can Nintendo Switch specs handle 7 Days To Die?

knighthonor

Nintendo usually lags with their hardware specs... The Wii was on par with the Game Cube (just with motion controls), and likewise the Wii U was a generation behind (on par with PS 3 and Xbox 360). They're innovators, but not front runners when it comes to horsepower. That being said, I'm not sure exactly how powerful the Switch really is.

The reason being is Nintendo tries to design their consoles to be more cost effective, and it would appear they're more focused on their games than their hardware.

My point though is that this game is resource hungry, and the Nintendo Switch probably couldn't handle it.

Ok, lets make a fun table....

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: center]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]PC Min Absolute[/TD]

[TD]PC Min Recommended[/TD]

[TD]PC Preferred[/TD]

[TD]Xbox One[/TD]

[TD]Xbox One S[/TD]

[TD]Project Scorpio[/TD]

[TD]Playstation 4[/TD]

[TD]PlayStation 4 Slim[/TD]

[TD]PlayStation 4 Pro[/TD]

[TD]Switch[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CPU[/TD]

[TD]2.4 Ghz Dual Core CPU[/TD]

[TD]3.0 Ghz Quad Core CPU[/TD]

[TD]3.2+ Ghz 6-8 Core CPU[/TD]

[TD]1.75GHz 8-core† AMD custom CPU[/TD]

[TD]2.3GHz 8-core† AMD custom Scorpio Engine CPU[/TD]

[TD]1.6GHz 8-core† AMD custom “Jaguar” CPU[/TD]

[TD]2.1GHz 8-core† AMD custom “Jaguar” CPU[/TD]

[TD]1020MHz Nvidia custom Tegra SOC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]GPU[/TD]

[TD]GPU clocked at 575MHz with 0.35 teraflops of performance*[/TD]

[TD]GPU clocked at 1046 MHz with 2.31 teraflops of performance*[/TD]

[TD]GPU clocked at 1,216 MHz with 4.05 teraflops of performance*[/TD]

[TD]Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 853MHz with 1.31 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[TD]Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 914MHz with 1.31 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[TD]Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 1172MHz with 6 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[TD]Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 800MHz with 1.84 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[TD]Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 800MHz with 1.84 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[TD]Integrated AMD Polaris GPU clocked at 911 MHz with 4.2 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[TD]768MHz (docked) / 307.2MHz (undocked)

Nvidia custom Tegra SOC

Estimated 0.12 to 0.5 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]RAM[/TD]

[TD]4GB[/TD]

[TD]6 GB RAM[/TD]

[TD]8+ GB RAM[/TD]

[TD]8GB[/TD]

[TD]8GB[/TD]

[TD]12GB[/TD]

[TD]8GB[/TD]

[TD]8GB[/TD]

[TD]8GB[/TD]

[TD]4GB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Storage[/TD]

[TD]See Note[/TD]

[TD]See Note[/TD]

[TD]See Note[/TD]

[TD]500GB[/TD]

[TD]500GB, 1TB, 2TB[/TD]

[TD]1TB[/TD]

[TD]500GB[/TD]

[TD]500GB[/TD]

[TD]1TB[/TD]

[TD]32GB[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

* The PC graphics cards are recommended to have 512MB, 2GB, or 4GB of dedicated video RAM respectively.

*Also note that these clock stats are relational guestimates based on tested hardware to provide numbers similar to consoles.

Note on PC Storage: The client itself requires 4GB of free space. Saves will require up to 35GB minimum.

It should also be noted that even though the X-box and Playstation consoles really have 8 physical cores, Their performance is no better than the the CPU in the PC Min Recommended with 4 physical cores. This may be because both CPU's have 8 threads.

Sorry the table doesn't really fit that well. It was a pain to make it.

Also, no. The Switch cannot handle 7Days. The Xbox One can't even handle it, lol. The Switch lags while just playin Zelda and Snipperclips... I'm wondering how they're going to get Skyrim to work on it, even, and Skyrim's pretty old...

Project Scorpio appears to have a considerable upgrade to hardware over the Xbox one, but I'm no connoisseur of hardware by any means. And from what I have been reading is its supposed to be full backwards compatible. So does that mean 7 days will run hugely better on Scorpio? And are we more likely to get a true full port from PC versions for the Scorpio?

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: center]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]PC Min Absolute[/TD]

[TD]PC Min Recommended[/TD]

[TD]PC Preferred[/TD]

[TD]Xbox One[/TD]

[TD]Xbox One S[/TD]

[TD]Project Scorpio[/TD]

[TD]Playstation 4[/TD]

[TD]PlayStation 4 Slim[/TD]

[TD]PlayStation 4 Pro[/TD]

[TD]Switch[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CPU[/TD]

[TD]2.4 Ghz Dual Core CPU[/TD]

[TD]3.0 Ghz Quad Core CPU[/TD]

[TD]3.2+ Ghz 6-8 Core CPU[/TD]

[TD]2.3GHz 8-core† AMD custom Scorpio Engine CPU[/TD]

[TD]2.1GHz 8-core† AMD custom “Jaguar” CPU[/TD]

[TD]1020MHz Nvidia custom Tegra SOC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]GPU[/TD]

[TD]GPU clocked at 575MHz with 0.35 teraflops of performance*[/TD]

[TD]GPU clocked at 1046 MHz with 2.31 teraflops of performance*[/TD]

[TD]GPU clocked at 1,216 MHz with 4.05 teraflops of performance*[/TD]

