Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Day 2 I have bacon and eggs, full set of iron tools (and a tier2 steel shovel) 120 stamina, and no forge (about to go wrench some stuff to get forged iron to repair them) (full sets of nice clothes and a duster because i looted instead of building a forge) oh and 2 sledgehammers

What is that supposed to mean? Your sim town got destroyed, or your concentrated effort on a bunker failed? Walls are a last line of defense, the front line of defense is you and your traps. I easily survived day 7 horde and had to increase zombies alive to 24 before I had got killed.

Pointless is an strong word. But with the lack of real xp from farming and building most people dont want to see themselves on day 5 only being level 10 or so. Killing zeds, looting new awesome pois and getting phat loot is where it's at in alpha 17.

This is starting to feel like zombie-Fortnite with all the gun and ammo drops. Day 1: Have 4 pistols, 1 shotgun, and a hunter rifle with scope. Also with 200+ in ammo - all from 2 POI's.

We land in random zone, pick up weapons and go!

On the flip side, i am liking the perk/attribute changes: Though my guy does feel very hungry and thirsty now.

We're still tuning things in. I'd noticed somewhere along the way that hunger became a complete non issue so we made an adjustment yesterday and might need time to get it just right.

What is that supposed to mean? Your sim town got destroyed, or your concentrated effort on a bunker failed? Walls are a last line of defense, the front line of defense is you and your traps. I easily survived day 7 horde and had to increase zombies alive to 24 before I had got killed.

Exactly. I made a tiny wooden shack with spikes on the outside and wood bars on top to shoot from, survived day 7 on Warrior without my walls coming down because me + spikes = death for them. Built an outer cobblestone wall with spikes for day 14/21, same result. Built one more for day 28, same result. It feels like real tower defense now, I'm loving it! I think some people were spoiled with A16's invincible wooden walls that didn't need defending and thought that's the only way to build a base lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Pointless is an strong word. But with the lack of real xp from farming and building most people dont want to see themselves on day 5 only being level 10 or so. Killing zeds, looting new awesome pois and getting phat loot is where it's at in alpha 17.

I do agree some xp should be given for wood, but once you start upgrading with iron/etc you get quite a bit of exp from that

I like that its a choice now. People who strive for a forge on day 1 are going to be suffering in every other area. There are so many better choices IMO on day 1-5 at least. I got mine on day 6 or so and still felt a little weaker than I'd like to be with no fortitude, no agility (100 stats) and not enough mining and strength perks I would need to start building a real base anyway. I'm finally pretty badass with a fireaxe and have a bicycle, but I'm in no hurry to advance to a minibike because of the hefty prices that are upcoming to unlock all of that.

Honestly I think is pretty nicely balanced. I wont be forging on day 1 but I can see the arguments. But at the end of the day 7 skill points not being spent for what, an iron axe, and that's for attacking. Pick and shovel not needed, I wont be farming mats with so many juicy exp bags out there to kill. Iron armor without mods or perks is bad.

Is the massive reduction in XP from gathering wood and stone really necessary? I thought XP gains were gonna be balanced? Now I get maybe 1-2 xp from destroying a single stage of a surface boulder.

all harvesting still broken, after reporting as bug in the past 3 builds i got an answer it's a work in progress.

I can provide some data collected today

without perks

-boulder

stone axe (14 dmg) - 60 stone/24 iron - 100s

iron pickaxe (42 dmg) - 56/24 - 45s

-900hp tree

stone axe (21 dmg) - 109 wood - 57s

iron fireaxe (60 dmg) - 55 - 34s

rex + mother lode + 69'er

-boulder

stone axe (16 dmg) - 36 stone/12 iron - 100s

iron pickaxe (50 dmg) - 36/12 - 40s

-900hp tree

stone axe (25 dmg) - 66 wood - 49s

iron fireaxe (60 dmg) - 129 - 27s

We're still tuning things in. I'd noticed somewhere along the way that hunger became a complete non issue so we made an adjustment yesterday and might need time to get it just right.

