A year and a half for this instead of Bandits and story?

Just finished day 14 horde and couldn't help but think that we waited a year and a half for this?

A terrible over haul to the tech tree because the pimps can't admit that learn by doing with the attributes system is great and instead with a wish version of it. A update to graphics and us being able to pew pew through doors that have been busted open a bit and oh that change to water for some dumb reason.

They couldn't have worked on bandits and adding in the story for the Duke instead of this? Stuff that would have actually brought excitement and much needed changes to the game. Instead we get a nicer looking game, yet another over haul to the way we progress skills and some ridiculous changes to how we get water. 

Can't wait for the modders to get their hands on this because so far they are keeping this game going and entertaining. 

Edited by SylenThunder
Corrected your expanded time. Lying to make a point just makes you lose. (see edit history)

Think of it this way.  You want to fly to a special place in the world for your vacation.  You must first walk to the car.  You must then drive to the airport.  Then you must fly from one airport to another.  Then you must drive to your hotel or whatever your new base will be for the duration of your vacation.  And only then do you get the opportunity to enjoy what you set out to do.

All of these steps (or some variation of them, depending on your vacation goals) are critical to getting to that final destination and experience.  There may be traffic jams or planes getting rerouted or storms at a layover location... lots of things can and most likely will get in the way to one degree or another.  It's all part of the journey and you won't know whether it was worth the effort until it's all over and you are back at your home with your memories.

This game is in alpha and you get to play through all of the traffic jams, accidents, layovers, passport/customs issues, hotel booking problems, etc.  At the end of it all, and we're not there yet, you will have to decide if the journey was worth it for you.

Edited by Maharin (see edit history)

• SylenThunder changed the title to A year and a half for this instead of Bandits and story?
3 hours ago, SenLim said:

I like this game, but this game has been in alpha since 2013...

So, I love that is has been in Alpha this long. Look at all the new and cool things we have been able to do along the way. If they just released it to us as gold,we would have missed out.

7 hours ago, rateds2k said:

So, I love that is has been in Alpha this long. Look at all the new and cool things we have been able to do along the way. If they just released it to us as gold,we would have missed out.

You sure about that? Every "major" update breaks most if not all the mods out there (a lot of which don't get updated). As the game ages, less and less mods are likely to get re-made or updated. At some point, someone might have to create a "Feed the Beast / Curseforge" software that allows players to play modpacks designed for older versions of 7D2D like they did with Minecraft.

The devs here "in my opinion" have slowed down way too much with the updates and is now at the point where it's just becoming a bit annoying, especially when they can't seem to ever make up their minds about any of it.

46 minutes ago, Fox said:

You sure about that? Every "major" update breaks most if not all the mods out there (a lot of which don't get updated). As the game ages, less and less mods are likely to get re-made or updated. At some point, someone might have to create a "Feed the Beast / Curseforge" software that allows players to play modpacks designed for older versions of 7D2D like they did with Minecraft.

The devs here "in my opinion" have slowed down way too much with the updates and is now at the point where it's just becoming a bit annoying, especially when they can't seem to ever make up their minds about any of it.

Do you remember how great the first release felt from Kickstarter? Back when it was pre-steam and you had to enter a license key in-game.  I dream of that release.  I love the new Alphas, but something but the very early ones felt so great and you're right.  I'm a little fed up of having to start a new world every. single. time. a new update releases.

I worry more that 7D2D is going to wind up looking as pretty as other 'newly released' games but will still wind up being passed by because Other games within the genre are implementing changes and additions faster.  There is a charm to being with 7DaysToDie through this journey as I first played it in 2016 and I love it,  but other survival crafting games are up and coming, and at least one seems intent on "doing everything that 7 Days to Die has been promising  but doing it faster". 

I won't mention that other games title out of respect to TFP but the game I am thinking of debuted in January this year and seemed intent on making it an issue that they release their own.."Bandits"  update about a week before the Alpha21 drop.  So I am sure that TFP must be aware that there are others trying to be a contender for the best Zombie/Survival Crafting game.  Newer gamers are going to come into the game and hopefully enjoy the current mechanics,  but as for right now, it seems to be discouraging to the group that I regularly play with.

2 hours ago, boban said:

...as exciting as going from mailbox to mailbox playing a roulette to finally get the magazines you are looking for...

I'm looting trash cans, trash piles, dumpster's, cabinets and getting all kinds of good stuff. Stuff I never would have looted before, so yea it is more exciting.

Just throwing my hat in here...
7d2ds update cycle is kinda... weird.
They don't add new stuff (except for overhauls and cosmetics)... but they do it in such a long timeframe that I already forgot the last alpha, so I start playing a bit again... until I notice (usually at day 30 or something) that it is just the same game again...
And if someone SERIOUSLY still claims "this game is in alpha" they need to get their brains checked.
That is like saying "oh Star Citizen will come out! It is just a big game! Give them time!"
No! I don't care how big the game is. If you have millions and millions, you better present us with something.

What new (not overhauled) mechanics were introduced since A13 I think (Traders and electricity)?
Quests... but that is about it. And it is just a simple "go to x, kill, loot come back" quest...
Where are the NPCs? The animals? The real agriculture? Caves (are they back? Haven'T seen any but also never play Navazgane), better Zombies?

The game needs real quests, NPCs and bandits. And if they want to be fancy, they give us factions too.
But the game has been basicially the same for 7 alphas, just with more pois and a tripple revised skillsystem and a double graphicsoverhaul.
Oh wait no... zombie pathing has been... "fixed". To be fair, they got better over the alphas... but seriously...