[TD]Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 853MHz with 1.31 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[TD]Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 914MHz with 1.31 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[TD]Integrated AMD GPU clocked at 1172MHz with 6 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[TD]Integrated AMD Polaris GPU clocked at 911 MHz with 4.2 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[TD]768MHz (docked) / 307.2MHz (undocked)

Nvidia custom Tegra SOC

Estimated 0.12 to 0.5 teraflops of performance[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]RAM[/TD]

[TD]4GB[/TD]

[TD]6 GB RAM[/TD]

[TD]8+ GB RAM[/TD]

[TD]8GB[/TD]

[TD]8GB[/TD]

[TD]12GB[/TD]

[TD]8GB[/TD]

[TD]8GB[/TD]

[TD]8GB[/TD]

[TD]4GB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Storage[/TD]

[TD]See Note[/TD]

[TD]See Note[/TD]

[TD]See Note[/TD]

[TD]500GB[/TD]

[TD]500GB, 1TB, 2TB[/TD]

[TD]1TB[/TD]

[TD]500GB[/TD]

[TD]500GB[/TD]

[TD]1TB[/TD]

[TD]32GB[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I am not reading all that..............................Gamida, LAF Mag

Look at all the pretty numbers...........................................Billy Bob, Rolling Stone Magazine

It's a rectangle......woo hoo...............................Big Bird , Sesame Street

It's the thought that counts.....UnsentSoul, Heaven Can Wait

I enjoyed it immensely. Very fun, 10/10 would read again...........Clare, Consoles for Everyone Magazine

Yes, I literally just wasted like an hour of time I could be doing anything else just to make that silly table.

I kind of feel bad for disagreeing with some of it. :/

I am not reading all that..............................Gamida, LAF Mag

Look at all the pretty numbers...........................................Billy Bob, Rolling Stone Magazine

It's a rectangle......woo hoo...............................Big Bird , Sesame Street

It's the thought that counts.....UnsentSoul, Heaven Can Wait

I enjoyed it immensely. Very fun, 10/10 would read again...........Clare, Consoles for Everyone Magazine

LMFAO!

I'd just like to point out the xbox one and ps4 have 8 cores. They are 2 x 'quad core' apu's, 8 physical cores and 8 threads.

That is correct. In my tiredness I mis-wrote what I had intended to say there. I have corrected it now.

i have no ideal what any of that is

The only way I could make it easier, would be to put relative GPU builds for the GPU stats. My fear though, was that the only ones to understand this would be the PC guys that build systems. As a result, I was stuck with doing clock speed representations for bare numbers.

I can see how it would look like gibberish to someone not familiar with the hardware in the slightest though. I could use cars, but that's going to be unclear for a lot of people too, and is actually harder to represent to those who aren't aware of the differences.

I kind of feel bad for disagreeing with some of it. :/

Why would you feel bad? In fact, I had the last part of data mis-typed because I was just dead after a long day of work.

I fixed it now. Feeling better?

Also, I'd like to note that the "PC Min Absolute" is based on a combination of the minimum stated requirements by TFP (which haven't been updated since 2013), and actual testing on my part. The game was playable on that build, but only just barely, and the max FPS was about 15-20.

The "PC Min Recommended" is based on the "Windows Recommended" of those same outdated requirements. Since TFP left the video department especially vague, the stats are based on the lowest GPU I have had moderate success with. FPS for that build was pretty solidly in the 40-45 range.

The "PC Preferred" is merely based on my personal experience with hardware, and in providing support in the PC section. The goal was to reach a solid 60FPS in 1920x1080 HD. Even with torches.

TLDR: The Switch's hardware specs are somewhere between the Wii, and the Wii-U. Which kind of sucks. You're not going to see 7DTD there anytime soon. You might see Minecraft, with the same limitations that were put on the other consoles because they didn't have the hardware for the full version that is on the PC.

The game only benefits from 2 cores. With that said, yes, higher cores usually mean better per core performance allowing those 2 main cores to work better with this game. But claiming the game recommends 6 - 8 cores is a bit crazy. Ryzen 7 1800x has nearly identical per core performance as the Ryzen 5 1500x but with 4 less cores. I can't imagine the 1500x struggling at all with this game on ultimate settings. I know my 1600x runs this game on max with a minimum of 70fps (without any OC on anything at all), so even if the 1500x loses 1 or 2 fps, it's still perfect. I suspect that when Ryzen 3 comes out, their dual core performance should in theory also be perfect for this game on ultimate graphics settings.

Anything latest gen dual core at 3.5GHz or better should in theory be the PC preferred. OC recommended though. A dual core would run hotter than higher core CPUs, but it would still do it just as well... again, in theory.

I just did a test on my 1600x and the CPU never reached beyond 31%, and the Hyperthreading sat there idling... doing nothing at all as usual.

Obviously, I could be wrong, it has been known to happen on occasion. But the devs are the ones that said this game only uses 2 of the cores and there was not much they could do about it.

As for the graphics card stuff, I haven't been paying any attention to terraflops and stuff, so I don't know. I just go by passmark scores and common sense which is way easier and hasn't failed me yet.

Project Scorpio appears to have a considerable upgrade to hardware over the Xbox one, but I'm no connoisseur of hardware by any means. And from what I have been reading is its supposed to be full backwards compatible. So does that mean 7 days will run hugely better on Scorpio? And are we more likely to get a true full port from PC versions for the Scorpio?

Nope because there will be no exclusives for Scorpio compared to xbox one. So basically its just going to upscale or handle some games better. No exclusive content in any way.

Archived