True Survival

Spider

Ya True Survival does not support a 90min day. Increasing the day time lowers the difficulty of the game. True Survival is designed to be set at 50-60min days. There are a few post about suggested server settings in this thread but I could include the suggested game settings in the Instruction Read Me file that comes with the mod.

I said it last an hour because you lose 2 overstuffed stacks per game hour. So if you trigger it then the shortest time you will have it is 1/2 a game hour. If you eat way to much then you pay the price. No debuff limit. The point is to not game the wellness system. No comfort will be given to exploiters.

You have some sort of misunderstanding of the code that is actually used.

First we have

<buff id="overStuffed" name_key="OverStuffed" buffif="stuffed gequal 80" debuffif="stuffed lequal 80" type="speedmodifier" description_key="You have gorged yourself to the point you can barely move" tooltip_key="Your stuffed" icon="stuffed">

That mean the "slow" debuff is here only when you are at 80pt or more

then we have

<buff id="stuffedFade" buffif="stuffed greater 0" debuffif="stuffed less 1" actions="increment(stuffed, -2, 100t, 0, 0);min(stuffed, 0)" />

It only mean you loose "2" of the "stuffed" value every in game hour.

Stuffed value isn't overstuffed debuff.

Overstuffed come when stuffed value reach 80, but overstuffed doesn't decrease : only stuffed decrease.

If you would want to have overstuffed decrease in one hour, you would need to have "-80" instead of "-2".

hello, nice mod :D, started playing with 2 of my friends and it is just great , we die a lot , we cry a lot , we run/scream/bla bla bla. i have a question regarding how to make a dedicated server for me and max 3 other players. Playing a lan game kind of makes my pc suffer so I am a really really new guy when it comes to making a server for this game (especially with mods). Could you recommend me a program? and some steps to add this mod ? :D

Most of the cool features in the mod were suggestions by players. So if you enjoy a challenging game and are having fun playing the mod please don’t be afraid to share your opinion and suggestions on how to make it better. I may do the work but good player input is what makes it an enjoyable mod to play.

First, let me say I really love what you have created in this mod. I had lots of hours in on Vanilla, then the Valmods, then finally found this. I have only gotten to day 15 on my first real play through, but I wanted to post a few thoughts as I wait for UPS to deliver my new gaming rig that arrives in a few hours. Perfect time to restart a second play though.

First, Can you make some recommended settings for single player? Reading through the forum, it seems somethings like day length, loot %, loot respawn time etc. have recommended settings for the experience to play out as you intended. It would be great if you could list those on the mods first page.

Second, The game is almost too hard until you unlearn some vanilla established behaviors. For example, in vanilla you are safe to gather for a while i'm your spawn area. Not so in this mod. I had Z's spawn behind me while selecting my class and had to haul butt for a while. It seems a better idea to just run till you find a few buildings as without a decent lootable area your survivability is very low. A beginners tips sticky written by a veteran would be very helpful.

Finally, some minor stuff. No timer on snowberry poisoning, no apparent indication when crops are ready for harvest, Iron ore hardness seems equal to solid iron, making getting that first anvil a grind (unless Im missing an easy route that would be a nice addition to the tips sticky), no warning of the inability to move a forge with a wrench like in vanilla (found one in a POI and was quite shocked when it broke under the wrench!), and the spawn rate on the crazed zombie animals seems too high at low level (1-5) when you only have a wood club to defend.

All that said, this is an amazing mod. I look forward to the next playthough!

A beginners tips sticky written by a veteran would be very helpful.

Let me consider myself a veteran :) and give some starting tips:

- In the first minutes/days you can rely on followers' help. If some zeds chase you, you can run up to a standing NPC and he will kill them. You can even make an NPC follow you for 30 sec if you hit him. This way you can lead him to your base.

- Clear some POI (with a follower's help?) to spend the night. If night is coming and you have nowhere to hide, you can craft some tiny 4 walls 'shack' from grass hays or cabin log wood. Wood frames blocks is a too advanced technology for a starter :)

- Zeds are not so hard to kill if you aim for the head. Melee is an option.

- The infected rabbits and chicken are very scary, but not really dangerous. They damage you for 1 hp and are easy to kill. But they can bite you.

- You will have a LONG time to run with your stone tools. Don't think about switching to Iron Tools as soon as you find a forge POI. Forget vanilla habits.