The way I see it you need to go "Gold" into a beta where you take all your features that are then hopefully locked in and just do another 5 years of balancing... :'D

With a bit less spite:
12 years of Alpha is not an Alpha anymore. It is a yearly update. Its free so I dont mind. But calling it an alpha is just mindblowingly... oh well.

17 minutes ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Quests... but that is about it. And it is just a simple "go to x, kill, loot come back" quest...

Sure about it? I started with A16, but even there the quest (that you had obtained via quest paper like a treasure map) were a thing (simpler, like go to X position and kill some zombies... but actually in terms of core mechanics not really different to most quests we have now).

19 minutes ago, boban said:

Sure about it? I started with A16, but even there the quest (that you had obtained via quest paper like a treasure map) were a thing (simpler, like go to X position and kill some zombies... but actually in terms of core mechanics not really different to most quests we have now).

Yeah but I meant like real quests.
Not those treasuremaps and stuff...
Those were added in A17, the worst update by FAR :D

39 minutes ago, Viktoriusiii said:

I don't think we still have 'real' quests 😅

40 minutes ago, Viktoriusiii said:

On that - 100% agree. Though I remember reading around A16.4 that the game sold around 3M copies. Now TFP boast 14M on their steam page. So I guess we are in the minority and it works out for them.

It's just insane to me how this alpha feels like nothing has changed in the almost two years and yes I will say almost 2 years since someone with power here changed the title of this thread. 

Learn by doing combined with the perk system like most mods have done would have felt so much more natural for progression instead of this weird system we have now. 

The world still feels empty, overall survival when it comes to food and water doesn't feel important atleast in single player. I don't think I've ever had the need to make a farm because it was so easy finding food and drinks in loot.

The list of things that still have to be worked on before this game even considering going gold is insane. Seriously if they were to put a list of things to implement before gold this game won't be hitting that for another 8 years or so

52 minutes ago, boban said:

I don't think we still have 'real' quests 😅

On that - 100% agree. Though I remember reading around A16.4 that the game sold around 3M copies. Now TFP boast 14M on their steam page. So I guess we are in the minority and it works out for them.

well yea... 5 years of early alpha (8-16) vs 6 years of late alpha, loads of promotions, humble bundles and more... I mean I would hope so...
But yeah dumbing down the game from a horror RPG to a loot-and-shooter-TD game probably helped ^^
In all seriousness... I like the game again (A17 was horrific) even if stealth is useless (at least I didnt see any major changes to it in the patchnotes and it was useless in A20 because of sleepervolumes) but calling it an Alpha is just wrong on many levels!

5 minutes ago, Slingblade2040 said:

It's just insane to me how this alpha feels like nothing has changed in the almost two years and yes I will say almost 2 years since someone with power here changed the title of this thread. 

Common, Dekogon Studios did really great job at 3d models for them (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5BVO9P). That's something that changed :D

(yea, they also did the new water collector model it seems... maybe that's why stuff feels more generic and out of place at times, as they were new to making stuff for 7d2d)

Edited by boban (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

I'm still waiting for the new quest types they promised in A21. They said two new quest types that aren't variations of quest types we already have. Instead, they gave us one "new" type that's just a variation of what we already have.

On 6/17/2023 at 2:24 AM, Slingblade2040 said:

Just finished day 14 horde and couldn't help but think that we waited a year and a half for this?

A terrible over haul to the tech tree because the pimps can't admit that learn by doing with the attributes system is great and instead with a wish version of it. A update to graphics and us being able to pew pew through doors that have been busted open a bit and oh that change to water for some dumb reason.

They couldn't have worked on bandits and adding in the story for the Duke instead of this? Stuff that would have actually brought excitement and much needed changes to the game. Instead we get a nicer looking game, yet another over haul to the way we progress skills and some ridiculous changes to how we get water. 

Can't wait for the modders to get their hands on this because so far they are keeping this game going and entertaining. 

Couldn't agree more.

"It's in Alpha" is the usual poor excuse.

The NPC mod has allowed you to have bandits for quite some time - Why can't TFP do it... well because they're still too busy throwing game mechanics at the wall to see which one will stick...

I play regularly with a group of people and between us we have literally decades of experience in programming, gamedev, appdev, 3D, production and film.

Not a single one of us can understand why a game of this scope has taken this amount of time to finish.

I don't excactly know what the problem is at TFP - but there certainly is one.

1 hour ago, Lasher said:

Not a single one of us can understand why a game of this scope has taken this amount of time to finish.

A few years ago I would say that being victims of early success made that no market pressure works on them (which is both good and bad). But also, they sold 14M copies. So this strategy (whatever it is) clearly works for them.

12 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

... The world still feels empty, ...

This.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the game has gone downhill since A15.  In A15, we had hub cities and zombies roaming around everywhere so it felt alive. Then when they added sleepers in A16, it felt a bit empty because half the zombies were hiding in closets. It seems like every alpha since, they have been adding more and more into closets and less and less outside, so it just feels like a ghost town now.

The other day, I fired up the A15 alpha and it was thrilling.  Knowing there's no sleepers, you don't know when you're going to go around the corner and walk into a zombie who is AWAKE and ready to end you. You can't just sneak around one-shotting all the sleeping zombies like you can now.

Of course A15 also had other great stuff as well like learn by doing, lootable corpses, smell, gun parts, the wellness system. What a gloriously close to perfect alpha that was.  All they had to do was add more stuff, pretty up the UI, and fix the player models, and it would have been bliss.

Since then it feels like the Fun Pimps Police just take away options to funnel people into how they think the game must be played.