Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

2 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Yup, I noticed there was a lot of other mentions of the dire wolf in the notes so first thing I checked is if the new model was in

Hide contents

image.png?ex=6685b966&is=668467e6&hm=d5f0641b25039c8b964c2fa99f138fa821645bbc625a5a98f4f536111715598e&=

I literally just came here to post the same thing.  I had no idea and actually jumped as it shoved its head through the door.   WELL DONE

2 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Yup, I noticed there was a lot of other mentions of the dire wolf in the notes so first thing I checked is if the new model was in

Reveal hidden contents

image.png?ex=6685b966&is=668467e6&hm=d5f0641b25039c8b964c2fa99f138fa821645bbc625a5a98f4f536111715598e&=

At what point did the zombie game start to turn into a fantasy with mythical creatures?
What's next? A branch of magic? Crafting potions?

He's a tough wolf. But this is not a zombie wolf, this is a wolf from a fantasy game about magic and dragons.
I don't share your enthusiasm. This greatly spoils the atmosphere of the ZOMBIE apocalypse.

28 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

At what point did the zombie game start to turn into a fantasy with mythical creatures?

He's a tough wolf. But this is not a zombie wolf, this is a wolf from a fantasy game about magic and dragons.
I don't share your enthusiasm. This greatly spoils the atmosphere of the ZOMBIE apocalypse.

I think it's just a name. Nothing crazy 

But if you think about it! Candy and alcohol or potions alcohol especially can be a potion even in real life results May Vary

Also I'm hoping soon we will see the other armors to come soon like during 1.0 full

The horder, desert and murader. Any hopefully a few new secret ones... cough cough... overlord 

QdOOthKEmX0-1~2.jpg

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

So the Biker outfit piece gives you a max health bonus, up to 20% for quality level 6. Upon switching it out for another body piece, you lose the effect, obviously. However, when you switch back, you'll need to heal to get yourself up to the boosted max HP, which could be problematic when it comes to birds. Is there any way this could be adjusted? Would it be possible for the game to instantly or near instantly heal you for the (max 20) HP?

57 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

Dire Wolves did exist before they became extinct years ago. Perhaps the dire wolf in the game could be explained away as the result of splicing the DNA of a gray wolf and DNA from hemoglobin found within the skeleton of a dire wolf.

1 minute ago, Arma Rex said:

Dire Wolves did exist before they became extinct years ago. Perhaps the dire wolf in the game could be explained away as the result of splicing the DNA of a gray wolf and DNA from hemoglobin found within the skeleton of a dire wolf.

I just think that they're just really big wolves in the game now they're just zombie wolves that are big and hungry and want to eat your bones

1 hour ago, mstdv inc said:

You're worried about a big wolf ruining your fantasy immersion in a ZOMBIE survival game? 😛

And if you have a problem with them being zombified... zombie dogs, vultures, and bears would like to talk to you. 😛

On 6/25/2024 at 7:08 AM, Chaton Noir said:

Hello, @faatal. I noticed that DLSS SR is in the game files even though you disabled it. I know it works badly, but is there any way to activate it? Maybe some kind of startup parameter in the launcher/Steam? Or a change to the XML?

There is no way to activate it. The image generated often freaks out and is a mess, so it is NOT usable.

On 6/26/2024 at 9:30 AM, Watermelon said:

@faatal Hello! 🤗 We have all kinds of threats on the ground and in the air in every biome, ranging from different zombies to all kinds of animals. How about considering the idea of introducing aquatic enemies into the game in the future?

I have considered that, but have had no time for it. I actually have more bug tickets now, than before experimental and they keep coming in. There is always more ideas than time, so not everything can be done.

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

I have considered that, but have had no time for it. I actually have more bug tickets now, than before experimental and they keep coming in. There is always more ideas than time, so not everything can be done.

Speaking of which, are there plans to increase the amount of water on the map (vast winding rivers cutting across the wilderness leading to lakes, for example)? Most are located on the very border of the map nowadays, and the rivers are pretty illogical in nature. They don't flow from or to anywhere. :) (Not asking for flowing water btw.)

