A16 - STARVATION Mod for A16

Mortelentus

If you use a solar bank in combination with battery bank to power up the insect lights on your field. In the night when solar bank switches to battery bank the light's on the field are off. You have to switch the battery bank off and on again to let them work properly.

First time modding 7 Days. Installed 7D2D Launcher, located StarvationMod16, copied game from an existing copy and performed the Pre-Sync Mod. It kept failing to download files from Github saying "error downloading cleaning corrupted data". I saw a fix posted about the new TLS standard which I applied since I am using Windows 7, rebooted and still having problems. So I checked the "Direct Download" which downloads the .zip, extracts and then when I click Play Mod is copies over the content and loads the game. But it hangs at "loading main menu" and never goes any further. Only items that are checked at "refresh mods automatically", "update registry" and I have "direct download" checked only when I need to directly download the entire .zip for updates but I have that unchecked after the initial download. I've tried toggling EAC and UNET and nothing seems to help me get past the hang. I've verified my 7 Day game via steam, uninstalled an reinstalled. I made sure I have Alpha 16.4. My friend did everything the same and he was able to download the mod without direct download just fine and it loads fine. However, he is using Windows 10. I have disabled Avast during all this.

Any suggestions?

this seems to be happening a lot lately, ive had to help several friends with these issues. i cant tell you how many times we've deleted and tried again over and over.. sometimes checking "download from steam" has helped.

- - - Updated - - -

If you use a solar bank in combination with battery bank to power up the insect lights on your field. In the night when solar bank switches to battery bank the light's on the field are off. You have to switch the battery bank off and on again to let them work properly.

This was just a graphic glitch, like they were on, but you just couldnt tell. some times walking out of the chunk and back in would turn them back on, sort of like how spotlights behave...

or were your plants dying?

This was just a graphic glitch, like they were on, but you just couldnt tell. some times walking out of the chunk and back in would turn them back on, sort of like how spotlights behave...

or were your plants dying?

sadly it is not an optical glitch, the plants are dying and get insect infected

This is, what I've been experiencing with them. No infested plants, lights turning on without intervention after leaving the region and returning or after relogging.

Now, it's perfectly possible, that two similar glitches exist and also there's a small chance, that I've just been incredibly lucky and although I had the lights turned off on 120 plants repeatedly, none of them got randomly infested.

Whatever the case, I believe it's worth a closer examination and hope a solution can be achieved easily.

In the last few days, I tried to trigger this on my fields again, but as always, if you're waiting for a bug to appear, you're probably going to wait a long time, lol.

So, what I'm wondering is two things:

Do people that experience crop infestation also find their lights turn on without actively restarting the lights via switch?

And also: Why doesn't this happen on my field anymore?

Edited by Katlima (see edit history)

This is, what I've been experiencing with them. No infested plants, lights turning on without intervention after leaving the region and returning or after relogging.

Now, it's perfectly possible, that two similar glitches exist and also there's a small chance, that I've just been incredibly lucky and although I had the lights turned off on 120 plants repeatedly, none of them got randomly infested.

Whatever the case, I believe it's worth a closer examination and hope a solution can be achieved easily.

In the last few days, I tried to trigger this on my fields again, but as always, if you're waiting for a bug to appear, you're probably going to wait a long time, lol.

So, what I'm wondering is two things:

Do people that experience crop infestation also find their lights turn on without actively restarting the lights via switch?

And also: Why doesn't this happen on my field anymore?

I'm pretty sure I've seen instances where the light turning off is not just a graphical glitch. Try the following test. Attach the solar panel to the battery bank. Attach the insect/rodent light to the battery bank. Attach a fridge to the battery bank. Stay at the setup in the morning and watch the insect/rodent lights flip off. Now, drag the cursor (with the power tool) in hand and see if there's power to the fridge. Then try one of these two things. Leave the area for a long time, say 3 days to a week and come back and see if there is rotten food in the fridge (make sure the fridge has room beforehand obviously). Try putting something that spoils fast in the fridge. You can also just stay there and wait for 3-7 days and see what happens to the farm/fridge.

