Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Hey there, loving the mod so far, just had a question regarding the classes and their corresponding perks.

How do I go about unlocking the other classes / starting their quests? I finished the Laborer quest and would like to start unlocking some of the perks of the other classes as well.

When you find books/schematics in the world (or if you are cashed up use the trader) if you all ready know the skill/perk etc you can scrap them for blank skill notes papers. Use the writing bench to then create a new blank class paper. It's kind of costly though as each class paper costs 120 blank skill notes and scrapping the schematics/books only yeilds 3 notes per.

- - - Updated - - -

any way to increase the construction skill faster? using which tools is best to do it?

I found the best way early on was to get a hammer (level 1 is ok) cut down a bunch of trees and upgrade some poi's from wood to the next tier, or run around and upgrade the trader from wood to the next tier. Other than that, there was no easy way. The wrench takes too long and the nail gun was slower than the hammer but not sure if it yeilds more skill points towards construction tools than the hammer does.

Died and Gained You are feeling an illness coming over you it seems it's duration is increasing rather than decreasing antibiotics do not work and it is currently hindering the crafting due to the negative effects so far I've had the illness for 1hr 30 mins

Let a zombie hit you. Should take care of it or at least it does for me.

Claw hammer or Stone hammer? Or titanium HAmmer? upgrading blocks of traders is good idea, thanks

Sorry mate, claw hammer. I used the stone hammer from the beginning quest to start with until I looted a claw hammer.

Yesterday i give a try of this mode, and I must admit i had more fun then with vanilla. I am also confused a bit, and cant find information to solve that out. I found a book "minibike for dumb♥♥♥♥" and book for p225 pistol, but I cant read them why? Should I unlock some specific class to perform that? When I look at perk/skill tree I was amazed, but also is it possible to maxed out everything? Do we have any xp cap here?

Books have to be read from the hotbar, NOT the shortcut key. It doesn't work for some reason.

Level cap is 200, but you can make/find a book that gives +1 skill point. So if you constantly loot, constantly grind, etc... there's technically no cap. :)

Books have to be read from the hotbar, NOT the shortcut key. It doesn't work for some reason.

Level cap is 200, but you can make/find a book that gives +1 skill point. So if you constantly loot, constantly grind, etc... there's technically no cap. :)

Oh, but as I remember correctly, the "Read" button on the hotbar was not active. I wasnt able to push it. Is is possible, that I have - somehow - installed mode uncorretly? I did use mode launcher though.

Oh, but as I remember correctly, the "Read" button on the hotbar was not active. I wasnt able to push it. Is is possible, that I have - somehow - installed mode uncorretly? I did use mode launcher though.

Hey mate, put it in your hotbar and then when you have it selected, left mouse click. Most of them will say you just gained........ or you already know this....... you will also get a few that won't do anything, this, I have found, is because you all ready know it and you are good to scrap it because if you actually select it in the inventory screen and hit USE it will cause the screen to flicker and disappear giving you nothing and wasting the 3 scrap papers you could have got from scrapping it instead.

Hey mate, put it in your hotbar and then when you have it selected, left mouse click. Most of them will say you just gained........ or you already know this....... you will also get a few that won't do anything, this, I have found, is because you all ready know it and you are good to scrap it because if you actually select it in the inventory screen and hit USE it will cause the screen to flicker and disappear giving you nothing and wasting the 3 scrap papers you could have got from scrapping it instead.

^ this.

The read shortcut does not work. At all.

You put it on your hotbar, select it and left click.

Hiya KhaineGB, I have now unlocked every class and still loving it. Just noticed though I cannot craft Steel Wrench or 4x4. These are suppose to be unlocked in the mechanic class but doesn't appear to be working. I can craft the normal wrench and the bike and minibike (haven't tried the motorbike).

It does seem to appear in the Mechanic Perks (Mastery) progression.cfg file as vehicle4x4TruckChassis,vehicle4x4TruckAccessories,vehicle4x4TruckPlaceable,DFoilPump,DFmeleeToolSteelWrench

so I am not sure where the problem is.

Lights no ON in Darkness Falls

Not sure where to post as new post but playing Darkness Falls 7D2D 17.2 and even lights from the creative menu are turned off and won't turn on or be allowed to power with electricity. However when walking around or entering some buildings, some of the lights are on and some are not. Same with streetlights. Please advise how to get working lights.

