"brutally unforgiving post-apocalypse"

Cloak

7wtf.jpg.06f7b2ffd0ce18fb9d2de1f6becbb6ed.jpg

Yeah this game is no longer about "survival". Or a "brutally unforgiving post-apocalypse" experience. Especially when you're adding a npc that sells items and has vending machines laying around for you to buy stuff. It's a casual crafting grind fest. Just keep making those bows, blunt wooden club, and stone axes. Establish base tower surrounded by a trench with spikes. Add little bit of points in your scavenger perk. Now time to buy stuff from npc. Yeah the trader probably wont be selling much. But still....a trader in a survival post-apocalypse zombie world? I just don't understand how this is a good idea for this game. Why are dev's not creating things that make the game more challenging. Or gives it more incentive. How about some new tools, traps, raiding defensive/offensive. Improved zombie "A.I." You know, more variety. No, the trader and skill perks is the best thing they can come up with. :doh:

Please keep your posts respectful and constructive, and refrain from posting unneeded commentary.

Thank You -Malthis

I hate you because you don´t like what the godly devs put into the game and I hope they put in a grammar nazi zombie in to hunt you down...

OK more seriously they allways wanted NPCs. And I like it. Interaction, quests, trading... just more stuff to do...

You want to be a lone survivor? Last man standing? Kill the traider and rob him ^^

Complaining about balance in a game still in development missing many of its key features. It's like complaining your house is drafty before they put up the walls...

Also I guess you missed the whole bandit part of A15? You know people with guns. Like to shoot you.

I hate you because you don´t like what the godly devs put into the game and I hope they put in a grammar nazi zombie in to hunt you down...

OK more seriously they allways wanted NPCs. And I like it. Interaction, quests, trading... just more stuff to do...

You want to be a lone survivor? Last man standing? Kill the traider and rob him ^^

1561.jpg.4421e3ad1084d6b12eee56acd0032b0e.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Complaining about balance in a game still in development missing many of its key features. It's like complaining your house is drafty before they put up the walls...

Also I guess you missed the whole bandit part of A15? You know people with guns. Like to shoot you.

Yah no... I didn't miss bandits. Those actually make sense.

And don't tell me what I can or cannot complain about.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15416[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

Yah no... I didn't miss bandits. Those actually make sense.

And don't tell me what I can or cannot complain about.

Honestly if you'd phrase it differently people might actually respect your posts. However when you make statements like

Why are dev's not creating things that make the game more challenging.
and
No, the trader and skill perks is the best thing they can come up with.
and then purposely ignore the bandits which are the main feature of the upcoming A15 build and chose not to mention them then you come across rightfully so as trolling.

As for stuff like traders I find that it makes perfect sense to have a barter system in a post apocalyptic world. As with everything else in the game its not being forced upon you and can be modded out if it doesn't suit your playstyle. If you want to have a serious discussion you need to act more mature and not try to troll and be dramatic. If you do that people will take you seriously and discuss your points.

Have some of these, man:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15417[/ATTACH]

I was gonna say that! >:c

And you all forgot the "it's ALPHA" argument, as that one covers every. single. aspect. of any given topic.

Oh, and OP; I hate you because you don't like what devs are adding. I'm their biggest fanboi. So you can't have a opinion. So I'm going to make you look dumb. And shut you down. Everything dev's are doing is right. They are gods!

So there!

;*

There are many settings to make the game more difficult if that is your liking. Set the zombies to always run, feral, the hardest difficulty setting, the shortest days, and delete all your stuff on death. That will be a test of your survival skills.

This is a game in development at the alpha stage and clearly flagged as such and don't forget the the "Steam Early Access" agreement you had to agree to before buying the game. It obviously isn't what you want it to be and looks like it may never be. The way I figure it you can either cut your losses and move on or stick around and give some practical input on how to improve the game to your standards... while keeping in mind that if your goals for the game are not the dev's goals for the game then you have your work cut out for you. There are a great many adjustments you can make to the game to make it more fun for you without affecting others, which is more than you get with the vast majority of games out there today.

Video games have never been popular because they're hard. It's because they're fun, that does entail or denote an ease of play. I will say in the developer's defense that striking the right balance between realism and fantasy is extremely difficult.

I'll give you some advice OP, the moment that you legitimately lost any ground is when you doubted your own post.

Not like this post will make any difference.

If someone asks me a question that begins with "I don't suppose..."

My answer is no, for two reasons.

1.) If a person lacks the confidence in themselves that what they say or do will be good or acceptable. Who am I to judge? I'll agree with them and move on. They're right, they suck.

2.) You made a huge lot of assumptions in the last part of your post. Never assume anything, even if you think that you've got everyone second guessed 100%. You never know with people, especially now a days. The internet has give people who live around the world that just might agree with the ability to do so.

But I agree that the game description does need to be revamped. It certainly isn't brutal, at least by definition set by experienced gamers.

So a game 3 years in development is missing many of its key features and you dont see that as a priority issue? because if there is one thing minecraft taught us its that people value graphics over functionality....oh wait.. thats not it...

You know alot of successful contractors that cant put up walls 3 years after they start?

But its ok guys! maybe we will get a couple of those promised features in the form of planned DLC for a alpha game. :highly_amused:

So a game 3 years in development is missing many of its key features and you dont see that as a priority issue? because if there is one thing minecraft taught us its that people value graphics over functionality....oh wait.. thats not it...

You know alot of successful contractors that cant put up walls 3 years after they start?

But its ok guys! maybe we will get a couple of those promised features in the form of planned DLC for a alpha game. :highly_amused:

Key features? And what would those be exactly? I don't think you know the definition of that word when it comes to games or the context in which you just used it.

