Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

2 hours ago, littl3d3vil said:

Is there a way to restore trader protection in the mod?  I would prefer to play with it on.

I would too. Either that or have working defences at traders. It grates on me that they have no defences at all because that wouldn't be possible in the in-game situation. They'd all be dead in hours. It's rather silly. Silly within the context of the gameworld, that is. It's not internally consistent and that grates on me.

I know that it's partially possible for the player to run defences for a trader, but only in a very restricted and impractical way using the generator and turrets already in place. Which grates on me too - why on earth would a trader not bother to do it themself in those circumstances?

Traders are incapable of doing anything to defend themselves. Any zombie will kill them, even a zombie that only does 1 hp of damage and only has 1 hp of health.

Traders never heal themselves (despite having healing stuff in their stock) and can't be healed by the player.

The trader situation grates on me.

Anyway...here's what I did and which has worked well enough. It was initially a simple contingency measure I could do early on, but it's worked well enough to keep it and to use it on every normal trader compound I've found. I just built a wall of cobblestone blocks 3 high and 2 thick around the entire trader compound other than the gates. It makes it looks less obviously stupid and it delays zombies long enough for me to get my trading done then go out and kill them. You can do a ride-around every now and then to see if any of the outer blocks have been destroyed and replace them (hence the wall being 2 blocks thick). Although the game will spawn zombies inside the compound anyway, just teleport them in. But those can be dealt with on your way in to trade.

14 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

It's basically the same as vanilla A19.

So HP does more damage, but less vs anything with armor.
AP does slightly less damage, but ignores X amount of armor.

Normally I just stick an armor shredder mod on an auto weapon and use HP.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll find out how to test it and get some numbers to work with. Right now I'm using normal ammo with an armour shredder mod in my auto rifles. Maybe better than HP and shredder, maybe worse. In vanilla A19 hollow point was supposed to do 30% less damage against armour and sometimes did 100% less damage, i.e. no damage at all. The shredder mod ignores 10% armour IIRC.

Edited by Angilion
removed superfluous sentence (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Angilion said:

I would too. Either that or have working defences at traders. It grates on me that they have no defences at all because that wouldn't be possible in the in-game situation. They'd all be dead in hours. It's rather silly. Silly within the context of the gameworld, that is. It's not internally consistent and that grates on me.

I know that it's partially possible for the player to run defences for a trader, but only in a very restricted and impractical way using the generator and turrets already in place. Which grates on me too - why on earth would a trader not bother to do it themself in those circumstances?

Traders are incapable of doing anything to defend themselves. Any zombie will kill them, even a zombie that only does 1 hp of damage and only has 1 hp of health.

Traders never heal themselves (despite having healing stuff in their stock) and can't be healed by the player.

The trader situation grates on me.

I can tell you exactly why.

My intent was to put 1 engine in the generator, load it with gas, have every turret hooked up to a switch with SOME ammo in it and the player just needed to turn it on.

Except you can't "save" a prefab with stuff in blocks AND all the electrics hooked up.

And before anyone asks, no, the guards aren't coming back. They were op and people kept @%$#ing about them.

6 hours ago, Angilion said:

Anyway...here's what I did and which has worked well enough. It was initially a simple contingency measure I could do early on, but it's worked well enough to keep it and to use it on every normal trader compound I've found. I just built a wall of cobblestone blocks 3 high and 2 thick around the entire trader compound other than the gates. It makes it looks less obviously stupid and it delays zombies long enough for me to get my trading done then go out and kill them. You can do a ride-around every now and then to see if any of the outer blocks have been destroyed and replace them (hence the wall being 2 blocks thick). Although the game will spawn zombies inside the compound anyway, just teleport them in. But those can be dealt with on your way in to trade.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll find out how to test it and get some numbers to work with. Right now I'm using normal ammo with an armour shredder mod in my auto rifles. Maybe better than HP and shredder, maybe worse. In vanilla A19 hollow point was supposed to do 30% less damage against armour and sometimes did 100% less damage, i.e. no damage at all. The shredder mod ignores 10% armour IIRC.

Shredder mod adds a STACKING buff thant eventually removes up to 50% armor if my memory is correct.

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

Shredder mod adds a STACKING buff thant eventually removes up to 50% armor if my memory is correct.

I'd been misinterpreting that as multiple shredder mods on the same weapon stacking. Duh, silly me.

Time to get some hollow point tips going while I decide whether to try entering the wasteland again (didn't go at all well last time - I was on fire so much I couldn't even see the things killing me) or play ring around the traders hoping one of them has a laser workbench in stock so I can make all the things.

Thinking of mods...is there a resource explaining exactly which mods do what and which ones can be placed together on the same piece of equipment? I'm not at all sure my weapon and armour mods are optimised. I'm using L71 weapons at the moment (titanium spear, M4A1 and coilcarbine) and I'm far from sure which 7 mods work best with those. My coilcarbine, for example, has a leg crippling mod on it. Not because I thought it was the best choice but because it was the only weapon mod I could find or make that would fit on the gun with the other 6 mods on it.

Yep, I was right.