I nearly starved on day one...I ate at night 3 cans and 4 firegrilled meat and i was at 70 %

meele is deadly soaking your stamina and food

I think you might adjust it again.

do realise that this is not the only way to play and i even said that its also not the way i like to play. But yes i do think it is by far the best way to start into the game. And thats exactly the problem i have with it.If you want to progress as fast as possible you have to do exactly that.

Yeah, sure. Everyone else didn't put points into intelligence and can't see it because of stupiditiy :cocksure: How about first testing it?

I would say it is the most reliable way because you are not dependant on RNG to find or buy iron tools or find a working forge. It probably is a good idea for miners and a really bad idea for scavengers.

My impression from previous A17e builds is that stone age is over in the first few days any which way you play!

Even in single player I had most iron tools in the first ~2-5 days. Also if you don't need to spend all your first points into a forge you have points free to spend on strength and miner69er which makes the difference between stone tool and perk-less iron tool smaller.

And as a last point there are so many ways to gimp the (un-upgraded) forge to something that is suitable for the first days and that should be the way going forward:

1) Make the anvil something you can't build in the forge (at least initially) and make half the iron tools gated behind the forge. Not all because the forge should be desirable alone, but for example have just the axe craftable without anvil and the forge alone gets you more wood.

2) Make the anvil something you can't build in the forge (at least initially). Well, really, this is just so good as an early-game nerf it needs repeating.

3) Some or all iron tools could be in a different perk tree than the forge, or only on the next step of "hammer&forge". You might only get smelting and the hammer to build with the inital forge, anything more needs another perk point.

Found an issue that if you eat or drink while on the bicycle, it will delete the item as if it were used but will not give you the benefits from using said items. Your water will not replenish nor will your hunger decrease.

Did you ever eat while driving a bicycle? you need some skill not to avoid spoiling all the food and drink ;-)

Can we do something about wellness system ? In my opinion the old system was better. What do you think guys ?

I like the new system, but I think you take stamina damage *way* too easily. Hell, in b119 I was taking stamina damage doing absolutely nothing.

The point is, hunger is a early game thing. When you got a farm you are fine. ( If not get a bigger farm) but the early game gets a big fun hit, if you have to realy seriously avoid any stamina use at all... better shoot the zombie, less stamina, better don´t run, better dont mine.

I kinda like it, it makes food a priority. Need to hunt, or find fridges, or get to the trader and sell something. On the other hand food is plentiful if you make it a priority (didnt really have to at all in the last exp, it was taken care of almost automatically), fridges usually have meat stew and animals are more plentiful than previous alphas.

And it does make the perk viable now, and even the farming perk too.

Sitting still crouching and food doesnt drain at all too, i thought that was cool also.

I kinda like it, it makes food a priority. Need to hunt, or find fridges, or get to the trader and sell something. On the other hand food is plentiful if you make it a priority (didnt really have to at all in the last exp, it was taken care of almost automatically), fridges usually have meat stew and animals are more plentiful than previous alphas.

And it does make the perk viable now, and even the farming perk too.

Sitting still crouching and food doesnt drain at all too, i thought that was cool also.

really? animals are more scarce for me now than previously. I've had to scavenge like crazy for food and rush boar farms. It's a bit crazy. So this change will hurt me more due to lack of animals, hmmmm. Though have to hopefully get a hoe early on and start farming quickly, lol.

Also, tier POIs, is that mainly for POIs available to be a quest or is there actual tiers? I thought at first it was actual hardness of a POI, however, I haven't seemed to find anything difficult, even hospitals, just take longer to get through is all.

Not sure how you define non-issue, but requiring 55+ raw meat (11+ charred)(the 5+ bottled water seemed about right) for a single active day {60min} of digging (with 1 rank in Slow Metabolism on b221) seems excessive. That is multiple deer/boars/wolves. Of course with the changes to slow metabolism for b231 I expect that will require even more.

Only a non-issue when focusing mostly/solely on killing (which seems to be the way we're heading).

Archived