Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

been playing for a bit now with the new update... level 3 inteligence, going to level 4 (and i assume 5) needs 2 skill points instead of 1. and considering how many good perks are scatterd in each tree, makes going straight for the a forge from the get go vastly less appealing. XD

You should definitely get a pretty big boost in indoor FPS if your GPU was the bottleneck. The reflection workaround that Faatal did releases a lot of resources. I turned them off just to see and GPU usage goes way down -my GPU even went into P2 mode and down-clocked out of boredom. The textures are not even as dark as I'd imagined they would be with it off. Perfectly fine workaround.

Nice! Really good to hear. So you turned reflections off? I think I had them off already.

So far.. In my opinion being able to get a forge on day 1 is lame. Takes the challenge out and can completely remove the stone axe on day 1

Just removed the challenge completely imo. I loved the grind for levels and point emphasis on what you want.

Maybe you could have made forge level 10 instead of 20? Instead of removing levels altogether.

Also, is the game more saturated/more color. Looks better..

I just loved the player leveling and gated skills. Gave a reason to grind and a carrot on the stick to go after. Now it's just points with no regards to levels.

Why do we even argue about if it is worth to rush the forge? Obviously it is. What other perks would match the value of a full set of iron gear on day 1 or 2. It is for sure always the better option to first get proper gear with 0 risk at all (just hitting bolders) and then start exploring and leveling other stuff afterwards. There is no scenario where it would make sense to do something else first if you wanna progress as fast as possible.

I just loved the player leveling and gated skills. Gave a reason to grind and a carrot on the stick to go after. Now it's just points with no regards to levels.

Now its even more of a grind because u need more lvls to get what u want. ok u dont if u are just happy with a forge and steel tools but no other skills at all. Last patch it was easyer to get all the perks u need but now u need to be like lvl 150 in singleplayer to get what u need.

What's the problem with the forge earlier available ? You can find forges everywhere. I even don't bother with that skill in the beginning, I have a solid character to build first. Set the zombies move "run" at day and "sprint" at night. "Run" is slower that in A16 and very enjoyable now. You'll have other concerns than smelting stuff and crashing boulders.

Roland, is it possible to approximate date, when stable version will come out? I dont have much time for playing the game, and becouse of new versions of experimental, so far I had never been able to reach day 14. I had bike once. I would like to play longer, so I understand I should wait for stable version, I am just curious if this is matter of days, weeks, months?

Can we do something about wellness system ? In my opinion the old system was better. What do you think guys ?

I kind of like the new system because it makes sense. And it necessities to manage thirst and hunger more often as long as you don't choose the better metabolism perk. It's a choice and I like choices.

What's the problem with the forge earlier available ? You can find forges everywhere. I even don't bother with that skill in the beginning, I have a solid charachter to build first. Set the zombies move "run" at day and "sprint" at night. "Run" is slower that in A16 and very enjoyable now. You'll have other concerns than smelting stuff and crashing boulders.

The problem with unlocking the forge on day 1 is that it is a stage-defining piece of technology. You basically have the stone-age before you unlock it (stone axe, stone shovel, wooden club. That kind of technology). After unlocking the forge you have access to hammers, axes, shovels, pickaxes, iron traps, buckets and the like. You've entered the iron age, so to speak. So by being able to build a forge on day one you completely bypass the early game. This drastically reduces the value of these tools, since you can get them on day 1-2 already.

Furthermore, if you rush the forge from day 1, you're already on INT 5, so not only will you be able to make iron tools, you'll be able to make iron tools of quality level 3. That's quite a big leap from using a stone axe. Yes, you can loot iron tools from POI's, or you can get them from a trader upon completion of a quest. But why would you want to loot/get a level 1-2 tool if you can make level 3 tools from day 1?

Also; what's up with being able to make forged iron without an anvil? Are we hammering the heated iron flat on our manly chests?