Not sure where to post as new post but playing Darkness Falls 7D2D 17.2 and even lights from the creative menu are turned off and won't turn on or be allowed to power with electricity. However when walking around or entering some buildings, some of the lights are on and some are not. Same with streetlights. Please advise how to get working lights.

Did you follow all the steps? Build a generator or battery bank, fuel it with fuel, use a wire tool to connect a wire from the generator to the light, and then turn on the generator?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question as well Is there a good source for the difference between experimental build and what it has versus stable?

Edited by cdevine0104 (see edit history)

I make absolutely no guarantees any of them will work.

I know Firearms 2 should have been tweaked for better compatibility.

Tyres already have a use.

No idea what the arrow recipes is, but probably not because I edited arrow and bolt recipes.

Brass knobs from doors should be ok.

Death debuff timer should be ok.

Faster vehicle speed MIGHT be ok until 2.1 due to extra vehicles.

Flagstone frames might be... but eh... why?

Trader daily restock might be ok, but that's kinda OP and I don't recommend it.

Wandering horde size WONT be.

Water refill.... no idea what that is so can't comment.

Quality effectiveness bonus - Might be but don't use it. I balanced stuff around static damage/level so if you mess with that you're likely going to make a basic sniper rifle better than a coilgun since my new guns WON'T be in that modlet.

Most things already have reduced stamina usage per level, so I wouldn't mess with that either.

As a very general rule, modlets are use at your own risk. If it breaks the mod, not my problem.

I also wish folks would play DF WITHOUT ANY MODLETS first. It's taken bloody days to try and balance everything, so at least give it a try before you start ruining that, kk thx. :p

Just got back from vacation, I'll try it without other modlets, except for Firearms2. Love that too much. xP

Thanks for the response!

Hiya KhaineGB, I have now unlocked every class and still loving it. Just noticed though I cannot craft Steel Wrench or 4x4. These are suppose to be unlocked in the mechanic class but doesn't appear to be working. I can craft the normal wrench and the bike and minibike (haven't tried the motorbike).

It does seem to appear in the Mechanic Perks (Mastery) progression.cfg file as vehicle4x4TruckChassis,vehicle4x4TruckAccessories,vehicle4x4TruckPlaceable,DFoilPump,DFmeleeToolSteelWrench

so I am not sure where the problem is.

Will double check that later today. I think the steel wrench was actually missing a recipe, but should be fixed now. Not sure on the 4x4.

That sounds like something isn't installed correctly. It's all working fine for me.

I have a question as well Is there a good source for the difference between experimental build and what it has versus stable?

Discord. Though I'll likely be posting a changelog for experimental later because that branch is VERY likely going to be updated for 17.3 at some point today or tomorrow.

Since folks asked, this is the current list of changes of experimental vs stable.