I've seen instance(s) where I had the above setup, left the area for 3-4 days and came back to see the rodent lights off, empty farm and rotten food in my fridge.

I am out of town right now so I can't do this test though I have experienced it in my world a long time ago. That is why I always come back at night time ensure none of my food spoils in the morning. I have too much (good) food to lose lol. Dozens upon dozens upon dozens of apple pies and similar amounts of that sphagetti with the sauce.

Edit: Try it on single player since servers might behave differently.

Edited by PPanda0421
Noted SP vs MP (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure I've seen instances where the light turning off is not just a graphical glitch. Try the following test. Attach the solar panel to the battery bank. Attach the insect/rodent light to the battery bank. Attach a fridge to the battery bank. Stay at the setup in the morning and watch the insect/rodent lights flip off. Now, drag the cursor (with the power tool) in hand and see if there's power to the fridge. Then try one of these two things. Leave the area for a long time, say 3 days to a week and come back and see if there is rotten food in the fridge (make sure the fridge has room beforehand obviously). Try putting something that spoils fast in the fridge. You can also just stay there and wait for 3-7 days and see what happens to the farm/fridge.

I've seen instance(s) where I had the above setup, left the area for 3-4 days and came back to see the rodent lights off, empty farm and rotten food in my fridge.

I am out of town right now so I can't do this test though I have experienced it in my world a long time ago. That is why I always come back at night time ensure none of my food spoils in the morning. I have too much (good) food to lose lol. Dozens upon dozens upon dozens of apple pies and similar amounts of that sphagetti with the sauce.

Edit: Try it on single player since servers might behave differently.

I'm currently using this setup:

Solar bank with 3x600 panel on the surface, switch chimney connecting down vertically in the same chunk, everything else on bedrock level. Battery bank has a random collection of 4 green to purple batteries.

Connections are this:

solar bank -> switch (x6) -> battery bank

battery bank -> switch -> fridge

battery bank -> switch -> insect light -> rodent repeller

Everything turned on.

When the early morning arrives (3:59 a.m. to 4:00 a.m.) we can observe the visual effect on both the insect light and rodent repeller change so they look turned off. Without intervention and having a wire tool in hand, all of the appliances show powered when hovered over. On restarting the game, the insect light and rodent repeller show the correct visual effects again.

For this quick test, I can provide some screenshots.

I have pretty much the same setup running this way for several ingame months, not once, but four times. Twice on my laptop, twice on my home pc. For the kitchen and for the survivor village. The screenshots are from my laptop as well, which explains the graphics quality, please excuse.

I've experienced the visual glitch, which it for me luckily seems to be, reproducably every morning for months ingame and most of the time it has been ignored without intervention, seeing the lights turn on again not only after re-entering the game, but also after re-entering the base after looting or horde night adventures.

However, at the end of last year, I was playing a different save on a harddrive that has since perished and I DID experience crop spoiling there, though the setup was pretty much identical.

I've been playing singleplayer exclusively all the time.

On the last image of my screenshots you see a generator bank near the insect lights. That one hasn't been connected since I got my hands on good solar panels.

edit: In your situation, I'd recommend the following:

1. Put the best 6 batteries you can find in your battery bank and have it powered by a generator with a good fuel tank (small generator gives 1500 instead of 1000 on the generator bank, no idea about the diesel generator, haven't built one in a while). Powering only the insect lights and rodent repeller.

2. Produce only small amounts of food and then store them where it doesn't spoil. I know it's considered cheating and we don't talk about details here, but I'm sure you know what I mean. In your case, you're experiencing a bug AND you already built anything needed that should guarantee you unspoiled food AND you're in singleplayer. So in my personal opinion I can see nothing wrong with doing that. Alternatively, turn off food spoiling the moment you acquire solar panels. If you know how that's done.

edit 2: I got three questions now, PPanda0421:

1. If you did the same test (wait for the insect lights to visually turn off in the morning), will hovering over it with a wire tool show it powered or not?

