Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Yeah just tried it on warrior.

Day 1 all resources for the forge, early day 2 the level for it. Cleared 2 pois, not even a quest, and with that money i just bought food, drinks, nails and tape for the bellow so that wasnt an issue at all. With only one more skillpoint and probably only one more day i can even build a bicycle.

So overall 8 skillpoints for day 3 forge and bike to start into the game with.

Yep, but if you play with 90 mn day long and zombies walk or jog in the day, "warrior" is just the nickname Trader Rekt gave you - and as noticed in the patchnote, his kindness is a bug.

imo I think its getting a little bit overboard, and broaching too far on the gamey side, with how many units of raw meat it takes to make a single consumable food atm. I would love to see them dial it back some, so it doesn't feel like you're needing, and eating, a meat locker full of raw meat like that.

I think they could add something like "Tainted Meat" to all the animals harvest, and dial back the amount of raw meat you get, then adjust the recipes in needing less, but still maintain the their effectiveness when consumed. It would still maintain the need to hunt just as much as we currently do, with the same results.

It could also lead into another perk segment "Field Dressing" they can add, that makes the amount of 'tainted' meat less, and the raw 'Viable' meat more, as you put more points into it.

It could also give that much more of a feeling, their 7d2d universe, is that much more messed up, if animals were also drastically affected by the change that brought about the Zombie Apocalypse.

Again just my opinion, still think the game overall is great to play.

While I do not expect exact accuracy, I do agree it is hard to fathom how an Elk can last a family of 4 all winter in real life, but in 7Days2Die an Elk will only get me a few pieces of Bacon to go with my Eggs.

Maybe scale back the amount of meat needed to make things, keep the meat drops high and then lower the spawn rate of the wild animals. (Tuning is hard and usually comes later, I know)

Honestly I think is pretty nicely balanced. I wont be forging on day 1 but I can see the arguments. But at the end of the day 7 skill points not being spent for what, an iron axe, and that's for attacking. Pick and shovel not needed, I wont be farming mats with so many juicy exp bags out there to kill. Iron armor without mods or perks is bad.

Yeah we're making some adjustments but its getting there. I thought Gazz redid passive XP, I was getting hundreds from one resource rock the other day so killing z's isn't the only way to get decent XP. It should always be the best IMO, or quests, because those are the most challenging activities.

Yep, but if you play with 90 mn day long and zombies walk or jog in the day, "warrior" is just the nickname Trader Rekt gave you - and as noticed in the patchnote, his kindness is a bug.

Why would i increase time for a day when i wanna test how many days it would take in a normal game? And i could also do it on insane in maybe a day more, i have over 1k hours on the game and play it since its release on steam. Good old times when we used boards to craft sticks you know.

The one thing I don't like about the current hunger/food system is waiting until you're appropriately hungry to eat (and just living with the stamina penalty) so you don't waste food.

Understand that being able to overeat isn't an ideal mechanic, but it's annoying that using high quality food like bacon and eggs requires you live with 20%, 30%, stamina losses unless you waste a significant portion of the food value. Doesn't seem ideal either.

I guess this needs to replace the forum permissions message at the top because I keep posting about it and people keep being ignorant of it. Here goes another try:

The game stores the extra amount of food you eat over 100%. You do NOT have to wait to lose 30% of your max stamina to make eating a meat stew worthwhile. You can eat a meat stew when you are at 100% max stamina and still get the benefit of it. If you have a stack of 3-4 grilled meat left after reaching 100% go ahead and eat the rest to clear an inventory slot. You'll get credit for it and your bar will stay at 100% until the extra food points have been used up by max stamina damage.

Overeating might not be ideal but it is a real mechanic in the game since A17 first released to experimental.

Can anyone say me how i am supposed to survive a start deep in the snow biome if all cloting i can get is for Desert ?

Use the 24 hour carebare temperature immunity buff to travel out of the biome. You literally can't die from temperature effects until Day 2 and the snow biome isn't so large that you can't get out in a day.