• Added skill notes to quest rewards.
  • Added blank class book to loot as a very rare drop.
  • Rewrote progression again. Now functions more like A16 with per category crafting tier increase perks
  • Changed perks to unlock based on Action Skills, not levels, except for Steel+.
  • Removed perks that increase weapon damage from classes. They are now generic perks and rely on action skill levels instead.
  • Locked perks based on if the relevant class perk has been gained so they cannot be purchased. Should stop players buying them twice.
  • Altered clothes and mods so insulation stuff and impact bracing can be installed on normal clothing.
  • Altered clothes to take the storage pocket mod.
  • Increased inventory size to 96.
  • Locked all inventory slots as encumbrance slots.
  • Reduced encumbrance penalty so the player can still move if all slots are full.
  • Added backpacks. Uses the shirt slot, so shirts may become unequiped.
  • Player granted a Small Backpack on spawn.
  • Added new carry capacity mods for armor.
  • Added 2 extra quality levels.
  • Lockpick crafting tier determined by lockpicking skill.
  • All bolt/arrow recipes should now be craftable without needing a perk. Arrowheads/Boltheads are still locked.
  • 308's CCTV system added.
  • Near Death debuff scrapped and rewritten. Sets Health, food and stamina to 50, and player takes a 25% XP penalty for 30 minutes
  • Food and Drink have custom buffs added to help mitigate the health/food/stamina effects of Near Death.
  • Changed RWG so caitlin and the supercorn POI have a minimum count of 1 per map.
  • New bunker POI's added to RWG.
  • Uranium and Plutonium added to RWG. Found underground in the wasteland.
  • Added new radiated biome with demon portals. Works with 17.3 RWG.
  • Hazmat suit now works vs radiation, but NOT the radiation biome at the edge of the map. This is intentional.
  • Changed titanium ore texture to ice.
  • Got rid of the XP popup in the bottom right.
  • Mod schematics removed. Generic schematic item added. Needed to craft mods but should make doing that easier now.
  • Mod recipes removed from Yeah, Science and added to the Science crafting skill. T1 mods unlocked at level 1, T2 mods unlocked at level 3, T3 mods unlocked at level 5.
  • Tool XP requirements reduced by 25% so they should level faster.
  • Weapon XP requirements increased by 25% so it should level slower.
  • Guppy's motorized shopping cart added. Slightly faster than the bicycle, slower than the minibike but has minibike storage.
  • Action skills now PERMANENTLY unlock. No more green number.
  • Titanium frames removed. 47-ish titanium blocks added. This is basically every steel block shape I could find. Added to laborer mastery instead of the frames.
  • Steel now upgrades to stainless steel. Stainless steel upgrades to titanium.
  • Titanium downgrades to stainless steel. Stainless steel downgrades to concrete like A16.
  • High-end Future Techology skill tree added. Perks only gained via items. Have fun with lasers.
  • Muscle car added. It is mecanic mastery only, faster than the motorcycle and has the most storage.
  • Lower 7 day horde gamestages tweaked to see if it helps with hordes not turning up.
  • Traders can now die. They still respawn.
  • Arrows and bolts can now cause bleed out like they did in A16.
  • Animals and animal husbandry added.
  • Melee bandits and melee survivors added.
  • Sphereii's Localization Patch added to assist with modlet integration.
  • Dire wolves are black again.
  • Some A16 zombie textures re-added so they don't all have black hair.
  • Infection will now kill you if left untreated.
  • All quests changed to Gather instead of Craft to make things easier. Also fixed a rare quest-based NRE.
  • Removed rabbits because they're buggy. Tweaked quests to ensure any referencing rabbits can still be completed.
  • Cement added to Hammer and Forge.
  • Steel tools moved to Hammer and Forge 5. Steel armor removed.
  • Charismatic Nature localization fixed. Now displays that it works like daring adventurer + better barter.
  • Changed sleeper spawning to work more like A16
  • Books no longer have durability.
  • Updated the compo pack to V38.
  • Made sure all compo pack POI's have Copy Air Blocks turned on so they're less likely to be partially underground now.
  • New journal entries added. All class information will now display in the journal as SOON as you make the book. You don't need to read them first.
  • Lowered mastery perk point costs so buying them is more viable.
  • Illnesses now skip stage 0 and go to stage 1. This should help with the illness bug.
  • Antibiotics and honey overhauled to work more like A16.
  • Guard AI changed to work based on faction, so they'll actually shoot Behemoths and Night Stalkers now.
  • Class specific perks are now easier to unlock. Level 3 requires finishing the class quest, levels 4 and 5 require player levels 10 and 20.
  • UI Display re-done for custom workstations to fix the flicker issue. This has caused some minor issues with the trader. Workaround patched in but it doesn't "look" very good.
  • Increased the heal value of the sterile bandage so it's halfway between the normal bandage and the medical bandage.
  • Lowered the stamina and water values of coconut water since it's so easy to get.
  • Grandpa's Awesome Sauce now grants ranged damage instead of bartering increases.
  • All eyewear now has special bonuses. Check item descriptions instead of the stats page for these increases.
  • Fixed damage on Porkins' Shotgun.
  • Kages book and generic skill point book no longer scrap into blank class books.
  • Slightly increased titanium club damage.
  • Radiation biome won't kill you if you have the newbie buff (level 5 or lower)
  • Wandering traders added. They have a VERY low spawn chance and carry a much smaller version of Caitlin's list.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

@KhaineGB:

Sorry, but i believe it was mentioned/asked about before already, the CompoundBow perk unlock problematic.

I love to use a Bow and thus could not sit still with the perk being red and without description, thus i dug around a bit and i found something that seems to have fixed it(for me so far, hope you can fix it for everyone else soon).

May i humbly ask if you could confirm this, so it can be patched for all.