- Food is gonna be a constant problem. Farming is difficult. My advice is to roam different biomes and harvest wild crops there. Apples from pine forest, yukka from desert, carrot from maple forest and corn from plains. Potato and snowberries are scarce. You can combine apples+yukka and carrots+corn. That is your starting menu.

- Read the buff descriptions and how to heal your numerous wounds. The info is there.

- Be ready for a really slow progression, and a rather miserable life in the early game. But each achievement feels really rewarding.

Edited by unlike them (see edit history)

Thought-

What do ya'll think about removing the Weapon Crafting Skill and putting all the weapons in their material group. So Bows and Wooden Club would be Wood Working, Iron Club and Spears would be Iron Working and so on. I think this might make more sense and help with leveling through the material stages(Wood>Stone>Iron>Steel)

It's an interesting idea. You mentioned that later when you get guns the melee is obsolete. I disagree with this because melee doesn't use up ammo. If you play with big hordes you might quickly run out of ammo, but with melee you can keep on going. Usually i combine melee and guns even in the endgame. However i also don't see a problem with weapon skill being removed. Weapon crafting is a grindy skill to level so it might be better without it, but ofc some of the grindy would just carry over to the other skill categories. If the skill is removed i hope there will be still enough skill points available to get the perks you want. One change would be that you can't just level weapon skill and pick any weapon to fight with, but rather first pick a weapon, then level the skill and then stick to the weapons you get under that skillgroup. I suppose one benefit from removing the skill could be that you probably won't get good iron weapons early on, to make the progression a bit slower.

I can't tell which way would be better but i think it could work if you want to try out your idea.

I also wanted to post about the hornets since i also had some issues with them.

This happened before the latest update that reduced the hp. I have a few concerns about the hornets. The main one is about the venom. Because of the horde system, you can expect hornets early on regardless of biome. The most likely place to encounter them, is when you hide for the night in a building, and you're on the roof where you are elevated and closer to the hornets for a long time. This also means it will be really dark unless you have alot of fuel to fuel several torches through the night. Before the last update i fought a hornet, and i shot it with about 30 arrows (playing on Insane) before it died (i tried to shoot as many with sneak damage as i could but not sure if it worked). While shooting you can't hold a torch, so you will be dodging in the dark on the roof, which makes it very likely to get hit and poisoned. Once poisoned, it will be no easy task to get the antivenom. First, you must succesfully harvest the hornet corpse, or make an effort to find another hornet (which can be hard), to get the venom glands. Second, you will need a chem station, and third, you need a beaker. Getting a chem station early on, and in the limited amount of time the poisoning stages give you may be down to having or not having luck. The third and most difficult part is getting a beaker. I tried finding a beaker with scavenging level around 10, and i went through all shelves of a pop n pill, and dozens of med cabinets in the village where i was but found nothing. There's also the possibility of crafting a beaker, but i think this is only possible if you started as scientist.

So i would say that in most cases getting stung within the first two weeks or so will result in a situation where you can't save yourself. I like the challenge of being poisoned, but i would like to see a better chance to make an antivenom if you get poisoned. For example, make beakers a more common drop, or make antivenom not require a beaker when crafted in a chem station, perhaps make it possible to craft antivenom in a campfire, or make chem stations easier to craft in the early game, or add a second remedy that can be used instead of antivenom that requires some effort but also not completely down to chance to get a hold of (could be one that cures early stages only).

I'd also suggest lowering the hornet hp some more. (30 hits -40% = 18 hits)

@Oragepoilu-

Yes I really don't understand the buff system maybe you could make me a tutorial so I can figure it out.*sarcasm off* But anyways. I do see a error in it though it should be -debuffif="stuffed lequal 79"-. Other than that its working as intended.

@ dinusocol-

Thanks. I'm not a server expert. I just rent one when I need one. Installation is the same for servers as players. Players will still need the mod installed to play on the server.

