A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

Suggestion: I saw in another mod, might be clockworks, where items needed cord, when crafting. For example the stone axe needs cording, wood, and stone. Plant fibers are needed to craft cord, as in rope

Seems a bit redundant. The stone tools are the only tools I can think of where it makes sense for them to use cord. IN which case they're already using plant fiber. Adding cord seems like it'd just be adding one more step to make something. That being said I might go a similar route once I have a more solid plan for the tools.

I've been speculating on making the tools, at least the iron and steel ones, be "part" items. You'll craft the head of the tool in a forge. Problem is, last time I tested, tools with parts have to have 4 parts. So its not as simple as head and shaft (no pun intended). So for that reason I haven't really went down that path just yet.

Valmar

I'm using ValmodA14Beta7.

Also found that arrows and bows are locked, but crosbow bolts are not.

Edit:

btw when you start a fresh game, i don't get a suitcase and key to select a profession

Strange, the study desk works fine for me in that build. Server or singleplayer?

I'll lock the bolts behind the crossbow schematic.

Were you playing as a female by chance? I notice I forgot to add her starting items in the file. How sexist of me. I'll address that.

I love the idea of tools having parts. Possible say....for shovel, head, wood shaft, nails, and ummm i see your point. Can you add in nails twice? Like head, wood shaft, nails, nails. So its 4 parts? Or glue, but glue not easy to find or make really.

The cordage i think adds to immersion, cause youd have to turn the plant fiber into a cord to tie on the stone.

yeah, back in older versions, you actually DID that. you harvest grass you get grass. you then CRAFT the grass into plant fibers [aka cordage] to use in the axe. same with smalle stones, those were crafted into sharp rocks, and the logs into planks, into sticks. since then...it's all...like...precrafted. it's kinda simplified. it kinda makes you feel powerful, then you get into the real world, and find out, to make even a meter of grass cordage can take you a good half an hour. and forget about yukka cordage. that takes processing, which can make it several hours. but yeah. if anything, Im happy with adding a bit more...detail, and believability back in. like TerraFirmaCraft did for vanilla minecraft.

yeah, back in older versions, you actually DID that. you harvest grass you get grass. you then CRAFT the grass into plant fibers [aka cordage] to use in the axe. same with smalle stones, those were crafted into sharp rocks, and the logs into planks, into sticks. since then...it's all...like...precrafted. it's kinda simplified. it kinda makes you feel powerful, then you get into the real world, and find out, to make even a meter of grass cordage can take you a good half an hour. and forget about yukka cordage. that takes processing, which can make it several hours. but yeah. if anything, Im happy with adding a bit more...detail, and believability back in. like TerraFirmaCraft did for vanilla minecraft.

Part of the problem is that there is a limit to the number of items you can have in the xml file. Going from plant fibers to cordage to stone axe does nothing but use up an item id for cordage, and add another step that doesn't add much value to the process.

Honestly; being a wiseacre is what keeps me from burning out here. People frustrate the ♥♥♥♥ out of me; incompetent, idiotic, and intractable ingrates. Quit trying to help EVERYONE (yes I used caps on purpose) becauseyou end up repeating the same thing everywhere.

Join forces with me and together we can rule part of the galaxy of .xml modding as Sith creative geniuses.

Vote h0tr0d / Valmar 2016 -- "Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty" - Thoreau

Got my vote!:biggrin-new:

Part of the problem is that there is a limit to the number of items you can have in the xml file. Going from plant fibers to cordage to stone axe does nothing but use up an item id for cordage, and add another step that doesn't add much value to the process.

While I do agree that it doesn't add much value (its subjective I know) I will point out that even my mod, with its hundreds of new items still has plenty of IDs left. The back item ID, if I recall correctly, is something around 4000. A little higher than that but basically that.

The highest ID my items use is 2591 as of writing this. I have quite a lot of legroom left to mess around.

Block IDs however only go up to 2047. This is hugely limiting. To put it in perspective the number of free slots in the blocks xml forced me to remove a ton of block ids from the A13 build. Mainly the fertilizer mod had to get canned. Even now I'm kinda just scrapping by.

While I do agree that it doesn't add much value (its subjective I know) I will point out that even my mod, with its hundreds of new items still has plenty of IDs left. The back item ID, if I recall correctly, is something around 4000. A little higher than that but basically that.

The highest ID my items use is 2591 as of writing this. I have quite a lot of legroom left to mess around.

Block IDs however only go up to 2047. This is hugely limiting. To put it in perspective the number of free slots in the blocks xml forced me to remove a ton of block ids from the A13 build. Mainly the fertilizer mod had to get canned. Even now I'm kinda just scrapping by.

man, it's impressive that there are that many block id's maybe they could learn from Minecraft. like use meta data...so all cobblestone blocks are say 1024 and the stairs, and slabs, and corners etc are just :1 12 etc. so cobblestone outercorner might be 1024:6 I'm sure that would require MORE effort and timeconsuming but surely there must be ways and means of allowing more growing room, and options.

