Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Currently doing some testing, but I may have fixed the NRE issue with traders and NPC's.

Only tested it with 1 trader right now, but had no issues. The downside is the trader also had no protection anymore.

Thats Good and Bad. Run Trader...... Run ! Lol

I kinda like it... it means players cant just run into the trader to hide from zombies :) Need to poke at it more though and see if I can get the protection back.

Sure its cool, but if they destroy the place, you don't have a Trader Everymore i think.

Okay, so the "fix" means protection straight up won't work.

However, trader NPC's are apparently immortal since I shot one with the Admin: Just Die gun and he didn't die.

I'll be pushing this fix soon. It does mean the trader POI's are no longer safe and players will have to be a little pro-active in defending their local trader, but the NPC CANNOT die... so you're safe on that front. :)

Mod updated!

Trader NRE issue is completely fixed. Trader protection has been REMOVED, meaning the POI is no longer safe from bandit or zombie attacks! The trader NPC is immortal though, so even if the POI is destroyed, the trader will remain.

I strongly recommend server owners find as many traders as possible and slap down land claim blocks to prevent players claiming them as bases. Though it's fun to do in single player. :D

Mod updated!

Trader NRE issue is completely fixed. Trader protection has been REMOVED, meaning the POI is no longer safe from bandit or zombie attacks! The trader NPC is immortal though, so even if the POI is destroyed, the trader will remain.

I strongly recommend server owners find as many traders as possible and slap down land claim blocks to prevent players claiming them as bases. Though it's fun to do in single player. :D

Great Work !

Small update.

Added a custom icon for the Water Butt so it doesn't look like a normal oil drum (still wish I could tint the block!) and changed the localization for the tooltip that pops up when the game starts. It now tells you that you have the class book rather than needing to go to the trader to get it.

Mod Updated!

• NPC's could drop their guns and ammo on death. Now they can't.
  • NPC guns given their own "parts" so players cannot craft them.
  • NPC's were not reloading guns due to too many ammo types. Now they do!
  • NPC guards added to all trader prefabs! They shoot zombies and bandits as default... and you if you attack them.

Just a small update.

Tweaked the XP required to level so it takes slightly longer. Skills should level at the same rate. Server version of the 45-slot backpack mod added to downloads (use the EAC-safe files for servers if you don't plan to use the backpack mod)

Started working on an NPC for players to buy quests from last night.

Totally broke it, because coding while you are tired is not wise, but I've got a good base started. :) Once the code is done, I'm going to push the patch and then work on the localization aspect later. The reason for doing it like that is because I would need to edit the trader prefab, which can require a world reset. So I'd rather get THAT part released first, and the "prettyfying" bit later. :)

Mod updated!

NPC Guard Captain added to all traders. They have a unique "for sale" list consisting of 3 quests. Those 3 quests can be bought for 200 coins each, and grant coins as a reward and skill notes so players have another way to get them in order to craft skill books.

Amount of coins rewarded will be tweaked, and the quests need localization right now. However I wanted to push this patch so any new traders you find will have the NPC's. Old ones you have already discovered likely will not have the NPC's. If you have any errors, you may need a new world.

Skill points per level decreased to 4 since it's now easier to craft the generic skill point books.

Just thought I'd update this with my current plans.

So I'm working on adding titanium to the game. The idea is I'll lower the requirements to learn steel (probably to around level 125) and make titanium what you can learn at high level. I might go 50/100/150 for iron/steel/titanium.

It won't be used for armour, but it will be used for tools and weapons. The idea is it'll do about the same damage as steel (maybe slightly more), but use less stamina because it's lighter.

So yeah. That's the plan. :)

Just thought I'd update this with my current plans.

So I'm working on adding titanium to the game. The idea is I'll lower the requirements to learn steel (probably to around level 125) and make titanium what you can learn at high level. I might go 50/100/150 for iron/steel/titanium.

It won't be used for armour, but it will be used for tools and weapons. The idea is it'll do about the same damage as steel (maybe slightly more), but use less stamina because it's lighter.

So yeah. That's the plan. :)

Dont forget the lesser degradation! Its titanium after all :p

Cheers

Right now, I'd be happy if the forge worked properly. ;)

So far it seems to be an issue with the normal forge AND my modded forge. The first item in a stack is instantly melted, and the last item in a stack remains. Does it with iron, brass, lead, clay and the new titanium. However, that's with the bigger backpack mod installed, so I think I need to test it without that.

EDIT: Aaaaaaand does it with the normal one too. Huh. I wonder what I broke.

Another Edit: Works fine if you don't watch the forge. Alright then. Whatever game. :D

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

BIG update time!