2. Since this turned from a real bug (in December) to a visual glitch (right now) for me, is it possible that it also changed for you and you're over careful now, because you experienced spoiled crops and food in the past?

3. Are you aware that insect infestation will appear on your crops with fully functional insect lights, if you leave mature plants unharvested for too long?

How to craft weapon part ?

Hello and already a big thank you for this wonderful MOD.

But here I am blocked on the manufacture of weapons parts.

I have recipe (for a long shotgun barrel I need 5 forged steel). I have them, I have the skill "weapon blacksmith" at MAX level, I have the weapon station but I don't have the "make" button that appears.

Thank you very very very much for your answer :)

Hey guys this mod looks awesome

Currently I am building a dedi server out of a dell t7400 calling it the new order and this is a mod I would like to use with some additions with your permission that is and some advice on creation of models ect I can list the additions if you would like me to

Hello and already a big thank you for this wonderful MOD.

But here I am blocked on the manufacture of weapons parts.

I have recipe (for a long shotgun barrel I need 5 forged steel). I have them, I have the skill "weapon blacksmith" at MAX level, I have the weapon station but I don't have the "make" button that appears.

Thank you very very very much for your answer :)

The "station" meant here is the blacksmith survivor NPC. Only the NPC can craft gun parts and most of the parts only after you "teach them" by sacrificing one or more instances of that item. Usually blacksmith crafts barrel and stock, the mechanic crafts parts and receivers. Not all guns can be built this way.

The gunsmithing skill is important nevertheless. You need it for some craftable weapons (blunderbuss) and it's required for unlocking a high maximum durability to which parts can be combined to.

I'm currently using this setup:

Solar bank with 3x600 panel on the surface, switch chimney connecting down vertically in the same chunk, everything else on bedrock level. Battery bank has a random collection of 4 green to purple batteries.

Connections are this:

solar bank -> switch (x6) -> battery bank

battery bank -> switch -> fridge

battery bank -> switch -> insect light -> rodent repeller

Everything turned on.

When the early morning arrives (3:59 a.m. to 4:00 a.m.) we can observe the visual effect on both the insect light and rodent repeller change so they look turned off. Without intervention and having a wire tool in hand, all of the appliances show powered when hovered over. On restarting the game, the insect light and rodent repeller show the correct visual effects again.

For this quick test, I can provide some screenshots.

I have pretty much the same setup running this way for several ingame months, not once, but four times. Twice on my laptop, twice on my home pc. For the kitchen and for the survivor village. The screenshots are from my laptop as well, which explains the graphics quality, please excuse.

I've experienced the visual glitch, which it for me luckily seems to be, reproducably every morning for months ingame and most of the time it has been ignored without intervention, seeing the lights turn on again not only after re-entering the game, but also after re-entering the base after looting or horde night adventures.

However, at the end of last year, I was playing a different save on a harddrive that has since perished and I DID experience crop spoiling there, though the setup was pretty much identical.

I've been playing singleplayer exclusively all the time.

On the last image of my screenshots you see a generator bank near the insect lights. That one hasn't been connected since I got my hands on good solar panels.

edit: In your situation, I'd recommend the following:

1. Put the best 6 batteries you can find in your battery bank and have it powered by a generator with a good fuel tank (small generator gives 1500 instead of 1000 on the generator bank, no idea about the diesel generator, haven't built one in a while). Powering only the insect lights and rodent repeller.

2. Produce only small amounts of food and then store them where it doesn't spoil. I know it's considered cheating and we don't talk about details here, but I'm sure you know what I mean. In your case, you're experiencing a bug AND you already built anything needed that should guarantee you unspoiled food AND you're in singleplayer. So in my personal opinion I can see nothing wrong with doing that. Alternatively, turn off food spoiling the moment you acquire solar panels. If you know how that's done.

edit 2: I got three questions now, PPanda0421:

1. If you did the same test (wait for the insect lights to visually turn off in the morning), will hovering over it with a wire tool show it powered or not?

2. Since this turned from a real bug (in December) to a visual glitch (right now) for me, is it possible that it also changed for you and you're over careful now, because you experienced spoiled crops and food in the past?

