Skyscraper (by Pille)

Pille

Updated Download Link!

I am making progress with the stability issues. However, I still recommend you to turn off physics while exploring the tower.

Yes that!!!! Clever. :)

Hope you dont mind me stealing your idea....

Ofc you may steal what you want. I really hate the whole intellectual property thing. lol

47th building session (the maze):

sTYCjLa.jpg

This was the last big, unfinished room. There still some smaller rooms left which need to be filled but this won't take long and TopMinder found some acceptably looking stability fixes, so all crucial obstacles on the way to release seem to be removed.

I am going to finish the tower this month.

47th building session (the maze):

sTYCjLa.jpg

This was the last big, unfinished room. There still some smaller rooms left which need to be filled but this won't take long and TopMinder found some acceptably looking stability fixes, so all crucial obstacles on the way to release seem to be removed.

I am going to finish the tower this month.

Great job pille!!! Big prefab projects take alot of time and effort. Its amazing what you have completed in such a short amount of time.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I hope you don't mind if I add two pillars to McDowell's (for stability reasons) and if I wall up some of the exits. I don't want to screw up your creation but these minor changes are necessary...

spunYjh.jpg

I intend to release the tower before the end of this week (or perhaps next week if something 'bad' happens. :) ) but I've to finish another long-delayed project first. Anyway, here are some data about the prefab:

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

[tr]

[td]Container[/td]

[td]Amount[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]hidden stash[/td]

[td]39[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]lab equipment box[/td]

[td]69[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]shamway box[/td]

[td]13[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]shotgunMessiashs box[/td]

[td]14[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]bookstore box[/td]

[td]53[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]workingStiffs box[/td]

[td]21[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]carparts box[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]random construction supplies[/td]

[td]321[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]bookstoreshelves[/td]

[td]198[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]munitions box[/td]

[td]14[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Number of blocks: 0.24 mio. (dishong tower consists of ~0.10 mio. blocks and Higashis has ~0.06 mio)

Length of the 'intended' path to the roof: 1600 m or ~1 mile (takes almost 7 minutes to reach the roof following the intended path^^)

Thanks. I hope you don't mind if I add two pillars to McDowell's (for stability reasons) and if I wall up some of the exits. I don't want to screw up your creation but these minor changes are necessary...

spunYjh.jpg

I intend to release the tower before the end of this week (or perhaps next week if something 'bad' happens. :) ) but I've to finish another long-delayed project first. Anyway, here are some data about the prefab:

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

[tr]

[td]Container[/td]

[td]Amount[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]hidden stash[/td]

[td]39[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]lab equipment box[/td]

[td]69[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]shamway box[/td]

[td]13[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]shotgunMessiashs box[/td]

[td]14[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]bookstore box[/td]

[td]53[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]workingStiffs box[/td]

[td]21[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]carparts box[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]random construction supplies[/td]

[td]321[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]bookstoreshelves[/td]

[td]198[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]munitions box[/td]

[td]14[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Number of blocks: 0.24 mio. (dishong tower consists of ~0.10 mio. blocks and Higashis has ~0.06 mio)

Length of the 'intended' path to the roof: 1600 m or ~1 mile (takes almost 7 minutes to reach the roof following the intended path^^)

WOW - absolute amazing (and a little bit crazy :) )

if I see this baby on map I go in ... and never have to get out again :)

big project - big credits

awesome work Pille

I know it might be a bit op but actually you're supposed to die very quickly when entering the building. We will see... ;)

48th building session.

Who let the dogs out? (Inspired by TopMinder ^^):

KNNVzXH.jpg

Loot heaven (roof):

0tVluhZ.jpg

Laser room (final, more or less):

MfEB3ne.jpg

Monolith room (final, more or less):

4C9EX7V.jpg

I am still trying to release this week but it's a tough goal. There are so many things that need to be improved.

@Magoli

Lol, thanks.

@Kam R.

I wish there was an option for unique spawns.^^

@TopMinder

I am more worried about the performance and the vertices errors. In order to take both issues into account I am going to convert the tower into a wilderness prefab (wasteland and desert or maybe wasteland only. The trees in the other biomes are quite costly, so I think it's better to avoid them ). I've already added a fence and a collapsed tunnel which should explain the absence of a street.^^

Anyway, skyscrapers outside towns are not unusual. That's something we can learn from the movie 'the belko experiment' ;) :

The-Belko-Experiment-Trailer-3.jpg

49th building session (final exterior, more or less final):

Thank you for your advice The Cure! The street looks much better now.

Gxi6LK4.jpg

Release will be next week. The interior is almost done (99%). I still have to change some materials (e.g. the floor and the ceiling shouldn't consist of steel ^^) and I haven't added the stability fixes and sleepers yet....