<perk name="perkBowWeapons" parent="skillBooks" min_level="0" max_level="2" base_skill_point_cost="1" cost_multiplier_per_level="1" name_key="perkBowWeaponsName" desc_key="perkBowWeaponsDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_archery">
	<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkCraftWeapons" operation="GTE" value="2" desc_key="reqWeapons2"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkCraftWeapons" operation="GTE" value="3" desc_key="reqWeapons3"/></level_requirements>

If you look at the part '<level_requirements level="1">', after looking at similar places with multiple levels, i figured that it may just be a typo, but it would seem after changing it to:

<perk name="perkBowWeapons" parent="skillBooks" min_level="0" max_level="2" base_skill_point_cost="1" cost_multiplier_per_level="1" name_key="perkBowWeaponsName" desc_key="perkBowWeaponsDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_archery">
	<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkCraftWeapons" operation="GTE" value="2" desc_key="reqWeapons2"/></level_requirements>
	<level_requirements level="[b][color="#FF0000"]2[/color][/b]"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkCraftWeapons" operation="GTE" value="3" desc_key="reqWeapons3"/></level_requirements>

I can finally see the requirements in game and also unlock it with the "Weapon Crafting lvl" 2 and 3 respectively.

Great work so far, respect for the effort, i hope you add only more and help 7d2d grow better and better.

Best regards,

Xylvier

Lights not on Darkness Falls - So I removed the entire game and files. Then reinstalled. Then verified integrity of game files. Then cut/paste the mod files into folder. Overwrite all. I can only build minor lights. No fluorescent, street lamps, etc.... If I grab them from creative, none of them light up and wont ket me run electrical through them. And the only lights available are the POI lights. Any ideas? Lighting is making me nuts.

I found out I can apparently make oil shale? I think it's just from a mod and think it might be from this one? What tool does it take? Mortar, oven, cement mixer, chemistry station, none of these are letting me do it. Trying to make it out of coal

@KhaineGB:

Sorry, but i believe it was mentioned/asked about before already, the CompoundBow perk unlock problematic.

I love to use a Bow and thus could not sit still with the perk being red and without description, thus i dug around a bit and i found something that seems to have fixed it(for me so far, hope you can fix it for everyone else soon).

May i humbly ask if you could confirm this, so it can be patched for all.

<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkCraftWeapons" operation="GTE" value="3" desc_key="reqWeapons3"/></level_requirements>

If you look at the part '<level_requirements level="1">', after looking at similar places with multiple levels, i figured that it may just be a typo, but it would seem after changing it to:

<level_requirements level="[b][color="#FF0000"]2[/color][/b]"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkCraftWeapons" operation="GTE" value="3" desc_key="reqWeapons3"/></level_requirements>

I can finally see the requirements in game and also unlock it with the "Weapon Crafting lvl" 2 and 3 respectively.

Great work so far, respect for the effort, i hope you add only more and help 7d2d grow better and better.

Best regards,

Xylvier

Yep, that's the fix. I just fixed it locally today too. It got pushed in the Build 10 update. :)

Lights not on Darkness Falls - So I removed the entire game and files. Then reinstalled. Then verified integrity of game files. Then cut/paste the mod files into folder. Overwrite all. I can only build minor lights. No fluorescent, street lamps, etc.... If I grab them from creative, none of them light up and wont ket me run electrical through them. And the only lights available are the POI lights. Any ideas? Lighting is making me nuts.

So I went and checked.

Spotlight and Simple light both work.

These are the ONLY LIGHTS a player can craft. If you're trying to light up anything else, you can't. Because that's not a vanilla thing, and I didn't add more lights, which means you were using a mod previously to add more lights.

I found out I can apparently make oil shale? I think it's just from a mod and think it might be from this one? What tool does it take? Mortar, oven, cement mixer, chemistry station, none of these are letting me do it. Trying to make it out of coal

Oil Pump, which is a mechanic mastery specific workstation. :)

EDIT: Also, DF v2.1 Experimental Build 10 is on the launcher under the experimental branch.

It works on 17.3E. ;)

If you played DF before this release, try deleting the mod and reinstalling it. There may be some leftover files from previous experimental for 17.2. I had some issues when upgrading and after reinstalling it everything is as it should be.

Hi Khaine,

Yesterday I played the game normally (everything went perfectly fine), today I initiate the game and I can only see blue light (blue kind of like night time) and a light in the center. Nothing else renders. I sync the mod again but it doesn't work....any help? :p