poi (or you going outside). Once had to kill 5 rad cops in a row all spawned in the same spot before I figured it out that leading them outside just causes the sleeper spawn to glitch and put a new one in its place. You can see this in Zoe's Salon alot, at higher levels there is almost always a cop in the back room. Lead it outside then kill it, and when you go back, there will most likely (it doesn't happen everytime) be a new cop spawned in its place.

Learning the timing on the sledge will train you for the timing of the power attack. Just sayin....

I never really use the sledge, I mostly use hunting knife or the machete, as I tend to also butcher the bodies for bones after. Might change in A17 if they don't flinch after each hit with a hunting knife like they do in A16.4.

Is there a way to configure the game so that horde night calculations are unchanged but POIs don’t generate so many irradiated cops?

Absolutely.

In gamestages.xml

the 7 day hordes directly reference

<spawner name="BloodMoonHorde">

while sleepers run off of

<spawner name="SleeperGSList">

Edit whatever you feel like.

How bout power attack with the sledge? Will that take 10 seconds to recharge? and drain 100 stamina? ^^

Oh ya! And you get super filthy yellow hair that clumps together in a few strands while you charge it up.

Absolutely.

In gamestages.xml

the 7 day hordes directly reference

<spawner name="BloodMoonHorde">

while sleepers run off of

<spawner name="SleeperGSList">

Edit whatever you feel like.

Thanks. It sounds easier to just learn to use a sledge, but I looked at it anyway, and I don't think this would do what I want. As far as I can tell there are about 11 entries with "SleeperGSList" and I don't see how I can reduce (but not eliminate) the probability of Cops without getting into heavy modding since they just modify the property "count". Sample below:

<!-- Lootroom: ExtraSmall 1-2, Small 3-4, Medium 5-7, Large 6-9, ExtraLarge 8-11 -->

<group name="S_LootRoom_XS" emptyChance="0">

<spawner name="SleeperGSList" count="1,2"/>

</group>

<group name="S_LootRoom_S" emptyChance="0">

<spawner name="SleeperGSList" count="3,4"/>

</group>

<group name="S_LootRoom_Med" emptyChance="0">

<spawner name="SleeperGSList" count="5,7"/>

</group>

I played with sledge a bit and it works fine on irradiated and feral zombies on horde nights when behind a 50% pillar wall as they don't really change position much. However in the open or a POI, a lot of the (non-police) Feral and Irradiated zombies seem to randomly change direction and move so fast that it is very difficult to land a proper hit.

Archived