What's the problem with the forge earlier available ? You can find forges everywhere. I even don't bother with that skill in the beginning, I have a solid character to build first. Set the zombies move "run" at day and "sprint" at night. "Run" is slower that in A16 and very enjoyable now. You'll have other concerns than smelting stuff and crashing boulders.

That's exactly the issue, only way to make the game harder now is set zombies to run . Before current patch that was plenty ways to make the game easier for those complaining. Now it's simply too easy, again same issue we've since A16.

Sadly I completely lost interest in A17.

That's exactly the issue, only way to make the game harder now is set zombies to run . Before current patch that was plenty ways to make the game easier for those complaining. Now it's simply too easy, again same issue we've since A16.

Well.. Personally I'm not going that far. I'm just afraid that I will loose interest in 7D2D as quickly as with A16 because of these changes.

If iron tools were extremely lame without mods, could be a solution ?

Yeah that could work. But, as far as I know, they currently don't. Not in the slightest.

Is the loot-rate for guns adjusted over the past 2 builds? Since I'm still getting quite a lot of guns.

too easy? reach level 70 on insane and all sleepers will be green ferals a lot of them chasing you

But at what opportunity cost? I have other things to advance that are more important to me than a Day 1 forge. Just because you can spend all your initial points for Day 1 forge doesn't mean that's the only way to play it.

They ignore this. Cherry picking at it's best. It's a tradeoff and I think its an interesting one. Do i sacrafice cardio 1, on day 1, to get iron tools I probably dont need so early. What about packmule? Healing factor?

The forges arent going to just fall out of the sky people. Lol

For a new player, I'm pretty sure the vanilla settings (nomad difficulty, walking z at day, running at night) are not so easy. For us who know the game and all the mechanics and every step necessary to optimize our character, those setting are way too easy AND we should not play in this mode. That's why I insist : raise the difficulty and select running zombies at day : they don't run, they just walk faster. Reduce the loot rate.

And if it's not enough : xml files are your friends. Play with them.

They ignore this. Cherry picking at it's best. It's a tradeoff and I think its an interesting one. Do i sacrafice cardio 1, on day 1, to get iron tools I probably dont need so early. What about packmule? Healing factor?

My answer is yes to all your questions. Haven't taken cardio or healing factor before level 20 in any of my playthroughs yet. Pack-mule might be an option; but pack-mule vs. iron armour/iron tools? That's not even a fair comparison.

Maybe there should be a poll after a week, to see what people invest their first points into.

My answer is yes to all your questions. Haven't taken cardio or healing factor before level 20 in any of my playthroughs yet. Pack-mule might be an option; but pack-mule vs. iron armour/iron tools? That's not even a fair comparison.

Maybe there should be a poll after a week, to see what people invest their first points into.

We could not play any differently. I find my iron tools. You can't find stamina regen or inventory space. Iron armor is trash lol.

Haven't been able to find an answer to this anywhere else, but which weapons are considered 'Light' for flurry of blows, and which are considered 'Heavy' (other than the sledgehammer) for Heavy Metal.

Afaik the sledge hammer is the only heavy weapon. I have a friend that looked into the XML at the axe and said it was medium. I'm guessing fob works with clubs and machete?

You literally need 3 points for a forge (you get 4 for launching the game), that gives a power spike bigger than anything else at day 1.

Cardio at day 1 is questionable at least. All my A17 spawns were close to a town. Edit: didnt need to run anywhere because of that. Maybe you meant rex?

We could not play any differently. I find my iron tools. You can't find stamina regen or inventory space. Iron armor is trash lol.

Hehe true. I haven't even played the newest build yet, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt of course. But when I read that one could get a forge going on day 1-2, I got all kinds of nasty flashback to A16.4.

Hehe true. I haven't even played the newest build yet, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt of course. But when I read that one could get a forge going on day 1-2, I got all kinds of nasty flashback to A16.4.

Well full disclosure, I haven't either lol.

Archived