Why are you so eager for them to say "development phase over"? I'd understand the angst if the game was languishing with no updates but there has been steady progress over these past three years. It may not be progressing in a direction or manner you approve but nobody can deny they aren't working hard on the game.

As long as they keep updating regularly what is the difference? Minecraft has been "released" for years and it still gets updated occasionally. If they continue to support and improve the game for the next three years are you going to sneer at that?

People like you are never satisfied. You are poised to say "I called it!!!!" if a project gets abandoned by its developers and yet when a game is steadily progressing in development you are out in front saying "why do we still get updates after three years? When will it stop?"

I agree with OP, this game isnt really about survival as it was in early alphas. No longer do i worry about hunger or thirst.

However with little modding, you can cater to your own style of play. I love survival games so i edit files, change receipes to suit me.

Comparing the development speed of the game to a house isn't an accurate comparision and is drawing a faulty analogy to what I had said. I also don't see it as an issue because the industry standard for game development is closer to 5 years. In fact Fallout 4 was in development for 7 years with a team of over 100 developers for instance.

I agree with OP, this game isnt really about survival as it was in early alphas. No longer do i worry about hunger or thirst.

However with little modding, you can cater to your own style of play. I love survival games so i edit files, change receipes to suit me.

+1

And if the op doesn't know how to mod himself he should be happy to learn there are already several mods easily found that emphasize the survival aspect of the game and make it much more brutal not to mention a fantastic modding community who have posted tutorials on how to install mods and are willing to talk you through it if the tutorials are unclear.

I've tried a few mods here and there and they truly inject new life into the game. And since major update cycles are typically anywhere from 2-6 months you can install a mod today and probably have a solid month or more with it before Alpha 15 comes out. Then once A15 comes out and you try out the new stuff for a couple of weeks you can try out a new mod for the next cycle.

Where is the downside to this assuming the devs continue to develop?

The main problem here, Roland, is that the devs are in a constant trend, alpha after alpha, to dumb down the game and streamline it for a cut of an audience that it never meant to have in the first place. And the people who supported/backed this project from the beginning are feeling alienated by this practice. Not everyone wants to mod their game, and IMO they're not obliged to do so.

Though I agree with you in that modding can be quite interesting to give new grounds to the game, the ones complaining are the ones who want the vanilla game to be more difficult by standard, and I can't say they're wrong in that.

The main problem here, Roland, is that the devs are in a constant trend, alpha after alpha, to dumb down the game and streamline it for a cut of an audience that it never meant to have in the first place. And the people who supported/backed this project from the beginning are feeling alienated by this practice. Not everyone wants to mod their game, and IMO they're not obliged to do so.

Though I agree with you in that modding can be quite interesting to give new grounds to the game, the ones complaining are the ones who want the vanilla game to be more difficult by standard, and I can't say they're wrong in that.

I agree that the game has moved toward the mainstream in its vanilla form and I can see where those who thought they were buying THE game that would buck the trend of every other game out there would be disappointed. I'm not happy that I never need to craft bottles or even really boil water ever thanks to zombies that drop clean water. Even putting the loot % down to 25% isn't going to make that 1 water bottle in the loot disappear. And food is everywhere. So yeah, the survival game is mostly gone now in vanilla.

But the REALITY is that your mod is available and easy to install and so the option that people want exists thanks to you and others who have that hardcore survival preference. So wishful thinking about how the vanilla game should have been aside-- there is a great option here and now and reality trumps woulda-coulda-shoulda.

And people that can't be bothered to mod their game should swallow their vanilla gracefully-- in my humble opinion.

Why are you so eager for them to say "development phase over"? I'd understand the angst if the game was languishing with no updates but there has been steady progress over these past three years. It may not be progressing in a direction or manner you approve but nobody can deny they aren't working hard on the game.

As long as they keep updating regularly what is the difference? Minecraft has been "released" for years and it still gets updated occasionally. If they continue to support and improve the game for the next three years are you going to sneer at that?

People like you are never satisfied. You are poised to say "I called it!!!!" if a project gets abandoned by its developers and yet when a game is steadily progressing in development you are out in front saying "why do we still get updates after three years? When will it stop?"

So mod do you think you could fit any more words in my mouth?

Why are you so eager for them to say "development phase over"? I would like the "redo X graphic for the 10th time" phase of development to end and maybe see some focus towards world building aspects....I know.... such a crazy concept for a voxel building game...

As long as they keep updating regularly what is the difference? The difference is minecraft didnt make promises then neglect to deliver while profiting even further from steam sales and now a deal with telltale....

You are poised to say "I called it!!!!" if a project gets abandoned by its developers. Mind explaining the logic behind this ?. if the battle is over then why would i even show up?

"why do we still get updates after three years? When will it stop?" going to need an explanation behind this logic as well please.

Set the difficulty to 5, turn on run always, and then make it feral mode and the game goes back into survival mode.

^ exactly. You can easily make the game un-playably hard by altering a few options. I dare any "hardcore" gamer to put on highest difficulty, always run, zombies are feral, shortest days and drop all on death. Oh and don't forget that 30 day item respawn time. When you've got it down, I'll await for your Youtube series of epic greatness... :eagerness:

Comparing the development speed of the game to a house isn't an accurate comparision and is drawing a faulty analogy to what I had said. I also don't see it as an issue because the industry standard for game development is closer to 5 years. In fact Fallout 4 was in development for 7 years with a team of over 100 developers for instance.

Yea just skip right over the priority issue part :highly_amused: best way to win a debate is to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend you cant hear anything right?

Archived