Prefab Editor (Alpha)

Pille

Why is everybody using version 0.3? lol. I've just uploaded zombie 0.3v to the opening post. So you can directly download the latest version from there and don't have to use the auto updater. Also make sure that you have selected a SleeperVolumeGroup with emptyChance = 0:

QP88lCd.png

Edit:

I guess that's the reason :-D :

Jhrnqdt.jpg

The sign is another prefab. You couldn't see it because you inserted the line

<decoration type="model" name="CraneA16_2Q" position="500, 44, 1215" rotation="0" />

at the end of the file, right?

Probably you cannot place two prefabs at the same location even if 'copy air blocks' is on. Remove the sign in the prefab.xml or try this workaround:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?62501-Prefab-Editor-(Alpha)&p=722270&viewfull=1#post722270

So make an extra air prefab and add this thing to the prefab.xml between sign and CraneA16_2Q:

<decoration type="model" name="sign????" position="?, ?, ?" rotation="0" />

<decoration type="model" name="Air" position="500, 44, 1215" rotation="0" />

<decoration type="model" name="CraneA16_2Q" position="500, 44, 1215" rotation="0" />

You're a GENIUS Pille! That's the solution indeed!

I had some strange gravity-issues in the same prefab, which all are now solved too :smile-new:

Have two request for you Pille.

I'd like to have a check box or an option that keeps the block I've selected focused in the Edit window or in the Info window. Right now as I navigate around the map, i can only hover over a block to see it's Info. But I apparently cannot edit it.

The second request is some way to help us identify block facing. I know you have rotation options. But there's no way to know what facing a rotation gives via the tool. Something to help this when building would be fantastic!

I am totally amazed Guppycur has not requested a secondary editor to be done lol like he had Hal do hehe :-P.

My request would be for the editor -

To have a small box showing the block you are using and to have it show which way in game it be facing. Ie: the sink facing down means its facing you with the cupboards. Facing up meaning its facing away from you

@Henk

You're welcome!

@Jackelmyer

Have two request for you Pille.

I'd like to have a check box or an option that keeps the block I've selected focused in the Edit window or in the Info window. Right now as I navigate around the map, i can only hover over a block to see it's Info. But I apparently cannot edit it.

The second request is some way to help us identify block facing. I know you have rotation options. But there's no way to know what facing a rotation gives via the tool. Something to help this when building would be fantastic!

You can use the middle mouse button to copy the block data to the edit window. Once the data are copied you can edit them.

Your second suggestion is quite difficult. I know it would be a very helpful feature but it's pretty time-consuming to implement since the block rotation are still inconsistent... So hopefully I can do it some day.^^

@stallionsden

Mhh isn't this identical to Jackelmyer's second request. I am confused.^^

@Guppycur

So many suggestions and so little time. ;) We should make a list of all suggestion and poll in order to find out what the most popular requests are.^^

Ok might be over the top but a list would be helpful since I am very oblivious, lol.

@Spectral Force

I think you can already do that using the 'vertical rotation' selection menu.

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

Only my requests are important.

...also, I did another vid on the playlist showing sleeper volumes. I intend to do one showing the XML side (editing groups and whatnot) but I'm slammed with work for the next few months so I won't be doing crap except popping in to annoy Roland.

One oddity and one request.

Oddity: I have a prefab I'm trying to copy and past multiple blocks (check out lanes at a grocery store). Seems like i can only get about 10 out of the 25ish blocks copied and pasted at a time. I painted the blocks in game and made one check out lane. Then started trying to copy and past the lanes around. Surfaces painted a variety of colors. not sure the issue.

-- EDIT -- Oddity Solved: User DER Error. Using the standard Select control instead of the rectangle, and right click when selecting was the right way to do it. pft. RESOLVED

Request: When we select (say square select) an area, can you please have a count of how many blocks are selected somewhere? Would greatly help to get counts on spaces between areas really quick.

Edited by Jackelmyer (see edit history)

Something I'm noticing that seems new to me. Seems like for whatever reason, the latest version of the editor may be losing Text on 3x1 wood signs (that's what I'm working with) and then making the sign unusable with the E button. Have to break the sign and place a new. Still testing, but seems to be the case at the moment.

@Guppycur

Thanks Guppy. I've added the vid to the op.

@Spectral Force

Yes, that's intended. Once you've clicked on 'fix position' you can't rotate the prefab anymore. Your suggestion could double the memory consumption since you would use the data of two prefabs. It may be intricate to program. I've to think about it.

@Jackelmyer

Request: When we select (say square select) an area, can you please have a count of how many blocks are selected somewhere? Would greatly help to get counts on spaces between areas really quick.

Yes, I think it's almost an one-liner (one line of code).

Seems like for whatever reason, the latest version of the editor may be losing Text on 3x1 wood signs (that's what I'm working with) and then making the sign unusable with the E button.

As Guppy said, this information is not stored in the prefab but in the savegame.

@Pille

One of my new favorite features of your editor is the Replace Block feature. Being able to replace blocks and not lose the textures (not fully tested but it's what editor suggests) is fantastic! I just replaced all of the walls in a prefab I'm working on, converting them from Wood to Concrete. BLEEEEEESSSSING!

The one thing I don't understand is the way the functionality works.

So I hold right mouse button, selected a row of blocks that was my wall.

Selected Wood Block as my Replace Block ID.

Selected Concrete as my replace block ID.

Clicked "Selected Blocks".

Nothing happens.

