A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

Playing 18.3 (thumbs up for the note costs change and the perf improvement :), playing a scavenging style with just an abandoned house as center of ops that I always return to.

I think you really nailed it in every little detail, the fat zombie chance to be an exploding one with better loot, the door unlocking, the crawling ferals, the new food...

EDIT: BTW using items from the character screen ('b') never failed to work for me, finding it easier than having to move the item to the belt.

the 2 Zombies walk different if you didn't notice......one walks like "limbo larry" ans the other kind of "stomps at you" while coming for you

When I get home I may do some testing to see if you can add a damage bonus of some sort to the weapon itself or maybe a multiplier to body parts rather than a flat damage bonus?

I'm still getting back into the XML files in general, but there is still a lot of excess clutter within them and tidbits of old code that really needs to be cleaned up (on the pimps end) and clarification on certain things. Could probably spend a week straight just cleaning up the base items xml to get rid of all the clutter / redundancy...

For now though the added magazine size really does help out, We don't mind the graphical issue that much, having a better icon might be nice but what we see on screen we probably wouldn't see the magazine that often even if it had one :)

Limb damage may be a possible bonus.

I believe DamageBonus.torso is a usable property that isn't used in vanilla so perhaps there are more hidden there. Still I'm not sure if these would actually carry over into the attack or not since it is a launcher class. It might though. Just never tried myself - or if I did I don't recall the outcome. I will seriously consider giving the iron crossbow an increased mag count in the next update.

Hmmm is table lamp in blocks.xml having a value of <property name="Light" value="15" /> a bug? Seems very strong

It could be over 9000. Doesn't really matter. It doesn't do anything. Wish it did - the table lamps light (it uses the candle's light particle) is very weak.

Ok so the tiny link is for Server side only (which i will need later on)?

It is a link you provide for the players of your server so they can easily and quickly get the required client-side files required to play the mod. This includes the xui related files in the config folder and the icons in the Mods folder. Its a simple drag-and-drop process. The link is made "tiny" to make it easy for players to use since you can't copy stuff in-game. It is also "static" and should always point to the most current files so that server operators won't need to worry about keeping the link updated.

Thanks Valmar for this awesome mod, also in the name of my server community. The inventory lag seems to have gone and all appreciate this, because it was one of the major woes.

It seems consuming custom food and recipes now from inventory seems to work too...maybe hail the underscores?

Keep up the good work :)

Thank you, glad to hear the improvements have been well met.

As for the consuming of food and recipes... Interesting but I wouldn't put much faith in on it. I've seen people report this problem in the vanilla game. Though it would be wonderful indeed if this does fix it for good. Please keep me updated on it. I'd very interested to know. Fingers crossed and all that.

This may seem silly but I just downloaded the mod. Where do I install it to? Do I just move the entirety of the folder into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die ?

Not sure what to do. I tried copying the data and mods folder into the main directory - overwriting everything but got error messages when I tried to create a single player world.

@Kyoji

Right Click 7 Days To Die in your steam library and select properties

Click the Local Files Tab

Click the Browse local files button

This should have taken you to the game directory folder.

Open the Valmod zip you downloaded. Within it is a Valmod folder. Open that. Now you should see a Data and Mods folder. Drag and drop these two folders directly into the game directory folder, overwriting when prompted.

If you followed all this and it still didn't work (sounds like you did but just to be sure try again) send the output log found in the 7DaystoDie_Data folder. You can share it via pastebin.com

Also make sure you're using the latest version of the mod on a A13.6 build of the game.

@ DaVegaNL

This is a bug with the lights. Just pick them back up and place them again until they come on. It might take a few tries. After they have turned on however they should say on. Annoying I know but its the only way I could get them to work.

@Kyoji

Right Click 7 Days To Die in your steam library and select properties

Click the Local Files Tab

Click the Browse local files button

This should have taken you to the game directory folder.

Open the Valmod zip you downloaded. Within it is a Valmod folder. Open that. Now you should see a Data and Mods folder. Drag and drop these two folders directly into the game directory folder, overwriting when prompted.

If you followed all this and it still didn't work (sounds like you did but just to be sure try again) send the output log found in the 7DaystoDie_Data folder. You can share it via pastebin.com

Also make sure you're using the latest version of the mod on a A13.6 build of the game.

@ DaVegaNL

This is a bug with the lights. Just pick them back up and place them again until they come on. It might take a few tries. After they have turned on however they should say on. Annoying I know but its the only way I could get them to work.

Thank you. I tried using the lite version this time and it worked like a charm. Seems like a great mod. What incompatibility does it have with other mods? I am looking for perhaps a mod that edits the random generation a bit to add better prefabs. Will this mod effect that?