@xyth

Thanks glad your liking it. I just added Suggested Game Settings in the Installation/Settings file that comes with the mod. The safe zone is a game setting. It has nothing to do with the Mod or vanilla. Its just a setting and time period you select before starting the game. Does Snowberry Poisoning normally have a timer? I think its a hidden buff so you wouldn't get a timer on it, I can look into but i haven't tinkered with it. Are you trying to mine iron with a Stone Axe? Just an FYI if you haven't figured it out. -Wood does not hurt Stone>Stone does not hurt Iron>Iron does not hurt Steel-. Early game to get iron break stuff, like office chairs school desk and metal Chairs. Also once you get a wrench you're good. Use it on Stoves,Sinks,Refrigerators,Cars,Toilets, Desk just about anything metal and you will have plenty of Scrap Iron. I have been thinking of adding a tool that will move Work Stations but it wont be Wrench or something in game now. You don't want someone breaking into your base and picking up all your work stations.

"Also once you get a wrench you're good. Use it on Stoves,Sinks,Refrigerators,Cars,Toilets, Desk just about anything metal and you will have plenty of Scrap Iron."

For me, this has been the single most important detail to early survival. Raid every car you come across and every POI with a sink. Once you hit level 10, you're going to want enough raw iron/pipes/springs to get a forge with anvil running so you can craft and recycle hunting knives, which both lets you collect quality cuts from animal kills, and gives you an alternative means to improve your weapon smithing skills at night while still concentrating on woodworking in your inventory (which you will absolutely want to do, so you can eventually transition from the wood age to stone age).

One other tip -- while non-wasteland cities are absolutely deadly early on, non-wasteland towns can be slowly conquered, particularly if you bring followers to assist. You can distinguish between the two because cities will have a strict matrix appearance with each square populated by a building or ruins and a border of ruined cobblestone at each edge, while towns have a much more sparsely populated environment, and don't have any ruined buildings beyond the occasional special POI. You'll also know you're in a city when you see a cop in the distance and four or five dogs have reduced you to a bloody pulp.

By morning of day 3, unless I'm lucky enough to run across a wrench in a car or rural POI (has only happened to me twice so far), I always start looking for a town. The "Ostrich hotel" POI is a jackpot for early wrenches, and a decent place to hole up during the week, although a terrible place to attempt to deal with a 7 day horde.

Edited by BloodDeacon (see edit history)

Let me consider myself a veteran :) and give some starting tips:

- Be ready for a really slow progression, and a rather miserable life in the early game. But each achievement feels really rewarding.

Thanks for all the good advice, especially the food combos. I like the slow pace actually, and I prefer to play dead is dead, so I'm really cautious. I took about 10 starts to stay alive until day 15, but I admit I turn up loot % and lowered difficultly a notch on that one. I tend to quit when I feel overpowered, which usually happens when I had a sniper rifle and bike. I can see that time is a long time off. This mod is hard when you have to restart every death.

@ Spider - Thanks for the recommendations....

@BD - Yeah, finding a small town is a smart move. In my current run I sat on the third floor of a gas station POI and never saw a single mob. Of course i made it so they fell through the floor each level up. and got nothing for exp, but I'm alive....

Edited by xyth
adding (see edit history)

Ok when ever SDX comes out and I have to break saves I will be removing the Weapon Crafting Skill and put the weapons in their proper material tech(Wood/Stone/Iron/Steel). This should help with Material Tech progression and eliminate the need to craft weapons you don't need.

Looking for thoughts on a better Medical Skill System. Right now crafting and using Meds raises your Medicine Skill. But the better player you are the more difficult leveling this skill becomes because if your not getting hurt your not using Meds and I don't like requiring a player to craft(grind) un needed items. So thoughts on ways to make this better?

Another thing. Weapon reach. I tweaked this a while ago and I'm looking for feed back on it. If you want to leave your thoughts on it please make sure to tell me if you are playing SP or on a server because online play requires just a little more reach than SP because of lag. I'm thinking all melee weapons need to be shortened by maybe -0.2 but I want to see what others think first.

Also I am thinking the melee weapons need more of a difference between them. Right now all Blunt weapons have the same bonus Zombie head damage -200hp and all Blades have the same bonus zombie head damage -400hp. Im thinking this needs to be a bit more complicated. Like have the Wooden Club have a bonus of -100hp and the Iron Club have -200hp and the Spike Club have -300hp and so on and so on.Then do the same with Bladed Weapons. This will at lest make improving the type of weapon your using make more of a difference than now.

Two possible branches for medicine (crafting/using any of these would improve the skill):

Anti-zombie (offensive) debuffs that can injected etc.