On 6/26/2024 at 12:29 PM, Old Crow said:

A few things @faatal:

Magnum Enforcer Volume 2: Does this work with the Enforcer outfit now, or was it overlooked and doesn't work at all? How would we no? Character sheet gives no indication of the bonus being added, and never did previously.

Vehicle Armor Mod: Doesn't work with the bicycle, despite being shown on the model in the teaser pictures.

Expanded Vehicle Storage: Doesn't exist, despite being shown on the models for the bicycle, minibike, motorcycle and 4x4 in the teaser pictures.

Will the book be changed later, and will the mods be added later on?

1. I don't know. Books is Allan.

2. Correct. I did not add it as the model was done in 2 separate pieces, which code does not support and I think bicycles with armor is weird.

3. Punted to the future as no time for coding that.

On 6/26/2024 at 1:51 PM, Doomofman said:

I think it's because if you hold the jump button now your character just jumps over and over again which doesn't seem like a behaviour many (if any) players would find useful

Technically a bug from changes to the new player models/anims. There were actually many jumping bugs and it finally got to the state it is in now. It may be changed at some point, but I just adjusted to pressing the space bar and quickly letting go.

On 6/27/2024 at 5:38 AM, HeLLKnight said:

Did my own quick performance/optimization testing in 1.0 b309:

4k resolution, I7 13700k, RTX3080. 1.0exp changed itself to ULTRA preset in the first run, fps disaster! I think much people are arguing because this automatic change.

So I change to HIGH preset, gives me 55-58 fps in areas with no zombies. Not good enough. I improve the preset by changing:

- Antialiasing from Temporal to FSR medium: from 55-58 to 76-78... awesome! but FSR Ultra is performing less than Temporal aliasing. FSR Ultra shouldn't be 2954x1662 pixels? or is native + FSR AA so we are looking at the cost of FSR itself?
- Sharpness slider doesn't work with FSR, only with temporal AA. Sharpness is a MUST in FSR, as is VERY blurry by default. Had to use Reshade to add it. Now its awesome!
- Texture filtering from medium to ultra, <1 fps cost worth it 
- Shadows distance from high to ultra, <1 fps cost worth it
- Shadows quality from high to medium, 76-78 to 85 fps but not very noticeable loss in quality, so very worth it IMO. The new worst offender in fps?
- SSAO: New 1.0 can eat 10-11 fps in interiors, but looks awesome, absolutely worth it to keep ON. OFF is very ugly. Could be possible to add extra "medium" quality SSAO?
- SS Reflections eat much less FPS than in alpha 21, around 5 fps from medium to low, so I keep it on medium

Now playing with at around 85 fps and very happy. 

Now lets try CPU performance: added 100 zombies in debug mode, down to 45-50 fps. 

Added this to /7DaystoDie_Data/boot.config:
gfx-enable-gfx-jobs=1
gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs=1

And now 100 zombies only downs to 60-65fps. Not stable enough to enable the oldest Unity performance trick by default?

I also recommend this mod updated for 1.0exp because shadow improvements:
https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/3495?tab=files

EDIT: for some reason, looking closely to a light source in 1.0 like a wall light or a working forge can eat up to 15 fps. Want to try out again when the mod "Torch" in nexusmods gets updated for 1.0.

FSR Ultra is native. I use that, but drop screen res from 4k to 1440 as it looks better and get higher FPS than 4k with FSR high.

Sharpness does work with FSR, but 100% for FSR just does not do that much sharpening and that is as high as it allows.

Shadow quality high is using contact shadows, which is not cheap, but fixes light leaks on players and through blocks.

SSAO is now using 3rd party code and I don't know if it can run faster, but still look fine.

Gfx jobs crashed on some people's computers the last time we enabled it, so we are not yet supporting it.

On 6/28/2024 at 11:08 PM, mouldy said:

@faatal Hopefully this isn't coming off too critical. I just think a lot of the armor pieces need a rebalance or a change in perk.

There's a lot of wasted potential on the benefits for the armor pieces. The dev team could review the perks in the skill trees and perk books and try to see if they can be used on the armor pieces instead to make them stackable.