Such as:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?36836-MEGA-CITY-(2000x2500)

It shouldn't be an issue. I make no modification to the rwgmixer file which is generally used for prefabs. I assume you are planning to use the compo prefab pack? Its completely compatible - our own server runs with it also.

As for other mod compatibility.... well it depends on the mod. The lite version should be easily compatible with most mods - assuming you ensure there are no conflicting item or block IDs.

Hello Valmar,

I've tried you MOD and it's AWESOME! I have just 2 things/questions on my mind:

1.) You wrote that the inventory lag has gone or been reduced. I don't know if I'm the only one, but when I open fire, and start to craft, It's almost unable to add more wood onto fire. It's lagging like a hell. But maybe you're aware of this.

2.) I've found 2 more suitcases for my survival perk but I don't have another key. Someone wrote here that you can open it also by smashing. Done that, with an stone axe, and destroyed 1 suitcase :D now to avoid this on my 2nd, how do I open/smash it? with hands?

Thanks

Hello Valmar,

1.) You wrote that the inventory lag has gone or been reduced. I don't know if I'm the only one, but when I open fire, and start to craft, It's almost unable to add more wood onto fire. It's lagging like a hell. But maybe you're aware of this.

2.) I've found 2 more suitcases for my survival perk but I don't have another key. Someone wrote here that you can open it also by smashing. Done that, with an stone axe, and destroyed 1 suitcase :D now to avoid this on my 2nd, how do I open/smash it? with hands?

Thanks

Yes smash it with your hands

The suitcase you find (found in suspicious stumps) require the 'Survivors Combination" item to unlock.

Found one, took into my hands and tried, but didn't worked. I thought that the combination is for safes.

EDIT: Tried it now, and it worked :)

@stallionsden thanks, will try it.

You need to place the suitcase then use the combination on it (just like the suitcase / key you start with)

Do not break it as it will not do anything but break it. That only works on the initial class boxes. They (class suitcase) have a 'downgrade to' and 'upgrade to' to the unlocked variant. The Locked Survivors Suitcases you find can only be 'upgraded to' using the survivors combination on them. If you break them (downgrade to) it just poofs.

Sorry, you posted as I was replying.

Try what Wolverine mentioned and delete the old itemiconstest folder from your Mods folder - ensuring only the Valmod Icons folder is in there. Let me know if that makes a difference.

Alternatively you can delete your Mods folder and then put the Mods folder from my zip in its place.

That fixed it. Thank you very much. I'm really digging this mod.

Hello Valmar,

I fully agree with you, still lags like hell in multiplayer, maybe in singleplayer works fine...

In your 18.3 mod you have <item name="Miner Class Knowledge" count="1" /> listed twice so if you pick miner you get 2 copies of it.

Good catch - I'll fix that. Not really sure how that happened, in all honesty.

Hello Valmar,

Thanks

Sounds like others have answered your question about the suitcase for me (appreciated) but I will touch on the first thing for clarification:

I never claimed the lag was gone completely. I've said that for ME the lag is nearly non existent (SP and MP) and that the performance was better relative to what it was previously. There are factors that determine performance beyond just the xml code. For example, while I don't notice any concernable lag on my PC it is more noticeable on my wife's laptop. Nothing much I can do about that.

Fact remains though that this latest update did increase performance and lower lag significantly for mostly everyone who has tested it on multiple servers. That doesn't mean it is no lag-free - only that it is better than it was. Everything should be kept within the context of that. Its relative.

There is nothing else I can do to reduce lag at this point other than to suggest playing the Lite version if the lag is still too much for you to handle, unfortunately. Until the next game update I won't be able to do anything. Hopefully when the next update hits I will have more options. We shall see.

Valmar,

I've installed the 18.3 version. I can't pick up the tin land mines (the basic vanilla ) in front of my entrance. They were placed in version 18.1. Did you change their ability to be picked up and replaced?

Yes. I must have forgotten to mention that in the changelog - sorry.

Can i make a suggestion? Increase the yield, and timer for the oil refiner, so it takes longer to make gas n oil, buy gives out more. Seems like the refiner timer is like 10 minutes

Or how do i do that? lol

The timer I believe is relative to your in-game "day" speed. It uses the same mechanics the reinforced concrete uses. YOu know how you fill the rebar with concrete mix and wait for it to "harden"? It uses that mechanic. It also takes the same amount of time as that - which is "15". Sadly there is no way to increase this time directly. You'd have to make new stages for the Oil Refiner to go through.

Quick example of the code currently:

<block id="1814" name="Oil_Refiner">

<property class="UpgradeBlock">

<property name="ToBlock" value="OilRefinerProcessing" />

<property name="Item" value="oilShale" />

<property name="ItemCount" value="5" />

<property name="UpgradeHitCount" value="5" />

</property>

<block id="1815" name="OilRefinerProcessing">

<property name="Class" value="UpgradeRated" />

<property name="UpgradeRated.ToBlock" value="Oil Refiner (Processed)" />

<property name="UpgradeRated.Rate" value="15" />

<block id="1816" name="Oil Refiner (Processed)">

<property name="Class" value="Loot" />

As you see the Oil_Refiner can be upgraded into the "processing" block which is turn set to "upgrade" itself over-time via the upgraderated class. To increase the time it takes you would need to add another upgrade rated set.