Can anyone say me how i am supposed to survive a start deep in the snow biome if all cloting i can get is for Desert ?

Head to the trader in the snow biome and take the two munitions boxes, then head south. You will waste time starting in the snow, but if the loot was good, its worth it.

I guess this needs to replace the forum permissions message at the top because I keep posting about it and people keep being ignorant of it. Here goes another try:

The game stores the extra amount of food you eat over 100%. You do NOT have to wait to lose 30% of your max stamina to make eating a meat stew worthwhile. You can eat a meat stew when you are at 100% max stamina and still get the benefit of it. If you have a stack of 3-4 grilled meat left after reaching 100% go ahead and eat the rest to clear an inventory slot. You'll get credit for it and your bar will stay at 100% until the extra food points have been used up by max stamina damage.

Overeating might not be ideal but it is a real mechanic in the game since A17 first released to experimental.

Unless I'm misreading the buff, you can only overeat to an amount of 25 food units. Once you hit 99% Stamina (full), any overeating is limited to 25 foodAmount units. Beyond 25 is wasted.

<!-- how much you can overeat -->
		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfBuffUpdate" action="ModifyCVar" cvar="foodAmount" operation="set" value="25">
			<requirement name="CVarCompare" cvar="foodAmount" operation="GT" value="25"/>
			<requirement name="StatComparePercModMaxToMax" stat="stamina" operation="GTE" value=".99"/>
		</triggered_effect>

So food can be anywhere from 25% (Stamina 100 @ 100% + 25 foodAmount) to 12.5% (Stamina 200 @ 100% + 25 foodAmount).

Water is hard capped at 160 waterAmount. As to what matches to 100% on the display that will require a test since it does not use some other stat's values to modify.

The only issue with this is that the UI doesn't tell us this mechanic exists. People (appropriately) believe that once you've maxed out the staminal bar at 100% it's capped. There's no indication that staminal is really at 112% so we have no way to know that there's stamina to burn before needing to eat, and no way to know how much.

It seems kind of silly to have something like 112% stamina, of course, so it would make a lot more sense to keep the existing mechanic in place but change all the number so the max amount you can "overeat" to is 100% stamina and you don't start seeing performance impact from loss of stamina/hunger effect until 70% stamina (or whatever the equivalent number is). Then a simple color change or other UI element (glow? flashing?) could let the player know they're now in the danger zone where losing more stamina impacts their character's abilities.

The only issue with this is that the UI doesn't tell us this mechanic exists. People (appropriately) believe that once you've maxed out the staminal bar at 100% it's capped. There's no indication that staminal is really at 112% so we have no way to know that there's stamina to burn before needing to eat, and no way to know how much.

It seems kind of silly to have something like 112% stamina, of course, so it would make a lot more sense to keep the existing mechanic in place but change all the number so the max amount you can "overeat" to is 100% stamina and you don't start seeing performance impact from loss of stamina/hunger effect until 70% stamina (or whatever the equivalent number is). Then a simple color change or other UI element (glow? flashing?) could let the player know they're now in the danger zone where losing more stamina impacts their character's abilities.

There are some people who won’t notice no matter what you do. There are plenty of people who still haven’t realized that the stamina bar shows your hunger even though the percentages for hunger and stamina are almost exactly the same. Besides, the system is working similar to A16. It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. Also if you overeat you’ll notice it takes a long time for your stamina to decrease below 99% and the 99% indicator displays multiple times while you are overfed.

There are some people who won’t notice no matter what you do. There are plenty of people who still haven’t realized that the stamina bar shows your hunger even though the percentages for hunger and stamina are almost exactly the same.

All that really does is support the idea that the system is poorly designed or the UI is poorly designed or both. It should be obvious how hunger and stamina interact, and it isn't. Nor is it particularly intuitive.

Besides, the system is working similar to A16. It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise. Also if you overeat you’ll notice it takes a long time for your stamina to decrease below 99% and the 99% indicator displays multiple times while you are overfed.

