Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

4 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Wait, potty pistols got removed in 1.0?

I don't think/know toilet pistols are completely gone. I think I still have found them over the years but they have been greatly nerfed. Not like a few alphas ago where every game was based on the sopranos and every bathroom had a pistol in case tony showed up. :)

Oh, and spoiler...

8 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Someone proposed a chance at a cooking pot mine chance but that is troll move that would likely frustrate most players.

Edit:  Would be an easy mod to add if someone wanted the extra challenge.

Yes, it's probably not desired in a Tier 1 POI. I could see having two different helpers. One that was something like 50% Air and 50% Pot and another that was like 50% Air, 40% Pot, 10% Bomb to use in upper tier POIs. I want to think the Custom Block Pack did something like that, but I've not looked at the BCP in a while.

8 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Despite my previous comment, I do understand why land mines have largely been removed from the game. Instantly dying isn't a fun struggle for many players - it would be no different than a dog horde on day 1.

At least in 1.0 we will be able to use a wrench to disable mines. One of the best new features!

1 hour ago, FranticDan said:

I know that due to the clothing slots reducing to 4 means that a lot of the clothing bonuses are becoming armour mods, I was wondering if those will include the Collage Jacket (movement speed) and High Performance shoes (stamina regen) will become mods as well?

The enforcer boots are the new collage jackets.... for some reason.  The enforcer set like the gloves less fuel use??? Makes no sense. Maybe more damage with magnums or sum

On 6/12/2024 at 6:50 AM, MechanicalLens said:

spacer.png

Have the variable stats between item quality levels been adjusted for 1.0? Currently, a purple item (example shown above) is always marginally better than a blue version, but the difference is entirely negligible, and I wouldn't imagine anyone caring about being able to craft a purple item if the increase in stats is only 2-5%. :)

Firearms only get a 5% increase per quality, melee is 10%

Secondly, I'm more focused on shotgun slugs getting unnerfed so they are worth using again in the mid to late game. Currently, they are only good in the early game.
Slugs got nerfed, HAAAARD, in A21. To the extent that SHELLS DO MORE DAMAGE to a soldier than slugs do

Edited by FranticDan (see edit history)

Be the mailman. 

One thing that I learned that will help you are skill books. Many can be found in mailboxes and there are plenty of those in residential areas. 

So I will do a quick run though and visit each box to collect them all. I do pretty well in just a few days. 

I guess the answer is yes because 1.0 will probably just fix bugs from experimental but :

A game started on experimental June 24th will be compatible with July's 1.0 ?

Also, some people are really worried about the longer early game. I'm part of people that love the idea, and I guess a lot of people here do too.

When you kind of master the game and are untouchable after 15/20 days, this is very good news.

But I understand that more casual gamers have not much time to play and don't want to grind for 60 hours before getting to mid / more comfortable gameplay.

Loot 200% doesn't increase loot quality, difficulty only affect damages to/from zombies, XP 50% makes the progression slower, 200% harder.

Do you guys know if there may be a casual switch or something ? Like Loot stage x1.5, maybe.

We may lose a lot of players with this 1.0.

8 hours ago, Roland said:

At least in 1.0 we will be able to use a wrench to disable mines. One of the best new features!

Well I heard that you can disarm the land minds by jumping up and down on them. 😁

You should go first Roland. 😊

You will have a real blast! 😂

8 minutes ago, Ouabi Gaming said:

I guess the answer is yes because 1.0 will probably just fix bugs from experimental but :

A game started on experimental June 24th will be compatible with July's 1.0 ?

Also, some people are really worried about the longer early game. I'm part of people that love the idea, and I guess a lot of people here do too.

When you kind of master the game and are untouchable after 15/20 days, this is very good news.

But I understand that more casual gamers have not much time to play and don't want to grind for 60 hours before getting to mid / more comfortable gameplay.

Loot 200% doesn't increase loot quality, difficulty only affect damages to/from zombies, XP 50% makes the progression slower, 200% harder.

Do you guys know if there may be a casual switch or something ? Like Loot stage x1.5, maybe.

We may lose a lot of players with this 1.0.

Yeah, I don't really enjoy the early game anymore.  I've done it way too many times.  I'll do one playthrough as designed but, unless by and miracle I end up liking the slow progression, I'll either mod it or just give myself a bunch of stuff from creative at the start of the game to speed things back up.  I like being able to actually build stuff, not running around for an hour because you didn't have a bike.

38 minutes ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

So, with the advent of 1.0. Will there be a change to the Forum format?

Why would there be?  1.0 is just alpha 22 renamed for Microsoft and Sony console requirements.  It is still in development.

3 hours ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, I don't really enjoy the early game anymore.  I've done it way too many times.  I'll do one playthrough as designed but, unless by and miracle I end up liking the slow progression, I'll either mod it or just give myself a bunch of stuff from creative at the start of the game to speed things back up.  I like being able to actually build stuff, not running around for an hour because you didn't have a bike.

One thing which I've recently understood is that it's harder for me to choose to make the game more difficult on an OVERALL basis, because of how brutal the early game can be. I too plan to play my first game of 1.0 by starting out "properly" with vanilla, but if it ends up feeling mostly like the same old jazz, I'll probably be looking for a mod which gives you a pack of starting goods (and possibly skipping the replacement for the current early quests), because a lot of it is so much busywork and I'd much rather improve a given playthrough's longevity by increasing overall difficulty. This was especially clear to me after I found a toilet knife early on in one playthrough and even just that made an enormous difference to how my first week felt.

Maybe the quest changes will improve the quest + early points part of experience; I don't know, but I'm sure we'll all find out soon enough. But no starting gear is increasingly feeling like you're being gimped as a poor shortcut to making the early game more challenging in dumb ways rather than smart ones.

6 hours ago, DocRussel said:

Pistol whip a zombie? Or use the rifle butt? That would be cool.

@faatal I agree, all you need to do is add animation.
It would be great to push zombies away, for example, with your hands, feet or weapon strikes.
This would add variety to close combat. You just need to balance this so that the damage from such a pushback is literally 1 hp and the zombies do not fall to the ground, but only play the animation of being thrown back 1 meter.

9 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Idk about that cuz shells were op 

shells ARE op, not WERE.
Q6 Auto shotgun stats
shells = 250 dmg (90 to a soldier on insane)
slugs = 140 dmg (52 to a soldier on insane)