Treasure Maps in A21

fragtzack

I just did a GS62 Bloodmoon and got 2 dropped which, considering I've only ever gotten one other one from a T3 POI, seems a tad low.  The rewards were a bit disappointing, as well....  I have one point into Treasure Hunter put in just before the Bloodmoon so not sure about that drop rate thing. Suspicious, though.

If you are using a shovel, it's a waste of time.  Once you have an auger, it's easy.  There are benefits - buried treasure can be relooted if you have loot respawn (not sure if the chest disappears in A21 as I haven't done any in A21 yet) so I'll stop by a hole that was dug when I'm driving around the map and reloot it if it has loot again.  I know some people don't like loot respawns and in those cases, it isn't really worth doing.  The benefit of treasure maps is that the loot is mostly all ammo and ammo crafting components, which can be a guaranteed way to quickly gather these (once you have an auger).

Note that points for treasure hunting can be somewhat dangerous once you have an auger and are doing buried treasure quests.  If you want a challenge, max out the perk and then dig 15+ blocks in a row without stopping (if you don't get attacked before then) and you'll have a very large horde surrounding you in no time.  At max perk, every 3 blocks will spawn (or have a high chance to spawn) a group of zombies so you can quickly be swarmed if you dig quickly.  Have a few people with augers all maxed out start digging and you'll likely have a more challenging situation than you do on horde night, though they don't keep coming after you stop digging so it is short-lived.  And at higher game stage, you'll end up with a bunch of higher tier zombies all at once.  It can be fun.  :)

4 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I thought buried quests are the one that spawn zombies, not buried treasures

Yes, the quests are the ones that spawn zombies.  Are those called Buried Treasure?  Or is it Buried Supplies?  I forget.  In any case, yes those are the ones I'm talking about, not the treasure maps.  I don't really count the treasure maps as quests even if they are placed in the quest list.  But that's just me.  ;)

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

Yeah, it seems like there's some confusion here. Buried Supplies are quests obtained from the trader. They are quite easy to do actually, especially if it's tier 1 (less chance of zombies spawning). While the reward isn't really worth it, you can bang several of them out in a single day. The benefit is getting through many of them to pass off a quest tier quickly.

Buried Treasures are the maps you find in loot. IMO they are VERY worth the effort since you get a decent pile of dukes in the chest. The nice thing about buried treasures is that if you wait to open them when you are in a higher-tier biome, the loot is even better (assuming it spawns in a biome with a higher loot stage).

On 6/23/2023 at 1:10 PM, fragtzack said:

Treasure Maps in A21 seems to drop considerably less often than other alphas.

Does the Perception Perk "Treasure Hunter" increase the drop rate?

(Note, the Treasure Hunter tool tip does not mention increased map drop rate)

As far as I'm aware, putting points into Treasure Hunter does not increase the drop rate of the maps. I've also not noticed any decrease in the drop rate overall from previous alphas, but I haven't dug into the code to find out. In my current playthrough I went through the first 8 days or so without a single map found, but then found 3 over the course of the next several days. I believe they have a higher chance to spawn in zombie loot bags and POI final loot chests.

EDIT: I also wouldn't waste putting points into Treasure Hunter. Given the generally low drop rate of maps, the benefits are used all that much (unless you do a lot of buried supplies quests). Even then, points are often better spent elsewhere like salvage ops.

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Gideon said:

People still do treasure maps, buried treasure, and treasure hunter?

Why?

It seems like a terrible waste of time and skill points. Oh well, if it makes people happy.

treasure maps are usually always worth doing, and you don't need any skills to do the, the skills just make it faster. As for buried supply quests, No one touches those anymore really due to the fact almost everytime the ring shrinks it spawns a pack of 5 zombies, it just became a total pain in the butt to do them. I mean the time it took to dig and find it was bad enough and they were also only low tier trader quests.

15 hours ago, Riamus said:

Yes, the quests are the ones that spawn zombies.  Are those called Buried Treasure?  Or is it Buried Supplies?  I forget.  In any case, yes those are the ones I'm talking about, not the treasure maps.  I don't really count the treasure maps as quests even if they are placed in the quest list.  But that's just me.  ;)

Buried supplies are the ones that spawn zombies almost everytime the ring shrinks, and one set of spawns when the chest is open is guarnteed.

I hate the auger sound.

Q6 steel shovel one shots the dirt, so I use that.

Doesn't take that long to do the quests.

Rewards are ... iffy though.

Still worth doing though.

I don't bother with the tresure hunter.  Sorry TFP but it just isn't worth the points.

(have it increase the odds of finding maps, or much better rewards, particularly for MP.)

(starting to see solar panels now, and they are still hideously expensive so gonna need the dukes)