You mean this?

NHt6HmW.jpg

No it's not in your version of the editor, but I am going to release an update very soon (Want to finish the tower first^^). And yes the road uses decals.

Haha, yep. Thank you that will make them easier to place. They really do add alot to prefabs. Especially the blood realted ones. With proper placement they can tell a story. :)

Edit: FYI, the yellow road decals can be tricky if the prefab is rotated. From memory, decals are not affected by rotation values which causes them look strange.

- - - Updated - - -

Always wondered how exactly does one apply the decals, as the decal "blocks" can't seem to simply be placed ingame..

As far as I know, they have never been placabke jn game. (Only from the editor). In hals editor (when he was updating it still) you could place them on any face of a square block.

Edit: FYI, the yellow road decals can be tricky if the prefab is rotated. From memory, decals are not affected by rotation values which causes them look strange.

Yep thanks. It's a bit annoying (had to change some of the decals because the rotation differs from that in the empty world).

Almost done but no release this weekend. :(

I've added sleeper blocks to the prefab and replaced most of the stainless steel blocks with more suitable materials (took much longer than expected). However, I still haven't fixed the stability issues since I had to change the materials first (cos they somewhat affect the general stability and as a result the required fixes).

Moreover, the sleepervolumes aren't added yet. As it turned out, it takes time and effort to test them (what a surprise^^). There will be some specially configured volumes that spawn awakened middle-sized sleeper hordes. At least, that's the plan. Anyway, I think this is the last building session.

50th building session (another bar and drain gutters (built using dark density magic)):

qc1T0OJ.jpg

rRgAB2A.jpg

Drainage_Services_jpg_465x600_q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am still struggling with the sleeper volumes. Some of them won't spawn zombies (without showing a console message) and the trigger zones seem to be much larger than the actual volumes.

Example:

zNOOE7F.jpg

I've added an 1x1 sleeper volume inside the glass box but as soon as the player crosses the pink line a zombie will spawn. Thus, sleeper volumes consist of two zones, the spawn zone (visible in zombie and ingame editor) and the trigger zone (not visible in the editors and 4 or 5 blocks bigger than the spawn zone (only in horizontal direction)). This effect renders a lot of my volumes useless. :(

The first issue, however, is much worse. I have no clue what to do against volumes that simply don't work. Any ideas or tips?

I have tested it this weekend for 2 hours, and have almost the same problem. The outer Sleepervolume let only in 1 of 3 or 4 tests spawning the sleepers, i will test it more this weekend. I have build several different buildings with sleepervolumes full of sleepers ^^

just an idea:

maybe it could resultate from crossing (overlapping) SleeperVolumes.

I noticed in all my Sleeperworks in the past following: The more simple it is, the less problems will be.

Overall the Sleeper-spawning is pretty poor in A16 (not appearing Sleepers, popping Sleepers, Sleepers rotate when wake up, Stupid KI, etc. etc.)

IMO atm we cant fully control when and where a Sleeper will appear.

Maybe in A17 it will be better. Till then Sleepers are a halfworking, but unfinished story in my mind.

@TopMinder

Thanks, maybe you can find some new error sources.^^ I am starting to think that I've entirely understood the sleeper stuff (probably an illusion xD). Therefore, it's nice to have another modder/prefaber checking and improving my results.

In the long run, there should be a tutorial about sleepers (not in A16 though). I hope you're ready to repeat all your tests in A17. ;D

@Magoli

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately, there was only one volume in my testing prefab, so overlapping wasn't possible. As it turned out, my method of testing was incorrect. Somehow deleting the region files is not sufficient to reset the sleeper volumes. That's why some volumes stopped working after a while.

I don't put high requirements on my sleeper volumes btw. Just tried to avoid unintentionally spawned zombies that breaking through walls and I wanted to have some fancy surprises (zombies falling through ceilings and stuff like that^^).

The sleepers are almost ready now (~1200 sleeper blocks and ~120 volumes; performance isn't as bad as expected) and I can continue with fixing the stability (that's the final step before release).

Overall the Sleeper-spawning is pretty poor in A16 (not appearing Sleepers, popping Sleepers, Sleepers rotate when wake up, Stupid KI, etc. etc.)

IMO atm we cant fully control when and where a Sleeper will appear.

Maybe in A17 it will be better. Till then Sleepers are a halfworking, but unfinished story in my mind.

I agree, it's a shame that we have so little control over the volumes. Or perhaps, we have more control than we suspect but nobody knows what we can achieve within the current system and where the limits are because sleepers are not completely investigated...

Archived