A16 - STARVATION Mod for A16

Mortelentus

Maybe something else spoiled? An egg maybe? A piece of fruit? Animals don't spoil. What about the inventory being full? Are you sure your inventory had free slots (hotbar not included).

i know, but the fact was i had 8 meat on me, and tamed 1 bull, after the message +1 bull appeared i had 1 spoiled food and 8 meat on me. So no meat spoiled (was only food i had on me). So i did not lose raw meat but the bull changed into spoiled food

I think Katlima is right. Something else probably spoiled and filled up your inventory. I don't think 'taming' animals checks for free slots so your bull might have disappeared (due to full inventory) after it was picked up . As for what spoils, we know fruits, raw meat, milk, etc spoil for sure.

Pretty much anything that is obviously food or drink. But there are other things that you normally wouldn't think would spoil like sugared dough, cornmeal, raw sugar, etc. In my SP world I have played for over 300 days and I've picked up probably 100+ animals. None of them have turned to spoiled food. Of course I always have free inventory slots available.

Actually I do have plenty of animals to spare so I could probably do this test myself. The test is whether taming/tamed animals disappear if the inventory is full. I'll do it when I get a chance.

Edit: Just confirmed it. If your inventory is full and you successfully tame an animal, the animal disappears instead of appearing in your inventory. Looks like a bug to me - taming of animals should check for available inventory slots. I recorded the video if anyone wants to see it.

Edited by PPanda0421
Testing Results (see edit history)

But there are other things that you normally wouldn't think would spoil like sugared dough, cornmeal, raw sugar, etc.

Raw Sugar spoils? Gee I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. You know what else spoils? Cans of energy drink. They turn into spoiled drinks instead though.

The taming situation is wonky and inconsistent with the way the game handles a full inventory in other situations. Let's compare it to what happens if you wrench a car and an unexpected engine drops:

First the game tries to place it in your inventory, if there is a free slot available.

Then, if inventory is full, it tries to place it in your toolbar.

If the toolbar is full too, the engine drops to the ground and can be picked up still, if you free some space.

The animals not so much. The game will try to place them into your inventory, but if there is no free slot, the animal is lost, even if it shows an icon of picking it up in the bottom right hand corner.

Of course I always have free inventory slots available.

Yeah, not happening in my world. But now that I learned it the hard way, I try to free some slots, more than one, because with the animal hitboxes, it's easy to whack some shrubbery and fill up that one precious slot with plant fibers first.

Not sure the amount of work required to fix this though, since picking up engines is part of the vanilla game. Even though I think picking up animals should check at least for hotkey slots, I'd say the priority for this is low, because you can avoid this by preparing. You have to know about it though, so I suggest adding a warning to either the whip or to the quest text of Husbandry Basics 1/4.

Taming an animal is no different than harvesting a resource, with the exception that if your inventory is full it disappears rather than falling on the ground. any food and drink can expire (save for cans and bottled water) you must have looted something at some point that went bad, and when you collected the cow, it just dropped out of the world.

I'm fairly sure i've collected animals and had them go into my hotbar as it was the only empty slot.

- - - Updated - - -

any hint how to place a farming station, it's always red?

Female NPC is nearby and I did all what the quest said.

I think she needs to be within like 5 blocks of where you want to place the station, and it has to be the little girl npc, not a grown woman.

Taming an animal is no different than harvesting a resource, with the exception that if your inventory is full it disappears rather than falling on the ground. any food and drink can expire (save for cans and bottled water) you must have looted something at some point that went bad, and when you collected the cow, it just dropped out of the world.

I'm fairly sure i've collected animals and had them go into my hotbar as it was the only empty slot.

- - - Updated - - -

I think she needs to be within like 5 blocks of where you want to place the station, and it has to be the little girl npc, not a grown woman.

ah I see, the quest wants a "teen", may that't the reason.

thx

Yes but that's the bug. When you successfully tame an animal and there is no inventory space there are several options:

1. Drop the animal back on the ground where it appears as a bag. Note: Animals already appear as a bag when you drop them on the ground from your inventory.

2. Don't pick up the animal and display a message why it wasn't picked up. Mark the animal as tamed.

3. Let the animal disappear into oblivion which is what we're already seeing. Becomes annoying when the animal is a rare one like the bull.

I like option #2 but #1 is more similar to vanilla gameplay. However, starvation is already so different from vanilla that having this extra check seems minor.

Can not upgrade my Weapons

I found the Laser, the Scope and something more. The Infobox tells me to press the <Insert> Button to modify my Weapon, but i cant do this. I tried all i culd imagine. Inside the Weapons-Workbench and outside. Klicking first the Weapon or first the Scope. Im not able to modify my Weapon. I try to use the <Insert> Button that is on my Keyboard and is named Insert.

What did i wrong, or how should it work?

I just tried it out again, thinking something might have changed in the meantime. Filled my inventory, had 3 free toolbar slots, tamed animal, +1 icon shows up in the bottom right corner, animal lost.

I found the Laser, the Scope and something more. The Infobox tells me to press the <Insert> Button to modify my Weapon, but i cant do this. I tried all i culd imagine. Inside the Weapons-Workbench and outside. Klicking first the Weapon or first the Scope. Im not able to modify my Weapon. I try to use the <Insert> Button that is on my Keyboard and is named Insert.

What did i wrong, or how should it work?