• Titanium added! Spawns underground and on the surface in specific biomes.
  • Titanium bound club, barbed club, spiked club, sledgehammer, hunting knife, machete, fireaxe, pickaxe, shovel, arrows and bolts all added!
  • Steel lowered to level 100, Titanium requires level 150. This gives a smoother progression (Scrap tools at 5, Iron tools at 50, Steel tools at 100, Titanium tools at 150)
  • Loot lists updated to include recipes for some of the new titanium items (some unlocked via perk).
  • Trader lists updated to sell some titanium stuff, recipes and alsoe the new guns and ammo.
  • Craftable skill books now require paper, because it's bloody everywhere so it needed more uses. Don't forget you can scrap cash into paper.

You don't need a new world, but you will need to go to unexplored chunks to get titanium to generate. The idea is that it does more damage than steel, with double the durability and uses less stamina. I've tried to make the swings take less time as well, but if that is too jarring, let me know and I'll put them back to default and reduce stamina slightly more to compensate.

I did not add Titanium armour, because Steel is already pretty good, so it'd just be steel with really high durability. I figured steel armour with titanium weapons and tools makes for a good setup (since there are no steel weapons really).

Hmm. Interested in the idea of this. Sounds like a lot of really cool ideas. But I must say my first impression of the world is that it feels... desolate. Have tried a couple starts, but at none of them has there been a single poi anywhere in view. The 2 I tried to play through for a while, after walking, doing some minor gathering and fighting but mainly just -walking- for an entire day(about a half hour each time) I did not reach the trader. And each walk, I only even saw a couple POIs, on the horizon. Apart from coming across a campsite. i have yet to see a town. it feels very empty. And both times I've come across a -huge- body of water, which sort of adds to the emptiness....

I don't know that I've experienced quite this huge an empty space in a mod before. Am I just getting bad seeds/spawns? Or are pois/towns turned way down, or cell sizes turned way up...?

I am liking the looks of these updates! I'll be streaming this later on today and hopefully I can get some of our community to come give this mod a try :D And, I am liking the sounds of the hub city, I'll try generating a seed which has one in to showcase it :D

Hmm. Interested in the idea of this. Sounds like a lot of really cool ideas. But I must say my first impression of the world is that it feels... desolate. Have tried a couple starts, but at none of them has there been a single poi anywhere in view. The 2 I tried to play through for a while, after walking, doing some minor gathering and fighting but mainly just -walking- for an entire day(about a half hour each time) I did not reach the trader. And each walk, I only even saw a couple POIs, on the horizon. Apart from coming across a campsite. i have yet to see a town. it feels very empty. And both times I've come across a -huge- body of water, which sort of adds to the emptiness....

I don't know that I've experienced quite this huge an empty space in a mod before. Am I just getting bad seeds/spawns? Or are pois/towns turned way down, or cell sizes turned way up...?

Cell sizes were turned up to make for bigger cities. Probably didn't have much luck with your seed either.

When I was testing last night, I literally spawned on a road between two cities.

Having said that, I do plan to look at rwgmixer again, because I got a really flat world with no POI's around yesterday.

I am liking the looks of these updates! I'll be streaming this later on today and hopefully I can get some of our community to come give this mod a try :D And, I am liking the sounds of the hub city, I'll try generating a seed which has one in to showcase it :D

I shall try and pop in later then :) I see you're also in the UK, so I'm hoping it's going to be in the evening.

Mornings and afternoons I have to mod for my mate on twitch, so I don't get a chance to hop around streams.

EDIT: And I just realised who you are. Fox... keep an eye on Kickz. He'll try and drop you on zombies again. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Right, I had a look at rwgmixer and tweaked it a little. I lowered the cell size by 200, which actually made for some interesting cities. There were 2 sprawling ones, and 1 smaller one that I found. Really liked that.

But it also helped with the POI's. Yes there was sometimes a huge expanse of land before you found one, but for the most part, there were a lot around and you could often see them from each other.

Modifying cell size increases the sizes of biomes, and makes cities further apart, but I am unsure it impacts the sizes of cities themselves. I am pretty sure that is handled solely by the Hub Rules, though I am not positive. If one wants to increase the biome size and maintain the same density of POIs in the wild, it is important to change the wilderness_rule's spawn_min_max values. Increasing them proportional to the increase in cell size, so if you double the cell size, you double the values in the wilderness_rules spawn_min_max. This maintains the same POI density as vanilla.

It increases the size of the cities because cities are a biome within a biome (it's how I have different zombie spawning rules for within a city).

But thank you for the tip. I shall have a poke at that since I wanted to have a look at my hub city again. :)i

City/town size is dictated by:

Terrain

Cell size

Street layout

Terrain trumps all and if it cant place a city/town it won't, even if you tell it to do so.

Cell Size is next and will tell the street layout how big it CAN grow.

Street layout works within the Terrain and Cell size. If the terrain is overly rough it'll just build the street (if it can in the cell) were it has enough room and is smooth enough.

Or at least to my understanding.

There's also "bounds" you use for the modules and that can really help place hubs more so in the flatter areas but that's another deal..