-Slow or stun a zombie temporarily

-Apply a DoT that will be deadly to normal zeds after 10-20 seconds

-Temporarily "berserk" a zombie so it will attack anything in its vicinity (including other zombies)

Additional buffs

-Something that slows down your metabolism (cigar/cigarette with lessened drawbacks)

-Something that reduces your stamina use with certain tasks (mining, disassembling)

-Something that improves your resistance to certain attacks (e.g. puke)

Obviously these would need careful balancing, because some could easily become overpowered.

SP player safezone setting

In the recommended settings for MP, it provides a 12 hour safe zone if the player is under L10. In SP, you are typically attacked at your spawn location in the first hour, so this setting doesn't seem to be set in SP. Do you know what file manages that function in SP?

Been playing the mod extensively and accumulated some more feedback/notes:

Block upgrade progression needs more work. Besides the two main progressions (wood-metal and stone-concrete) we have a small "flagstone-adobe-concrete progression" and this is OK. Maybe adding flagstone and adobe to the stone progression would complicate it too much. But I suggest the following tweaks:

- add the abuility to upgrade cobblestone to bricks for all the existing shapes (currently only cubic cobblestone block upgrades to bricks)

- enable wedge and tip brick blocks (they are already in game, just not in the mod). This one is personal, I need them for my castle.

- also I need a concrete half block (1/2 block), 1/4 and 1/8 blocks. There are no cobblestone shapes for them, so maybe just make in possible to craft them from concrete mix?

- for those cobblestone shapes that upgrade directly to concrete (poles, plates etc), maybe it makes more sense to use concrete mix to upgrade them, not clay.

- when I destroy those concrete shapes (all except cubes), they don't downgrade back to cobblestone, but get destroyed. I don't think it is intended. Same with flagstone-adobe-concrete, it doesn't downgrade.

- cubic concrete upgrades directly to DRY r.concrete (all other blocks upgrade to WET).

Killing zombies doesn't feel rewarding, loot is scarce, xp is not noticeble. So I kill only to protect myself or to clear the area when looting POI. Maybe it is the direction of the mod, we want it to be hard, but still, looting zombies feels dissapointing. The exception is special zombies of course (nurses, lamberjacks, UMAs, ferals) their loot is attractive enough to hunt them down. I would add some special loot to Brute, he is hard to kill, but seems not to have much on him. Also too many empty bags, I don't even bother to stop and check them up. I don't know a solution to this, what to add to their loot without making the game easier.

- I have never had a screamer spawn, though my forge is running for days.

- I don't get 'porkbelly' from a pig anymore (I think after Update 12/18/2016). Maybe bad luck or did you remove it from the mod? Or do I need a field knife for it now?

- You "Increased the Raw Meat drop on all animals", but I don't feel it was needed. In my opinion the old amount was just right. Or was it to allow the new 'animalguts' item?

- Maybe change the field knife recipe to require steel?

- I still have this 'never ending healing bug'. The only thing that removes it seems to be a bleeding buff. But after I eat anything, it triggers again. The others don't seem to have this bug/cheat, maybe my profile is bugged, idk. One time I even had two healing buffs at a time, but they cancelled each other, so I could not heal from food at all (only medicine).

- And I still find the new wound system kinda forgiving. I never experienced small/normal/severe wound or gash. I have bleeding quite often, and bruised, and bitten, but not those 'wounds'.

- when scrapping atlatls (more than one), it gives more scrap iron than it takes to craft. An exploit to grind weapon smithing and gain scrap iron.

- 'crappy wood railing' is more expensive than the 'neat' one (type 'wood railing' to see them both).

- probably already disscussed, but why not move engineer's tools to the upper tier, to replace steel tools and not iron? Currently I'm an engineer at the Iron Age and I find them a bit expensive to build (I want to save those mechanical parts for later).

- why not to add a power swing to shovels, like other tools?

- I'd love to have the tools 'non breakable', so when reaching zero durability they stopped working, but did not dissapear. So you could scrap/smelt/repair them. I think Valmod has it this way.

- I remember you mentioned you wanted to remove buff descriptions/timers from the main HUD, because clutter. It doesn't seem clutter to me, I really enjoy both icons and descriptions with timers.

- Any plans to bring hygiene system back? Or is it gone for good?

- Clarify Miner69er description.

- Coffee beans description mentions they can be planted. Might confuse some new players.