Yes, you hold the weapon in your hand and then you press the button named insert. There are some possible problems I can think of:

- You assigned insert as a different hotkey either in the game or in a progam that catches your hotkey strokes while playing, like ts with overwolf

- You activated capslock (happens easily in 7dtd) and now you're not actually pressing insert but instead shift-insert

- You use a different keyboard layout than printed on, this can happen if you have a quick switch between english (US) and native or even use a "slightly" different layout to begin with, that only changes a few keys, among them insert

- Pay good attention to how the word insert is printed on your keyboard. Sometimes (notebook for example) you have to use an alterator key (shift, alt, fn, ctrl, whatever) to get this result out of the button

@PurgatoryWolf Thanks for answer between the heatpipes.

Unfortunately the spiketraps are buggy again and again. If you lay nine heatpipes, attach a slider and set the spiketraps, the spiketraps will not work. You have to build everyone back to the last slider and place it again.

I tried to lock the animals underground (pigs, sheep, cattle and goats) into rooms. All animals are separated by grids. Food and water in the trough are available. Except for the goats, all animals die after a short time. Can you say why?

I had an entire family of pigs disappear. They were eating and reproducing well for months, and suddenly I come home and the pen is empty. Singleplayer, underground, locked pen. No idea what got them. Hereditary disease amplified by incest maybe.

I just tried it out again, thinking something might have changed in the meantime. Filled my inventory, had 3 free toolbar slots, tamed animal, +1 icon shows up in the bottom right corner, animal lost.

Yes, you hold the weapon in your hand and then you press the button named insert. There are some possible problems I can think of:

- You assigned insert as a different hotkey either in the game or in a progam that catches your hotkey strokes while playing, like ts with overwolf

- You activated capslock (happens easily in 7dtd) and now you're not actually pressing insert but instead shift-insert

- You use a different keyboard layout than printed on, this can happen if you have a quick switch between english (US) and native or even use a "slightly" different layout to begin with, that only changes a few keys, among them insert

- Pay good attention to how the word insert is printed on your keyboard. Sometimes (notebook for example) you have to use an alterator key (shift, alt, fn, ctrl, whatever) to get this result out of the button

Weapon needs to be in one of your hot bars and in your hands. Attachments need to be in your back pack, not hot bar. With weapon in hand push your incert key. Screen should appear on the left side if your screen. This is not done in the weapons work bench. You can be anywhere on the map.

MP Bugs - Rain catcher & Survivors

Just got into Starvation MOD. Love it. however I am trying to figure out if there are a few things that are working correctly. Ive seen online that rain catchers don't work in MP, is this true?

Also, we cant seem to figure out how to get survivors to actually work. ive tried multiple times to get them to do there assigned tasks however nothing ever comes of it, they just run around and act silly. Would like to get this figured out as its the major mechanic of the MOD.

Ive seen online that rain catchers don't work in MP, is this true?

That is incorrect. While it was a problem some time back, they have been fixed for a while now. You are good to go with these. Just give them time.

Weapon needs to be in one of your hot bars and in your hands. Attachments need to be in your back pack, not hot bar. With weapon in hand push your incert key. Screen should appear on the left side if your screen. This is not done in the weapons work bench. You can be anywhere on the map.

Problem is, this doesn't always work for everyone. For example, I can do this myself for my MTAR but for my PSG-1 I cannot. I have ot pass it to a friend to do it for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got into Starvation MOD. Love it. however I am trying to figure out if there are a few things that are working correctly. Ive seen online that rain catchers don't work in MP, is this true?

Also, we cant seem to figure out how to get survivors to actually work. ive tried multiple times to get them to do there assigned tasks however nothing ever comes of it, they just run around and act silly. Would like to get this figured out as its the major mechanic of the MOD.

You need to build stations for the NPCs.. Cooking, Mechanic, Farm, Weaponsmith. Once you craft their station, collect the proper NPC, tell them to follow you, lead them where you want them to work, and place the station. This will created your worker and consume the npc.

Little girl for farmer, any adult male for smith and mechanic, and any adult female for cook.

(I forgot which one the guard station used, but we dont use it because it was broken for us. would send errors when we loaded him)

- - - Updated - - -

That is incorrect. While it was a problem some time back, they have been fixed for a while now. You are good to go with these. Just give them time.

Make sure to put your rain collectors in a sealed location or a little away from your base. The water can get kinda crazy! :D

Weapons modifying

... Yes, you hold the weapon in your hand and then you press the button named insert. There are some possible problems I can think of: ...

Holding the Weapon that should be modified in the Hand, that's the clue. Thanks for your fast and qualified answer. It seems to work now.

Holding the Weapon that should be modified in the Hand, that's the clue. Thanks for your fast and qualified answer. It seems to work now.

Just fyi, once time when i followed the proper procedure, the insert key would not bring up the attachment list. Other players could do it, just not me. I relogged and that fixed it.

Just fyi, once time when i followed the proper procedure, the insert key would not bring up the attachment list. Other players could do it, just not me. I relogged and that fixed it.

sorry, but I don't know what the meaning of insert key is. is that just "R" and with closed inventory? If I have a PSG-1 Rifle in the hand and a Laser Light for PSG-1 in inventory and hold R I just got the normal list for ammo. Do I have to read a book before??

Edited by narimbur (see edit history)

sorry, but I don't know what the meaning of insert key is. is that just "R" and with closed inventory? If I have a PSG-1 Rifle in the hand and a Laser Light for PSG-1 in inventory and hold R I just got the normal list for ammo. Do I have to read a book before??

It above the delete button on your key board

Just 2 small notes...

First a big thanks to Xyth for keeping notes of bugs and requests, and fixing what he can.

Second, I've been a bit occupied due to professional reasons (another tough season), but will try to keep things updated... I especially would love to release the birds update asap...

Again, thank you all for your support and patience.