Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

My computer is pretty beast and I have the same problem while riding the mini bike.

Same. I also run a linux server out of my house that me and 2 others play. It's powered by an old AMD phenomX4 965 BE at 3.6 Ghz. At first i thought it might be the hardware but once i experienced it in a SP game, i knew it was something to do with the code.

Edit: it only happens when exploring unexplored portions of the map. Once I uncovered that part of the map it's a non-issue.

Edit: it only happens when exploring unexplored portions of the map. Once I uncovered that part of the map it's a non-issue.

Same with me and only have a single players rgw world. When going into new areas.

Previously mentioned but do not know if MM noticed, creating lots of maps in the view area cause a out of memory error.

Ok. Well I don't suppose we've tested it with guys running in every direction on bikes loading tons of chunks from the server. We certainly have a huge list of optimizations we will get to by the time we're gold and hopefully don't encounter much more problems with vehicles.

About the Max speed

You added a Command to Prerender the map, that helps much i read

(But have that command not at hand)

visitmap -10000 -10000 10000 10000

That will map your entire world. The 4 numbers are coordinates to define a rectangle/square to be mapped. Seems to take about 30 hours to do the whole map on my server. My bike hasn't caused any chunk loading issues since I used this command.

Maybe thats why the different experience

If there is going to be faction controlled territory I'm sure it will be limited to Navezgane. Random gen will just be random.

you could do Faction control on RWG. using rules like North of 0,0 is PVP or "Faction Red" and South of 0,0 or possibly pie chart so everyone can get to the center. I would say I want 4 faction zones and you would cut into 90 degree pie pieces.

we do something like this today using a server mod that reads the player location and enables/disables PVP and other triggers. both CBSM and Botman support that feature.

We occasionally like to restart. Any idea when the next forced restart will drop. Don't want to restart just to have to do it a week later. As an aside, still love the game 3 years later. That is rare for me to say about a game.

I think/hope this time they let them the needed time to make 16.4 Bugfree.

We will play it a longer time.

Oh look another troll who can't read. I already posted on twitter and here too I think, that vehicles have a brand new physics system, so no more falling through the world. They don't go too fast for chunks, unless you are modding or playing on an unsupported system.

Omg the master of trolls calling troll to another ... weres the beard, was it tasty ?

Those are some good ideas. Hopefully we can get some more ways in.
That would be great. I can see all kinds of cool play coming from being able to do more with knowledge of the player state.

/me crosses fingers.

---

On another subject here is a question from the Steam side:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/0/1484358860937594376/?tscn=1507913133#c1484358860942021898

I wonder if/how the bicycle will affect your athletics skill. Also wonder if you break you leg, if it will hinder riding it in any way.

I just combed through the Dev Tracker and am officially stoked for A17. Right now I am on my most complete game (49 Days) of A16 and feel like I still have weeks left to play. I haven't even begun to build a custom house yet. Waiting patiently for A17 will be easier, thanks TFP!

The more selective updates from TFP about features going in the game seems to have solved some of the forum chaos as well.

In Pimps We Trust!

Really enjoying the A17 info. Looks awesome!

As for zip lines and the behemoth. Meh, no big deal. The Pimps have things set so that people can mod. Once the game goes gold they can play with that stuff. Even if they don't, some moder will. There are people who want that kind of challenge. It will more than likely show up later in mods.

The new art rocks. Thanks for sharing MM.

A17 is going to be fun.

~Obuthan

Does the visitmap command uncover the entire map? or is the fog of war still in place?

From the player perspective, fog of war still exists. However, I use the map feature on CBSM and you can see the entire map on that website. The additional server load doesn't seem to be any worse than having an extra player. It goes along the map, fully loading one chunk at a time, and takes over a day to finish the task.

From the player perspective, fog of war still exists. However, I use the map feature on CBSM and you can see the entire map on that website. The additional server load doesn't seem to be any worse than having an extra player. It goes along the map, fully loading one chunk at a time, and takes over a day to finish the task.

what about ram usage? I feel like this would drastically increase ram.

One more question, can the command be ran from the linux terminal? Specifically if installed via Alloc's scripts and fixes? Or do i need to run as admin via console within the game?

Last time talked about visitmap the one who had experience said he needed a restart all few hours, so maybe you should simply make it more like (as i said no own experience so maybe my code is wrong)

visitmap -10000 -10000 0 0

visitmap -10000 0 0 10000

visitmap 0 -10000 10000 0

visitmap 0 0 10000 10000

and restart after each 1/4 of the map

Those are some good ideas. Hopefully we can get some more ways in.

If there's going to be enhancements to the buff system, it would be great if some detail regarding where a buff came from was provided as well. A player, player id, NPC, NPC type ID, faction, stuff like that. There's cases where it would be advantageous to a mod where teams, factions, and the like are considered when a buff is applied.

One more question, can the command be ran from the linux terminal? Specifically if installed via Alloc's scripts and fixes? Or do i need to run as admin via console within the game?

I haven't dug into the nuts & bolts of it, but where I didn't see any performance hits while running it, my assumption would be that it deals with one chunk at a time, generates it, loads it in ram, then writes the region file to the hard drive and takes it out of ram while moving on to the next chunk. So my guess would be that the ram usage is equivalent to a single chunk at one time if it was programmed properly.

I ran it from the command console in the game. Haven't tried it from an outside terminal, but it may work. The good part is that after you issue the command from within the game, it will continue running until it's done, even if you log off. The only thing I found that caused it to pause was when my server did one of its automated reboots, or there is a command that you can issue to cancel it. When the server rebooted, I was able to figure out where it had stopped and modify the command to pick up where it had left off.

Archived