3. Are you aware that insect infestation will appear on your crops with fully functional insect lights, if you leave mature plants unharvested for too long?

Hi I've burned out on 7D2D and am playing another game atm. I have not done any of the tests I suggested since I just thought of them while I was out of town.

1. I have not done the test myself but the wire tool showing it powered is a good sign since that is a vanilla feature.

2. I came back to 7D2D (and A16) early January 2018 so what I saw is after what you witnessed.

3. No I have never seen infestation appear after with fully functional insect lights (using generator bank). Isn't that the point of insect lights? Seems like a bug to me if insects are appearing when crops are mature and insect lights are running.

My original setup used a generator with 6 engines. Why should I need to revert back to that when I have solar banks? My mechanic make level 600 solar cells. I have plenty of them (30+) lying around, might as well use them.

No need to disable spoilage or move around food to safe containers atm. Again I'm playing another (survival) game. I'm only lurking around these forums to give (hopefully) useful advice and my experiences.

Hi I've burned out on 7D2D and am playing another game atm. I have not done any of the tests I suggested since I just thought of them while I was out of town.

I'm currently trying out some different 7dtd mods and also playing a different game, the long dark. It's fun to see something else now and then, but I must say 7dtd especially in combination with the starvation mod is my favorite right now. I recently started an undead legacy save and the first impression is good, so far. Tried war of the walkers, didn't like it.

3. No I have never seen infestation appear after with fully functional insect lights (using generator bank). Isn't that the point of insect lights? Seems like a bug to me if insects are appearing when crops are mature and insect lights are running.

It does happen, though.

My original setup used a generator with 6 engines. Why should I need to revert back to that when I have solar banks? My mechanic make level 600 solar cells. I have plenty of them (30+) lying around, might as well use them.

The generator, if it only powers the insect light and rodent repeller, will run for days (one grey engine should do the trick, more or better engines only increase max power output). If you add a battery bank with some good batteries, that will increase the duration you can stay away from home even more. That's what I'd do. Of course playing something else entirely is a good solution as well :).

The "station" meant here is the blacksmith survivor NPC. Only the NPC can craft gun parts and most of the parts only after you "teach them" by sacrificing one or more instances of that item. Usually blacksmith crafts barrel and stock, the mechanic crafts parts and receivers. Not all guns can be built this way.

The gunsmithing skill is important nevertheless. You need it for some craftable weapons (blunderbuss) and it's required for unlocking a high maximum durability to which parts can be combined to.

Thank you very VERY much guy !!

Very fast answer.

Have a good day !

I'm currently trying out some different 7dtd mods and also playing a different game, the long dark. It's fun to see something else now and then, but I must say 7dtd especially in combination with the starvation mod is my favorite right now. I recently started an undead legacy save and the first impression is good, so far. Tried war of the walkers, didn't like it.

It does happen, though.

The generator, if it only powers the insect light and rodent repeller, will run for days (one grey engine should do the trick, more or better engines only increase max power output). If you add a battery bank with some good batteries, that will increase the duration you can stay away from home even more. That's what I'd do. Of course playing something else entirely is a good solution as well :).

I usually alternate between 7D2D, Project Zomboid and Rimworld. I'm playing modded PZ atm. Actually 7D2D's Ravenhearst mod v3.0 just came out a few days ago. I'm curious about it so I lurk around their forums/discord occasionally. Although I'll probably just watch let's plays instead of playing it. I hear it's kinda grindy or at least you need to do a lot of things to progress. I'm already content with Starvation.

I'm more concerned about food spoilage other than anything else. My base has 4 fridges attached to the solar/battery setup so I don't want to lose any food. Elsewhere I already have a generator attached to a insect/rodent devices on my main farm which is on a lake. I just plant things, turn on the generator and come back to a mature farm (no missing plants) even after a few days.

Yep vanilla PZ is good but when you add mods it becomes much more fun. Unfortunately the company who made PZ is very slow with updates which is why a lot of us play with mods.

Thank you very VERY much guy !!

Very fast answer.

