True Survival

Spider

Copper

Hey Spider, I am playing your mod like an addict :)

I finally managed to progress enough to reach the steel phase. I wanted to make a copper pot still but it requires copper.

I looked through the xml files and the closest to copper is scrap copper.

Is the copper in the game available for mining ? Is it specific to a certain biome?

Thanks

@Oragepoilu-

Well the spear is a much better zombie killing tool than a bat. Really a decent spear should kill a Zombie in one hit to the head. I would call a Spear that takes 3 or more head shots to kill a zombie more of a dull stick. lol I have been playing with the Spear myself and it is kinda OP a little. Last patch I tweaked it some but I think I need to greatly reduce the durability so you only get a few zombie kills before it needs repairs until its much higher quality.

Im not going to ignore your questions I just wanted to know if this was from playing or just reading the code. The melee in the mod is pretty good i think. Way better than vanilla i know that. And how your talking about it made me think you haven't actually tried it . Its no easy task to hit some of these zombies. They have all walk variants so its not like vanilla, all their heads are moving different and at different speeds and hitting them anywhere but that small head hit box doesn't even tickle them. I'm all open to a suggestion on how to have a head shot only mod that only effects zombies and doesn't hurt performance. If you got one let me hear it.

@ElderRider-

No looks like they removed the texture they had in for Copper Ore. I'll have to change that recipe. Open to suggestions

No looks like they removed the texture they had in for Copper Ore. I'll have to change that recipe. Open to suggestions

Try the texture for terrain filler maybe (403). A browny green, and some copper ores are green anyway. Or maybe the radiated texture since its not normally found underground so would be distinct.

It's rather easy to hit them. just aim over the head; you have a sphere of hit pretty decent on the spear (0.2), so if you aim over the head the game automatically make you hit the head. Often, if you aim the head, because of the sphere system it will make you hit something else more "close" thus you miss a lot the head.

I do agree the melee is better. I don't know about *all* zombie I might have miss, but so far yet I'v killed a bunch of different usual model walking like a spider, or walking like a cops (head a bit back), or walking with their arm hiding their head, etc. lot of variant, but as long as I do like I'v just said I don't have any problem hitting the head (unless you are forced to attack from bottom for sure).

No, you have the best solution so far (because of pvp). I asked because I didn't know why you would do that in first place, and now I know why as you explained it. If anything, could try to reduce the buff time to 1.1s and see if it report some sort of error (I did for a few minutes but who know ! I'm not a pro at modding buff). You could also eventually reduce the sphere, as it help a lot when you want to hit them.

Edited by Oragepoilu (see edit history)

<recipe name="glue" count="2" craft_area="workchemistryStation" craft_tool="beaker" craft_time="15" craft_exp_gain="10">

<ingredient name="Hoof" count="2"/>

<ingredient name="bottledWater" count="1"/>

</recipe>

but there's no recipe for it, just the item:

<item id="1956" name="Hoof">

<property name="Meshfile" value="Items/Misc/sackPrefab" />

<property name="DropMeshfile" value="Items/Misc/sack_droppedPrefab" />

<property name="HoldType" value="45" />

<property name="Material" value="organic" />

<property name="Stacknumber" value="250" />

<property name="Group" value="Resources" />

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="FiberRopeDesc" />

@ElderRider- Hoofs are harvested from Deers and Pigs

- - - Updated - - -

Update 12/18/2016-

Added Bone Meal Icon

Added Suter Kit Icon

Added Nitroglycerin Icon

Set Overalls quality drop in loot

Increased starting degradation amount on the Iron Spear

Added Venison Tenderloin Icon

Added Earth Worm Icon

Added Bow String Icon

Bow String repairs Compound Bow now

Increased Stick stack size to 5000

Increased Moral and Pestle ingredient amounts

Added Sharpening Stone Icon

Fixed Veggie Salad recipe

Decreased the speed that the Wooden Spike traps break when walked on

Added a hunger suppressant to the Stim and Addiction Buffs

Fixed Stim buff icon

Increased Yucca Fruit Stack to 100

Increased the Raw Meat drop on all animals

Changed a lot of medical items to give Medical XP when crafted

Lowered Hornets HP by 40%

Changed the follower with a Crossbow to use a Shotgun

Increased the amount of ammo dropped at a time

Increased the apply speed of the Zombie Head Shot buff. Less delay between hit and death

Added chance to find a Turd in Birdsnest

Rethink on Gun Smithing-

A15 gave us the Combine Feature that took the place of your Gun Part Upgrade System. This changes how our Gun Smithing works greatly. Where before we found crap parts and improved them to level Gun Smithing now we will need to find better parts and repair (lower the quality) to level Gun Smithing. So I have increased the quality range on all Gun Part drops from (1-50) to (1-350). With perks that make the highest quality drop possible a quality 500. So the player will need to use the Combine to get quality 600 parts/guns.