In A16 we had a hunger bar that could be monitored separate from stamina. It was easy to learn the relationship because you could watch both change in real time. That's not the case in A17.

I have to agree with this, it wasn't apparent to me until I read about it here. It would make more sense for stamina to start draining a little later on as mentioned, otherwise it does appear to just drain immediately if you aren't aware of overeating.

All that really does is support the idea that the system is poorly designed or the UI is poorly designed or both. It should be obvious how hunger and stamina interact, and it isn't. Nor is it particularly intuitive.

In A16 we had a hunger bar that could be monitored separate from stamina. It was easy to learn the relationship because you could watch both change in real time. That's not the case in A17.

Just use red eagle's modlets to restore the food and water bars... thats what I've done, and I like the current system a LOT better.

I've got several hours into the latest build and I'm not deliberately trying to game the new system at all, just playing like normal.

Food and water have been tight, but not unmanageable. I haven't worried about unlocking the forge early or iron tools, because I always spend my early points in survival and defense.. stamina, archery, melee, chef, health restoration... that sort of thing. Once I know I can fight decently and get my basics of food and water, then I start looking to progress.

I got to my trader day 3, and lucked out with a working forge, workbench AND cement mixer, so my plan went well. I just found a (new?) mine PPI, and Royal Deluxe will probably love it!

This is the kind of poi alternatives I was hoping to either build or discover! Performance has improved, but until I see how bad horde nights are I'll reserve judgement.

I haven't seen any of the whacked out rgw issues we were seeing before (floating buildings and the like) so thats good.

I'm seeing a good mix of woodland and buildings now, so thats also a good thing. I haven't stumbled on a real town or city yet, but thats fine early game, and what we liked about a16.. exploring was a lot what we enjoyed.

I'm reading a lot of armchair quarterbacking without people even playing yet, which is disappointing. How can they respect and consider feedback without even giving the new adjustments a chance?

We'll start our personal mp game this evening, and we'll see how that unfolds... my wife usual puts points in farming and chef, and I usually tackle building and workstations.

I'm using to trader Jenner now, and don't want her voice changed.

the only issue I've seen at all so far if when you select the menu to exit game with the controller sometimes it doesn't focus properly to the menu options, but closing it and reopening it seems to cure it.

Still haven't found a santa hat, but the candy cane was a nice addition, and a good early discovery since its much better than the wood club.

I was having concerns about performance, but this build feels a lot better, and I LOVE the new ground texture! It looks like there is a bit too much orange edge around the cotton though.

The saturation makes the game feel a lot more vibrant now an alive. I think the water surface needs to be a little more transparent to tone the blue down a little, but like how its looking more than before.

Nice job FunPimps, and thanks for this nice holiday treat!

so this is good to know, I missed this mechanic of eating and wondered why when I pigged out I was full for a long time.

Question - is there a MAX? so I am at 100% and I need 20 Meat Stew, will that keep me full for an additional 800+ HP?

Hunger tied directly to Stamina in a 1-for-1 is simply counterintuitive and unnessesary.

The one 'gain' it provides is allowing the Stamina bar in hud to also represent the Hunger bar.

-- yet that gain isn't required. The 'double-bar' of the new grey-scale can be used to show Hunger.

--- Have the grey-scale or Hunger portion, darken the blue of Stamina where they overlap. So if Hunger is at 75% & Stamina is at 100% then the first 75% of the bar shows the darker blue while the portion from 75% to 100% shows the lighter blue.

Allow Stamina to fill to 100% until Hunger falls to say 25%, that's more in line with how we all go about our day.

Water as it relates to Staminas refill rate seems fine in current system.

Benefits of above: much more 'natural', less micro-mangement of hunger, -encourages- buying perks to make higher qual food, allows removal of overstuffing, and doesn't (have to) change amount of food used up doing x. It's just a sanity/QoL tweak.

Archived