There should be a way to disable the difficulty pop-ups

MrQ

While the new alpha 21 experimental offers some excellent features, I dislike the difficulty/skull icons that appear when entering a POI. 

I believe there should be an option to enable/disable this feature as it comes off as un-immersive in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Old Crow said:

They don't want us turning it off, how else can they help new players and treat existing ones like we're stupid?

Naw TFP will tell you "there's a mod for that so were too lazy to put a option to toggle that on/off in the UI Section of the options menu" That seems to be their general reply to stuff like this. There is honestly alot of options that SHOULD be in the game/pause options menus that just aren't.

There is also the fact that they want feedback on things that they have in Alpha 21.  Allowing people just to automatically remove everything at the very beginning doesn't help them very much.

faatal has mentioned before that they will be introducing option settings to fine tune the player playthrough once it gets closer to final release, those things though are not on their priority list at this time.  They haven't specified what those options will be yet, but they want to give players some customization without having to mod (as long as it doesn't make the game UI too clunky)

6 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

There is also the fact that they want feedback on things that they have in Alpha 21.  Allowing people just to automatically remove everything at the very beginning doesn't help them very much.

faatal has mentioned before that they will be introducing option settings to fine tune the player playthrough once it gets closer to final release, those things though are not on their priority list at this time.  They haven't specified what those options will be yet, but they want to give players some customization without having to mod (as long as it doesn't make the game UI too clunky)

I think this feature could technically be considered "useful" for new players but it also defeats the survival aspect. I think more intuition should be used when it comes to a POI's difficulty, for example if I came across a prison POI I would personally assume it would be more difficult then a typical suburban house. The surprise aspect is also something important to consider.

1 hour ago, MrQ said:

I think this feature could technically be considered "useful" for new players but it also defeats the survival aspect. I think more intuition should be used when it comes to a POI's difficulty, for example if I came across a prison POI I would personally assume it would be more difficult then a typical suburban house. The surprise aspect is also something important to consider.

Wait, this game still has survival aspects? I guess it has a faint, barely visible shadow of survival still.

We must kill it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 2:33 AM, MrQ said:

While the new alpha 21 experimental offers some excellent features, I dislike the difficulty/skull icons that appear when entering a POI. 

I believe there should be an option to enable/disable this feature as it comes off as un-immersive in my opinion.

+++++
Arcade game :(

Yes please,  Totally agree with OP.

Less info = tougher to survive. 

The biome "meter" on the gui is like the hideous mob red HP bar TFP tested a few alphas back. 

Option for this info = cool. Forced display...ehh?

TFP :

spacer.png

Also the exclamation mark for quests shouldn't be active on the screen. On the compass fine, but not a quest 4km away. Sometimes it's in a way when I'm cleaning out an poi. It's always in the front of everything... bad. Really bad 

No one makes a thread that says I love this new thing I see a lot of people complaining about. Quite a few people like it. Quite a few don't. As a veteran, I don't need it. As a new player, I'd appreciate it. 

Impossible to please everyone all the time...

And there is already a mod for it, so WHY would they waste dev time on feature modification until all features are in. This isn't a priority.

Cant agree more.  This particular addition treats the player like a child and holds their hand cheapening the overall experience.

Though I do not think it should exist at all.  New payers are not dumb and information like this should be communicated though the game itself, not a banner.  The outside of the POI, its size and its general design should effectively communicate the difficulty within, not a lazy banner.

Though, like BFT was saying, this might just be an effect of playing alpha rather than a permanent feature of the final product.  This particular design decision is very lazy and TFP does not strike me as taking the lazy rout that often.  It might go away when the POI's are designed to communicate this effectively.

On 6/28/2023 at 1:19 PM, BFT2020 said:

I share this perspective. With the new changes is quite useful to have this information displayed for newcomers and people who are exploring, testing these POIs.  Being able to disable them in the feature seems like the logical path.

Regarding the POIs and their difficult:

• Most of them you are able to tell if it is difficult or not by the context. Like:
    • Size,
    • Materials that windows and doors are made, 
    • If it is untouched or already ransacked,
  • But some of them are... unpredictable.
    • Like houses and stores with hidden vaults
    • Stores that are clustered together as a POI.

I think it is possible to use more worldbuilding elements to give hints of the difficult of risk of certain POIs. Graffities with symbols and written warnings are a immersive way to provide that. Players could circle around a POI in search of these "warnings" in some of the POIs. 

19 hours ago, aleos said:

Also the exclamation mark for quests shouldn't be active on the screen. On the compass fine, but not a quest 4km away. Sometimes it's in a way when I'm cleaning out an poi. It's always in the front of everything... bad. Really bad 

You can always turn the quest tracker off until you are ready to do the quest.

3 minutes ago, LeonBraun said:

And each time poke "disable tracking"? Rave. And again, you have to use mods.

You don't have to use mods.  Go to your quest list, click the quest, then click the button above that selects your active quest.  It will disable the tracker for the quest.

I'm just offering you a solution as it's unlikely to change either at all or at least not until near gold when they add in any options they plan to add for UI.  It may not be ideal but it's better than nothing.

Just now, Riamus said:

You don't have to use mods.  Go to your quest list, click the quest, then click the button above that selects your active quest.  It will disable the tracker for the quest.

I'm just offering you a solution as it's unlikely to change either at all or at least not until near gold when they add in any options they plan to add for UI.  It may not be ideal but it's better than nothing.

I'm aware of such a feature, thanks friend) Until TFP adds a tweak to the HUD I'll use my mod that removes the quest tracker, zombies on the compass and skulls/location name. It was not difficult to implement, but TFP has other priorities, or they are completely unaware of such a request from the players.