Did a pass through what the Traders can sell. I think we will use the Trades like the place you can go if you are having ♥♥♥♥ luck on a drop you need. It will be expensive but if you can’t find it anywhere you should be able to get it at a trader. I will need help setting prices so and suggestions on item prices are welcome.

Edited by Spider (see edit history)

I have to agree to Oragepoilu to some extent. But my experience is rather limited - I mostly fight with a spear and hardly fight any special zombie. And I don't notice much progress (if any) with my damage to zombies. It used to take 2-3 hits to the head with a gray spear when I was 1 level, and it takes the same 2-3 hits now, when I'm lvl 40 and have a blue spear. I've put 2 points both in the Knife Guy and Decapitator, but yet to see any decapitations or limb removal.

On the other hand - this mod is the first time when I prefer melee fight, never before I relied on melee in any mod or vanilla. You Spider made this mod so much harder in every way, but somehow fighting zeds (at least fighting normal zeds with a spear) is easier.

And yet don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game. Maybe we are missing something, a sense of progression, a need for stronger weapons, a need for firearms. But I'm not really a fighter, but rather a builder, so not a concern for me. And I'm still scared of Brute or Feral Walker and don't even approach bandits, so lets see...

Could be an issue with the spear? I play on survivalist, and absolutely notice a difference between my original, lowly wooden club vs walkers on headshots and the spiked club, even counting aside critical hits.

Bee take ages to kill with a bow. I'm waiting for them to charge and clearly aim the head, but I doubt they have one in their model. Can someone check if they can kill them ? took me a lot of arrow to take it down.

Wasted something like 50 arrows trying to down a bee* and gave up. Next time, managed to down one with a spiked club, but it takes me far more swings than I recall from my last play-around (which was mid-A14, I think). Would avoid them, but as a scientist I need those venom sacks!

*To be fair, I'm still unreliable at hitting bees with arrows, so probably only connected with half.

Edit:

Two minor issues I've noticed:

1)bears are so suped up (both in terms of strength and speed), that they can pretty much clear out a town on their own in short order. Just for kicks I kited a bear at a safe distance through a very large town and it managed to shred 100+ zombies easily in a very short period of time. Given the need for a head shot requirement, that meant tons of easy xp for me. Dunno of an easy fix to this problem though, or if it's necessarily a problem, given that it's a risky play style.

2) Dunno if intended, but you currently need a claw hammer and circular saw both to construct a wood working bench and another set for the tool dependent recipes. I would think the base structure of the bench would just require nails/glue/planks (maybe mechanical parts?). Just seems weird that you can't use the circular saw you just built into the workbench to cut planks.

Edited by BloodDeacon (see edit history)

So after a talk with unlike them, I report about a problem I had with the "overeating" debuff.

It's d5 90min/d and I started asap to eat regularly food that gave wellness, and quickly started to use only the charred sandwich. At d5 I went into a snow biome for about 10min, hunting some zombie, eat some sandwich during the trip (with a 3-in-a-row near a campfire while i was freezing a bit) and was fine. But like, 5 min later, while I was in the way up to my base the debuff started to pop up.

As I was slowed down, I did wait about 10 more min in my house but it didn't fade away like I would expect and worst I needed to eat more anyway.

I didn't try to abuse the wellness-in-the-cold thing, but end getting stuck anyway because of a small trip in the snow biome. I think it might need a bit of tweak. I took a look at the file, sound simple enough; 1 "stuffed" per 0.1 wellness so I am allowed to get about 0.2 wellness every 100s.

That's 0.002 wellness/s before having the debuff.

The player need (unless you take the perk, I'll talk about it later) 2 food every minute.

That's 0.033333 food/s required to stay alive.

My sandwich give me 16 food for 0.6 wellness.

That's a ratio of 1 food => 0.0375 wellness.