So OilRefinerProcessing will upgrade to OilRefinerProcessing2 which will then upgrade to the processed refiner. If that makes sense. You'd need to add a new step for however long you want to make it take since the "Rate" limit is 15 (This determines the speed for which it grows)

Personally I dont recommend doing that however as the upgraderated class can be a bit buggy in-game. If you've ever laid a bunch of reinforced concrete left to harden you may notice that some will seemingly not change when they should while others do. It seems a bit unreliable to me so I wouldn't push your luck too much on this.

In the future I plan to make the oil refiner an actual workstation where you can craft the stuff directly to avoid all this.

I have a question is there an easier way to use this mod but remove the class and starter portions of it?

You can remove the recipe-class lockdown component by using the Lite version of the mod - as I explain in the top half of the main post. You will still start with a class selection but if you choose not to use it in the Lite version (Drop it instead of selecting a class) then you're basically starting out like vanilla. The Lite version does not gate things behind classes or lock down all the recipes like the full version does. If you want to basically play vanilla but with a bunch of new stuff added, play Lite. If however you dont want players to start with it, period, then you can remove it from the entityclass.xml

Find and remove:

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalSP" value="Class Key,Class Selection" />

<property name="ItemsOnEnterGame.GameModeSurvivalMP" value="Class Key,Class Selection,keystone" />

Remove the red text from the playerMale and playerFemale entities.

@Wazz

Clearly its a case-by-case bases. Works fine for me, sp and mp. There are a few severs that run the mod (fairly active and "big" severs too) and they all reported positive results from the update. Don't know what else to tell you. Some get unlucky I guess.

NP Valmar, I love being a Miner so I noticed it really quickly. That steel axe is nice

Don't let brian play with Miners TNT...he blew the top off our Fort

points finger at brian----->>>>>

I enjoy Builder and Medic...we were going to do 2 jobs on our server not sure yet

but me and brian talked about it

I fully agree with you, still lags like hell in multiplayer, maybe in singleplayer works fine...

If you want to avoid the lag and you see no improvement just click the Favorite star in the left hand corner before you close any of the Menus..and when you need to use it just open it........Whenever i use a item any ways i always select the item and hit "recipes"..it faster anyways.

As for me the Lag went away totally for me either way

Valmar,

Just installed version 18.31, I am getting kicked into the console for a "NullReferenceException" error with the cause being "Object Reference not set to an Instance of an object". This happens every time I chop down the "White Birch Bark" tree.

I was getting the error yesterday on Version 18.3, saw there was a new version today and Dl'ed it and I'm still getting the same old error message.

It's strange no one else has reported it since the Ver 18.3 update unless it's solely on my end or no one else has yet to fell a White Birch tree.

@Wolverine

Yes, but it would be kinda tricky and perhaps have to be specifically tailored to your own game. I'm not sure what the 15 represents. Real-time minutes or in-game minutes? I assume its real-time minutes. If so you would have to figure out how long you'd have to set it to make it sync up with whatever time settings you have your game set to.

You'd also have to make new blocks to put "inbetween" the stages to artificially increase the timer like I mentioned previously because the limit you can put on a single block is 15.

Now you can use the plantgrowth system to use much larger numbers but then you have issues where it wont always work if certain conditions aren't met. For example it would need to have direct sunlight to grow. The oil refiner actually used to work this way but I changed it to the upgraderated system because of how many issues it ran into with players never getting it to "grow" properly.

Also again to to reiterate another point while this is possible to do, and relatively easy in a a sense (albeit time consuming) I wouldn't recommend it because the upgraderated system is not that reliable and prone to bugging out from time to time. I believe that was why they disabled gore blocks on zombies, actually. They used the same system, more or less.

If you really want to go this route though I can write an example code you can use as a guideline to achieve what you're after.

@Ch53dVet

The moment you mentioned birch I knew what the problem was. Recently the items and blocks were renamed to remove spaces. Apparently there was some left overs in the file. Bit surprised, honestly. Makes me wonder how Pusc renamed these for this to be missed. At anyrate, thanks to you pointing it out I was able to patch it up. The new version should have the fix included. Sorry about that.

For those curious to fix is to replace all "Birch Seed" with "Birch_Seed" in the blocks.xml - something you can do in a second if you use notepad++ with its "replace all" feature.

Also, yes, the new version is now the current linked version. :) Thanks again for reporting the bug.

Archived