- We need to decide if we want the workbenches 'movable' or not. Currently only chemistry station and wood workbench can be dismantled with a wrench.

- The mod is awesome.

In the recommended settings for MP, it provides a 12 hour safe zone if the player is under L10. In SP, you are typically attacked at your spawn location in the first hour, so this setting doesn't seem to be set in SP. Do you know what file manages that function in SP?

No I don't. I do know I have only seen it in rented server config files. And I do know it works, its on the Official Server. Im not sure how to get it to work in SP. I guess TFP forgot to put the toggle in the Game Setting Ui but it really is a needed thing for starting out.

Thanks for all your feedback Unlike Them

I don’t think I can add the Keep What you Make system to all the shapes. It’s much more complicated than it looks and takes a lot of blocks to accomplish. I want to do the Ramps but I don’t think I have the empty block id's to do all the shapes. Also I’m not looking to invest too much time into anything to do with blocks until A16.

If you want some special block added to the Mod recipes please give me the Block id# and the name from the cheat menu.

If the normal Zombie loot is any good people will never leave their bases and just sit and let loot come to them. Zombies are not walking loot chest they are undead monsters that want to eat your face.

I don’t know what to tell you about the heal bug. No one else has had anything like that happen. Maybe a screen shot with the buff icon name and decryption so I can see what’s on you

Need the block id# on the railing you’re talking about

If you make Engineers Tools better than Steel tools, everyone would pick Engineers. They hit harder, use less Stamina and have more durability what’s not to like.

Shovels are not weapons and you can’t swing it like a bat

If you want to scrap your tool do it before it breaks :)

No I was thinking about removing the name and keeping the Icon and timer

No plans on bringing the hygiene system back. Why? Did you like it?

What do you mean clarify?

I think I’m going to make a special tool that will be able to move workbenches.

Thanks!

(keep it on the ground)

The blocks I need:

- (939) brick metal wedge

- (1140) brick metal wedge tip

- (1262) green metal ramp

- (1263) green metal block

- (1266) green metal corner full

- (1356) green metal wedge

- (1357) green metal wedge tip

- and if it is possible (there is no such block) a green metal pyramid

- (775) concrete 1/2 block

- (774) concrete 1/4 block

- (773) concrerte 1/8 block

- (1546) metal pipe straight

- (1548) metal pipe corner

- (1549) metal pipe joint

- (1553) metal pipe flange

Yeah, maybe balancing the blocks progression is not worth it, because A16 is gonna be a total overhaul.

About the wood railing: (1144) wood railing costs only 5 planks and looks neat, while (1273) wood railing costs 10 planks and 5 nails and looks crappy.

Miner69er description mentions mining tools, but we don't have this category. So you need to correct the description.

Edited by unlike them (see edit history)

I wonder if an admin or a modder have any abuility to change rain probability/duration? This never ending rain was probably the very reason of the zombie apocalipse.

You can modify that setting in the biomes.xml

Per the xml file:

Description of Options:

Temperature

Values are in fahrenheit and subtract the temperature in

this biome from the global temperature.

Fog

Values are between 0 and 100. The result is used to determine

whether or not to use the "Foggy" Environment spectrums for

lighting and fog intensities. If there is a Spectrum Condition

defined in the WeatherManager prefab that checks for a "Fog"

condition, the result of this Weather Control will be checked

against for the biome.

CloudThickness

Values are between 0 and 100. 0 restricts any clouds from

showing up in the sky. 100 allows for the thickest clouds in

the sky.

Precipitation

Values are between 0 and 100. Values restrict a biome to allow

the min and max intensity of rain in the biome. BUT!!! The

result is dependant on CloudThickness as well. Clouds must

be above 70 thickness in order for rain to be possible in the biome.

Wind

Values are between 0 and 100. 0 restricts the biome to no

possible wind, and 100 allows the windiest conditions in the biome.

Question: I was fortunate enough to find 2 (seriously - 2) Bikes in a box in a basement when I was level 1. I stashed them cause I found a nice town that has gotten me to level 10 with few issues. My question is I can't seem to refuel the assembled bike. I have gas cans in both my pack and in the bike basket. I bought the gas perk. I read the dummies book. I have used bikes in other mods and know how to refuel, so I'm clearly missing something here. Knowing Spider he requires a very rare funnel that can only be found on Feral Z's...... ;-)