In the end I will eat 0.03333food/s, and it will give me 0.00125 wellness/s. as the cap is 0.002, I don't reach it , and it's fine, when I think only with the food.

As the drink is 1 water/30s, if I do the same with tea (lets say golden rod, 25 water/0.2 wellness, plenty everywhere to harvest) I need to add 0.0002667 wellness/s

That's a total of 0.00152 wellness/s. cap is 0.002, so I'm not on it yet but I start to get really close. I could eventually "loose" 0.000483/s.

However when I'm cold I need an additional food every 10s (or every 5s if I wait until hypo 5)

Same math, it add 0.00375 wellness/s, for a total of 0.00527 wellness/s. It's over the cap of 0.2 (+0.00327/s)

TL;DR for every second you are cold you need to spend 6.77s "not cold" to avoid being overfeed, if you use charred sandwich and goldenrodtea. Some other food is even BETTER at giving you wellness, and make this even worst.

You are not allowed to get cold but in a very quick situation because of this. Perk reduce your hunger/thirst but still not enough anyway to not get overfeed.

So, if you stay in an area where you are cold = do not eat food that give wellness (up to a certain point, see the math above).

I understand you try to avoid the player "farm" the wellness by using the cold but right now in normal gameplay people will get overfeed by playing in a normal way if they live in a cold area (unless they stick to super warm clothe/campfire). I don't think that's a very good idea, you solve a problem but add a worst one.

The biggest issue I have with this is that the slow come rather quickly (80pt only), don't give any warning about your satiation allowed, and slow you an INSANE lot as soon as you hit the cap.

If you think it's a good idea to keep this, here some idea to make it less painful as a feature (up to your liking if I convinced you :p ) :

-Give a "warning" buff that pop before you reach the cap ("I should stop eating useful/good food and instead eat raw fruit")

-increase the cap a slight (90, 100 ?) so you can make a short trip

-Maybe not go straight up to 40% speed, add one step instead of being a death sentence if there is a zombie nearby

-Have the stuffed value being reduced more quickly if you are over 100 (or more if you increase the cap)

-Have the stuffed value decrease more over some special condition (over a bed for example[Edit : both last shouldn't happen if you are actually cold])

Update 12/18/2016-

Changed Turd name

Fixed Steel Arrow not hitting anything

Removed Claw Hammer and Circular Saw from recipe

Added Bow String to Crossbow recipe

Increased stamina use and delay on Spear

Increased recipe ingredient list and max ingredients in a recipe to 7

Lowered crafting XP on Log Spikes

So,

The buff headshot applied over only one second works so far for me (SP). it clearly reduce the dmg I do, feel more natural (no more stacking dmg) and now avoiding the fat man explosion is a pain in the but (I miss one shot with the spear = he will explose, I need to finda ranged weapon ...). So far so good !

edit : Ha, yes, small thing i forgot to say.

Stone axe : 0.8 speed, 8,26 block dmg (1vs earth), 6 stamina/use

Stone shovel : 1.1 speed, 20,30 block dmg (1vs earth)

At lvl 1 : Stone axe do 10 block dmg per second for 3.75 stamina/s

Stone shovel do 18 block dmg/s for 4.5stamina/s

At lv600 : Stone axe do 32 block dmg/s while stone shovel do 27 block dmg/s

Also, if you use the second action of the stone axe at lv600 you do 52blockdmg/s for 6 stamina/s (extra good as it's near a multiple of 50 and thus don't waste much on earth block that are 200 or 250 hp !)

TL;DR the stone axe >>> stone shovel at digging

Way to "fix" it :

Remove the stone shovel if it's not relevant (atm it act as a trap item, wasting the time of player. not a big deal to remove it !)

OR some of the above

Reduce the earth dmg of the stone axe (1 & 2 => 0.5 & 1)

Increase the stone shovel block dmg vs earth (1 => 1.5)

Add a second action for the shovel, that is more efficient than the second action of the stone axe (vs earth 2.5, so 3 to 4 hit for earth block of 200/250 hp when hight ql to be on par with the stone axe that is 4 & 5 hit)

Have the stone shovel be more stamina efficient than the stone axe (as it's a bit more adapted tool for digging). atm it's the opposite

As the stone shovel can only be used to dig, it need to be relevant in his only function over his brother.

Might need to take a look at the engineer stone shovel too, if you do some change.