Have a good day !

You too! Have a good day and have fun with your survivors! :)

I usually alternate between 7D2D, Project Zomboid and Rimworld. I'm playing modded PZ atm. Actually 7D2D's Ravenhearst mod v3.0 just came out a few days ago. I'm curious about it so I lurk around their forums/discord occasionally. Although I'll probably just watch let's plays instead of playing it. I hear it's kinda grindy or at least you need to do a lot of things to progress. I'm already content with Starvation.

Haven't tried Ravenhearst yet. The grindiness is what turned war of the walkers frustrating pretty quickly. Not saying it's a bad thing, it's just not what I enjoy. It's a popular mod. Haven't looked into Project Zomboid at all, not even watched gameplays.

I'm more concerned about food spoilage other than anything else. My base has 4 fridges attached to the solar/battery setup so I don't want to lose any food. Elsewhere I already have a generator attached to a insect/rodent devices on my main farm which is on a lake. I just plant things, turn on the generator and come back to a mature farm (no missing plants) even after a few days.

In the beginning, when I started starvation, I've been obsessing over food. With the mod title and the food spoiling, it looks like the main focus. But that definitely shifted for me. Compared to other mods and even vanilla, I feel not-starving is particularly easy in starvation. But starvation is challenging, in a good way and for a much longer time than other mods. Setting up farms and survivors, the illnesses and sanity and the added wildlife and the bandits and boss zombies. At the point in game where you feel pretty much done elsewhere, in starvation the fun begins. Because then you go and take over a nuclear power plant or get your exo suit, roam the nuclear zones, take out difficult poi for loot and finally maybe even ... get into beekeeping, haha. And all that without gating stuff you really need to progress to the point of inaccessibility.

Infestation is a probability. Remediations like bug lights reduce that probability, but not to zero.

I always stumble when setting up modded servers I grabbed files from the hub and I get this error in the log. Can someone spot my stupid mistake?:

2017-10-22T08:52:25 94.839 INF StartAsServer

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at NGuiWdwInGameHUD.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

2017-10-22T08:52:25 95.006 INF createWorld: Navezgane, My Game, GameModeSurvivalMP

at Block.GetBlockValue (System.String _blockName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WorldBiomes.ZC (Byte , System.String , System.Xml.XmlElement , Boolean ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WorldBiomes.XC (System.Xml.XmlDocument , Boolean ) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at WorldBiomes..ctor (System.Xml.XmlDocument _genxml, Boolean _instantiateReferences) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameManager+WQ.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I am getting this issue too and mine was a servermod installed by the server. so i need to bypass the rented servers Starvation install and manually install it?

You too! Have a good day and have fun with your survivors! :)

Haven't tried Ravenhearst yet. The grindiness is what turned war of the walkers frustrating pretty quickly. Not saying it's a bad thing, it's just not what I enjoy. It's a popular mod. Haven't looked into Project Zomboid at all, not even watched gameplays.

In the beginning, when I started starvation, I've been obsessing over food. With the mod title and the food spoiling, it looks like the main focus. But that definitely shifted for me. Compared to other mods and even vanilla, I feel not-starving is particularly easy in starvation. But starvation is challenging, in a good way and for a much longer time than other mods. Setting up farms and survivors, the illnesses and sanity and the added wildlife and the bandits and boss zombies. At the point in game where you feel pretty much done elsewhere, in starvation the fun begins. Because then you go and take over a nuclear power plant or get your exo suit, roam the nuclear zones, take out difficult poi for loot and finally maybe even ... get into beekeeping, haha. And all that without gating stuff you really need to progress to the point of inaccessibility.

Haha we're similiar. I played starvation mainly because of the different crops and food recipes you make. Plus you can farm animals and milk cows! Electricity was also a thing (before A16 came out) in starvation A15 although it was a little buggy. Settlement NPCs is/was a nice feature as well. You should get yourself a queen and start beekeeping! It's fun. I have over 20+ beehives and am overflowing (around 2 chests of each item) with all the beehive products which is how I'm able to make all those apple pies! :).