I don't work on stats/perks on armor or items. That is mostly Allan. Balance is ongoing as we continue testing.

On 6/29/2024 at 1:19 AM, Riamus said:

I used the Circle option with many town, many rivers, many lakes, IIRC.  Here's the biome layout that was generated.  As you can see, the route to burnt isn't great and requires going through one or the other of the 2 highest difficulty biomes.  As a side note, the next route to Bob was 3.4km from Jen.  So 4km then 3.4km.  Not ideal at all.

image.thumb.png.c7ee6b94f94667576be5c49d3722ec45.png

The order is currently by sorting the biome percents, so if you change the default percents to not be forest low to wasteland high, you will get a different order. The sorting may be removed in the future.

35 minutes ago, faatal said:

FSR Ultra is native. I use that, but drop screen res from 4k to 1440 as it looks better and get higher FPS than 4k with FSR high.

Sharpness does work with FSR, but 100% for FSR just does not do that much sharpening and that is as high as it allows.

Shadow quality high is using contact shadows, which is not cheap, but fixes light leaks on players and through blocks.

SSAO is now using 3rd party code and I don't know if it can run faster, but still look fine.

Gfx jobs crashed on some people's computers the last time we enabled it, so we are not yet supporting it.

Speaking of these settings, I'm using FSR Ultra and it looks great.  One thing I've noticed and haven't tested to see if it's related to that or a different setting is at night with a helmet light on, when I'm running or driving down the street and the light flashes along a building in front of me, the lighting on the building will be patchy, with the patches flickering and changing as I continue moving towards it.  If the light is off, everything always looks perfect.  I'd assume this probably applies to other light sources - flashlight, vehicle headlight, torch - but I haven't looked into it.  I'm pretty much just ignoring it because it's not a big deal on doesn't happen too often because the building needs to be directly in front of me and not at an angle for this to happen (so far) and if it bugs me, I can turn off my helmet light until I'm past the area.  I'd think it was some kind of antialiasing thing but it only happens with the light, which seems more like a problem with the light code maybe.

18 minutes ago, faatal said:

The order is currently by sorting the biome percents, so if you change the default percents to not be forest low to wasteland high, you will get a different order. The sorting may be removed in the future.

Ahh.  Yeah, I did adjust the percentages.  Wasteland is fine for visiting, but I have no interest in having it be the biggest biome.  It's just too annoying to drive through if you don't use roads and the wind sound (at least in A21) was so loud and really horrible to hear over and over that I just avoid it except for short trips there.

On 6/29/2024 at 2:17 PM, Doomofman said:

What was the thinking behind the small bear?

I assume they'll both have the same skin and it's not a black bear/brown bear scenario as in the art shown the skin is somewhere between the two

Fun.

1 Years ago...make small bear because I can, but ragdoll broken by scaling, so commented out.

2 I fixed ragdoll scaling for 1.0.

3 Allan says "why do we have small bear?". I say "because why not". Allan enables because it now works.

4 You see in game.

22 minutes ago, faatal said:

I don't work on stats/perks on armor or items. That is mostly Allan. Balance is ongoing as we continue testing.

Unsure what you mean here. Were you implying that the biome size sliders will be removed in the future? :noidea:

2 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Unsure what you mean here. Were you implying that the biome size sliders will be removed in the future? :noidea:

I think he means that the sorting may be removed.  The order of biomes around the "circle" is based on percentages used for the biomes, which may be removed.

On 6/30/2024 at 5:17 PM, MechanicalLens said:

It seems that country towns aren't 100% perfect yet. 😛 There's more than a few places where entire sections of the town are simply cut off from the main body. Good luck getting around everywhere by a vehicle pre-apocalypse times.

Fixing all the bugs in RWG is not simple.

On 7/1/2024 at 4:14 AM, Annihilatorza said:

Okay cool, problem I have its the 3 city's are right next to each and filled the whole biome.

Is there a way to change the rwg to have a a city that spans over two different biomes, I know how to make them bigger.

Wasteland is the city biome. It is the nasty end game place where lots of people used to live (for now, unless it gets changed).

RWG mostly does not generate content across biomes. Biomes are each their own place.