So after a talk with unlike them, I report about a problem I had with the "overeating" debuff.

Math...Math....Math...Math...

(Coulda just posted your opinion and this suggestion and save people 5 min of their life)

If you think it's a good idea to keep this, here some idea to make it less painful as a feature (up to your liking if I convinced you :p ) :

-Give a "warning" buff that pop before you reach the cap ("I should stop eating useful/good food and instead eat raw fruit")

-increase the cap a slight (90, 100 ?) so you can make a short trip

-Maybe not go straight up to 40% speed, add one step instead of being a death sentence if there is a zombie nearby

-Have the stuffed value being reduced more quickly if you are over 100 (or more if you increase the cap)

-Have the stuffed value decrease more over some special condition (over a bed for example[Edit : both last shouldn't happen if you are actually cold])

I have not even gotten the overeating buff yet. I can barley feed my self let alone get stuffed. You need to eat 8.2 wellness in less than 1 game hour to get the Stuffed Buff and then it will only last for one game hour before it wears off. When you say you were freezing do you mean you had hypothermia? You say you were eating Charred Meat. Charred meat does +9Food +.5Wellness. That means to get a Overstuffed deBuff you would need to eat 17 Charred Meats in less than one game hour. Thats +153 food. Thats more than being full. Sounds to me if you did that you should have a overeating buff and its working exactly as intended you little piggy.

Edited by Spider (see edit history)

I just wanted to mention this. I have been updating True Survival for almost 2 years now. I think I started in Alpha 9 or 10. I say this because as a Modder once I put something in and it works I usually don’t come back to it unless I get a bug report saying somethings wrong with it. So some modded features were coded nearly 2 years ago with Alpha 9 code. And with each new feature TFP add it can completely change how a modded feature works. The reason I say all this is because sometimes I think players see something strange in the mod and just assume I did it that way on purpose when really it was coded a year ago for A12 and I completely forgot it’s even in there. So if you see something that doesn’t make since with the rest of the mod please speak up.

Most of the cool features in the mod were suggestions by players. So if you enjoy a challenging game and are having fun playing the mod please don’t be afraid to share your opinion and suggestions on how to make it better. I may do the work but good player input is what makes it an enjoyable mod to play.

- - - Updated - - -

@ElderRider-

Sorry I dont know why that link wont work. Heres a copy paste from where it takes you-

No this is from the detailed buff information in the new SMX UI . It is harmless and TFP have been notified. It only happens on servers and you can windows out the game and close it to get around the error. I like the detailed buffs so i didnt change it, to me its worth the 2 extra clicks to leave the game. Im hoping this gets fixed and if not it will only neffect servers and if it becomes a problem I might change it.

(Coulda just posted your opinion and this suggestion and save people 5 min of their life)

I have not even gotten the overeating buff yet. I can barley feed my self let alone get stuffed. You need to eat 8.2 wellness in less than 1 game hour to get the Stuffed Buff and then it will only last for one game hour before it wears off. When you say you were freezing do you mean you had hypothermia? You say you were eating Charred Meat. Charred meat does +9Food +.5Wellness. That means to get a Overstuffed deBuff you would need to eat 17 Charred Meats in less than one game hour. Thats +153 food. Thats more than being full. Sounds to me if you did that you should have a overeating buff and its working exactly as intended you little piggy.

I wrote a TL;DR, the math was just to show that I just don't post random stuff and not think about it before posting.

I could eventually just have post "I'm overstuffed ! Help !" and that wouldn't help much.

I was using charred sandwich, +16/0.6. Not charred meat.

I think the biggest issue when I think of it is that I didn't used the "normal" time value (Didn't noticed yet). You set 100t/-2 stuffed point, but my "t" value is bigger than the base one because I changed the time per day. yet I need to eat more food per hour.

That's only -2pt per hour btw, while debuff come at 80, I don't see how you can it could "only last one hour". If i'm at 79pt, eat some thing (0.6, if i don't drink) i will be at 85pt : that's 2.5 hours at last. You could have added a safety measure, that instead of having the buff pop at 80 and fade only when you are under 80, have the buff pop a 80 for a fixed duration and reset the system after, or something like this.

Would be cool to have a small part in your first post about the setting not allowed to be changed (like running zombie, etc).

edit : or replace "100t" by "125" (that's the number of second per hour in a 50min setting)