As for Project Zomboid if you like making meals/drinks in games, Project Zomboid with the Hydrocraft mod is your thing! There are literally hundreds of food/drink recipes you can make. There is also husbandry in the Hydrocraft mod which includes cows, pigs, horses, donkeys, etc. There's also beekeeping among other things. PZ is pretty cheap as well. I got it for $15 I think and have 1400+ hours in it, most of which was playing with the Hydrocraft mod and other mods. Be warned though PZ is a permadeath game, meaning if you die you die but your next character can continue on in the same world. However, there are ways around permadeath ;). Try watching some PZ videos to see if you want to see what it's about. I think there is a free demo as well.

You should get yourself a queen and start beekeeping!

I do have queen bees. The bees are not the issue. I can't find the shirt! lol

As for Project Zomboid if you like making meals/drinks in games, Project Zomboid with the Hydrocraft mod is your thing!

It might actually be! Definitely worth checking out those videos at least, I guess. Even though I'm pretty happy with 7dtd right now. I've also been playing minecraft with modpacks, though compared to 7dtd, they often include a selection of very similar mods and that means, if I get bored of 7dtd at one point, I'll probably chose something non zombie sandbox survival to focus on next. I've also been playing, and having a lot of fun, with games like path of exile and pubg, even world of warcraft and arcade style browser games.

apple pies
Apple pies are fantastic! In real life too, I mean. One of my favorites. You're definitely master of the kitchen. I've recently cut down on food production to have more time to experiment and explore. I need tons of corn bread for my survivors and tons of wheat for my chickens, so I might just eat bread myself, mostly. I'm also producing the starvation food cans and store them away, if I have meat lying around. I like them, but I rarely make more than a dozen or so at a time, because I hate watching the canned food machine work. Edited by Katlima (see edit history)

Could someone please explain the seasons in more detail - I already tried searching the thread.

It has been Winter the entire time I have been on my server, it has been a frustrating nightmare of constantly being cold and wet with no alligators to kill for a raincoat. I finally figured out a +81 temperature buff of armour that reduced some of the annoyance.

The month has finally ticked over to July, and instantly the weather is different. There is no more snow on the ground so I can actually see bird nests and aloe, and I have seen 2 boars already!

However I seem to be getting extreme spikes of heat and cold, is it Spring now? Will I finally be able to plant crops and fruit trees and maybe start an animal pen?

Could someone please explain the seasons in more detail - I already tried searching the thread.

Try pages 113+ in this thread. Noone will be able to tell if and how the seasons have been modified on your server, only the server admin, so you better ask, if and how they adjusted the seasons.

You always want to carry at least some clothing for temperature spikes like for example tank top and hoodie and even better poncho and puffer coat. The weather is challenging and it's meant to be that way. You can adjust it or, if you play on a server, pick one with less extreme seasons, if you don't enjoy it.

It has been Winter the entire time I have been on my server, it has been a frustrating nightmare of constantly being cold and wet with no alligators to kill for a raincoat. I finally figured out a +81 temperature buff of armour that reduced some of the annoyance.

The month has finally ticked over to July, and instantly the weather is different. There is no more snow on the ground so I can actually see bird nests and aloe, and I have seen 2 boars already!

However I seem to be getting extreme spikes of heat and cold, is it Spring now? Will I finally be able to plant crops and fruit trees and maybe start an animal pen?

If your server did not edit the server files (as mine has not) then this is how we've noticed our weather.: Jan & Feb are pretty "default" weather from vanilla. March & April seem to be fall, and very wet, we get tons and tons of rain, and it starts getting a little chilly. May the rai slows down and we get colder with a little snow. June & July are very cold and lots of snow. August is a bit warmer, just still some snow. September & October seem to be spring, warmer, a bit wet. November is less wet, warmer. We haven't really noticed and extra hot temps for Nov or December. So I don't know if summers are set for really hot right now or not, or if it's just where we live. I do know it's warm enough to need a poncho and a tee-shirt, but I havent needed to change armor or wear shorts or drink cool drinks.

hope this helps.