Still no jars

Kartan

There are jars. They are made automaticly in the dew collector and filled with (dirty) water. As for containers, as far as i know, there are still buckets suitable for that task in the game.

3 hours ago, Mister Forgash said:

To be safe, we should make it mandatory to craft forks or chopsticks in order to eat. It's the apocalypse and your hands are dirty. This game is an abomination to COMMON SENSE!!

/s

We need to craft coffee filters, and spend time at each station in order to properly cook stuff.

Oh wait, we should get refrigeration going too, otherwise all of this food will go rotten.

I've been back to playing A19. Everyone remembers glass jars far more fondly than they should. I've gotten to the point where I'm just throwing them out. I haven't had to fill any. During my 1.0 play-through I found the dew collector system and the water you find around to have been more than enough.

I think being able to get a canteen (not a craftable item) but only through a trader as a reward for quests. it can fill the equivalent of 2 or 3 glass jars of water, you can fill it up from lakes/pools bring it back boil it, and or fill it up at a dew collector. You can buy more canteens later from other traders along the way but expensive rare item so you cant end up with too many canteens later on.

28 minutes ago, Javabean867 said:

We need to craft coffee filters

You jest, but the best coffee is made without filters... freshly, coarsely ground beans at the bottom of your pot, pour carefully not to mix the grinds in your drink.

2 minutes ago, aceguy7 said:

bring it back boil it

Or bring a cooking pot to the lake, and you've broken the artifical-glue-production-limiter again.

6 minutes ago, theFlu said:

You jest, but the best coffee is made without filters... freshly, coarsely ground beans at the bottom of your pot, pour carefully not to mix the grinds in your drink.

I have seen this in older movies and videos but this makes no sense unless you find a way to hold back the grinds when pouring. Or just use a cheap espresso machine like I do. I have not made coffee in my coffee maker for months now. Of course I do not bother with frothed milk any more, but it really is easier and takes less time.

Cheaper too, and the can stay fresh in the refrigerator.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

this makes no sense unless you find a way to hold back the grinds when pouring.

I could take offense at that, but I'll just point out this: it was the way it was done by my great grandmother (for realz). I've also done it by myself quite a few times, camping and/or just having the equipment to.. the grinds sink; as long as you don't shake it about too much you can pour a nice clean cup. And even if you get a few grinds in there, they'll remain at the bottom of your cup. We even have the coarser grinds ready at stores just for the purpose.

The procedure leads to a "fattier" tasting coffee, probably a little less bitter.

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

I could take offense at that, but I'll just point out this: it was the way it was done by my great grandmother (for realz). I've also done it by myself quite a few times, camping and/or just having the equipment to.. the grinds sink; as long as you don't shake it about too much you can pour a nice clean cup. And even if you get a few grinds in there, they'll remain at the bottom of your cup. We even have the coarser grinds ready at stores just for the purpose.

The procedure leads to a "fattier" tasting coffee, probably a little less bitter.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking this was so important to you. Most of us have parents and/or grandparents who made coffee like this most of their lives, some have special recopies for making coffee this way, such as:

5 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

such as:

Heh, that's a roughly sufficient dose.

Don't worry, I'm not upset, just ... if

7 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

Most of us have parents and/or grandparents who made coffee like this most of their lives

then how come:

2 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

this makes no sense

:D

33 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Heh, that's a roughly sufficient dose.

Don't worry, I'm not upset, just ... if

then how come:

:D

Because I started drinking coffee regularly around (although mostly instant to begin with) in about 1996 and everybody and their mother had a coffee maker that used a filter about that time. Except my time on the range in Wyoming when we sat in front of a campfire - no I'm a city boy, so besides seeing a percolator coffee pot in my moms pantry I have never seen one used except on an episode of the The Waltons.

Look at it this way. If I was on a campfire in the country I would not be having any coffee (other than instant) until we left for the city so I could buy a Starrbucks, and I would have a huge headache until that time.

My loss I guess.

14 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

and I would have a huge headache until that time.

Yikes :)

I got into drinking instant a few years ago; normally I'd drink about 10 mugs a day, the instant is a little less jittery. Althou, I've been without any caffeine for almost three weeks now, I used some zero-sugar-coke to dodge the headaches for the first two days, worked fine. I still want some half the time, but I'm kinda back to normal otherwise atm... well, "normal" :D

18 minutes ago, bobrpggamer said:

My loss I guess.

Not a big loss, but give it a go sometime :) Works with just a small pot like Stevie uses in the clip, maybe dose a little less to begin with ... Eggs aren't a horrible addition, but it turns into more of a meal then.. butter is great ;)

1 minute ago, theFlu said:

Yikes :)

I got into drinking instant a few years ago; normally I'd drink about 10 mugs a day, the instant is a little less jittery. Althou, I've been without any caffeine for almost three weeks now, I used some zero-sugar-coke to dodge the headaches for the first two days, worked fine. I still want some half the time, but I'm kinda back to normal otherwise atm... well, "normal" :D

Not a big loss, but give it a go sometime :) Works with just a small pot like Stevie uses in the clip, maybe dose a little less to begin with ... Eggs aren't a horrible addition, but it turns into more of a meal then.. butter is great ;)

Like I was saying earlier I have begun to live of Espresso. I keep the can in the Fridge and just do a double shot in the portafilter (looked that up) and I get a shot of coffee in a about 2 minutes. I prefer it now due to the ease and speed of it.  Unfortunately my a steam wand stopped working. I love the frothed milk, but it saves time I guess.

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

Well, once you get your PC properly settled, time to figure out what's wrong with that one.. :)

Correction: my steam-wand stopped working. Just caught that. I probably edit my posts at least 5 times right after I post. Probably have dyslexia of some sort.

2 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Probably have dyslexia of some sort.

Well, me too, I guess, I never noticed your typo .. :D

10 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

beating at a dead horse

Yeah, I'm usually opposed to derailing threads, but I'm happily promoting proper coffee culture here .. 😛 

11 minutes ago, theFlu said:

Yeah, I'm usually opposed to derailing threads, but I'm happily promoting proper coffee culture here .. 😛 

At least the coffee conversation, though nowhere near related to the topic or really even the game, is better than the boring and overdone jar topic.

19 hours ago, aceguy7 said:

I think being able to get a canteen (not a craftable item) but only through a trader as a reward for quests. it can fill the equivalent of 2 or 3 glass jars of water, you can fill it up from lakes/pools bring it back boil it, and or fill it up at a dew collector. You can buy more canteens later from other traders along the way but expensive rare item so you cant end up with too many canteens later on.

its called the water filter mod for your helmet and a bucket.  Create a basic with a bunch of cube blocks.  fill it with water from from a bucket and you have all the water you can drink(which apparently is quite a lot lol.

23 hours ago, Javabean867 said:

we should get refrigeration going too, otherwise all of this food will go rotten.

I, and many others, actually want this. There is so much food in the game that food spoilage would be easily manageable. Plus is would personally give me a reason to use electricity.

On 10/6/2024 at 12:58 PM, bobrpggamer said:

I have seen this in older movies and videos but this makes no sense unless you find a way to hold back the grinds when pouring.

Just get a coffee press? Glass beaker, stainless screen, with a handle. It is the simplest and cheapest form of coffee pot and makes the purest coffee. No plastic, no paper, no electricity. I haven't owned a "coffee maker" for over 20 years.