Water VS Zombies

verser

zombies seems to take an extremely long time to die from water exposure/drowning long enough to break concrete. i think that water should be more harmful to zombies. my base is under a lake and a screamer survived long enough to dig straight down through 4 layers of sand and 4 blocks of upgraded flagstone before i had to kill her.

Should zeds drown at all should be the question. If they are undead and dont breath they should stay there. If that limits freedom to be creative and build were you want maybe they should drown fast like the player. But wouldnt it make it too easy to have an unbeatable base?

I'd settle for them moving very slowly/erratically when in water. I don't think they'd have the brain function and dexterity necessary to swim. Walking across the bottom would pose all sorts of problems which would impede a Z trying it. Surely the ability to punch cement underwater would also be mitigated...

3167719ec1049968a1b4b94c2ea96715f8deea525d5ffbb2f78b6edb5893ac8e_1.gif

-Morloc

even if they are the type of zombie that doesn't breath exposing non regeneration flesh will cause its decay at an accelerated rate unless the water is a very cold and oxygen deprived then it becomes bloated, spongy and very easy to pull apart.

even if they are the type of zombie that doesn't breath exposing non regeneration flesh will cause its decay at an accelerated rate unless the water is a very cold and oxygen deprived then it becomes bloated, spongy and very easy to pull apart.

Now this seems to make sense to me. Also, traversing inclines at the bottom of a lake / ocean would seem to be an almost insurmountable task as they would have difficulty climbing up grades, imho, leading them to accumulate at some low-point and eventually watter-log and die.

I think they work correctly underwater, they are zombies they can't drown and shouldn't die from water, that would make it way to easy to just lead them to water and drown them all. I think they already just walk across the bottom, and move more slowly or attack slower underwater.

In fact I think the water is too safe currently, if you swim at the surface the zombies under water cant get to you, though eventually follow you out of the water if they kept up with you. I would like some sort of water predator that either contracted the zombie disease or just is unchecked now that you have to worry about when swimming.

• 3 weeks later...

(X1) Not sure if they're drowning, but I don't know how they're dying. I build an elevated base in a desert biome on top of two large boulders a stone throw's away from a large lake. It's pretty secure, but I needed sand so I started swimming and digging. This is when I noticed the bottom of the lake is covered in zombie carcasses. Is this "drowning" or "water damage"?

• 2 years later...

Tell you what would be nice, although I don't see it being added, is a little trail of bubbles showing on the surface of water.

I was mining some boulders near a shore and the game lagged for a second (normally an indicator on my machine a horde had been spawned somewhere near). I kept a look out, nervous, and couldn't see anything. I carried on harvesting only for a f**king dog horde to appear out of the water and head towards me. A large rock and a touch of SMG sorted the situation, but it was a bit of a shock seeing 6 of the buggers doing a Daniel Craig moment.

I'd settle for them moving very slowly/erratically when in water. I don't think they'd have the brain function and dexterity necessary to swim. Walking across the bottom would pose all sorts of problems which would impede a Z trying it. Surely the ability to punch cement underwater would also be mitigated...

3167719ec1049968a1b4b94c2ea96715f8deea525d5ffbb2f78b6edb5893ac8e_1.gif

-Morloc

The zombies could become waterlogged and fall apart/die when they're underwater too long. They are full of holes after all :p

If water stopped zombies, everyone would have bases in water on stilts, so I don't expect water is ever going to completely stop zombies, just from a game point of view.

But I've kited zombies into lakes and watched them, they definitely slow down a bunch under water.

I wonder if shotgun turrets will fire underwater? Would be kind of funny to use water to slow down zombies while the turrets mow them down.

- P

Well considering the sounds zombies make - sounds like breathing most of the time, and then of course all the audible groans/grunts/gurgling/etc they make; zombie speak such as it is - you need to be able to breathe to speak right?

Then there is the fact that they will eat you, dead things don't need to eat.

And of course see, hear, smell - undeath seems to be more like an "alternative lifestyle" than actually being dead when you really stop to think about it.

I don't really expect zombies to drown, although considering the above it doesn't seem unreasonable.

Burning zombies don't stop burning underwater, that bothers me more than normal zombies not drowning.

I like that they can't drown.

I like that they walk across the bottom.

I don't like that they all walk across the bottom.

I agree that swimming zombies would be ridiculous. However, there could be a couple bloated zombies that float on the surface due to gas bloating and flap around angrily and erratically while trying to move.

I wish there was also mud... so that sleeper zombies could rise out of it as you walk by.,, or at least a sewer system under the cities with murky water to accomplish the same effect. It would be pretty terrifying.

Archived