Armor Shredder mod puts an effect on the gun, which means when you shoot something, you strip 5% armor. It stacks up to 50%.

So if something has 30% armor, 6 shots removes all of it.

Personally for the carbine, i'd have fore grip, rod and spring, full auto (it adds to the rounds per minute, yes, really), reflex sight, blessed metal, armor shredder and then either barrel extender or silencer depending on how loud I want to be.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

I have a problem with my server, spent all day fixing my base and finally was going to set up blade traps and electric fence. I placed down a geneerator and battery bank, connected the generator to battery bank and it froze my game. I had to restart my pc and end my game and try to join, frozen again. Another player who then moved to that chunk that holds the generator and my base got frozen and same thing. I then tried to restart my dedicated server, same thing again, but other player rejoins from a location before she moved to the problem generator location and minibike stuck there, as soon as they reach the minibike again frozen game. Sigh...😥

It's a bit strange, I had a bit of a game freeze when I first tried to connect a generator to a battery bank but it quickly resumed. This time not.

edit: So I remembered something from my previous experience of trying to move saved chunks to a new version of a save and found that nothing was connected anymore in regards to electricity. I remembered the power.dat file. So I removed that since the power.dat.bak was already a overwritten, and removed both. I could connect to my server again, but as soon as I tried the same connecting the generator to battery bank it froze again.

I may try something different, hopefully anything else electrical doesn't have this issue and i just don't try connected generator --> battery bank anymore.

edit2: So this time I removed both generator and battery bank, placed them differently and it's working no freezing! I'm not sure if a specific configuration causes the issue or not.

Edited by funk
new information (see edit history)

Hi, I'm having a bit of an issue with this mod. When I make the irrigation pump, place it and then exit the game, it is gone the next time I continue the game. So every time I launch the game I have to make and place a new one.

15 minutes ago, Gamida said:

What about feral sense. Turned on? set to Night or even to All?

do you mean the "crazy zombie sensitivity" option? If so, then indeed, it was disabled for me.

3 hours ago, ARS said:

Hi, who knows how to increase the number of zombies in the game over the maximum? The value of 300 is too easy for me

You do realise that's the "max that can be in the world at any one time" option, right?

Because that's how you kill your FPS. 😛 You can't just increase that to increase zombie spawns. That's controlled in XML. That setting just lets them stay alive longer.

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

You do realise that's the "max that can be in the world at any one time" option, right?

Because that's how you kill your FPS. 😛 You can't just increase that to increase zombie spawns. That's controlled in XML. That setting just lets them stay alive longer.

So I want to find out which XML file is responsible for spawn zombies. SPAWNING XML I tried to edit failed.

1 hour ago, ARS said:

So I want to find out which XML file is responsible for spawn zombies. SPAWNING XML I tried to edit failed.

As Khaine mentioned, you can't just edit the main file.

Khaine's DF mod is an overhaul mod which changes a lot of the xml code, including the baseline xml game code.  So once his mod is loaded in, any changes you made to the baseline XML files is lost.

The proper thing to do is to determine how Khaine wrote his xml file for spawning and use that as your new baseline.  Then generate a modlet that will load after Khaine's mod that targets his code.  Best advice I can give is to run a game with the DF mod in it, then take the output config file for Spawning.xml.  That will show you exactly how the game has implemented Khaine's code and provide insight to you on how to make the changes yourself.

And the reason a modlet was suggested instead of simply changing the files in the DF data folder is that updates to DF will not include those changes.  Creating a modlet to start with will allow those changes to apply after Khaine makes updates to his mod (unless he makes some structure changes which would require updating the modlet too).

But you were warned by Khaine already that increasing those spawn rates can impact your FPS., especially in cities.  You might be okay increasing the spawn rates outside of large cities, but it can quickly turn to a slideshow once you enter a city and the new spawn rates take effect.

Hello,
I recently updated to A20.5 and keep getting some XUi bugs on startup. My console starts automatically and the serverBrowser, optionsVideo, and optionsAudio window all pop up at once. The windows are throwing an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error. I checked the output_log file and those errors were not there after I closed the game.
I've also never posted on this forum and have no idea how to share the screen shot of the bug (yes I know how dumb). 

5 hours ago, Beeradd said:

Hello,
I recently updated to A20.5 and keep getting some XUi bugs on startup. My console starts automatically and the serverBrowser, optionsVideo, and optionsAudio window all pop up at once. The windows are throwing an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error. I checked the output_log file and those errors were not there after I closed the game.
I've also never posted on this forum and have no idea how to share the screen shot of the bug (yes I know how dumb). 

At first, did you turn EAC off ? Or simply use the 7DaysToDie.exe not the 7DaysToDie_EAC.exe.

When that wasn't he problem, you should start from the beginning.

Have a clean 7d2d installation, no other modlets.

Made a copy of that installation and instal/unzip/copy DF into that.

Start the 7DaysToDie.exe.

I’m having an issue progressing the story line. I’ve done 15 white river scout missions but every time I click the open trade routes mission from her it just says failed automatically. Do you have a fix for this?