However when I move my cursor back from the tools window back to the map (grid window), the blocks get replaced. I've gotten used to it. But I would expect that when I click on "Selected Blocks", I actually see the change occur. And that the change doesn't occur only when I move my mouse back over the map area.

Nothing big. Just seems like a confusing usability thing.

Thanks again!

@Jackelmyer

Ahh thanks Jackelmyer, I've forgotten to add a repaint call to the replace functions.^^ The change is there when you click on "Selected Blocks" but you can't see it. I just fixed the problem in my dev. version of the editor. So the bugfix will be included in the next release.

@all

Does anybody know how to build sleeper-triggered physics traps? I think sleepers can cause collapses due to their weight but they have to walk across the instable structure, right?

So the following setup doesn't work. As soon as the player reaches the ammo box, the sleepers spawn but they are inactive. Therefore the structure won't fall down. How can I wake them up? Or do you know a different approach?

EOXSeel.jpg

It may depend on the type of trap block you use. Check my video where a couple of zeds walk over the 3x3 trap floor without collapsing it. I wonder if that gave Gobarg a false sense of security when he tried to walk over it lol....

A good prefab to checkout is the vanilla pawn shop. I vaguely remember walking into that POI and having a ton of zombies come crashing through the drop ceiling.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

Pille,

Question for you. In your editor. Is there a way to Lock and Unlock doors? Something happened in my import/export process and it seems all my doors unlocked. Not sure when it happened but... yeah... there's that. :-/ Would be awesome if in the editor, should a door be selected, a check box appeared to say "lock/unlock"

@Jackelmyer

Ahh thanks Jackelmyer, I've forgotten to add a repaint call to the replace functions.^^ The change is there when you click on "Selected Blocks" but you can't see it. I just fixed the problem in my dev. version of the editor. So the bugfix will be included in the next release.

@all

Does anybody know how to build sleeper-triggered physics traps? I think sleepers can cause collapses due to their weight but they have to walk across the instable structure, right?

So the following setup doesn't work. As soon as the player reaches the ammo box, the sleepers spawn but they are inactive. Therefore the structure won't fall down. How can I wake them up? Or do you know a different approach?

EOXSeel.jpg

My guess is the zombie is out of "hearing" range. If they're inactive. Lower your trap and see if it works with the zombie about 5 blocks above. That's my best guess.

Some of the store poi's in A16 have sleepers in the ceiling. Can't recall which point, but the definitely can awaken and move when overhead. But those zombies had their feet 4-5 blocks overhead.

@Jackelmyer

Pille,

Question for you. In your editor. Is there a way to Lock and Unlock doors? Something happened in my import/export process and it seems all my doors unlocked. Not sure when it happened but... yeah... there's that. :-/ Would be awesome if in the editor, should a door be selected, a check box appeared to say "lock/unlock"

Have you set the meta value to 14? According to Henk that should work (although the meta value is set to 4 in Laz Man's McDowell prefab).

Set 'Meta' to 14. Then the doors will be locked.

My guess is the zombie is out of "hearing" range. If they're inactive. Lower your trap and see if it works with the zombie about 5 blocks above. That's my best guess.

You're probably right. Unfortunately, I don't want to lower the trap.^^

@Laz Man

Ahh I haven't thought about the trap blocks. I just relied on usual structural integrity collapses. Thanks, that's sometime to test out.

@Jackelmyer

Have you set the meta value to 14? According to Henk that should work (although the meta value is set to 4 in Laz Man's McDowell prefab).

No... I have not. And that would be fantastic if that worked. :-D I may load up something like the hospital prefab to poke around to see if the same meta is set or if it varies by door/position/etc. Thanks for the tip! Aahhhh yes... I takes a village to make a prefaber. lol

You're probably right. Unfortunately, I don't want to lower the trap.^^

What about changing the floor layout a bit to where you could lift the "bait" higher? Like a tall aquarium 3x3 at least in size with the bait inside? Make the player jump up/climb up to get it, closer to your zombie, and heck, maybe even have your zombie fall inside the tank with the player. lol. that'd be freaky as hell. lol. mmm... twisted minds... It's fun to prefab. :D

Ok. So what i'm finding...

Doors and Meta Values: Following values in the Meta field of your editor have the following meaning.

0 = Unlocked Closed Door

1 = Open Door

4 = Locked Closed Door

Confirmed by spawning in prefabs and checking the behaviors as compared to the meta values in the editor. Maybe locked doors had a meta value of 14 in A15? Dunno. But the above seems true with A16 right now.

Doors and Meta Values: Following values in the Meta field of your editor have the following meaning.

0 = Unlocked Closed Door

1 = Open Door

4 = Locked Closed Door

Confirmed by spawning in prefabs and checking the behaviors as compared to the meta values in the editor. Maybe locked doors had a meta value of 14 in A15? Dunno. But the above seems true with A16 right now.

yeah that fits with what I'm seeing too.

For some reason the tfp copy from world code doesnt include the meta's, so I'll have to add my own bit for that.

Thanks! Ironically, I am quite inexperienced at creating prefabs, so still have to learn a lot.^^

What about changing the floor layout a bit to where you could lift the "bait" higher? Like a tall aquarium 3x3 at least in size with the bait inside? Make the player jump up/climb up to get it, closer to your zombie, and heck, maybe even have your zombie fall inside the tank with the player. lol. that'd be freaky as hell. lol. mmm... twisted minds... It's fun to prefab. :D

That's an interesting idea but the distance is still too far.^^ The sleeper is ~20 blocks above the player (or ~17 if I use the 3x3 aquarium).