But what ever you make it'll be awesome; take your time, Valmar, nobody wants to see you burn yourself out. how bout when this is done, we get a server going, and you can play on it with some of your devoted fans. it'd give you a greater accomplishment, maybe make friends with fellow modders, and you can team up with them in future projects!

Found an error with animal snares not working:

<block id="1994" name="animalSnare">

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="animalSnareDesc"/>

<property name="Material" value="snare" />

<property name="Shape" value="Plate" />

<property name="Texture" value="196" />

<drop event="Destroy" name="woodDebris" count="0" />

<property name="Place" value="TowardsPlacer" />

<property class="UpgradeBlock">

<property name="ToBlock" value="animalbaitedsnare" />

<property name="Item" value="wood" />

<property name="ItemCount" value="1" />

<property name="UpgradeHitCount" value="1" />

</property>

</block>

Changed to:

<block id="1994" name="animalSnare">

<property name="DescriptionKey" value="animalSnareDesc"/>

<property name="Material" value="snare" />

<property name="Shape" value="Plate" />

<property name="Texture" value="196" />

<drop event="Destroy" name="woodDebris" count="0" />

<property name="Place" value="TowardsPlacer" />

<property class="UpgradeBlock">

<property name="ToBlock" value="animalbaitedsnare" />

<property name="Item" value="animalFeed" />

<property name="ItemCount" value="1" />

<property name="UpgradeHitCount" value="1" />

</property>

</block>

Working correctly now.

Just a heads up, the Fuel Logs have no fuel value, right now unless the user goes in and adds that, they are just a misc crafting item that has no use.

Also, anyone else having problems selecting items inside storage containers? I can move around stuff in my backpack fine, but inside chests, etc, I have to fiddle with the mouse and be patient before I can highlight and select items inside them. Its all inventories aside from my player inventory. Other players on my world are not suffering this problem, this is my world, not a server, just a MP world that others have joined.

Just a heads up, the Fuel Logs have no fuel value, right now unless the user goes in and adds that, they are just a misc crafting item that has no use.

Also, anyone else having problems selecting items inside storage containers? I can move around stuff in my backpack fine, but inside chests, etc, I have to fiddle with the mouse and be patient before I can highlight and select items inside them. Its all inventories aside from my player inventory. Other players on my world are not suffering this problem, this is my world, not a server, just a MP world that others have joined.

I'm seeing the same thing. Basically a lag period before being able to interact with inventories outside of my own. Forge, chests, boxes, etc. Usually takes 3-5 seconds before you can interact with items. It also seems to be items lower than the first few rows, which dont seem to suffer from the lag most of the time.

This is on a dedicated hosted server, not local.

I'm seeing the same thing. Basically a lag period before being able to interact with inventories outside of my own. Forge, chests, boxes, etc. Usually takes 3-5 seconds before you can interact with items. It also seems to be items lower than the first few rows, which dont seem to suffer from the lag most of the time.

This is on a dedicated hosted server, not local.

More of what I've noticed is that there is a "sweet spot" on each of the inventory slots affected by this, like a corner or edge where you can select it which then opens up selection of the others, and yeah, it seems to be lower rows and further across the storage. Items near the top left corner are not affected.

Must be host related as others who join do not share the problem, I checked last night.

While annoying, this does not prevent gameplay, just makes inventory management a pain in the animated rear.

More of what I've noticed is that there is a "sweet spot" on each of the inventory slots affected by this, like a corner or edge where you can select it which then opens up selection of the others, and yeah, it seems to be lower rows and further across the storage. Items near the top left corner are not affected.

Must be host related as others who join do not share the problem, I checked last night.

While annoying, this does not prevent gameplay, just makes inventory management a pain in the animated rear.

I've had this happen on a local game too

how bout when this is done, we get a server going, and you can play on it with some of your devoted fans. it'd give you a greater accomplishment, maybe make friends with fellow modders, and you can team up with them in future projects!

Actually there already is a server I am closely affiliated with. Its even running the beta version of my mod atm. :p

Found an error with animal snares not working:

Good catch sorry for the oversite. Fixed.

Hi Valmar.

Probadly many ppl ask you about your mod update, but i want to know when more or less i can play with your mod?

The beta version is compatible with the latest version. I dont have the lite version yet. I have to make the lite version and update the guide and mod description. So it might be a while before its shared as an "official" version. But the beta works and can be used now if you dont mind playing the "full" version..

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/12c9c8haesjsm/Valmod_Beta

Good catch. Fixed.

Also updated it to last nights patch. Woohoo.

Server up and running, but i'm getting Invalid hash on several of the xml files under data\config. is there anything i can do about that? the file are as follows:

biomes.xml

blocks.xml

buffs.xml

entityclasses.xml

entitygroups.xml

items.xml

loot.xml

materials.xml

progression.xml

recipes.xml

xui.xml

thanks in advance