Zombie Dogs shouldn't climb ladders

What I wrote in the title. I was playing 7 Days 1.0 Experimental and witnessed Zombie Dogs chasing me up a ladder! The friend I was playing with at the time (who played this game before I ever did) tells me that Zombie Dogs previously weren't able to do this, which makes this occurrence pretty freaky. This happened in our early game, and zombie dogs at that stage can still be pretty lethal.

I have not tested if other wild animals can also climb ladders, but if they can, I feel like they also shouldn't have that ability.

That's been a game "feature" for a while now. Oddly enough, there are YouTube videos of real-life dogs climbing ladders, though they're not as fast at it as the zombie dogs seem to be.

5 minutes ago, zztong said:

That's been a game "feature" for a while now. Oddly enough, there are YouTube videos of real-life dogs climbing ladders, though they're not as fast at it as the zombie dogs seem to be.

They're just built different they want that booty

8 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

they want that booty

That might be more accurate that it seems at first glance; they won't path a ladder, but they might be able to climb one if their target is on it?

JaWoodle just made a test base, and his z-dogs and z-bears were completely bricked by a tall ladder, simply grouping up underneath him, while regular zeds were climbing the ladder couple blocks away just fine. I didn't see him testing what happens if he walks above the ladder while the zoo was out there... I wouldn't be surprised if the doggos would start "accidentally" climbing at that point.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, this is weird. In my nearly 1,000 hours of gameplay, I've never seen animals climb ladders. Though, to be fair, I haven't set up an environment to test that specifically to say one way or the other. Clearly other people have seen it, though.

Regarding whether they should be able to is really just down to personal preference. Yes, some dogs are know to climb ladders IRL, but in those instances the ladder is not completely vertical like in-game. They're are a slight angle so it would be easier for the dog to climb. I highly doubt most dogs could climb a ladder that is straight up 90deg to the ground.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

In entityclasses.xml under Hostile_Animal_Template it says... 

<property name="CanClimbLadders" value="false"/>

and I looked under Zombie Dog and never saw it showing that property.

So it never said false to it but also didn't specify true.

Not sure if it would have to specifically added to each animal for them not to climb.

I tested animals climbing ladders in A20 and A21, and now in A22/1.0.

In my A20/21 testing there were two groups of animals.

These animals could climb ladders easily.
Boar, Coyote, Dire Wolf, Snake, Zombie Dog

These animals struggled or won't.
Bear, Mountain Lion, Wolf, Zombie Bear

For 1.0 I did not test all those, skipped boars, coyotes and snakes. The one notable change seemed to be mountain lions can climb easier now.

My test wasn't really mimicking a real base though, it was a tower with the outside surfaces covered by ladders so animals had no choice but to interact with ladders. It shows whether they can climb or not though.

11 hours ago, Rotor said:

Similar but different

Hah, the doggo climbs just like me; couple first steps "this is sketch, gotta go careful" .. "wait, acthually, this is fine" and starts stepping up "normally". :)

So yesterday I saw this youtube video by JaWoodle. In his test, zombie bears and zombie dogs could not climb ladders. Now, that's not to discount what others here have said, because clearly, others have witnessed it. I wonder if it depends on how the entity gets off the ladder? In the video, JaWoodle sets up a system where the entity must essentially jump from the ladder to a block behind them. Which zombies will attempt without issue (though due to the nature of the block and it's placement, it is impossible for the zombies to stand on it). I wonder if the AI for zombie animals is different in such a way to make that path completely unviable.

I always thought that setting just meant their AI wouldn't path to them, but if you lead them to the ladder they can still walk into it which will be like going up them.

1 hour ago, Syphon583 said:

So yesterday I saw this youtube video by JaWoodle. In his test, zombie bears and zombie dogs could not climb ladders. Now, that's not to discount what others here have said, because clearly, others have witnessed it. I wonder if it depends on how the entity gets off the ladder? In the video, JaWoodle sets up a system where the entity must essentially jump from the ladder to a block behind them. Which zombies will attempt without issue (though due to the nature of the block and it's placement, it is impossible for the zombies to stand on it). I wonder if the AI for zombie animals is different in such a way to make that path completely unviable.

What about cop zombies??? 

21 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

What about cop zombies??? 

Is your question relating to the topic of whether they can make the climb in the video? Or rather what to do to protect against cops using the base he built? To the former, cops will have no issue making the climb. You can see as much late in the video. As to whether this is a good base design in general to protect against cops? Well, clearly he gets sprayed several times. However the point of the video wasn't the base itself, but rather test the ladder/jump mechanic JaWoodle discovered in-game. I don't think he'd recommend going with a floating, exposed cage as an actual base.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

Is your question relating to the topic of whether they can make the climb in the video? Or rather what to do to protect against cops using the base he built? To the former, cops will have no issue making the climb. You can see as much late in the video. As to whether this is a good base design in general to protect against cops? Well, clearly he gets sprayed several times. However the point of the video wasn't the base itself, but rather test the ladder/jump mechanic JaWoodle discovered in-game. I don't think he'd recommend going with a floating, exposed cage as an actual base.

I mean the spitting attack. Hell the normally cop is more scary then the feral. They couldn't hit the side of a mountain